Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: chicago

Post by Hi5 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Happy to join the few, the proud, the pre-ordered :goo:
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

User avatar
Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi5 wrote:Happy to join the few, the proud, the pre-ordered :goo:
Welcome! :party: :moneyburn:

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:30 pm

E370 Quad VCO + E520 in 'Shimmer' mode = InstantEno

[video][/video]

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:07 pm


User avatar
synonymist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm
Contact:

Post by synonymist » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:22 am

Due to needing very expensive dental repairs (surprise!), I will not be preordering an E520 after all. :waah:

Paul and Eric, I wish you Good Luck with the project. I look forward to hearing what players do with their E520s before it goes into production for retail next year. :)

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:42 pm

KickStarter running 15Nov to 15Dec, hopefully that will suffice. :75:

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Wed 30Oct at 11PM Texas Time will be last chance for avoiding KickStarter, and getting a low price on a pre-order.

www.synthtech.com/shop

User avatar
Addam
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:40 pm
Location: Hudson Valley

Post by Addam » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Just got my order in. :nana: :deadbanana: Can't wait for more demos - maybe with quantization turned off on some spectral and pitch shifting effects please?

That said, I would love if there was a way to implement some sort of slewing on the quantization whereby when applying CV it will "smoothly" (depending on input) reach the quantized amount rather than stepping (would also allow for constant swirls when CV is an LFO for instance.

Chaos
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:04 am

Post by Chaos » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:30 am

Ordered mine yesterday.
Very happy with my e370 and I think the e520 will be another great module.

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm

a) pre-order period finished. The KickStarter funding level will be dropped to $40K (from $43K).

b) added 5 new demos from Russell Brower, the guy that composed all of the WoW (World or Warcraft) music. 1 time and 4 spectral effects.

www.synthtech.com/eurorack/E520_DEMO

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4953
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Post by thetwlo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:01 am

paults wrote:a) pre-order period finished. The KickStarter funding level will be dropped to $40K (from $43K).

b) added 5 new demos from Russell Brower, the guy that composed all of the WoW (World or Warcraft) music. 1 time and 4 spectral effects.

www.synthtech.com/eurorack/E520_DEMO
paypal has cancelled other "pre-orders" and refunded all.
is this approved by paypal? All it takes is one person that wants their money back, and can't wait, this looks great but that's the reason I didn't get in.

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 pm

This is a prototype panel with the controls and the LCD taped on the back (driven over a 2ft cable from the breadboard)

I have zero photography skills, but you can get the general idea.

Things may move slightly, ink is free, etc.

Image

User avatar
Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:35 am
Contact:

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:13 pm

Love it! Things are moving forward! :party:

User avatar
trickness
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Post by trickness » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I don’t see an obvious way in the interface above to get back to the top level of the menu - Any chance you can designate a back button or menu button that brings you up to the top level of navigation?

paults
mice nuts
Posts: 4472
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 am

Post by paults » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Look at the upper left, there is a highlighted 'TOP' where the curser is.

Sorry, hard to focus the camera on LCD as knobs are 'in front'

Paul S.

User avatar
Modulus
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Florida

Post by Modulus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:21 am

Hi Paul,
Loving the fx and demos so far on this. I know it's a long shot but any possibility to get a VHS Degradation effect akin to this cooperfx generation loss pedal?

Would be amazing to have this in euro and in stereo.

User avatar
emeb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Post by emeb » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Modulus wrote:Hi Paul,
Loving the fx and demos so far on this. I know it's a long shot but any possibility to get a VHS Degradation effect akin to this cooperfx generation loss pedal?

Would be amazing to have this in euro and in stereo.
We've actually got several algorithms already that include filtering, distortion and "warble" similar to what you hear there.

User avatar
Modulus
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Florida

Post by Modulus » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 am

emeb wrote:
Modulus wrote:Hi Paul,
Loving the fx and demos so far on this. I know it's a long shot but any possibility to get a VHS Degradation effect akin to this cooperfx generation loss pedal?

Would be amazing to have this in euro and in stereo.
We've actually got several algorithms already that include filtering, distortion and "warble" similar to what you hear there.
Thanks!

