Endorphines 6HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

TheBruteMusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by TheBruteMusic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:56 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm
I got to play some more with the Milky Way today - it's quite a noisy module. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's a very noisy module exhibiting both white noise and also a very high pitched noise.

Here's a simple example:

The first tone is an Atlantis sine wave going directly into a Mixup and out to my computer. As you can hear, besides the tone, it's pretty much silent.

The second tone is the Atlantis going through the Milky Way completely Dry to the Mixup and to my computer. Nothing changed in the gain staging, just the signal routing.

It gets worse if you start going from Dry to Wet.

> Noise Demo

Sigh

I'm getting quite tired of these noisy effects modules. I got the Mimeophon recently and that too has a noticeable noise floor (though it does have a noise gate unlike the Milky Way).

:bang:
I unfortunately have already the same issues with the same two modules. The Mimeophon is noisy. It's disappointing in regard of the good quality of the other modules from Make Noise I own and, certainly, in regard of the price of the module. But the Milky Way tops it all! That's very annoying and not state of the art technology in 2020. Unusable. I wrote to Endorphin.es directly and will wat what they say. Otherwise I have to return it.

TheBruteMusic
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by TheBruteMusic » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:23 am

TheBruteMusic wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:56 am
OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm
I got to play some more with the Milky Way today - it's quite a noisy module. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's a very noisy module exhibiting both white noise and also a very high pitched noise.

Here's a simple example:

The first tone is an Atlantis sine wave going directly into a Mixup and out to my computer. As you can hear, besides the tone, it's pretty much silent.

The second tone is the Atlantis going through the Milky Way completely Dry to the Mixup and to my computer. Nothing changed in the gain staging, just the signal routing.

It gets worse if you start going from Dry to Wet.

> Noise Demo

Sigh

I'm getting quite tired of these noisy effects modules. I got the Mimeophon recently and that too has a noticeable noise floor (though it does have a noise gate unlike the Milky Way).

:bang:
I unfortunately have already the same issues with the same two modules. The Mimeophon is noisy. It's disappointing in regard of the good quality of the other modules from Make Noise I own and, certainly, in regard of the price of the module. But the Milky Way tops it all! That's very annoying and not state of the art technology in 2020. Unusable. I wrote to Endorphin.es directly and will wat what they say. Otherwise I have to return it.
Wow, that's a fast service form Endorphin.es!! Bravo. I've got response from them just after few hours with the kind advise to follow a link on the homepage to install the two FW updates. The last one shall particularly fix the noise issue. The installation procedure is very simple.

However, it had absolutely no effect in the noise and hum reduction of the module. I've asked them back if there are any further FW updates planned to be released soon. We'll see.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Re: Endorphines 6HP

Post by synth.void » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:55 pm

hirnlego wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:46 am
So the firmware update didn't help like they said it would?
Most likely the firmware was updated by a previous owner, so can’t compare.
TheBruteMusic wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:23 am
. I've asked them back if there are any further FW updates planned to be released soon. We'll see.
They told me not to expect it any time soon.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 pm

They're losing the great reputation the have/had!

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:39 am

Wubz wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 pm
They're losing the great reputation the have/had!
At the eurorack manufacturer’s scale that happens all the time. The modules are awesome apart from the noise. I’d buy more of their stuff now that I’ve played with MW.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:27 am

I just seen that a noise fix Stage 2 Firmware update is out for the Squawk Dirty, I assume there might be a Stage2 fix on its way for the Milky Way, but I am afraid it'll take a while...

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 am

I just did this update. All pass mode is cool but does nothing for the digital noise. Still there, as loud as it ever was. Super bummer.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:54 am

Chaklack wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 am
I just did this update. All pass mode is cool but does nothing for the digital noise. Still there, as loud as it ever was. Super bummer.
I am getting more and more to the point that is not really a PSU or hardware issue anymore, rather a NOISE floor level that is considered acceptable by some (and I see definitely by the manufacturer) and considered NOT acceptable by others, many on this forum. My system is rather quiet and when i plug the Milky Way I clearly notice both louder noise floor and 1kHz-2kHz hiss that was not there before. (Running 12U/98HP with 2x Koma STROM)

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:54 pm

I ran the update for SQWK. Still the same noise is present. It also sounds like the input gain is much higher. Maybe the noise fix is really just gain staging.

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:03 am

I’m trying hard to understand how a lot of people have been talking bad about this noise/digital thing but this thread seems normal to have 5000€ system powered by a uZeus.
I’ve read thru all this thread and I’m kinda surprised how everyone is 100% sure their home is suited for making music: especially considering how electricity is well treated in some EU’s places (cannot talk for US). :sarcasm:

Can someone please gently post a sheet with different psu?

Chaklack
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaklack » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:21 pm

pablowdadon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:03 am
I’m trying hard to understand how a lot of people have been talking bad about this noise/digital thing but this thread seems normal to have 5000€ system powered by a uZeus.
I’ve read thru all this thread and I’m kinda surprised how everyone is 100% sure their home is suited for making music: especially considering how electricity is well treated in some EU’s places (cannot talk for US). :sarcasm:

lol. I don't think i've seen on uZeus listed. I have personally tried it on ground loop isolated power on 5, yes 5 different PSU's in my different cases and the result is the same every time.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:03 pm

Arturia rackbrute PSU here. I have two supplies and with both exhibit the same problem. Also I have an ultra low-noise circuit setup with noise reduction components in-line (APC ISOBAR). I have tried multiple different circuits in the house. Same problem anywhere. I even went as far to run my case on a 12v car battery via a jumper kit. Same thing.

