The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
10%
Play Sequences to VCO's
16%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
13%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
6%
All of the above
48%
None of the above
6%

Total votes: 31

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:45 pm

Sandrine wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm
Yes everyone was pretty happy about the Sequarallel it seems ;) The 30 minutes felt like 5 minutes to be honest
:love: :spin: :hug: :hug:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Ahhh sweet solitude!
Sure I'm PO'd that all my summer plans seem to be doing a final round in the toilet before departing into the oblivion of what may have been, but I am really digging into the Sequarallel and each time I come up for air it's better!
The PlayList that was has a new function and the PlayList that is, is entirely different, more functional and way easier to use. The chop and echo can now transpose each chop or echo element following a group of 8 transpositions, starting at any offset. This in affect acts like a chord inversion on an arp but with any tone offset.
With echo you can get 4 echos from the original (during FX Mask high), with Chop (ratchet) you get a speedy 8.
Sample of all Sequarallel-
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/tra ... opEcho.mp3
In this sample, at 30 seconds, the down beat chord burst is being echoed 4 times (so there's 5 total) and nothing else until the 7th step.
At 1:30, is ratcheted steps (times curved,fast2slow) in a different sequence with 2 different transpose "maps" being applied and some randomization to alter chop to 7 occasionally.
The piano (/1 clock,8 steps) is only 1 note & 1 chord with note echo/transpose map applied
There's automation on the main transpose, and I'm letting the percussion transpose (always like that!) which is why is changing with the key.
You can hear the percussion switching around. This is all under TRAX5 control, not playlist. 16 step loop, fully autonomous :)

The GM synth is a MIDIplus mini-engine (SAM5xxx), Yamaha DD-series, and a couple of SDS_VCO's, modular kick.
This is very stereo so that's the best way to hear it all going on!
Last edited by Sandrine on Fri May 01, 2020 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 pm

dual post

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Fri May 01, 2020 9:40 am

This looks amazing. I'm really excited about this. I'm going to ask for a feature request since you're still making revisions. Can you incorporate midi over USB? It would be really helpful for a lot of setups, including mine! :)
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 am

actually after further thought, I have a Midi din to usb converter so that's not really a deal breaker, but it would be nice.
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri May 01, 2020 2:59 pm

shredsickgnar wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 am
actually after further thought, I have a Midi din to usb converter so that's not really a deal breaker, but it would be nice.
Glad to hear! We're excited too :hyper: every day is a new adventure

All of the revisions are software, not hardware. (we have them in stock already!)
The planned expansion for the Sequarallel will have USB though (SD too), that's a ways off into the future as still on the drawing board

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 am

don't know if this has come up but a thing i miss most in current sequencer(s) is clocked/fixed (bars) recording
and punch in/out (remotely?)

-what would be very cool is some sort of performance shortcuts so glitch/repeat (of all/certain/pre-defined regions/tracks?)is possible with 1 note/knob action
-or with a certain controller amount for steering the amount of repeat/glitch (?)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 am
don't know if this has come up but a thing i miss most in current sequencer(s) is clocked/fixed (bars) recording
and punch in/out (remotely?)
Sorry about the delay, not getting Muff's notifications on some threads :hmm:
If I understand you correctly, you mean a defined length of recording.

Layers are real-time (unquantized) MIDI recorders. The Layer Record loatches to, and can be set to multiples of, the Song Loop defined, while that is Looping, or at any time with the length it was set to.
You can hit record in a Layer QB button and dial in the length -or- send the remote CC, to arm it.
Start playing whenever. Once the loop point comes up, you can stop, or continue to add more. If Layer QB's "Append" is on, any playing past the end of loop will continue the recording, thus doubling the size etc.
If in a SOng Loop at the time (LOOP on) then the recording will be attached to wherever the loop was happening in the PlayList. If there was no loop then it will be placed into the Playlist group that happens to be playing and keep playing until stopped or muted (yep another remote CC)

TRAX recording is quite different...
TRAX recording can be on continuously (each can be assigned a recording channel which is handy) but there is also record on/off CC's for each of the 5 "in Song" TRAX sequencers. Certain parameters can be turned off to preserve tracker sequence's velocity, note length, FX#, and delay. If delay is allowed, then the quantizing is no longer apparent, so TRAX can be either quantized or not based on that record setting (make sense?)
I love to leave the FX alone so they are applied to notes I play in.
There may be a Record Note as there's already (midi-learn) Notes for delete, stack (for adding notes horizontally to a sequence), cycle (replacing notes in a cycle), and sequence reset.
-what would be very cool is some sort of performance shortcuts so glitch/repeat (of all/certain/pre-defined regions/tracks?)is possible with 1 note/knob action
-or with a certain controller amount for steering the amount of repeat/glitch (?)
Yes a TRAX tracker can have CC's assigned to override things like ratchet, ratchet curve, echo, transpose subsequencer for those, fine tune, glide, note lengths, offsets etc
These modify PlayList overrides in reality, not individual notes like Note-FX does (which would be impossible I think).

