Polyend Poly 2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Polyend Poly 2

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:13 pm

The FH-2 is certainly impressive. It's incredibly deep and has a feature list as long as your arm (and lovely calibration support). It's well worth reading up on some of the things it can do. Not the most friendly device to configure but it rewards persistence.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Am I crazy or does navigating the menu mess up the timing of data coming out of Poly 2 (notes, gates, midi etc)? Basically everything goes out of sync and I have to start & stop my main midi sequencer to get everything back to normal (and not use the menu after that).
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Dusty Patches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dusty Patches » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:49 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 pm
Am I crazy or does navigating the menu mess up the timing of data coming out of Poly 2 (notes, gates, midi etc)? Basically everything goes out of sync and I have to start & stop my main midi sequencer to get everything back to normal (and not use the menu after that).
I believe it says in the manual that if the module is in any other state other than the "default" screen then it may skip notes and act wonky. I have noticed this with my unit. It would be nice if it didn't act wonky ever but I'm getting good results using it as a set it and forget it module.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Yeah, fortunately since it is a set & forget the issue isn't a del breaker. But... dang... what kind of processor is inside? An Atari 2600? Heh heh heh

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:26 pm

I would rather bet on a colecovision....

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:00 pm

Was playing more with the Poly 2 today after getting some very inconsistent timing issues.

On further investigation I've come to the conclusion that the Poly 2 is not worth it.

The main issue is timing within the unit. Running the signals from Poly 2 into a scope I can see that the gate and note information rarely stay in sync. Sometimes the note changes after the gate, other times the note changes before the gate. In a real world application, running this through a quantizer like Scales or an Akemies Castle (ie: something that snapshots CV) produces inconsistent results.

I got the Poly 2 to replace my Hermod mainly to free up some HP. But running the same test with Hermod produces consistent results; the note always changes slightly before the gate and it never falters. I tried with an ALM mmMidi and again the timing on that is rock solid (more so than Hermod) with the note always slightly before the gate with very little error.

Poly 2 is a dud. The timing during normal operation (and during menu navigation) is not good enough for a module that costs $350. I liked the additional outputs but for me, timing is THE most important aspect to any midi > CV convertor.

oo1o1o1o
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oo1o1o1o » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm

I had it for two days. Not being able to select a midi channel for the poly modes was a deal breaker for me. I didn't even have it long enough to get to the timing problems. I had hoped to use it with my keystep pro, but no dice. The configuration is super shallow.

broken diodes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by broken diodes » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:30 pm

I get good use out of mine, no timing issues, but it is flaky--occasional lockups, etc. And it is really weird that the whole honkin' thing can only be set for one mode.

Tech issues aside, the big miss for me is not being able to set the first four cv pairs for poly and the next four pair for individual voices. As oo1 above stated, the configuration is shallow which is odd for having so many outputs.

Ema41
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ema41 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:12 am

Jee wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:43 am
2/ Once in a while (still to often) the module has no stuck note but send out nothing. I can see the channels being triggered using the "Gate view" monitor from config menu but nothing comes out from the outputs (none of them). I need to power off / on (sometimes several times) the unit to get it to work. Bonus small issue: when leaving the Gate view mode, the module output a stuck gate again... it is solved by sending a new note on / off to the corresponding channel like I do in point 1 after doing the Panic! function but well...
In fact, I've experienced frozing Poly2 the 2/3 of the time at powering up (I've fired it up more than 1000 times already, so it's not a legend). :bang:

I still wait for a bug free OS (for more than a year), but Polyend has gone to hardware sequencer market (Tracker), so maybe they abandoned eurorack for more lucrative environment...

And I don't/ can't sell this faulty module as I don't want be seen as a crook. :cry:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 am

who is the real crook here, you or Polyend? :roll:
I'm utterly bored and dispointed, mine is going for sale and I don't feel like a crook. I will take my loss on this and the buyer, if unhappy, can still resale with much smaller loss / no loss than mine.
And the market will be flooded with these poor Poly2 module until they break (soon enough I guess considered the build quality). :roll:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 am

After months of struggling and mails to Polyend I finally have things moving a bit: my unit is apparently faulty.
I'll return it and hopefully all these bugs and issues will be gone soon.
However I still have a really blocking issue with the module (not a bug): no way to select a specific MIDI channel when in First or Next modes.... which is really annoying.
I will still sell it after repairs because of that unless polyend brings a firmware update soon -wich sounds ambitious...
Let's see.

bM3w
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bM3w » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm

God damn it, why did I find this thread only after I spent $350? Just got mine yesterday, was super excited to replace Yarns with the Poly 2, only to find out that you can't set the damn thing to individual MIDI channels in Play Mode Next. WTF? That makes using it with the KeyStep Pro impossible since the Poly 2 will play all incoming notes from all channels :bang:

Looking at the date of the first post in this thread it appears we probably won't ever see a firmware update to address this issue. I guess I should have ordered a FH-2 instead...