I am one to just gain stage the noise out though.

freerider197
Learning to Wiggle

Post by freerider197 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:50 am

pablowdadon wrote:

I've seen pretty much every possible PSU listed in the thread and the vast majority seems to have this issue, funny how is also similar across modules, not only one.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Chaklack wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:21 pm
pablowdadon wrote:

lol. I don't think i've seen on uZeus listed. I have personally tried it on ground loop isolated power on 5, yes 5 different PSU's in my different cases and the result is the same every time.
I power my 310hp system with 2 uZeus and I have zero noise floor on my Milky Way, like absolutely nothing. Earlier in this thread I observed that in fact several other people who are also using uZeus to power their Milky Ways are not having the noise issue. I have found the same phenomenon happens when you use different power supplies to run old Yamaha and Digitech gear; some PSUs will cause a nasty high pitched sound - exactly like examples I've seen posted of the Milky Way - and other PSUs will work perfectly. Same specs, everything seemingly identical, some just work and some make the skree of doom.

I don't disagree that uZeus is far the top-of-the-line Eurorack power supply, but that's not really relevant here. For whatever reason, the Endorphin.es modules just like that power supply; someone who knows more about electrical engineering could probably explain what's going on.

Maybe if you really want to use the Endorphin.es digital modules, you should just get a uZeus and use it to power the one row you keep those modules in.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm

The real problem, in my opinion, is how Endorphin.es keeps saying they're going to fix the issue with a firmware update when I feel like they must fully know that the situation is based on the architecture of the circuit and its relationship to the power supply. They seem to be aware of what's really going on because they're trying to fix it with gain staging and noise gating type solutions since they know that the noise is inevitable with certain (or perhaps most) power supplies. :doh:

Why don't they just say that there was a design flaw and put up a list of compatible power modules up on their website? This whole discussion could be over if they would just admit to what's happening.

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm
Why don't they just say that there was a design flaw and put up a list of compatible power modules up on their website? This whole discussion could be over if they would just admit to what's happening.
Because that'd be an admission of liability for a faulty product and could lead to an obligatory full refund for everyone who wanted it. It's astoundingly rare that any manufacturer will ever admit they got something fundamentally wrong. It took 346 deaths before Boeing finally admitted an error.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:50 am

Noise with uZeus here.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Richard deHove wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:21 pm
It took 346 deaths before Boeing finally admitted an error.
Yay capitalism!

tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvparcable » Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm
The real problem, in my opinion, is how Endorphin.es keeps saying they're going to fix the issue with a firmware update when I feel like they must fully know that the situation is based on the architecture of the circuit and its relationship to the power supply. They seem to be aware of what's really going on because they're trying to fix it with gain staging and noise gating type solutions since they know that the noise is inevitable with certain (or perhaps most) power supplies. :doh:

You're very right. And while I understand how full admittance of the fault may result in serious financial difficulties for a company the size of Endorphin.es, I still think the way the company has handled this problem has shown little loyalty and honesty for its customers, especially with the release of a firmware that simply hides the noise and does not fix anything, coupled with the promise of another version. To me it sounded like an attempt to keep selling units and not discourage potential buyers, while they knew perfectly well the design itself was the problem. I am just happy it was not a 400+ EUR module, but at the end of the day, I still feel Endrophin.es is simply not one of these companies I would ever trust again with my money, except for cables or whatever. Today the module is in a box, I don't think I would buy another Endrophin.es module again, and I just regret I didn't go for something like the FX Aid instead.

avisitfromdrum
1-Post Wiggler

Post by avisitfromdrum » Fri May 01, 2020 4:46 pm

echo the sentiment above around the response from endorphin.es :(

the firmware update changed nothing for my Milky Way (i hear the hum with my polyend anywhere and tip top mantis power supplies)

that being said something that was effective and gave me some real peace of mind:

* patch sound source into milky way ins
* patch output into a LPG (in this case i'm using the Meng Qi DPLPG)
* patch offset into the LPG CV until the whine + noise is inaudible

This technique inevitably darkens the sound somewhat, but It's made the listening experience tolerable and allowed me to enjoy the great set of FX once again! Happy to post pictures/sound examples if anyone's curious

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm

Basically we're all stuck using extra modules to clean up a signal. In reality this 6hp module is 10+hp.
Alot of us can make it tolerable, but we shouldn't be put in that position.

Jon-Luke29
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Endorphins terminal and expansion selling

Post by Jon-Luke29 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 pm

Instead of the selling page for Forum I am here?

pewpewlazer
1-Post Wiggler

Post by pewpewlazer » Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 am

Tried my Milky Way in BOTH a Mantis case and my current Pittsburgh case to no avail. Tried reaching out on Endorphins Facebook page also, nothing. What’s the deal with such crappy customer support? I really want to like it, but reading this all is sad... I’ve downloaded the latest firmware, but still same issue and tbh noise issue is bad. I wish they’d just say anything, instead of nothing.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Tue May 05, 2020 5:31 am

pewpewlazer wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 am
Tried my Milky Way in BOTH a Mantis case and my current Pittsburgh case to no avail. Tried reaching out on Endorphins Facebook page also, nothing. What’s the deal with such crappy customer support? I really want to like it, but reading this all is sad... I’ve downloaded the latest firmware, but still same issue and tbh noise issue is bad. I wish they’d just say anything, instead of nothing.
Try their email from the contacts page, or the beta email (beta@endorphin.es, as in the firmware update PDF). They are nice and respond quickly.

sam_saw
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sam_saw » Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Installed the new Firmware on the Squark Dirty, system powered with uzeus, still get noise and the nasty spikes at 4k , 8k, 12k not good but obviously eq able.
Can this be fixed or not i wonder

Return to “Eurorack Modules”