Endorphines 6HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Re: Endorphines 6HP

Post by psienide » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm

ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION: Crank those trimpots almost all the way up until you get the really dope overdrive effect, then attenuate the output aLOT.
This is actually what I ended up going with, and it sounds really good if that's your sort of thing.
This is what I did to tame the noise floor, but then it becomes more like an active filter. It was cool for a while but imparted too much color on signals I didn't want it to.

Now my SQWK DIRTY has a different problem - it is shaping everything with an exponential decay. Now a simple square wave looks like an exp decay saw.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm

tvparcable wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 am
fruitsnake wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 pm
I suspect something to do with power supply compatibility only because the tones that I hear in the above examples sound like the background tones that you get when you run 90's Digitech pedals with a PSU that they don't like - even when the specs are identical to the original - they're just extra special like that. I never really understood what's going on there, but maybe it's similar to the MW problem.
I think you might be onto something. The first time I tried mine was on my uZeus power. I couldn't hear any noise unless I cranked the volume extremely high with no signal going through the MW (or with the volume at 0 on the MW). After I moved it to my 2x104 case with a different PSU, the noise started to be the same as what you hear on people's reports. None of the other modules became noisy on the new case.
Bingo! I was wondering if someone would be able to perform such a test. Anyone else out there wanna report on what power module they're using with their Milky Way and whether or not the noise is present?

indigogogo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indigogogo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 pm

Yeah at this point I think the filter should be tagged as a distortion on modular grid. As it turns out I was actually looking for A 6hp stereo Distortion and couldn't find one So this is weirdly perfect for me, But if you're looking for a clean stereo filter, you might want to check out the happy nerding stereo MMF.

indigogogo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by indigogogo » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:28 pm

OK wow check this out. Squawk causes audio bleed without the output? This is driving me crazy. Just connecting an oscillator in leads to bleed through noise.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:09 pm

This is a square wave directly into the output mixer
Raw Sq output

This is that same wave through SQWK Dirty in the first mode, cutoff fully open, no res, no highpass, and gain fully CCW.
Same thru SQWK

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:39 am

I had the MW noise problem using an Eowave Source d'Energie and a Volgen brick (the one recommended by Make Noise to avoid problem with Rene / Pressure Points) never have a problem with any modules (analog or digital ...)

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 am

I'm so sorry to coming this late. I would have let you all know the FX is noisy. I have the same issue on my Blacknoir. The individual outs on the Blacknoir are perfect, however if you use the effects the noise is not good unless you adjust the gain stage. Make sure to increase the volumn going into the input as high as possible without clipping then reduce the output in your mixer. I bought a attenuator just for this. This has made it usuable for me. Have they put out a noise firmware for the Blacknoir? In terms of the noise levels by reviewers I always was under the belief they use noise filters in their DAW.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 am

Inju wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 am
I'm so sorry to coming this late. I would have let you all know the FX is noisy. I have the same issue on my Blacknoir. The individual outs on the Blacknoir are perfect, however if you use the effects the noise is not good unless you adjust the gain stage. Make sure to increase the volumn going into the input as high as possible without clipping then reduce the output in your mixer. I bought a attenuator just for this. This has made it usuable for me. Have they put out a noise firmware for the Blacknoir? In terms of the noise levels by reviewers I always was under the belief they use noise filters in their DAW.

I don't think as many people have complained about the blck noir, though the problem is very pronounced on the mix out of that module. If there was an update to fix the blck noir noise problem I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:14 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm
tvparcable wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 am
fruitsnake wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 pm
I suspect something to do with power supply compatibility only because the tones that I hear in the above examples sound like the background tones that you get when you run 90's Digitech pedals with a PSU that they don't like - even when the specs are identical to the original - they're just extra special like that. I never really understood what's going on there, but maybe it's similar to the MW problem.
I think you might be onto something. The first time I tried mine was on my uZeus power. I couldn't hear any noise unless I cranked the volume extremely high with no signal going through the MW (or with the volume at 0 on the MW). After I moved it to my 2x104 case with a different PSU, the noise started to be the same as what you hear on people's reports. None of the other modules became noisy on the new case.
Bingo! I was wondering if someone would be able to perform such a test. Anyone else out there wanna report on what power module they're using with their Milky Way and whether or not the noise is present?
I don't get much noise on mine. Zeus Studio Bus power.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 am

I just installed the 'NOISE FIX' firmware upgrade for my Milky Way and now Channel 2 is not working, completely mute. I've tried different power supplies (Intellijel, TipTop, Doepfer), different cables, signals etc. but no joy. Was working fine before... although noisy.

Anyone else come across this issue?

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am

chriscarter wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 am
I just installed the 'NOISE FIX' firmware upgrade for my Milky Way and now Channel 2 is not working, completely mute. I've tried different power supplies (Intellijel, TipTop, Doepfer), different cables, signals etc. but no joy. Was working fine before... although noisy.

May you try to reset preferences ? (long press both right and left buttons for more than 5 seconds, then release).

Then, try to set the stereo mix :

long press the left button, to switch to stereo mix (purple led), then turn fully the cabin pressure and cabin fever twice), and set them in the center.

You should see left and right panned ;)

great when controlled by cv by the way ;)

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:05 pm

klick wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am
chriscarter wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:36 am

May you try to reset preferences ? (long press both right and left buttons for more than 5 seconds, then release).
Then, try to set the stereo mix :
long press the left button, to switch to stereo mix (purple led), then turn fully the cabin pressure and cabin fever twice), and set them in the center.
You should see left and right panned ;)
great when controlled by cv by the way ;)
Thanks so much for the tips - I wasn't aware of those.
That fixed the issue and all is working as expected now.

