Dreadbox Antiphon DIY kit

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rustedimac
Common Wiggler

Post by rustedimac » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:05 am

electricanada wrote:I really want to love this, but it's basically the Eurorack version of a cheap organ with a spring reverb. Nothing wrong with that, but it would need a VCA per oscillator to get me to pull the trigger.
If downvote was a thing here, I would have downvoted the shit out of this :hihi:
kwontifiedsound.com

canut
Learning to Wiggle

Noisy Reverb

Post by canut » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:42 am

Hi,

So I built my kit which is working fine. It was quite long and the tuning takes a lot of time. BTW, my kit has 1nf cap instead of 470pf. I asked Dreadbox and they told me it's fine.

The only thing I'm not happy with it's the reverb noise. I tried many location for the tank inside our outside my case, but it's really noisy. Is there any magical trick to reduce that noise ? like shielding the reverb unit ? or on the opposite connect the tank to ground ?

Thanks

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 am

rustedimac wrote:
electricanada wrote:I really want to love this, but it's basically the Eurorack version of a cheap organ with a spring reverb. Nothing wrong with that, but it would need a VCA per oscillator to get me to pull the trigger.
If downvote was a thing here, I would have downvoted the shit out of this :hihi:
Dreadbox likes to design gear somewhere between synth and toy. This is definetly more on the toy side.

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Re: Noisy Reverb

Post by jakobprogsch » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:52 am

canut wrote: Is there any magical trick to reduce that noise ? like shielding the reverb unit ? or on the opposite connect the tank to ground?
Not sure about magical but grounding the case of the tank helps. Interestingly this is the same kind of tank also found in the Moog Grandmother with the one difference that the case isn't connected to any of the in or outputs. Manually connecting it to the 0V/GND of the modular helped with the noise for me. It's still sensitive to nearby speakers/power supplies/cell phones though. Just less so.

cane creek
Ultra Wiggler

Post by cane creek » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 am

Estes wrote:
rustedimac wrote:
Dreadbox likes to design gear somewhere between synth and toy. This is definetly more on the toy side.
I love my toys...... :hail:

tomatoKetchup
Common Wiggler

Post by tomatoKetchup » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi guys.

I'm currently building mine. I was wondering if you could easily mod it to add a feedback path on the reverb to make it resonate longer. Like wiring the output back to the input with a attenuating pot in between? If so, what value would you recommend for the pot's resistance?

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Bbman wrote:How does this compare to the Verbos Harmonic OSC? Would be interesting to have CV controls over the volume of each OSC.
form what I could tell in the vides it was just 8 repetitions of the same thing
while the verbos brought up specific harmonics from the original

I initially thought the same, a sorta amazingly low priced alternative. but unfortunately its not but still a fun module.

wondering if anyone with lager knowledge base would know how to mod it to be more like the HO?
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

tomatoKetchup
Common Wiggler

Post by tomatoKetchup » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:18 am

Severed head wrote:
Bbman wrote:How does this compare to the Verbos Harmonic OSC? Would be interesting to have CV controls over the volume of each OSC.
wondering if anyone with lager knowledge base would know how to mod it to be more like the HO?
Antiphon and HO are 2 totally different modules. The HO, like you said, is a complex oscillator that gives access to the 1st 8 partials of the oscillator, while the Antiphon is 8 separate oscillators altogether.

The big difference here is phase: if you want to recreate the sonic characteristics of the HO you would have to have a way to sync the phase of your 8 sinewaves so they are heard as partials of the lowest pitch (the fundamental).

