Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Franktree
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Post by Franktree » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 am

AbundantChoice wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:46 pm
GryphonP3 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:56 pm
Anyone know if we can check out order status somewhere? In love with my new e370 and waiting eagerly :D
Quoting from the Sunday update to the Facebook group:

"26July Sunday PM Update
All of the E520 pre-KickStarter orders will ship this week. If you ordered before Nov 15th and have not received a E520 Confirmation email, please PM me.
I will start back shipping KickStarter orders, BLACK PANELS ONLY, later this week. If you are Backer #1 to Backer #33, you should have already received your SILVER panel. I will ship the black panels only until Backer #33, and then sequentially to the last Backer, #221.
I will estimate 4-5 weeks to ship the entire KS backlog.
Then, I will take a 10 day vacation (from shipping. Mostly will play video games and pinball).
After that, I will finish the post-KS orders."
That's a bummer, since it's quite contrary to everyone getting theirs by August 10. But I guess it's unsurprising, and what tends to happen. I'm sure they're doing their best to get whatever they can out as quickly as they can.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:54 am

"They" is one dude. And a cat.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 am

AbundantChoice wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:46 pm

Quoting from the Sunday update to the Facebook group:
Paul, i thought we would get exactly this information on the KS news mail ?
I was waiting for that type of information.

i for example don´t touch facebook.
( anyway, i have my picture now down, thanks !....guess the timing is perfect for me :tu: )

1960strat
Common Wiggler

Post by 1960strat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:36 am

A perfect module for my Euro FX rack. Any idea when full production to happen?

Fastus
Better safe than sober

Post by Fastus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:50 pm

Got my unit last Tuesday, here's a first go at some sound
"If fame is a penthouse in Manhattan, you're living in a yurt in Mongolia" - C. Berton Irwin

NEW EP: https://fastus.bandcamp.com/album/terra-incognito
www.soundcloud.com/fastus
www.soundcloud.com/problivion

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm

Nice demo!

For me, the Shimmer Reverb isn't as inspiring or useful as almost everything else -- but I guess it really comes down to the source material, because it was working for you there.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Lyra-8 into Spectral Crusher (threshold mode) and then Valhalla Delay is flipping awesome.

Lyra-8 often has really strong resonances that usually need some surgical EQ. But if you set the high threshold to about 40%, then the quieter harmonics and noise and stuff is what gets through. Just a little touch of phase blur -- right on the low edge of 1% -- and some feedback, and it goes all fuzzily lush.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Just got mine racked up tonight!! :sb:

Menu is VERY easy to navigate.

@starthief Any tips on using the Phase Blur setting on the spectral algos? Increasing this past a couple percents seems to add a swirling low bitrate effect.. which.. I don't think is the intent? Admittedly, spectral processing is new to me (and I haven't been modulating heavily). That said, spectral time machine unquantized is instant sea-sick, bad (good) horror movie dream sequence drone fun.

Getting some fun sounds using spectral crusher (PeakHold) as a really nasty reverb of sorts.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 pm

Yeah, PeakHold can be a cool quasi-reverb for sure.

I usually keep the phase blur off or really low. Once in a while I find a use for stronger blur, but it's pretty rare. One of the algos (Spectral Time Machine I think?) lets you set the max blur amount to have finer knob control, which is helpful.

So far I haven't been modulating very much either, with the spectral stuff especially -- finding a sweet spot and parking it seems to work well. But I feel like Resampling delay really wants to be jiggled and warbled, and playing with rates on Deflector Shield or flangers etc. is always fun. I will probably always use an external modulation source since I find the internal LFOs a little awkward compared to everything else in the interface.

MP3 compression uses spectral transforms, so it's no wonder there's some similarity between some kinds of spectral processing and low-bitrate MP3 artifacts.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:46 am

starthief wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 pm
I usually keep the phase blur off or really low. Once in a while I find a use for stronger blur, but it's pretty rare. One of the algos (Spectral Time Machine I think?) lets you set the max blur amount to have finer knob control, which is helpful.

