Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Here is the FULL preview of the E520 Kickstarter campaign.
This link WILL re-direct to the 'live & launched' page tomorrow, 1PM Eastern.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Backed!

atl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by atl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:34 pm

So excited! Is there anything in particular that pre-orderers can do to help the campaign?

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Spread the word!

50% funded in < 1 hour :75: :75: :75: :bananaguitar: :sb:

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:29 pm

paults wrote:
50% funded in < 1 hour :75: :75: :75: :bananaguitar: :sb:
No surprise there - Go Paul! :sb:

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 pm

In! Was tempted by the Pod option, but I think i'm going to end up with a MakeNoise Skiff that has the E520 and my other "effects" in it (like the Recovery Cutting Room Floor & Pearl, etc), along with my ES-9 for sending stuff into / out of the computer. Conceptually, it'd look neat to put it right next to my E370, but I conceptually think of the E370 as the "start" of the system and the E520 will be the "end" so in my mind they can't really go next to each other.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 am

***FUNDED*** in 20hrs.

Thanks everyone, please help my promoting on your own FB feeds, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Let's hit the 4 stretch goals :sb: :goo: :bananaguitar:

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:29 am

:party: :sb: :yay:

motorhead412
Common Wiggler

Post by motorhead412 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:04 pm

Son of a gun. I'm finding myself considering jumping on the bandwagon for the spectral effects. Personal finances be damned!

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:46 pm

[video][/video]

Info copied from the YouTube description below.

Here's the early prototype of the new E520 Hyperion Processor from Synthesis Technology. To me this is really the next generation of audio processing and FX in the Eurorack format. Having the prototype to play around with I wanted to get this out to show you the great sounds already in the unit, which is constantly getting updates and new features even at this stage. Head to the links below to support it on Kickstarter and for more info.

Kickstarter - http://bit.ly/E520kickstarter
Website - http://bit.ly/E520website

TIMING INDEX // SECTIONS

00:00 Hello etc etc

00:57 Video patch previews

02:26 Features and walkthrough

03:25 Resampling Mini-Delay (Tape, BBD, Clean)

06:01 Stereo Pitch Shifter

08:34 Stereo Frequency Shifter (+ Ring Modulation)

12:40 Spectral Delay + Pitch Shifter

13:57 Stereo Shimmer Reverb (patch one)

17:05 Stereo Shimmer Reverb (patch two)

18:05 Spectral Crusher

19:41 Stereo Flanger Delay (with LUSH diffusion!)

21:43 Auto Wah

22:02 Stereo Chorus

23:29 Spectral Time Machine (doing this real time is NUTS!)

26:37 Phaser
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:31 am

very cool ben, great to see (and hear) it in action. well done!

while watching the video, i wondered if paul and the team had considered developing any comb filter algos. stereo combs (with a bit of distortion) are endlessly pleasing to my ears.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 am

Bother the Phaser and the Flanger are comb filters. If you want them 'fixed', just turn off the LFO modulation,

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 pm

yeah,
now build some funky "spectral shitz" into the feedback path of comb filters,
then we´re speaking. ;)

and how about Freq shifters directly interwoven into Feedback paths ?
i´ve never seen such :despair:

and now combine both.......and we leave the territory what we can patch "diy". ;)

and how about a series of comb filters with predefined morph controls under the hood ?
for funky Funs. Percussions etc.

how about to grab some tiny snippets from your live In audio stream and blow these snippets up with fancy resonators ?
again: morph controls and fancy filtering within the feedback paths

and: speaking in general: are you Folks ever implementing "compression within feedback pathes + deriving control signals from the compressor like a comp would do ( ENVFollow) and then controlling filters within that feedback path by the compresor thats in that feedback path ?
Bring wild blooming under control and even further, use it as a cadeaux to form the sound.

what i see, and as far i can tell has this module the same processing power like the "spectralis" has/had.
The Spectralis was immense ( spectralis had a 500mhz CPU running under the hood )
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:52 pm

paults wrote:Bother the Phaser and the Flanger are comb filters. If you want them 'fixed', just turn off the LFO modulation,
Any chance the comb filters can track 1v/oct. ?

emeb
Common Wiggler

Post by emeb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:50 pm

brickman wrote:
paults wrote:Bother the Phaser and the Flanger are comb filters. If you want them 'fixed', just turn off the LFO modulation,
The flanger algorithm has a "frequency" input mode that is exponential and can be dialed in nearly 1V/Oct. Because the CV paths on the module are run thru attenuators they're not calibrated the way the 1V/Oct on an oscillator would be, but it's pretty close.

Note the the flanger can also be set up for Karplus-Strong type resonant feedback. You can ping it with raw impulses or run them thru the diffuser for less plucked and more bowed sounds.