This has to do with psycho-acoustics: our brain naturally identifies things in phase as belonging to the same "event" (there are other things in play but that's not relevant here). That's why mixing the square and sawtooth WF of the same oscillator gives a different perceptual result that mixing the square of one osc with the sawtooth of another.

s.Lowlife420
Learning to Wiggle

Post by s.Lowlife420 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:24 pm

This is my first post on here as well as first euro build! Anyway all went well except one missed solder, 1 diode orientation mishap, and I’m not getting any audio rate from lfo 7? It seems to be working as an lfo kinda but I’ve got nothing when pushed into what should be audio rate, from mains or individual outs. Anyone have any suggestions as where to check for mistakes? I’ve gone over for missing components and seem to all be in place, only thing I see is a resistor near the slider for 7 has a visible chip taken out of it? Thanks and bah wit da bah da bah da bah

s.Lowlife420
Learning to Wiggle

Post by s.Lowlife420 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Also what was so hard and took so much time for people to tune it?? It legitimately too me 2 & a half minutes including watching the 20 seconds of video that explains how? That was with my keystep and an external guitar tuner, also the tv was on and that was annoying. Couldn’t find remote..

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Dreadbox Antiphon DIY kit

Post by cat_abyss » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:59 am

Long shot, but i started building my kit yesterday and accidentally (don't ask) destroyed one of the 33K resistors, and substituted it with one i got from a mate. He gave me a heads up that this was a cheapest-of-the-cheap kinda resistor. I put it in the rightmost 33K spot under the sliders on the larger PCB. Any clues what effects this could have? I'm guessing noise but no clue as to where. I will take my sweet time with this build so i can't diagnose anything yet.

Also, heads up, thonk currently has just 1 kit left in stock.

peripatitis

Re:

Post by peripatitis » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:54 am

tomatoKetchup wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:18 am
Severed head wrote:
Antiphon and HO are 2 totally different modules. The HO, like you said, is a complex oscillator that gives access to the 1st 8 partials of the oscillator, while the Antiphon is 8 separate oscillators altogether.

The big difference here is phase: if you want to recreate the sonic characteristics of the HO you would have to have a way to sync the phase of your 8 sinewaves so they are heard as partials of the lowest pitch (the fundamental).

This has to do with psycho-acoustics: our brain naturally identifies things in phase as belonging to the same "event" (there are other things in play but that's not relevant here). That's why mixing the square and sawtooth WF of the same oscillator gives a different perceptual result that mixing the square of one osc with the sawtooth of another.
I would be surprised if you listen on 8 sinewaves as discreet because of the phase differences. I could understand other differences with the HO, like correctly tuning the harmonics but for sure you could make an organ sound for example with the antiphon..

khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khakifridge » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 am

cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:59 am
Any clues what effects this could have? I'm guessing noise but no clue as to where.
None, to inaudibly negligible.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by electricanada » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:48 pm

rustedimac wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:05 am
If you had, my heart would have gone on.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:31 am

khakifridge wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:29 am
cat_abyss wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:59 am
Any clues what effects this could have? I'm guessing noise but no clue as to where.
None, to inaudibly negligible.
Great news, many thanks.

Johnny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Johnny » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:30 pm

I just build antiphon DIY kit.
Everything went ok and working ok except:

Oscillator 3 is producing static high pitch. When im cranking pitch slider it doesnt affect to osc 3.
Weird thing is that when im cranking osc 3 pitch slider, it affects to oscillator 1, 2 and 4 pitch like changing it one semitone.

I have traced the problem without any luck. Everything seems to be ok.. :bang:

cat_abyss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cat_abyss » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am

So in the instructions it says "locate 2 pc 1N4004 diode", but on the board it's written "1N4007". In the kit i get one of both. I take it they are interchangeable?

Edit: ah, i just read too quickly. Nvm. "400X" it says.

Edit2: ok but really, if something is off the manual says to check the chapter "what could have gone wrong"...? Where's this chapter?

Everything works now except OSC1 and 2 both being affected by both sliders with some fm-y thing going on between them (and VCA slider being crackly). Any clues what this could be? I really need to go to sleep now so i only had a quick look, but i don't see antything off on the back pcb (i guess i should check near scale1/scale2). Could be heat damage maybe, i was a bit close on the timings and i don't trust the calibration of my soldering iron.

Johnny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Johnny » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am

Johnny wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:30 pm
I have traced the problem without any luck. Everything seems to be ok.. :bang:
One cold joint on board connectors. It's working now.