So far I haven't been modulating very much either, with the spectral stuff especially -- finding a sweet spot and parking it seems to work well. But I feel like Resampling delay really wants to be jiggled and warbled, and playing with rates on Deflector Shield or flangers etc. is always fun. I will probably always use an external modulation source since I find the internal LFOs a little awkward compared to everything else in the interface.
Ah, good to know. When I have a chance I'll mess around with really low amounts and see if I can find what I'd theoretically be trying to do with it, exactly.

Resampling delay seemed like the most immediate fun. I was getting interesting stuff right out of the gate. Chowder delay I don't think will be my thing but who knows! I can see some fun making drones with this and reverberating or filtering after to smooth it out.. Deflector Shield was one of my first modules and I definitely didn't "get it" then and traded it away so I'm really looking forward to getting a second chance with that one. Up until now I always patched in mono and this is making me think I need to connect that second input on my interface :hihi:

I think the LFOs might be more useful when saving and recalling algorithms for me. It took a minute to realize the offset on the LFOs is a dc offset and not a phase offset (relative to tap? I don't know what I was thinking haha). Am I crazy or does assigning an lfo to a parameter eliminate the possibility of adding external CV (makes sense) or even an offset with the parameter knob (I need this!)?

The onboard HPF and limiters seem immensely useful for feedback stuff especially when pitching down. Have not played with the Moses screen yet. Paul should've made a stretch goal of using CV to animate a gif or something :razz:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:48 am

Addam wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:46 am
Resampling delay seemed like the most immediate fun. I was getting interesting stuff right out of the gate.
It took me a little bit of time to get it, but now that I do, I love that thing. You can use tap tempo and still modulate the delay time to get some subtle pitch shifting (it'll change the delay length automatically to keep it on rhythm), or just use a lower delay time for darker, downsampled delays. And the filter built in is a nice touch.
Addam wrote:
Am I crazy or does assigning an lfo to a parameter eliminate the possibility of adding external CV (makes sense) or even an offset with the parameter knob (I need this!)?
Yeah, it does. There's no more knob control for that parameter. Maybe in a firmware update, the LFO offset can be assigned to a param knob, to restore that control?

(I'm pretty sure that the Param and Mod knobs are an analog offset and attenuator, and the combined value goes into the ADC -- so the firmware can't treat Param and Mod knobs separately. Otherwise it'd be cool to have the Param knob control the offset and Mod either LFO depth or rate (or both) depending on settings.)
Addam wrote:
The onboard HPF and limiters seem immensely useful for feedback stuff especially when pitching down.
Yep, I set the HPF on everything :) It's also helpful on stereo delays and reverbs to keep the low end dry.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am

With internal LFO - Param to control offset and mod to control depth or rate would be fantastic for wiggling. I'd also settle for just being able to use param as offset and sacrifice mod depth knob. Tap tempo reset on LFOs would be great, too. Making them syncable (eg lfo would complete 1/2 rotation per tap) to tempo might be interesting, too, though I generally don't personally like everything so tightly locked together.

Great idea with tap tempo and delay time modulation. Will definitely be trying that next time. Looking forward to running a drum machine through this.

Curious about techniques for getting around not having a feedback send/return (I know there are a dozen feedback threads on here). Say I want to insert a filter in a delay path - do people typically set the output to 100% wet, feedback to 0% and mix delay out with the dry signal and send that mix out back to the input? Is it just a mult of the delay out that is then monitored? Would a crossfader be more effective here?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

Addam wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:34 am
Curious about techniques for getting around not having a feedback send/return (I know there are a dozen feedback threads on here). Say I want to insert a filter in a delay path - do people typically set the output to 100% wet, feedback to 0% and mix delay out with the dry signal and send that mix out back to the input? Is it just a mult of the delay out that is then monitored? Would a crossfader be more effective here?
There are a couple of choices:

- You could just use a basic mixer or crossfader like you said, with the delay 100% wet and no feedback (though you could fudge the feedback level a little if it sounds better). Mult the mixer output to the delay input and the next thing in the chain. Filter can go before or after the delay (it could make a small difference).

