NEW KICK / BASS Drum from WMD, CRATER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Zymos wrote:I wish people even caring about what color the panels are would end, but I accept that I'm not going to get my wish.
Right there with you. I mostly want to see what’s happening as clearly as possible in low light. Ideally, I’d love every other module in my rack to be a color or have a different look to make things easier to chase down. Then again, I’m easily confused :)

Pretty knocked out by the sound and apparent versatility of this module so far.

I have a BLD, but love using it for bass. Also have a Modbase 09, but it takes up a ton of room in a performance based case.

DJMaytag
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 am

The black look REALLY nice in person, with the engraved silver lettering showing,

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:41 am

So, anyone know when Crater will be available to buy?

bastian23
Common Wiggler

Post by bastian23 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:28 am

silver panel's please! :hail:

tb323
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tb323 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 am

Sounds great. I miss the manual trigger button though, like the one on Chimera, Fracture and Crucible.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 am

i think the black panels are dope and wish i could retrofit all of my current wmd modules with black panels.

spent some hands on times with the crater at knobcon. really digging it. a definite buy from me, really enjoyed how it responded to the gate lengths. the body and tick features are spot on, and i feel the saturation switch felt best at level "2".

i hope wmd drops a snare module similar to this in the near future.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:24 pm

VanEck wrote:i feel the saturation switch felt best at level "2".
One of the more subtle things the panel doesn't really get across is the fact that the "CLIPPING" switch and the "SATURATION" CV are actually independent circuits in series. There's even more detail and control you will be able to pull out of the combinations of these two parameters than is immediately obvious.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 pm

DJMaytag wrote:The black look REALLY nice in person, with the engraved silver lettering showing,
I have a Crucible and can say that black anodized panels are not bad. If they choose plastic (vintage like) knobs instead of rubber one, it will be even better.

it's interesting can I swap it by myself ;)
my psychdelic ambient - http://ovod.bandcamp.com -new LP on vinyl here

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 pm

tried this out at Knobcon and it was absolutely sick - big props to the WMD crew on this one

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

seems like a great module but, no silver - no sale :omg: :waah:

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:55 pm

I would love to see this come in a cool Chameleon paint job like a lowrider. Or a bad ass enamel pin style panel like Bizmuth Modular. I've also thought about panels sandwiched with diffused acrylic and LED's so all of the art is light up. Damascus panel could also be sweet. Made out of black and silver panels mashed together. Another style I'm a fan of is the glitter paint jobs on guitar pedals.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 pm

c0rpse wrote:I would love to see this come in a cool Chameleon paint job like a lowrider. Or a bad ass enamel pin style panel like Bizmuth Modular. I've also thought about panels sandwiched with diffused acrylic and LED's so all of the art is light up. Damascus panel could also be sweet. Made out of black and silver panels mashed together. Another style I'm a fan of is the glitter paint jobs on guitar pedals.

Never mind then.
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?t=222871&highlight=
WTB: Kurzweil Rumour (or trade for Mangler)

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 pm

MindMachine wrote:
c0rpse wrote:I would love to see this come in a cool Chameleon paint job like a lowrider. Or a bad ass enamel pin style panel like Bizmuth Modular. I've also thought about panels sandwiched with diffused acrylic and LED's so all of the art is light up. Damascus panel could also be sweet. Made out of black and silver panels mashed together. Another style I'm a fan of is the glitter paint jobs on guitar pedals.

Never mind then.
Is it strictly the color you guys are after, or the whole style?

The newer silver panels we produce in house for the mixer and the first run of Metron's look nothing like our older silver panels made by a 3rd party. If we ever made silver Crucible panels, they still would have a different finish from Fracture and Chimera.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Go for it! I think each panel should also be unique and remain a surprise until the purchaser opens the box.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Zymos wrote:Go for it! I think each panel should also be unique and remain a surprise until the purchaser opens the box.
If I had any creative control in that realm of the designs I would totally do this!

I've always love the concept of small runs of crazy unique panels. I think ZVEX has done something similar to this.

Fog Door
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fog Door » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I would love to see this come in a cool Chameleon paint job like a lowrider. Or a bad ass enamel pin style panel like Bizmuth Modular. I've also thought about panels sandwiched with diffused acrylic and LED's so all of the art is light up. Damascus panel could also be sweet. Made out of black and silver panels mashed together. Another style I'm a fan of is the glitter paint jobs on guitar pedals.
You have historically produced modules with silver panels, it cannot come as any surprise to you that some of your existing customers prefer silver panels or only purchase modules with silver panels. Expressing a desire for a silver panel version is hardly comparable to the outlandish panels you say you would like to see in your rather sarcastic post. You will lose some sales and you will gain some sales as a result of the cosmetic switch to black panels, but I'm sure the pros must outweigh the cons for WMD for this decision to have been made. However, and I'm sorry that there is no other way to say this, there is no need to be such a **** about it.

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Giving panel color discussion a break for a minute, when is the module expected to be available?

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Sanys wrote:BLD-2 killer at half the price? :yay:
Doesn't sound like a BLD-2 killer to me. Not that it needs to be.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Fog Door wrote:You have historically produced modules with silver panels, it cannot come as any surprise to you that some of your existing customers prefer silver panels or only purchase modules with silver panels. Expressing a desire for a silver panel version is hardly comparable to the outlandish panels you say you would like to see in your rather sarcastic post. You will lose some sales and you will gain some sales as a result of the cosmetic switch to black panels, but I'm sure the pros must outweigh the cons for WMD for this decision to have been made. However, and I'm sorry that there is no other way to say this, there is no need to be such a **** about it.
You're right, sarcasm was likely not the most tactful way for me to comment on the massive amount of silver/black discussion in this thread about a kick.

I am still curious about how the silver only people feel about the subtleties of the finishes between modules of the same "color." Do you not care as long as it's silver? Whether it's matte or gloss? Screen print or anodize?
Bigwerm wrote:Giving panel color discussion a break for a minute, when is the module expected to be available?
The plan is December at the moment.

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Since all manufacturers silver panels are different anyway, the differences between your old and new silver panels shouldn’t make too much difference I suspect. However ideally, if you were to decide on a manufacturing process for the silver panels and then offer replacement panels for sale in both black and silver for most or all of your modules, people can the change their mind on color, or replace damaged panels or just make all of their WMD modules look uniform if it’s important to them. Noise Engineering offer this for example. Just a thought.

tomdarude
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tomdarude » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:33 am

well I guess it´s all WMD for me then for drums & percussion!!
that thing sounds ace and covers a huge range :hail:

Along with my Sample Drum for the weirder or sampled stuff,
Crater, Fracture & Crucible sound like a sweet combo.
German based in Deventer / NL

jjh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jjh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:23 am

Very convincing for a kick drum, seemingly lot of fun included. I also appreciate it's squeezed into 8hp.

fjoesz
Common Wiggler

Post by fjoesz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 am

yes, but WHEN IS THIS COMING

IEC
Common Wiggler

Post by IEC » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:43 am

LOOK UP

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:15 am

Hey WMD, why no little trigger button like it's siblings? I find that a really handy feature.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”