But I mean, what is the deal with those soldering iron temperatures?
I have always done my job with ~350C without frying components.

When you're playing with too cold soldering iron you need to heat up the pads more longer and that is definitely going to destroy your components.
Especially here, antiphon PCB has a huge grounding area where you need to heat it up properly to get it done.

And no sockets for TL074, wtf?

Just get the sockets and use proper temperatures on this one.

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:06 pm

cat_abyss wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 am
Everything works now except OSC1 and 2 both being affected by both sliders with some fm-y thing going on between them (and VCA slider being crackly). Any clues what this could be?
I had a very similar problem - turned out I hadn’t been as careful as I thought with some of the jacks. It’s trivially easy to orient the jacks the wrong way.
It began as a mistake.

Attackman
Common Wiggler

Post by Attackman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Damn. After a slow build the thing is entirely DEAD. I can't get any sound out of the module at all. When I did the test before final assembly I got correct readings on both the plus and minus 12v test points. I assumed all was good.

I really can't think what is so wrong as to produce no sound. I've never had a diy build go this wrong.

I don't really know what to start looking for or where.

I think this was my last diy. So frustrating.

Attackman
Common Wiggler

Post by Attackman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Attackman wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm
Damn. After a slow build the thing is entirely DEAD. I can't get any sound out of the module at all. When I did the test before final assembly I got correct readings on both the plus and minus 12v test points. I assumed all was good.

I really can't think what is so wrong as to produce no sound. I've never had a diy build go this wrong.

I don't really know what to start looking for or where.

I think this was my last diy. So frustrating.
Im wondering if there's a fault with the power not reaching the module? But then how would I get a reading on the plus/minus test points? Still no power is the only explanation I have for absolutely no sound at any output. Thoughts anyone?

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Attackman wrote:
Damn. After a slow build the thing is entirely DEAD. I can't get any sound out of the module at all.
Easiest thing to check is that the filters are all the way open. Low pass fader should be all the way up, hi-pass should be all the way down I believe.

After that I’d check all the ICs to make sure they’re oriented the right way round, and while you’re doing that, check the jacks to make sure they are oriented properly. I know these are obvious things but it can be easy to miss the obvious once frustration sets in.
It began as a mistake.

Attackman
Common Wiggler

Post by Attackman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 pm

SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm
Attackman wrote:
Damn. After a slow build the thing is entirely DEAD. I can't get any sound out of the module at all.
Easiest thing to check is that the filters are all the way open. Low pass fader should be all the way up, hi-pass should be all the way down I believe.

After that I’d check all the ICs to make sure they’re oriented the right way round, and while you’re doing that, check the jacks to make sure they are oriented properly. I know these are obvious things but it can be easy to miss the obvious once frustration sets in.
Thanks appreciate you commenting. I definitely had the filters positioned correctly. I can rule that out. I'll take your advice and check these other things tho I thought I was being meticulous at the time ensuring I got these things right ... I'll take your suggestions as a launch point to start eliminating possible faults.

ikkini
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Noisy Reverb

Post by ikkini » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:56 am

canut wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:42 am
The only thing I'm not happy with it's the reverb noise. I tried many location for the tank inside our outside my case, but it's really noisy. Is there any magical trick to reduce that noise ? like shielding the reverb unit ? or on the opposite connect the tank to ground ?
Same issue here... I cannot use the reverb at all... I'll try to connect the tank to the 0V as stated to see if it makes it useable...

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Just completed my antiphone build. My one mistake was interpreting the socket orientation right and wrong pictures. As a result all 13 sockets along lower edge I soldered the wrong way around. It took two of us with hot air gun and pliers to remove them. All the sockets went straight back in. I breathed hugh sigh of relief.
All working otherwise. I would have like a trimmer to minimize vca bleed through. I used turned pin ic sockets for all ic. I may have a crackle or two to track down. The ground plane really tested my lack of soldering technique. Turning down temp on iron was soon abandoned.
rgds Pav

Return to “Eurorack Modules”