Endorphines 6HP

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:39 pm

This is a bit of a noob question but I rather ask and stay on the safe side than do something potentially stupid now when I just got the Milkyway installed in my rack. Is it possible to route the output of channel 1 to the input of channel 2 and in this way get the FX doubled? Logically I can't see why this would be a problem since both channels are separate and their signals aren't being summed up inside the module, right?

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 am

Now when I've had a chance to play around with the Milky Way a bit I've discovered that, as was mentioned earlier, mine is quite noisy too. The effects are all great and I really like the way they sound but the noise levels makes me wonder if maybe I've got a faulty module. I uploaded a quick recording here to my soundcloud to give an example:

https://soundcloud.com/robinlindqvist/m ... le/s-VagkT

The first 15 seconds is a melody from Rings playing without being connected to the Milky Way, just for reference. Then I plugged this exact same melody into the Milky Way with both 'cabin pressure' and 'cabin fever' set fully CCW and with the volume knob at around 50%. The changes in noise level and noise character one can hear corresponds to when I push the 'type' button. Lastly is the output from Milky Way with nothing plugged into it, with the same settings as above, and it's just me pushing the 'type' button. The recording is raw with no changes to audio levels afterwards. According to modulargrid my case (Rackbrute 6U) at present draws 991 mA which in well within boundaries. For anyone with more knowledge, does this sound like a grounding problem or a faulty module?

I feel it is necessary to mention again that the FXs on this module sounds really great and I'd love to keep it but to be able to use it the noise levels need to be dealt with. So any help would be much appreciated!

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 am

I too have the same noise issues with the Squawk Dirty.
Regardless of filter mode, and even with nothing patched into the input, there is considerable noise on either output.
It's powered by the Arturia 6u power module.

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:30 pm

I was about to buy 2 of these... Clear proof that this forum makes members buy less modules :hihi:

BigZordon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BigZordon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:02 pm

just got the milky way and the noise is unbearable. a shame, as the effects are very nice sounding, but i’ve tried it on two different power supplies, and the digital whine is very apparent. also when turning up different levels there is a hiss ontop of the high pitched whine

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:46 am

Wow guys maybe there's a problem with the module ? I can believe Endorphin.es released them with that noise / whine level ... maybe there's a trimmer to adjust ? the manual indicates that you can adjust the input level with it ... does it change something ?

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:43 am

mmm just plugged mine, noisy as hell like the rob_dylan example, I can't believe it ! tested it in different situation, trimmed it a bit ... always the same loud noise / whine . back to the dealer asap. :waah: :doh:

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Saladolar » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 am

Does someone have a noise free unit ?

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am

Saladolar wrote:Does someone have a noise free unit ?
or a way to fix it ?

rob_dylan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rob_dylan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am

Saladolar wrote:Does someone have a noise free unit ?
I find it hard to believe that all units would be flawed. And, like I said, the FXs in themselves sounds super good. Think I'll try to get mine replaced with another one and hope it will work.

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:36 am

southberry wrote:the manual indicates that you can adjust the input level with it ... does it change something ?
I tried this, didn't make a difference. The noise is present whether there is any input or not.

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am

To me the noise sounds exactly like the hiss you get with a ground loop in audio equipment, but i'm not sure how/if that's possible here.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm

psienide wrote:To me the noise sounds exactly like the hiss you get with a ground loop in audio equipment, but i'm not sure how/if that's possible here.

yep exactly !

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 am

I've emailed Endorphin.es many days ago about the problem, still get no answer (but there's a simple info@ on their websites)
Maybe there's a problem with a firmware or something ???? or a bad batch ???? on their demoes, or few people videos, it doesn't sound like a s***** noisy toy ... just contacted the seller to ask a re-found and send it back ...
it's not like a -45dB thing ...

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:40 am

Pity about this, have had the milky way for a month now and at the very last minute chance have had to cut the shit and admit the noise is too much. Absolutely loved some of these effects and is a super well thought out module... But damn that whine :sadbanana:

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 am

ronnieb wrote:Pity about this, have had the milky way for a month now and at the very last minute chance have had to cut the shit and admit the noise is too much. Absolutely loved some of these effects and is a super well thought out module... But damn that whine :sadbanana:
yep the saladolar's question is still unanswered ... is there, somewhere, somewone with a noise/whine free unit ?
like I said I'm okay with some noise (I'm used to guitar amps and old analog stuff noise) but at this point the module is unusable ...

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 am

You shouldn't have to do this, but my strategy to reduce the noise is just to amplify the input signal so I can turn down the output level on the mixer to reduce the noise floor.

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:43 am

Actually i'm thinking that using the audio input trimmers may accomplish this without the need for an amplifier before the signal in. I'll give this a shot.

psienide
Learning to Wiggle

Post by psienide » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:06 pm

So I adjusted the input trimmer to 75% CW and this allowed me to attenuate the noise signal out of mix at the mixer but still have enough amplification for a good signal.

It also showed me how little headroom my mixer has... i'll probably roll the trimmer to 50% or less.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Yes, this is a shame to hear the feedback from everyone about the apparent noise floor. I had this on my list to purchase but now unfortunately won't be. Hope they can get something sorted, unless this is intentional.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 pm

psienide wrote:You shouldn't have to do this, but my strategy to reduce the noise is just to amplify the input signal so I can turn down the output level on the mixer to reduce the noise floor.
Man I tried that but the whine is always there, is not like a typical noise floor. I will retry trimmer adjustement (when I received it eveything was clipping, so I've already try this solution ... but even with that the noise was breaking the floor)

Koryo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Koryo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 am

I owe you all an apology. Specifically @OHEXOH

My system had noise, and I don't quite remember when it all arrived because I swap modules regularly. Suffice, because I was lacking reference, I didn't realize how noisy it had become. Also, I was attributing my noise problem to the wrong module.

