FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

parsec foley
Learning to Wiggle

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by parsec foley » Fri May 15, 2020 4:24 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 pm
agree with pieter, super nice music, brandon! and the blank ad to it, too!

----> https://soundcloud.com/brandon-logic

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 pm

i can't get the firmware to update on this no matter what i try. i've tried ts and trs cables, various volume levels and just nothing works.
is the module supposed to restart after you play the audio file? do you have to press any buttons after the file plays?
any suggestions?
i've had many modules with similar update procedures, but have never encountered a problem before... very strange.

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Sun May 17, 2020 11:50 pm

I had to turn it WAY down from my es-8 level. I'd try lower levels again

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 am

i don't really know what to say at this point. i may just be stuck with the factory effects on this one.
i've tried all volume levels- super quiet, maxed out, and everything in between. i've tried various audio programs. i've tried different cables... everything i can think of. i've probably tried about 50 times so far... mega frustrating.
are the LEDs supposed to do any kind of animation once the firmware is upgraded? is the module supposed to restart once upgraded?
i just get the two middle LEDs flashing and then once it receives audio, the two outer LEDs start to flash, and they just keep flashing even after the audio file is played. then i restart the modular, but it's never updated.
has anyone else had problems like this?

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Mon May 18, 2020 12:03 am

once you get the two outside flashing LEDs it's in error state. You click a button to get it in ready state again the two inside LEDs. Yes the lights flash a rhythmic pattern and there's a very soft beep occasionally. It's clear when it's working. Keep trying with different levels! Make sure your interface has no other outputs?

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon May 18, 2020 12:13 am

mmontazeri wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:03 am
once you get the two outside flashing LEDs it's in error state. You click a button to get it in ready state again the two inside LEDs. Yes the lights flash a rhythmic pattern and there's a very soft beep occasionally. It's clear when it's working. Keep trying with different levels! Make sure your interface has no other outputs?
Thank You!!! :tu: :party: :goo:
it finally worked. it turns out that for some reason it would instantly go into error state whenever i plugged the cable in (but i didn't realize it was an error state). so then i was playing the audio file while in that state. i was finally able to get it to remain in the ready state and it worked out.
thanks again!

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 am

Thanks again for the Tremolo preset, igorrr. I'm just testing it out now and it sounds lovely on guitar, vibe, and celeste samples.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon May 18, 2020 2:12 am

How do you tell what firmware version you're on?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Mon May 18, 2020 6:18 am

There is no firmware versions. All FX AID have the same effects list, and then it is up to the each user to update the effects.

Ibycus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ibycus » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 am

What do you guys think. Sell my Magneto for two FX aids? I find myself just using Magneto for reverb and a little delay and it takes up a lot of room.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am

Ibycus wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 am
What do you guys think. Sell my Magneto for two FX aids? I find myself just using Magneto for reverb and a little delay and it takes up a lot of room.
magneto is amazing. i have one and two fx aids and would never sell magneto. but if you are only using magneto for reverb, that is silly considering its basically bonus feature and least interesting thing about the the module haha... might as well sell it if thats the case!
I love magneto for delays, such a hands on/performative module with a great interface, it feels like a stand a alone instrument to me, and i love it for that.

Ibycus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ibycus » Fri May 22, 2020 11:52 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am
Ibycus wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 am
magneto is amazing. i have one and two fx aids and would never sell magneto. but if you are only using magneto for reverb, that is silly considering its basically bonus feature and least interesting thing about the the module haha... might as well sell it if thats the case!
I love magneto for delays, such a hands on/performative module with a great interface, it feels like a stand a alone instrument to me, and i love it for that.
Well, I use the delay for sure but I'm probably not using it to its fullest extent. That said I'm running out of space and thinking of making some room. I rarely find myself patching up Magneto but maybe I should spend some time more focused on it and see if I just haven't been giving it enough attention before selling.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat May 23, 2020 9:33 am

Stereo "Wah-Wah" with LFO control added to the Modulation category. As other similar FX AID effects if "Rate" is set to zero position - "Range" knob works as manual / CV control of the effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 am

A bit of FX AIDs will soon be delivered to Elevator Sound in UK, and later to Dupertuis Electronique SA in Switzerland.

silkynight
Wiggling with Experience

Post by silkynight » Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 am

Would love to able to buy those in Canada, really seem like amazing an amazing module.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Sat May 23, 2020 5:19 pm

so many FX to choose from. What are you favorites guys? :)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat May 23, 2020 6:03 pm

Reverb Black Cloud AND Reverb Black Hole are my most used effects.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sat May 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Any idea when these will be back in stock in USA? Maybe I missed the post.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 am

In around two weeks. USPS is workind slow these days.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun May 24, 2020 4:58 am

igorrr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:37 am
In around two weeks. USPS is workind slow these days.
Agreed - I do have sympathy for a lot of the delivery service employees having worked at UPS for a while. It is probably insane right now with everyone ordering so much.

Thanks for the update.

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Sun May 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Recently I was lucky enough to bag one of these, from a UK dealer, a while now since the craze began.

This tiny module is an outstanding addition to any rack.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am

igorrr wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:40 am
Also “Delay Tap Tempo” is added.
The first control should be placed at zero point. CV to be routed to this first control.
Sending square way will force delay to sync to this square wave’s time – Left output, Right output is 1/8 faster for the cases where this stereo ping-pong is desirable. For all other cases mono in – left out is to be used.
Hi Igor, this module looks fantastic. Can you explain the difference between Delay Sync and Delay Tap Tempo? I want to sync this delay to a clock pulse (control its timing using pulses, not continuous CV).

Also: is there any way to make the highpass delay algorithm tap-syncable (or make a version of the tap sync delay that has a highpass filter on the input or in the feedback loop? I’d love that. Thanks!

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.

I'm using one as EOC reverb so it's not that big a deal since it's the last thing but the one I'm messing around mid-chain is causing me problems. I didn't see any trimmer or anything adjustable.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 am

soon_come wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am
Hi Igor, this module looks fantastic. Can you explain the difference between Delay Sync and Delay Tap Tempo? I want to sync this delay to a clock pulse (control its timing using pulses, not continuous CV).
Also: is there any way to make the highpass delay algorithm tap-syncable (or make a version of the tap sync delay that has a highpass filter on the input or in the feedback loop? I’d love that. Thanks!
"Delay Sync" has "Divider" control to set the desired ratios of the incoming clock.
"Delay Tap Tempo" do not need this control, as it should follow the tapped time. It can also be used with ordinary clocks and "Tone" control can be adjusted to the asked HighPass in the feedback.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 am

scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.
Can we finally accept that FX AID has the optimized levels eurorack gives to us?
There is no other way to balance both high level guys and moderate level ones.
It is just not possible to have other levels and not to clip at some settings.
Some people want the FX AID to accept -10V...+10V at input, give -10V...+10V at wet output and magically have them both mixed without hitting 12 V rail limit.

FX AID's input should not exceed -7V...+7 V, which is a wise compromise.
FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”