Actually this one sounds pretty close
https://soundcloud.com/paul-t-schreiber ... anomelt-ii

This module is rad.
Last edited by Modulus on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Post by robotfunk » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it. What is the output level?

User avatar
AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:01 pm
Location: Boston

Post by AbundantChoice » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 am

paults wrote:This is a prototype panel with the controls and the LCD taped on the back (driven over a 2ft cable from the breadboard)
It's the tiniest of things, but to echo what someone brought up earlier, the "top text" feels currently wrong somehow. The "E520 Hyperion Processor" part above the knobs feels crowded, which also makes the "Stereo Effects Processor / 24bit * 48khz" feel strangely empty, and the lack of horizontal alignment between the two doesn't help.

Could you just put all the text to the left over the screen? You could probably then combine "Stereo Effects Processor" and "Hyperion Processor" into one line.

User avatar
emeb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Post by emeb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:33 pm

robotfunk wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it. What is the output level?
The E520 I/O is set up to handle 14Vpp inputs. Since it's an "effect" not strictly a generator, the output level will depend on the input signal. Suffice to say that if you put in X, you'll get out roughly X, but never more than 14Vpp.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Some ideas I had as I was watching the interview with Ken:

- Harmonic Shifter. For bins above a level threshold, the level of a selected set of harmonics/subharmonics is increased while the level of the original frequency is reduced by some adjustable ratio. Bins outside the threshold pass through unchanged. The sets could be things like "octave down," "octave up," "third harmonic," "triode", "pentode" etc.

- Spectral Transient Designer. Sort of the opposite of peak hold, the idea is either to blunt transients or to suppress sustained frequencies so the transients are emphasized (or an odd combination of both). Parameters are attack time, decay time, tilt, and sensitivity. "Tilt" shortens/lengthens the decay times for lower/higher frequencies. I'm guessing that some combination of slope detection and thresholds would be best for deciding when the envelopes should be triggered and reset.

- Spectral Balance. Spectral tilt EQ, highpass and lowpass, and a strong/weak balance control. It automatically decides which bins are "strong" (if any) relative to the rest, perhaps with a sensitivity adjustment if that makes sense. This would be great for synth voices like the Lyra-8, whose oscillators have ridiculously strong resonances and always calls for narrow EQ cuts to make it more listenable.

User avatar
emeb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Post by emeb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Interesting ideas. The main issue with doing anything that depends on peak finding in the spectral domain is that the algorithms quickly devolve into a messy state-tracking problem with horrible-sounding edge conditions as signals dither across the arbitrary thresholds.

The output of the short-time Fourier transform front-end of the spectral processing isn't just a simple list of frequencies/amplitudes either. The OLA window results in clusters of bins all of which are referencing the nearby peaks, so when one is trying to do any operations on specific tones it's necessary to do identical operations on all the bins in the clusters associated with that tone otherwise the result has arbitrary constructive/destructive interference issues. That gets hairy really fast.

Thanks for the concepts - not saying they're impossible so I'll throw them on the big pile of suggestions I'm gathering.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4445
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:07 pm

emeb wrote:The OLA window results in clusters of bins all of which are referencing the nearby peaks, so when one is trying to do any operations on specific tones it's necessary to do identical operations on all the bins in the clusters associated with that tone otherwise the result has arbitrary constructive/destructive interference issues. That gets hairy really fast.

Thanks for the concepts - not saying they're impossible so I'll throw them on the big pile of suggestions I'm gathering.
Ah, didn't realize that. This goes way beyond the little bit of messing with spectral vocoder stuff I did in VST plugins :)

Thanks :)

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6866
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:
paults wrote:This is a prototype panel with the controls and the LCD taped on the back (driven over a 2ft cable from the breadboard)
It's the tiniest of things, but to echo what someone brought up earlier, the "top text" feels currently wrong somehow. The "E520 Hyperion Processor" part above the knobs feels crowded, which also makes the "Stereo Effects Processor / 24bit * 48khz" feel strangely empty, and the lack of horizontal alignment between the two doesn't help.

Could you just put all the text to the left over the screen? You could probably then combine "Stereo Effects Processor" and "Hyperion Processor" into one line.
I agree. Actually thev only text needed is "E520 Hyperion Processor" where "Stereo Effects Processor / 24bit * 48khz" is now

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”