So what really bothered me is that sources I trust and my experience didn't match with what others were reporting, so I had to get to the bottom of my noise. Isolating the Squawk and Milky, 100% wet, it was noisy af! Just as some expressed, the high pitched whine and full spectrum noise. Completely dejected, rather than smashing things I sampled other effects modules that I had racked. 2hp - Reverb nearly as noisy but still yucky. Erica Synths - Pico DSP, better. Joranalogue - Filter 8 really loud. That made me scratch my head. Make Noise - Mimeophone and Morphagene both kina loud. Now I was really scratching my head. The by far, the quietest, nearly silent, effects module I have racked is the Radikal Technologies - EFFEXX 1701. (Hats off to Jorg. Made me realize how exceptional his work is.) I was plugging headphones directly into the outputs. Then I found where all my noise was coming from. The frikkin' Endorphins.es - Cockpit. Basically it's trash. Even with all inputs muted; noise, and lots of it. That module was masking all the other noise sources.

So I ripped them out and went hunting for a new mixer/output section. I settled on Happy Nerding. What a difference. Back on track.

Testing everything out, wonderfully noise free. So what about the 6hp es you ask? Turns out that the outputs on these modules are all the way to euro spec, even more in my opinion. When I initially tried them out I was heavily gain stageing them. Knock the level way down and they are quite lovely. So it's a hard no go using them as final mix effects, but for sub mix effects, they work as advertised.

Side note: When I was looking at the PCB and pin routing; as far as I can tell, they are using the analog, not digital, ins to the codec output IC. The spec for those pins are 86db S/N. :(

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 am

Koryo wrote:I owe you all an apology. Specifically @OHEXOH

My system had noise, and I don't quite remember when it all arrived because I swap modules regularly. Suffice, because I was lacking reference, I didn't realize how noisy it had become. Also, I was attributing my noise problem to the wrong module.

So what really bothered me is that sources I trust and my experience didn't match with what others were reporting, so I had to get to the bottom of my noise. Isolating the Squawk and Milky, 100% wet, it was noisy af! Just as some expressed, the high pitched whine and full spectrum noise. Completely dejected, rather than smashing things I sampled other effects modules that I had racked. 2hp - Reverb nearly as noisy but still yucky. Erica Synths - Pico DSP, better. Joranalogue - Filter 8 really loud. That made me scratch my head. Make Noise - Mimeophone and Morphagene both kina loud. Now I was really scratching my head. The by far, the quietest, nearly silent, effects module I have racked is the Radikal Technologies - EFFEXX 1701. (Hats off to Jorg. Made me realize how exceptional his work is.) I was plugging headphones directly into the outputs. Then I found where all my noise was coming from. The frikkin' Endorphins.es - Cockpit. Basically it's trash. Even with all inputs muted; noise, and lots of it. That module was masking all the other noise sources.

So I ripped them out and went hunting for a new mixer/output section. I settled on Happy Nerding. What a difference. Back on track.

Testing everything out, wonderfully noise free. So what about the 6hp es you ask? Turns out that the outputs on these modules are all the way to euro spec, even more in my opinion. When I initially tried them out I was heavily gain stageing them. Knock the level way down and they are quite lovely. So it's a hard no go using them as final mix effects, but for sub mix effects, they work as advertised.

Side note: When I was looking at the PCB and pin routing; as far as I can tell, they are using the analog, not digital, ins to the codec output IC. The spec for those pins are 86db S/N. :(

Thanks for your detailed post ... yep like I said, it's not the only noisy modules / instrument in my collection. But more than a common noise floor, it's a full spectrum noise with a big whine ... my ErbeVerb is also a bit noisy, but nothing you fixe with a small EQ / level input ... If Autopilot was adding mess to all you system ... I guess Endorphin.es needs to re-work a bit ...

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:12 am

This has been interesting read - I adore my grand terminal and was gonna pick up the effects as they’re uniformly excellent and not spin based for once..

As with any effects there is a little balancing of levels required as I noticed some noise but with that attended to man these are great - love em all
look up!

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:16 am

just to end ...
before to send it back to the dealer this morning I did a last test.
trying different cases, power solutions, disconnected power angry modules (even if I have a lot of room) ... nothing changed

I then try to adjust the trimmer, no noise reduction, just saturation when I start to reach the "line level" around 60% ... :hmm:
the signal at the MW inputs is not quiet, it's a very loud signal ... still a big noise floor / whine that can't be ignored ... I wanted to use this module like an end of the chain stereo in / out reverb ... useless
:bang:

I'm sorry but this can't be considered as an usual noise floor like I get from other material .... or it's a ten-floor architecture ... :hmm:

For me there's two options : 1 – There's a bad batch and this problem is a factory issue ... 2 – Endorphin.es find it acceptable / normal and you'll have to deal with it ...
Still no answer from Endorphin.es (mailed them 4-5 days ago ... )
maybe they will read this topic before my e-mail ?

I wish it's a factory issue ... because on the paper it's the module I'm dream about since many years ... a <8HP HQ stereo In / Out reverb.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”