NEW KICK / BASS Drum from WMD, CRATER

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: NEW KICK / BASS Drum from WMD, CRATER

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 am

@ggillon
`Yeah same, I really like the immediacy of the Drum Seq. I always forget about the CV/gate track since I almost never use it, but just for gates it's pretty easy to program, it's the cv part that I find so so. Accents would need to come from another track though. Food for though, thanks !
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 am
@ggillon
`Yeah same, I really like the immediacy of the Drum Seq. I always forget about the CV/gate track since I almost never use it, but just for gates it's pretty easy to program, it's the cv part that I find so so. Accents would need to come from another track though. Food for though, thanks !
I got better results with accents from another trigger track than from the accent outputs so I'll probably stick to triggers for accents anyway.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Filthy jam with the crater incoming :twisted:

Yeah, yeah I know I use it only for such a basic 4 to the floor kick and it can do so much more. But it's a kick module and it's a hell of a good one so no reason not to use it for it. This thing sounds huge and has a lot of sweet spots. The digital click is such a good idea, sometimes you forget it's the kick and think there's a hi=hat going on :hail:

transferpoint
butt-hole

Post by transferpoint » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:39 pm

Nice jam! :hail: Crater sounds glorious. Can't wait to pick one up.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Has somebody here had experience with Crater and Mutant BD9? Could you make a comparison between them?

phantommovement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phantommovement » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 am

guigui wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm
Has somebody here had experience with Crater and Mutant BD9? Could you make a comparison between them?
Wanna see a comparison too. I have the BD9 myself and what I love about it is that, like the 909 kick, it can remain deep and punchy after heavy distortion. It pairs extremely well with the Hot Glue, for example.

Judging by the video demos, Crater sounds pretty nice and big on its own, but how does it sound after heavy distortion? I haven’t tried the module myself but the built-in saturation circuit doesn’t seem to do what I look for (I’d be happy if sb shows me it can retain a lot of punch). And does the kick work well with a rumble bass underneath it (a norm in modern techno)?

If the Crater can do those things, then with its smaller footprint and 1v/oct, i’ll be really tempted to pick one up for my system :)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

phantommovement wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 am
guigui wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm
Wanna see a comparison too. I have the BD9 myself and what I love about it is that, like the 909 kick, it can remain deep and punchy after heavy distortion. It pairs extremely well with the Hot Glue, for example.

Judging by the video demos, Crater sounds pretty nice and big on its own, but how does it sound after heavy distortion? I haven’t tried the module myself but the built-in saturation circuit doesn’t seem to do what I look for (I’d be happy if sb shows me it can retain a lot of punch). And does the kick work well with a rumble bass underneath it (a norm in modern techno)?

If the Crater can do those things, then with its smaller footprint and 1v/oct, i’ll be really tempted to pick one up for my system :)

Sounds pretty good with the Geiger Counter, even if I don't like distorted kicks really.
The rumble thing has me interested too but it's maybe more a production thing than just a kick sound ?
instagram
soundcloud

phantommovement
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phantommovement » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

The rumble thing has me interested too but it's maybe more a production thing than just a kick sound ?
Yes indeed, but some kicks just sit well with the rumbling sub (whether you create it from the kick itself or in other ways) whilst some don’t.

I hope I’m not being too off topic by posting this but the distorted kick in this track is an example of what i’m looking for:

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’d be great to know if Crater can make a kick like this along with other modules :)

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm

phantommovement wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 am

Yes indeed, but some kicks just sit well with the rumbling sub (whether you create it from the kick itself or in other ways) whilst some don’t.

I hope I’m not being too off topic by posting this but the distorted kick in this track is an example of what i’m looking for:

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it’d be great to know if Crater can make a kick like this along with other modules :)
I wonder if that wouldn't depend more on the right distortion than the right kick. The crater itself already had a lot of grit with the clipping parameter and saturation input.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Got one of these yesterday after trying it in the shop for a little while. For an hour or so after playing it back home I was getting quite frustrated, thinking this thing had no punch or bottom end at all... until I realised I had rewired my case with the master going into the 100Hz filter of the Shakmat Hipass instead of the 30hz... :doh: (then again I also managed to fry a module yesterday...)

Now that I got around that dumb mistake I'm quite pleased with it ! It's quite punchy, maybe not as deep as the DFAM and it's wonderful filter but I can still EQ a little bit of the top end without killing the click with the ALM PE-1. Cuts very well through the mix, lots of nice punchy low end. Don't care for the clipping switch as I don't really like saturated kicks, but the saturation might lead to more interesting stuff. I haven't managed to use the sustain feature really with my Erica Drum Seq, the results I got with the Gate track weren't great; maybe because I had the decay quite high already. Need to dig deeper into the 1v/Oct, but I love pitched basslines/kicks hybrid with the DFAM so hope I can recreate some of it's magic here. It can be quite rumbly with a reverb, sits well here.

I still have the BD808 and DFAM, was hoping to replace everything for kick duties with it but not certain it will work. I love the BD808 but sometimes you want more punch.
instagram
soundcloud

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:26 am

Still really liking this module after a month, getting really good results in a variety of situations, it sits well in a mix and the clicks are really useful. It's my only kick source right now and I don't feel I'm missing options. The Dfam went out of the case and is free for other stuff; It's cool to switch things up a bit.

Here's a snippet :

instagram
soundcloud

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:09 am

cool stuff. MEATY.

yep. i love mines. would be okayyyyy with WMD tackling a snare then hi hat module. FULL DRUMS SECTION PLEASE.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am

Mine arrived yesterday. In my first session with it last night, I wandered my way into some snare/snappy percussion sounds. I put another oscillator into the V/oct to get FM, turned the main decay way down to keep the FM part short, and turned the click decay all the way up. Playing with the different types of click sounds led to different types of snare/percussion sounds. The longest click decay is still pretty short though, so that is a bit of a limitation on this use. Some reverb would probably help. But it sounded good.

Of course I played with it for kick sounds too, and it was good. So naturally the thought going through my gassy head is that I should buy a second one..
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

I never used the distortion on mine but suddenly felt like I should :

Also threw it a bit more cv that usual with accents and eg into decay/sat. Makes for some gnarly low end.
instagram
soundcloud

Return to “Eurorack Modules”