There's also Song/Layer modifiers that can be remote controlled + everything has solo/mute control. I'm trying to keep the REMOTE QB's list single-level so it's fairly long. but everything *is* grouped though!

Did you have any more specific thoughts on this?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 am

not at the moment as i grasp with all the intel
i'll need to get some hands-on experience to dive fully in this and (maybe) come up with refinements - or praise

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri May 08, 2020 4:07 pm

Well, put simply, while playing loops etc, you select a track in the playlist, adjust CC's for which FX, then hit a note to apply to steps, or areas while the note is down. If was recording, further adjustment of these parameters will change all of the "punched in" FX. Selection of tracks can also be remote via CC/notes up down
That's one way, in the TRAX editors you can select regions (filled, all lanes or single lane, skipped every 2 or 3) and destructively modify the same parameters in NoteFx module linked to the selected notes, or select, for example, note lengths for all selected and adjust those. Initial selection still requires use of the panel & screen though. (for now ar ar!)

-edit-
While on that subject, I have been trying to figure out a way to arm loops (TRAX, Layers etc) within the playing group of tracks or outside of it (which can be done from the screen) with CC's to select the track and row in the PlayList to play next.
I imagine with an X/Y MIDI controller (which I don't have) would be fairly easy, but using two CC's is confusing.
Assigning specific CC values to different pads works for selecting tracks, (1 of 15) as you may only be working with 3 or 4, but the row is touchy as there are 64...unless the controller could step through CC values every 2 say...
I have tried up/down CC values (ie 0 is down 127 is up) but you still have to look at the screen which may or may not be easy to see from any distance. It should be absolute control. SOme controllers show the value (like my UC33) if one can remember where it is, which row, long enough to select it. ;)

It just seems like a really good idea to incorporate.
It's OK bouncing around the screen with the cursor but right away I felt the need to remote control it.
Another way might be to use a group of notes/pads that one assigns (while performing or whenever) by selecting said pattern block, and pressing the note (learn mode) for subsequent arming.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat May 09, 2020 4:51 am

yeah, the possibilities are 'endless'

you could tie it to a note on a specific MIDI ch, that leaves you -at least 88 possibilities, (note) on/off-
-you could reserve e.g. MIDI ch 15 for specific tasks/messages
or you could tie it to a MIDI cc (on a specific MIDI ch ?) which gives you more/less 100 (bar the specific volume/modulation/reserved cc's) with all their values

i think the thing (also) is to document it really good, to have a specific list (to start with) so users don't have to do too much thinking on their own (?)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:51 am
yeah, the possibilities are 'endless'

you could tie it to a note on a specific MIDI ch, that leaves you -at least 88 possibilities, (note) on/off-
-you could reserve e.g. MIDI ch 15 for specific tasks/messages
or you could tie it to a MIDI cc (on a specific MIDI ch ?) which gives you more/less 100 (bar the specific volume/modulation/reserved cc's) with all their values

i think the thing (also) is to document it really good, to have a specific list (to start with) so users don't have to do too much thinking on their own (?)
Ha! That's starting to sound like "Look Mum No Computer" guy (aw it's only 3000 knobs!)

Well, as far as FX, the way I am attacking this is with a generic set of custom CC FX controls, some won't apply to some targets while most apply to the Trackers
A CC, note range, notes up/down, or PC on the remote channel will select the target.
The FX CC positions are remembered so they must be "passed" to activate when switched to a new track.