- You could use two mixers, and mult the dry signal and the delay output to both of them. One mixer controls the feedback, the other the output wet/dry mix. You get more control this way.

- You could use a matrix mixer. The basic technique is just like using the above. But you could get fancy and put the filter into the matrix as well.

- Something I like to do with feedback loops (usually more complex ones with, say, a reverb and a pitch shifter) is tap two different places (e.g. before and after one of the modules) for outputs, and use them for mid/side stereo. :party:

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:31 am

Nice. thanks for the tips n techniques. This thing being stereo in and out obviously begs for some crosspatching too.. I'd say the multi-tap delay would be an obvious contender but looking at the manual and it might get complicated enough just with what's available internally! I'll post back if I get something worth sharing.

XPump
Common Wiggler

Post by XPump » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:28 pm

HEDWIG-E570.jpg
HEDWIG-E570.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 418 times

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:08 pm

paults wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am
I expect all placed orders (pre-KS. KS, post-KS) to ship by August 10th
what happened Paul, are you fine ?

i got no kickstarter news, no shipment notification ( which i´d expected to see till friday),
and: i have no facebook.

do you have any news ?

denuir
Common Wiggler

Post by denuir » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm

The following is Paul’s most recent update through KS:

Have successfully moved all the shipping drop-off to 1 location. They have shown no issues. Customs in Germany and now Australia are delaying customs clearance, but unsure exactly why. Eventually after 2-4 days they release the package. Switzerland of all places leads the world in fast delivery (32hrs from drop-off to delivery).

I will be shipping fewer E520s this week due to several factors, like the dentist.

I expect to ship to somewhere in the Backer #53-#56 range.

Please remember to check emails for any Message I may send. You will get Messages only if I need something (payment, a phone #, etc). And....these Messages are sent only when I am ~ 1 week away from shipping. If you are Backer #196, it's going to be a while :)

Funky40 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:08 pm
paults wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am
I expect all placed orders (pre-KS. KS, post-KS) to ship by August 10th
what happened Paul, are you fine ?

i got no kickstarter news, no shipment notification ( which i´d expected to see till friday),
and: i have no facebook.

do you have any news ?

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:50 pm

denuir wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm
The following is Paul’s most recent update through KS:

I expect to ship to somewhere in the Backer #53-#56 range.
Thanks !.......i got that too, since i get the KS news too. But that was last sunday ( 8 days ago).
i´m a bit concerned ........./ hope all is well.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Great! 💩 I’m #171. Guess I’ll get mine right around the time we get a Covid vaccine.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm

hmmm,......... :hmm:

where is Paul ?
has anything happened ?

there are NO KS news, which is NOT how he would act if everything was fine......
he might delay shipments....because he wanted first to rent a Ferrari and go on a drive in beautiful America or so, ;)
but he definitly would keep his KS update running..........

hope he stays well !

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:54 pm

I got an email from Paul about something else 4 days ago.

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:08 pm

I received my UPS tracking number yesterday; he's shipping as fast as current conditions allow.

TEKBRAIN
Common Wiggler

Post by TEKBRAIN » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm
hmmm,......... :hmm:

where is Paul ?
has anything happened ?

there are NO KS news, which is NOT how he would act if everything was fine......
he might delay shipments....because he wanted first to rent a Ferrari and go on a drive in beautiful America or so, ;)
but he definitly would keep his KS update running..........

hope he stays well !
Best way to have update, the Facebook page of the company. You'll have updates from him in a matter of minutes!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/929892040372644

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:35 pm

ok, thanks everybody !
ahh, i see......

denuir
Common Wiggler

Post by denuir » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Nothing is worth joining Facebook