Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mrfang
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Synth Tech e520 Hyperion Stereo Audio Processor

Post by mrfang » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Loving the "Moses" feature. And some other algorithms. :)
FS/T: Malekko Manther Growl, Make Noise Echophon, Livewire AFG, PAiA Gnome, Sequential Circuits MultiTrak, Bastl Knit Rider, ARC Artificial Neural Network.
FT: EMS Synthi AKS (1972, without KS), any 4ms modules.
WTB/T: Bastl SoftPop, LZX modules, Wavemakers modular, EML 300, 301, 400.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Might that be 4 individual v/o inputs for roll your own chords?

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Sounds great. I assume there will be an unquantized mode, too? That said, would also love if you could somehow implement a slew on one of the CVs for v/oct (ie. knob at 9 oclock is a fast slew, slow at 3 oclock), especially for chord mode. Maybe possible to calculate separate slew rates for different intervals so they all arrive on the chord at the same time? Though it might sound nice for notes that are spread further apart to reach their pitch destination later, too.

Keep the teasers coming!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:45 pm

ok, sorry for long post ! ( and from a non native english speaking one)
edit: (please don´t read if bored, thanks )

my main wish for the E520 beside "spectral" stuff that i can´t frame or phrase out, since i´m coming from a VST which is way more complex than what E520 ever could handle with its UI is:

a special delay that is mainly tailored for Resonating sounds !
which incorporates granularisation inclouding a grain seed, but not tailored towards that the user could control the seed with triggers or so.
NOT mainly tailored towrads cloudy atmospheres, but towards bloominh feedbacks and to act there within as the special sauce.

just: ad a grainsize parameter, a grain-quantity parameter, tailor the delay times at least in its lowest range towards resonating sounds that can go up to something like 250ms in the upper part of the pots stroke.
tailor the whole granualar thing to work with kranked feedback.
put L-R feedback on one knob, same for Mix, to free up these controls.

in fact, do i refer here to a special patch .....and more so a special type of sound......that can be had allready with the MI Clouds "parasites" Granular mode.
These sounds i refer to are not possible with the original Clouds FW, btw. .

the point of that FX is:
to get resonatings going,
to combine pitchshifting with it,
to control that blooming (and other aspects) further by adjusting the grain-size parameter,
to create a special form of sound smearing, and then: all togeteher in one.
Its a FX that IS dependent on dynamic manual wiggling or cV controls.

i heard btw. exactly that type of sounds in several Hollywood Films . "Wow" sounds, you can bet.
.....not shure where you could go with Kyma, but i´ve not seen anything other than clouds which could do those sounds.

But: clouds was not tailored to do resonating stuff, it has the FB and Mix parameter hidden and only one at a time available,
and finally, the pitchshifting does not sound exactly good.

i know, what some folks might want answer here,..............
have you ever told Paul he should NOT release the E440 Filter, since there are allready other filters available ;)
But you would tell me, i know..........go patch with Clouds ! ( oh well, thats what i´m allready doing, and i´m entirely pro on that :lol: )
fun fact: it took me months to be able to replicate that sound that i do with clouds with the microcell ! and i even just get halfways there,
ITs NOT the same !
and i´m quite convinced that i could NOT do it with the "monsoon" variant.
at least aslong we speak about using onboard controls.
i also never heard that sound in any Clouds demo with two half exeptions:
one guy had a wild jam, where that type of sound sometimes emerged, ....so halfways,
And i saw a long talk YT Vid with Ben ( Divkid) where he used a patch which is based on exactly that to "monster-morph" his voice.
a slight different patch respectivly use than what i patch, but based on the same principles.

would be great if you´d be willing to bring that *very special* sound aspect that Clouds "can" deliver, into the E520.
the trick with that type of FX is btw. to totally understand the whole interdependency of the parameters, especially the blooing effect of the feedback and its interdependencys,
since the trick is totally to get it just to bloom for a moment.

there is afaik right now now other hardware, module, or software that could make that type of blooming-resonating sound with that gloriousity and magic than clouds has. its entirely magic !

Now, one of the tricks and fun things with that type of FX respectivly patch is what happens when the grain-size is shifted !
thats the part that counts, on top of what i worded out above.
I don´t know what happens inside in the realm of numbers in the dsp, but there must happen some permanent glitching,
.........kind of glitching thru the recordet buffer.
the blooming is one, that type of glitching the other, and then: combine it !

its a dynamic thing , a FX that come only to live if you wiggle/play it by plan !
but that type of FX has finally many many faces to had. you can leave pitchshift and granularisation alone set to default values, then you have a delay ( which *really* should be tailored here to the "resonating" range......plus up to 250ms in its last third of the pots stroke /
........funnily, the needed delay part is finally coming from the grain seed and sgrain size )

hope its clear what i mean, hope i can trigger you ;)

in regards to spectral FX:
all the given ones in the E520 have 512 bands, right ?
in the spectral FX´es that i use are 128 or 256 bands also often a superinteresting option, and sometimes the better choice.
( GRM Tools, and unfiltered audios "SpecOps" )

personally, i have a superhard time to justifie the Rackspace that the E520 is taking.
i really hope to see some progress in direction of creative uses.

one of the E520 big strengts is definitly its pitchshifting quality !
please build some up on that.
please think way more open that you seem to do......