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:27 am

Yes this is a big problem for me too!!
I returned the unit to Musicstore they are checking it but my hope is that they will accept a refund / exchange vs another product (FH-2 probably)

If you purchased online you can normally return your unit and change for something else. Musicstore and Thomson are doing it, I guess others too.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:38 am

bM3w wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm
God damn it, why did I find this thread only after I spent $350? Just got mine yesterday, was super excited to replace Yarns with the Poly 2, only to find out that you can't set the damn thing to individual MIDI channels in Play Mode Next. WTF? That makes using it with the KeyStep Pro impossible since the Poly 2 will play all incoming notes from all channels :bang:

Looking at the date of the first post in this thread it appears we probably won't ever see a firmware update to address this issue. I guess I should have ordered a FH-2 instead...
Really? There are two modes I’d be interested in using.

1. Polyphonic (for Keystep): I select one midi channel for all the pitch and gate outputs to respond to. Priority given to the lowest note
2. Multi-monophonic (for Digitakt): I select four different midi channels for each pitch and gate output to respond to.

Can the Poly 2 do this?

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:08 am

I had a Poly 2 for a short while and my impression was that it was a rather buggy mess with a bad UI. Even more annoying was that there were clearly problems in how event handling / multithreading was implemented (if at all) such that touching the module at any point could lead to unstable clocks or missed notes and other similar issues. Felt like shoddy engineering to me. For me, that was enough to never consider a Polyend product again.

XiXora
Learning to Wiggle

Post by XiXora » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:43 am

Well, this is disappointing to hear.

adamfligsten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adamfligsten » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Hello, I just purchased a Poly 2 and can echo a lot of the sentiment I am seeing on this thread. I wish I read this before buying the unit.

1. It was completely non-functional out of the box. I had to update the firmware with difficult to find instructions on the website. Notably, there is a hidden reset button on the back, which is necessary to find and hit during the update process, but the txt instructions fail to mention this.
2. The gate is very unreliable and often stays on when powered on.
3. The pitch bend is where I drew the line. Right now, in monophonic mode, no matter what note I hit, the pitch bend returns to a Bb key center below middle C. This isn't how pitch bends work. Also as the user posted the youtube video above, the pitch bend is only active after you trigger a note.

As far as I'm concerned, it is a dysfunctionally designed unit. I'm sorry that a company I admired (Polyend) is selling this as a sort of flagship polyphonic MIDI to CV unit.

I'll need to try to track down an FH-2 I guess.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Now I'm just curious to see how the guarantee will come into play.
I did RMA procedure 1 month before expiry of warranty. I guess they will not be able to solve the core issues (design fails) and I asked for a refund / credit at Music Store that hopefully will be accepted.
I'm pretty sure I might not be the only one considered the number of problems reported on this unit.
Wors thing is that they must be aware of these problems and keep selling it as it is... :doh:
That definitely turned me away from any of their products.
Let's see.

adamfligsten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by adamfligsten » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:59 pm

They got back to me on email regarding the pitch bend and said simply, "It was designed to do that, you should return it if you aren't happy with the product."

I hope they aren't saying that it was designed to center always a Bb below middle C regardless of what note you are playing. (They probably were referring to the issue in the youtube video)

But either way, they clearly don't care. Maybe they've moved on with newer products and it is just a poorly designed unit.

bM3w
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bM3w » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:09 pm

I reached out to Polyend and they were nice enough to immediately reply, but it's all bad news. They said that the Poly 2 behaves as designed and listens to MIDI in omni channel mode for the two polyphonic modes. Worse, they said the Poly 2 has reached EOL and will not be further developed. NO firmware updates planned either.

Well, lesson learned. MI YARNS is back in my case and I sent an email to the store from which I purchased the Poly 2 and asked for a refund.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:20 am

EOL after what.. 2 years? Clearly they realised that they messed up and prefer to cut it there, but still selling their bad units already produced meanwhile...
Nice spirit. :foul:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”