FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by mosorensen » Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 am

igorrr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 am
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.
Can we finally accept that FX AID has the optimized levels eurorack gives to us?
There is no other way to balance both high level guys and moderate level ones.
It is just not possible to have other levels and not to clip at some settings.
Some people want the FX AID to accept -10V...+10V at input, give -10V...+10V at wet output and magically have them both mixed without hitting 12 V rail limit.

FX AID's input should not exceed -7V...+7 V, which is a wise compromise.
FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.

Amen. Thanks for clarifying and being thoughtful about this. I have FX Aid, it is my favorite reverb, and I have never had problems with the volume.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 am

igorrr wrote:
Some people want the FX AID to accept -10V...+10V at input, give -10V...+10V at wet output and magically have them both mixed without hitting 12 V rail limit.

FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.
Great explanation. FWIW I’ve emailed Igor in the past and he always responds (in the first response!) with a detailed explanation and usually a chart or graph. Incredibly good service and knowledge.

Thanks for clarifying re: my question about the sync delay as well!
https://soonco.me
(dub and dancehall gone modular)

FS (US): 2hp Delay, more...

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am

igorrr wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 am
A bit of FX AIDs will soon be delivered to Elevator Sound in UK, and later to Dupertuis Electronique SA in Switzerland.
Thanks for sharing this information, finally got hold of one. Already dispatched today, I'm excited :tu:

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue May 26, 2020 3:37 pm

igorrr wrote:
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.
Can we finally accept that FX AID has the optimized levels eurorack gives to us?
There is no other way to balance both high level guys and moderate level ones.
It is just not possible to have other levels and not to clip at some settings.

I was aware of all the limits of the Spin chip and clipping and all that but I missed the part about dropping the dry signal. Personally I'd prefer that I could choose to attenuate before or after if needed -- like most racks, I have a fuckton of attenuation but very little amplification -- but I understand now why it's like this.

It makes more sense thinking about an effect that is continually added together. I was using it as a delay with percussive sounds, giving a quiet dry signal and then quieter repeats. I generally set my levels at the VCA so by the time I get to my FX section everything has the right relative levels already and I use a bunch of other digital delays and haven't run into this before.

I think it's understandable confusion considering there's no manual documenting this!

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:39 am

Added new Tremello Reverb and Wha-Wha to pdf manual. You can modulate the Wha-Wha like a BAND-pass (whoops) filter when the rate is at zero.
Last edited by Bob Borries on Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Bob Borries wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:39 am
You can modulate the Wha-Wha like a lowpass filter when the rate is at zero.
Many thanks!
Only correction: it is Band Pass filter.

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:26 pm

Bob, there's a small typo in the algorithm name "Reverb Saturated". THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ILLUSTRATED MANUALS!!
:hail:

NoHarm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NoHarm » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:27 am

Just gonna echo the praise for the manual, it's a great aid. Thank you!

m12386
Learning to Wiggle

Post by m12386 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:25 pm

igorrr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:58 am
soon_come wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am
Hi Igor, this module looks fantastic. Can you explain the difference between Delay Sync and Delay Tap Tempo? I want to sync this delay to a clock pulse (control its timing using pulses, not continuous CV).
Also: is there any way to make the highpass delay algorithm tap-syncable (or make a version of the tap sync delay that has a highpass filter on the input or in the feedback loop? I’d love that. Thanks!
"Delay Sync" has "Divider" control to set the desired ratios of the incoming clock.
"Delay Tap Tempo" do not need this control, as it should follow the tapped time. It can also be used with ordinary clocks and "Tone" control can be adjusted to the asked HighPass in the feedback.
Wait, so the delay can be synced like Chronoblob?

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:45 am

"Delay Sync" has its time set in accordance with time interval between incoming pulses. Then this time can be changed by divide ratios.
Sync in delays is not some magic circuit like in oscillators, it is just time information.
And you do not need to provide sync pulses all the time, if no changes to bpm are needed.
You can patch sync input at start and then disconnect it - the delay will remember this bpm and will be working without sync pulses.

Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 am

Any update on when the next batch of these will be in stores? Thank you!
Electronic musician based in Houston, TX.

Original Music: https://soundcloud.com/htxedifice

DJ Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/htxedifice/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/htxedifice/

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am

I recently acquired one of these sweet modules. The sound quality on this things is wonderful. Not to be negative or mean, and I know it is highly subjective, but the sound quality buries the Tiptop Z5000, at least to my ears.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

m12386
Learning to Wiggle

Post by m12386 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:46 pm

Jlevine711 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 am
I’ve been checking analoguehaven daily for the past 2 weeks.

Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:23 pm

m12386 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:46 pm
Jlevine711 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 am
I’ve been checking analoguehaven daily for the past 2 weeks.
Ha! Me too!

MaxMyriad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MaxMyriad » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Few questions about the sample rate reduce and cv control:

You said positive CV voltages decrease the sample rate and negative voltages increase it to 48khz. Does CV 0V correspond to the default clock rate of 32.8khz?

Is the parameter assigned to be controlled by CV stored in a preset or is it global?

If it is global, Is the sample rate reduction value saved in a preset? Could I use a CV offset to set a sample rate for a preset with the CV input, then change what the CV is assigned to and have a custom sample rate for a preset while modulating a different parameter with CV?

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 am

USPS finally processed the shipment, so I hope they will deliver the box to Analogue Haven soon.

0 V applied to the Sample Rate does not change the default rate.
CV assignment is stored with each preset.

You can not have both Sample Rate changed and other parameter modulated by CV, because presets do not store modulation values.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:41 am

Post deleted

Sorry, problem solved

Jlevine711
Common Wiggler

Post by Jlevine711 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm

igorrr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 am
USPS finally processed the shipment, so I hope they will deliver the box to Analogue Haven soon.

You can not have both Sample Rate changed and other parameter modulated by CV, because presets do not store modulation values.
Thank you for the update!

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:22 pm

igorrr wrote:
Igor, when can we expect more in the UK? I have one, but want a couple more! They easily outshine my other multi FX modules.

MaxMyriad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MaxMyriad » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 pm

igorrr wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm so glad that you included the sample rate reduction aspect of this module - it really adds an entirely new dimension to each algorithm and is damn useful for so many things - lo fi/bitcrushed type sounds, extending delay/reverb times, changing delay or reverb character, tape-like warbles, spacey effects when with heavy modulation etc.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am

If everything is smooth, UK and Europe stores will be shipped in around 3-4 weeks.

virtualpt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by virtualpt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:27 pm

igorrr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am
If everything is smooth, UK and Europe stores will be shipped in around 3-4 weeks.
Looking forward to it. Thanks Igor.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 pm

igorrr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 am
:sb:

Bob Charlotte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bob Charlotte » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 am

Really interested in this module for all the great fx it includes, but I'd like to ask about the vowel filter fx... Is this similar to a formant filter? Any of you have any demo of this mode? I'm looking for a filter, but probably I'll wait for the Dual Dagger till the release, so maybe I could use the filter mode in Fx Aid (among the other fx, for sure) till then.

Scott M2
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott M2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Bob, I've only focused on the verbs, so far, but I love the Reverb Chorale, which has nice usage of vowel sounds. In this video, I use it on a pad sound coming from the Nebulae. The mix in the early part of the video is dry, so you can hear the original sound. You can see/hear the vowel changing at about 3:20 which "does" produce a nice chorale effect. I'm inferring from this that the vowel filter will have some mojo too. The H9 reverb is only on the SE-02.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”