Endorphines 6HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jox2000
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Endorphines 6HP

Post by jox2000 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:08 pm

interesting, I have zero noise issues with the squawk filter - wether digital noise nor distortion. I tried it in two cases (one with a 4ms row power and one with a constant lab strong pwr). I didn't mess with the trimmers... - in comparison with the unfiltered raw sound direct into the following vca - I think it adds a hair of gain, but no distortion. I didn't measure anything and maybe don't have the best ears.

shaun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shaun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:20 pm

My Milky Way is affected by this as well even after the firmware update.

It's clearly audible when it's the only thing plugged in and...it's pretty bad. It reminds me of the noises I hear inside an airplane, so it's ironic they use terms like cabin pressure ;)

However, when I am jamming, it gets masked really well and I don't notice it. :despair:

I'm within the return period still but I am actually leaning towards keeping it because like someone posted earlier it's more like a distortion unit to me and i'm pleasantly surprised by it.

I have the Squawk Dirty as well and it's noisy too but acceptable to me. Nowhere near as bad as the Milky Way. I probably would not have noticed it but I was looking for it because of the Milky Way. This is in my Intellijel 7U 104HP in case anyone is wondering what power supply I am using.

Honestly, depending on how they handle the next stage of firmware will determine if I ever buy another Endorphin.es product in the future.

chem101
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chem101 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:20 pm

I ordered a Milky Way around 2 weeks ago and just got it into the rack to start playing. SUPER noisy. Not even usable for me, really. Hopefully Perfect Circuit will let me return it because this thing kinda sucks tbh.

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:26 am

Anybody has experience with these modules and Frap Tools power?

dantapes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dantapes » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 am

So after reading all those comments about squawk filter I decided it is still worth a try..
Build quality, design, whole concept: 10/10. EXACTLY what I was looking for + even more (build in hi pass filter is super handy). but that noise was HORRIBLE. what a joke. returned immediately.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:45 pm

bommelito wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:37 pm
fruitsnake wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:01 pm
made this printable version of MW manual, figured others might want it...
Ah, perfect!

I wish there was something like that for the Squawk Dirty module, too! How did you do it?
I just desaturated the image, bumped up the contrast, and inverted the colors. Had to mess around with the color balance and sharpness a little too so it was readable. Did it all in Preview with the adjust color tool.

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm

Tried the R2 and R3 updates but the noise levels are exactly as before. Manual says the module should flash green when installing, mine flashes with a faster blue light, dont know if this means that im not getting it properly installed or something.

Asmodis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Asmodis » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 am

Has anyboy the issue that the lights on the second bank (low lit before the update) do NOT lit anymore?

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:07 am

Asmodis wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 am
Has anyboy the issue that the lights on the second bank (low lit before the update) do NOT lit anymore?
Nope, at least not that :=)

JuliusRe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JuliusRe » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 am

I just read the whole thread and now i sadly think i don´t want to get a SQWK or a Milky Way anymore :confused:

Can anybody recommend some alternatives to these modules?

MW just seemed to offer great versatility and good sound for such a small fx module. I considered the SQWK, as i wanted to get a ladder filter anyway and welcomed the additional filter types.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Tired of waiting for FX AID, so got myself a b-stock MW. The previous owner must've returned it because of the noise :hihi:

What can I say... it's frustrating, but only when nothing's going on. It is hard to recognize the noise when the unit is doing its job. I expected it to be worse than that. A bit disappointed that the mix is much quieter than the input tho, but I can live with it too.
Hek wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:01 pm
Tried the R2 and R3 updates but the noise levels are exactly as before. Manual says the module should flash green when installing, mine flashes with a faster blue light, dont know if this means that im not getting it properly installed or something.
Same here. I guess it's a typo in the manual.

Tobor
Tardis Chauffeur

Post by Tobor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm

waiting my Shuttle.
:D

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:04 pm

synth.void wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:11 pm
What can I say... it's frustrating, but only when nothing's going on. It is hard to recognize the noise when the unit is doing its job. I expected it to be worse than that. A bit disappointed that the mix is much quieter than the input tho, but I can live with it too.
Yea exactly my experience, and the effects are actually great so im kinda happy with it too.