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am

I’m keeping an eye on this thread as I really wanted the Milky Way. Looked to be a lot of bang in such a small HP.

I don’t mean to take it away from the sqwark and MW issues but has anyone tried the airstreamer? Any good?
:eek:

klick
Common Wiggler

Post by klick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 pm

disclaimer :
biased opinion about airstreamer, don't trust me, at least this is an extract of some of the design goals :

- great envelope, easy to use, well designed (looping mode, attack/release, attack/sustain release), very good shaping and easy to control.

The story could stop here, it was the initial intent, anyone can use it without thinking about how to use it.
under it's apparently simplicity and ease of use, it's a bag of trick :

digging into it, allow it to be used in a "serge" way, patch programming style, some examples below :

- great audio tracking to be used as an oscillator, with the 1/v oct input, shape pots then become a waveshaper, from triangle to saw
- vca, this is really a great added value ! (bipolar vca,ring modulation like, react very well at audio rate too)
- slew ! portamento like. quite interesting at audio rate for glitchy sounds, designed to be followed by a nice reverb like milky way :)
- normalization between attack/decay speed (can be broken with a dummy cable), to allow simple cv control over duration
- very good when self patched (unipolar output into ring mod, etc) for not that predictible results, you can really patch any input into any output, a lot of sweetspots can be found.
- sample and hold
- track and hold if I can remember well

due to all functionality they could cover, having a pair in a small case, prove to be a great added value, one being set with end of attack trigger, the other one with end of decay.

I hope it's a good introduction to what the module can do ;)

again, don't trust me, try it, my opinion is biased.

rank30
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rank30 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 am

klick wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 pm
disclaimer :
biased opinion about airstreamer, don't trust me, at least this is an extract of some of the design goals :

- great envelope, easy to use, well designed (looping mode, attack/release, attack/sustain release), very good shaping and easy to control.

The story could stop here, it was the initial intent, anyone can use it without thinking about how to use it.
under it's apparently simplicity and ease of use, it's a bag of trick :

digging into it, allow it to be used in a "serge" way, patch programming style, some examples below :

- great audio tracking to be used as an oscillator, with the 1/v oct input, shape pots then become a waveshaper, from triangle to saw
- vca, this is really a great added value ! (bipolar vca,ring modulation like, react very well at audio rate too)
- slew ! portamento like. quite interesting at audio rate for glitchy sounds, designed to be followed by a nice reverb like milky way :)
- normalization between attack/decay speed (can be broken with a dummy cable), to allow simple cv control over duration
- very good when self patched (unipolar output into ring mod, etc) for not that predictible results, you can really patch any input into any output, a lot of sweetspots can be found.
- sample and hold
- track and hold if I can remember well

due to all functionality they could cover, having a pair in a small case, prove to be a great added value, one being set with end of attack trigger, the other one with end of decay.

I hope it's a good introduction to what the module can do ;)

again, don't trust me, try it, my opinion is biased.
Top stuff, thanks Klick!
:eek:

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:27 pm

Has anyone tried using a power cable with a conditioner on it, like the Trogotronic? https://trogotronic.com/product/m05/

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:37 am

Interesting, I had never heard of these. How does it work exactly?

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:07 pm

dangayle wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Has anyone tried using a power cable with a conditioner on it, like the Trogotronic? https://trogotronic.com/product/m05/
Yes, ordered one to try as a last ditch effort to quiet this module down but unfortunately no luck. Still hissing away...

kingsmore
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kingsmore » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Running Godspeed Sqwak and Milky Way on Trogotronic boards. No issues.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm

made this printable version of MW manual, figured others might want it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miguel606
Common Wiggler

Post by Miguel606 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:02 pm

thanks so much! that is definitely handy!!!

bommelito
Common Wiggler

Post by bommelito » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:37 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm
made this printable version of MW manual, figured others might want it...
Ah, perfect!

I wish there was something like that for the Squawk Dirty module, too! How did you do it?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:57 pm

indigogogo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:02 pm
Yeah at this point I think the filter should be tagged as a distortion on modular grid. As it turns out I was actually looking for A 6hp stereo Distortion and couldn't find one So this is weirdly perfect for me, But if you're looking for a clean stereo filter, you might want to check out the happy nerding stereo MMF.
Haha. Well, I had one, but I sent it back, as it was not a didstortion I was after. And yes, I turned the rear trimpots all the way down, but it would still distort if I threw as much as a choirboys fart at it. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I would definitely advise against Squawk Dirty untill this issue has been sorted.

blackdown
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by blackdown » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:32 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Each to their own. I personally think the Milky Way is noisy. Tried it in two different cases. I even tried a 2nd unit. It’s a bit too pronounced for me.

In the end - after not getting any response back from Endorphin.es - I voted with my wallet and returned the module for a full refund (thank you Control Voltage).
Going through this right now... its unusably noisy in my eyes (and ears)! on my second unit, 3 cases tried... going back for a refund also!

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:47 pm

The Squawk filter has digital noise that I can't get rid of. Regardless of where I put in series, first/last/middle/anywhere, if its there, the noise is there. If its not, the noise is gone. I've also tried two different cases and two different PSU's. I cannot un-hear it in any track I use it on.

I can't return it because I bought it used. I cannot in good conscience sell it to someone else. If this is what every Endorphin.es module is like - i'm out.

It sucks because it is a pretty good filter!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”