Synthnerd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Synthnerd » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:52 pm

With goal #2 achieved to make each channel more independent from the other, would it make sense to have separate sync inputs for each channel? Wondering if this would also allow for the same or different effects in each channel to be triggered/ synced separately at different rates, then mixed in or out of phase internally or by an external module after output to find sweet spots. If panel space is an issue, could use a stereo input jack with a split input cable for separate syncs and have a mono plug in controlling both channels the same. Just thinking out loud.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 pm

:yay:
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks to a strong 'Black Friday' and 'Cyber Monday' surge, we have crossed $80K and the 2nd of 4 Stretch Goals.

I now wish to explain EXACTLY what to expect when you get this unit, as there have been questions about "chaining" and what it means in the E520.
Many people have asked since the launch: "can I chain effects?" and I have always taken this to mean "can I pick 1 of 32 to be in front, followed by another effect?" and the answer has always been no.

The UI and CV scheme doesn't support it, the patch manager doesn't support it, and the ARM speed is just not fast enough to chain certain algorithms. The main reason is this: if each algorithm uses all 4 CV inputs, and you chain that to another one that needs 3, how is this even done?

So, what exactly DO you get with Stretch Goal #2. The short answer is: well-defined factory presets that are a compromise in sharing the CVs to make the overall algorithm manageable. And, you are getting 2 TYPES of 'chaining': a stereo algorithm on a chain, and also 2 completely different algorithms on L/R signal paths. Let's discuss each.

The first set of algorithms will be 2 effects in a chain, which are in stereo. This will be most like current algorithm, but not as many controls for each 'block'. What we will have to decide on carefully is what does "feedback" do? Is it a feedback "of the chain"? Maybe the best use is a feedback around only 1 of the 2 'signal blocks' (like around a Delay to get repeats). This will take a lot of beta testing, tweaking, and arguments.
The second type will be what I will call a 'Split': like a delay on Left and a Shimmer on Right, but these are MONO effects. Now what is cool is that with 1 patch cable, you now can have them 'chained' as well. Again, each algorithm will be a CV/options reduced version from the "originals". IN MONO.

Lastly, the production patch memory will double from the breadboards which will allow the 'chained' and 'split' patches not to "count" against the 32 maximum total. There still can be 32, stereo, single algorithms, and probably 16 'split/chained' ones loaded in at the same time.

This is where the backers can have a say: since these are factory presets, what splits/chains do YOU want to see? There is a detailed PDF of every effect and how every CV/button is used on the E520 product page on the SynthTech website. We encourage everyone to download and look this over, then think about what makes sense and then HOW the CVs/buttons are re-assigned. It's a daunting task, even for us.

If we get little input, you will (initially at least) be "stuck" with what the design/beta team decides. So, please ponder this and tell us what YOU think is a good combo.

Thanks again for hitting #2, and here's hoping for hitting the remaining 2 as time start to run out. Spread the word!

brickman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by brickman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:36 am

emeb wrote:
brickman wrote:
The flanger algorithm has a "frequency" input mode that is exponential and can be dialed in nearly 1V/Oct. Because the CV paths on the module are run thru attenuators they're not calibrated the way the 1V/Oct on an oscillator would be, but it's pretty close.

Note the the flanger can also be set up for Karplus-Strong type resonant feedback. You can ping it with raw impulses or run them thru the diffuser for less plucked and more bowed sounds.
Good to hear :tu:

duck1887
Common Wiggler

Post by duck1887 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm really hoping we hit the last 2 stretch goals since they sound awesome. :sb:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 pm

We re-wrote the Looper algorithm from scratch. Added variable 4th order tape saturation, some feedback EQ, pitch shifters, reversing without 'pops' or 'clicks', and a 'Degrade' mode.

Full notes on the soundcloud page.

http://soundcloud.com/paul-t-schreiber/ ... tionall-rr

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Is it possible to have some sort of Spectral Morphing between two different sounds?

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:32 pm

New E520 Hyperion Effects Processor demo, featuring the newly re-vamped Spectral Time Machine algorithm.

1 week left on the KickStarter campaign:

Around the 0:58 mark, the 'Spectral Feedback' is applied, and then the recording eventually dissolves into primordial swamp goo.

http://soundcloud.com/paul-t-schreiber/ ... backapollo

emeb
Common Wiggler

Post by emeb » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:59 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:Is it possible to have some sort of Spectral Morphing between two different sounds?
Could you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by this?

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am

Just backed this project while not being a big fan of Kickstarter. I'd rather wait until the finished product is available but in this case I just hope the project reaches "Stretch Goal #3 - $105,000: Spectral Drone Machine algorithm. Creates an ambient drone from a small time sample of incoming audio."

Spectral Drone Machine just sounds like such an awesome idea, especially for a fan of drones like myself.

3 days to go!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”