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Each of the 4 resonators has it's own CV input, so you can "roll your own chords" when the quantizer is set to OFF

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 pm

paults wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Each of the 4 resonators has it's own CV input, so you can "roll your own chords" when the quantizer is set to OFF
WooHoo!!!! Thanks Paul

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:05 pm

another request would be a kind of "enveloped (percussion) Delay", which would renquire percussive material to be sent in i guess.

Extract from each audio hit that comes in a trigger, ......trigger something like a AHD envelope,.....aplly that envelope to the related audio snippet,
DON´T even think about adding a dedicated lenght control per trigger/audio snippet, .......just add one general "Lenght" control,
aplly it to the single "audio snippets/taps" with something like a S&H.

a full controllability of the audio Echoes lenght would not be given,
but a funny way to lively up the things with just one CV for Lenght,
which is absolutely how we think and patch in eurorack-land.

I imagine it would be real fun and useful for "undense" percussions or Drums to lively things up

edit: if feedback could also be apllyed in that S&H way as above, now that would be fun, ....more thinking wowards to let the snippets resonate ;)

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:00 am

***E520 Hyperion Stereo Effect Processor LAST TIME PREORDERS AVAILABLE***
I have been keeping track of order cancellations and inventory and there will be a limited number of E520s available before moving to dealer-only sales.

Please read the following carefully if you are interested in buying these.
a) I will enable the cart at 1PM Texas Time on Friday the 25th
b) there are 20 black and 10 silver, no PODx combos as in the KS
c) I use UPS and DHL (overseas), shipping is expensive and USPS is a train wreck
d) these will ship the 2nd half of Nov.
e) the cost is $659 plus shipping which will be calculated in the cart. This shipping covers insurance but not VAT.
If the pre-orders do not sell out before I start shipping to dealers, which is also the middle of Nov, I will close the pre-orders. Read carefully: I said sell out, not begin shipping. So, I suggest ordering before Nov 10th.

Info/demos/PDF of the algorithms here:
www.synthtech.com/eurorack/E520

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:57 am

New E520 Hyperion "Headspace" demo! Extensive description on the SoundCloud page. Demo by Robert Rich, algorithm development by Eric Brombaugh.

Headphones will give a more 'intense' effect (more "motion")

This uses 4 different manipulations (Haas effect, mid-side processor, phase, and comb filters) to create wide-image stereo from mono sources. Unlike a simple L/R panner (which is based on volume), Headspace uses 4 chained DSP algorithms to create a more 'natural' stereo field, with full voltage control over placement, 'distance', and 'room ambience'.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:48 pm

that sounds like a really cool new way to put something in the stereo field. cant wait to get mine and try it out, although i think im likely one of the very last ones to ship

denuir
Common Wiggler

Post by denuir » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 pm

@paults do you have an update on shipping? I’m kickstarter backer #138 and it was my understanding you were getting near my number a week or so ago.

*received the shipping notification - thank you paults

emeb
Common Wiggler

Post by emeb » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:01 am

Here's a preliminary demo of the final new algo for the next firmware release. Dirt is a toolkit for adding grit, grunge and distortion.

emeb
Common Wiggler

Post by emeb » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:23 pm

One of the four new effects in the upcoming V1.1 firmware release is an augmented version of the original Spectral Drone algorithm that has 4x more resolution than the original. Here's a demo of that with a simple test sequence. Then starting at about 16 seconds I add a 2nd E520 unit running the Shimmer Reverb for an even fuller sound.

Addam
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Addam » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:42 am

Looking forward to the update. Headspace is really interesting, at times sounding like a fun reverb (for instance, about 1:06-1:10). Is this just a product of the sound "moving" around in the stereo image? Curious if this would do anything interesting with 2 waveforms that are very closely tuned (and beating) or 2 waves FMing each other. Hopefully nothing causing brains to totally melt in skulls ;)

Wasn't expecting much from Dirt but sounds like there's some fun stuff going on! I'm sure the tape-style effects will get a lot of use. This one's begging to be put in the feedback path of a long delay.

butter
Common Wiggler

Post by butter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Backer 187, wondering if there's any update on how the queue is progressing - the last update estimated they'd all be done by 24 October.
Not too fussed if the schedule has slipped a bit, just wondering where we're up to as things been quiet for a few weeks now...?

TEKBRAIN
Common Wiggler

Post by TEKBRAIN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 am

butter wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:09 pm
Backer 187, wondering if there's any update on how the queue is progressing - the last update estimated they'd all be done by 24 October.
Not too fussed if the schedule has slipped a bit, just wondering where we're up to as things been quiet for a few weeks now...?
Quiet? They are never quiet. You should follow them on Facebook:

"18Oct Sunday PM update
a) tomorrow is last day for pre-ordering E520 Hyperions
b) E520s will start shipping again on Wednesday. I will be working extended hours to ship out all the modules left in the KickStarter this month. I might slip into the first week of Nov.
c) Still on schedule for E520 V1.1 firmware released on Nov. 17th
d) I received my powered breadboard for use in the $10 level Patreon tutorials. So will have 2 new videos ($10/$25 level) at the end of October."

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks for the update Tekbrain. I had about the same question as butter but didn't want to pile on plus I'm not that impatient that I can't wait a month or so longer (not implying that butter is impatient mind!).

Not all of us are on Facebook though. I personally avoid it like the plague. It would be helpful if Paul would copy those updates on kickstarter but well, I rather he makes great modules than be the perfect news updater. ;-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”