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm

So at the moment the Squawk Dirty is better to be avoided? The noise depends on the case power source or is something that affects only some units randomly?
I have an Intellijel 7u 104hp and would like to get the module. Anybody with this case can report?

shaun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shaun » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm
So at the moment the Squawk Dirty is better to be avoided? The noise depends on the case power source or is something that affects only some units randomly?
I have an Intellijel 7u 104hp and would like to get the module. Anybody with this case can report?
I have this exact combo (intellijel 7u 104hp). I mentioned earlier in here that Squawk's noise for me, while it is there, is neglible compared to Milky Way.

Milky Way is very noticeable to me, but like the last posters in here mentioned, it's not actually noticeable when you actually use it in the mix.

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:00 am

shaun wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:42 pm
I have this exact combo (intellijel 7u 104hp). I mentioned earlier in here that Squawk's noise for me, while it is there, is neglible compared to Milky Way.
I missed your comment, thanks. Would you purchase Squawk now if you knew of its noise?

shaun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shaun » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:25 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:00 am
I missed your comment, thanks. Would you purchase Squawk now if you knew of its noise?
I absolutely love the Squawk dirty filter. If it somehow broke, I would buy another one. The noise is barely audible on this one for me.

Also just to clarify, hearing noise for me means nothing is going into the module's inputs and I plug the module's out into my mixer and I monitor that output.

What do i hear from that point? Well I am expecting to hear nothing. Milky Way you clearly hear a higher pitched noise. Squawk Dirty, I don't hear anything remotely similar. Anything I do hear is barely audible.

For my ocd sanity, I ended up checking every module in my rack. Milky Way is my only module that has noise that is clearly audible. However, run a sound through its input and I don't hear it in the sound, which is why I'm ok with it. I believe that's why a lot of earlier posters keep mentioning proper gain staging is key.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm

See- I hear the exact high pitched noise you speak of in my Squawk. It's always there.

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm
See- I hear the exact high pitched noise you speak of in my Squawk. It's always there.
So it's possible that depends on the case? Is there some sort of pattern here?
Anyway, I guess it'll be resolved with a patch. I'll keep an eye on how it goes.

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:36 am

hirnlego wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:20 pm
Chaklack wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm
So it's possible that depends on the case? Is there some sort of pattern here?
Anyway, I guess it'll be resolved with a patch. I'll keep an eye on how it goes.
Shrug. I tried my 4ms POD, my Cre8 Nifty Case, My Rackbrute and by Doepfer cases...did not seem to make much of a difference unfortunately.

:despair: :despair: :despair: :despair:

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:59 am

Nah, sending mine back, can’t help but getting distracted by the noise.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 pm

It would be nice if someone from Endorphin.es could comment. I asked about a firmware for the SQWK and was told it was in the works in early January.
I think there's enough squawking here about it that maybe some response is warranted? A "we're working on it" at least?

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:45 pm

Or perhaps just a "**** you" so we at least know where we stand! :despair:

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm

The support told me that the firmware is the only difference between noisy units and not noisy ones. They’ve said that it looks like I’ve correctly updated the firmware and there’s nothing I can do for the time being. Nothing I can do with a soldering iron either.

Also, the GREEN led in the firmware update manual was confirmed a typo. There should not be any green leds at any point in the process.

I hope it helps.

hirnlego
Common Wiggler

Post by hirnlego » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:46 am

synth.void wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm
The support told me that the firmware is the only difference between noisy units and not noisy ones. They’ve said that it looks like I’ve correctly updated the firmware and there’s nothing I can do for the time being. Nothing I can do with a soldering iron either.

Also, the GREEN led in the firmware update manual was confirmed a typo. There should not be any green leds at any point in the process.

I hope it helps.
So the firmware update didn't help like they said it would?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”