This is probably the best way as the 18 or so controls don't change so most controllers can deal with it, and they only need to be set once.
Selection of tracks by note range is easy, with the CC it's OK if pads can be programmed with values on the same CC.
SO! There are a couple of notes to apply the FX, one momentary, the other latching. The groove on the loop can be recorded. Looping also remote controlled via note.
There's yet another note range for transpose (user defined). I have used this already and it's a great thing to have focused on a single track as there could be drones running on one track and you're on a melody bouncing around inversions. To record I guess it would need to be recorded to an automation# (there's 8) like a regular transpose. :goo:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon May 18, 2020 11:23 am

Update:
After playing around with the PlayList (which has all the loops & elements on a 14 x 64 grid) I have come up with a nicer way to Remotely arm loops within the playlist.
You triple-click the loop pattern block (or element like ENV/AUTOMATION) you want to arm for play remotely via MIDI. The pop-up will appear. Select [REMOTE] QB to enter the settings for remote which will show for example:
REMOTE ARM#16 TRAX5A
REMOTE ARM#16......(allows selection/modification of other remote arm MIDI assignments if desired)
GRID: TRAX5A:37.....(shows location of this remote control)
MIDI NOTE: 036.......(has MIDI Learn when selected)
MIDI CC#:001 AT 064.(also has MIDI learn)
CC VALUE: ABOVE.....(or EXACT)
TOGGLE LOOP:YES....If yes, then will hold the loop from progressing through playlist unless hit again (handy!)

So once you have a bunch of groups of loops or just loops, you can arm them to play with the cursor as usual or assign a remote MIDI control to it dynamically. Only pertinent Loop blocks are arm-able keeping the controller complexity down.
Whole rows can be armed, like with the cursor, as well (simply by triple-clicking the row column and selecting [REMOTE]
These remote arm's can also be recorded by the Automation track (up to 8) so basically can control the "song" in multiple ways, be recorded, then added in the PlayList as arm-able loops themselves!

This is all in addition to my last post regarding the REMOTE FX controllers mask record function which selects whole tracks to apply FX gates to a running set of loops as they play. This remote feature will allow selection of those loops you want to apply FX gates to :)

A bit more..
One other thing I discovered is when recording a TRAX tracker loop while it's changing to other TRAX letters (i.e. A->B) in the playlist would allow the recording to continue into the next TRAX sequence as Record is set for the TRAX#n QB (which has 8 different sequencers). I was going to block this but left it alone!
Of course I next added a bunch of TRAX sequencers in a row in the playlist, which then jumped into another group that was out of order (AFGBDCEH) to play my long piano sequence in a different order lol! That kept recording so I added more notes, trying to keep up, and it then went back to the sequence in order again. Super surprising results! I'll have to make a video of that ;)
Last edited by Sandrine on Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Just thought I'd jump in and cover the "Mirror" function which I have been meaning to do for ages, to get opinions..

All TRAX sequencers, Song, and Layers have the Mirror note modifier.
Notes above the set mirror point are "reflected" precisely onto the other side. i.e. if the mirror was set at 41, then a note 36 (C3) would end up as note 46. While this sounds awful, it's not a t all! (Thanks Tiger001!) There are lower and upper limits that can be set so while some notes will mirror, others won't. If the result is out of the set range then the original note is used. Pretty simple.
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/seq ... imits2.mp3
This sample has a simple single TRAX sequence with some variance from it's FX map and transposed echo. I am slowly changing the mirror point. Notice how the high notes are left alone at first, until the mirror is high enough that the resulting notes are in range.
The echoes are stepping through transpose sequence but are post-Mirror so still follow their progression from whatever note mirror creates.
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/seq ... limits.mp3
And this sample shows how musically happy mirroring is! I am somewhat selectively choosing mirror points in the TRAX QB.

The PlayList can of course take this over and each TRAX's mirror is unique to the the TRAX number (not letters A-H) so up to 8 TRAX can use the same setting(s) which is nice. This is just one sequence for the sample, up until the end where I start a chromatic sequence
I'm going to add this to the automation sequencers too I think.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun May 24, 2020 11:40 am

Updates:
Sorry about posting all of this, and perhaps some readers will be interested during this phase of finalizing features, but it's mostly a fiduciary to fall back on once I start getting carried away (feature creep arrrrr!) for logical additions. This is not a collab so no ideas bouncing off anyone other than father time ;)

Note MIRROR-
Added limits to them. Lower and upper. Notes the "reflect" out of the limits range will be left alone. This is a really useful addition as a sequence could have an underlying series of bass notes which would reflect to very high notes. The limit would allow these to play on while more central notes are shifted around.
Another addition is an Octave switch. This quantizes the Mirror to step in 6's from previous value. Why 6's? Because the reflected notes are doubled right? So 12 notes difference. Limits were used in the second sample I posted the other day

There is also Mirror control for the recorded MIDI song (globally as of now) and each MIDI Layer, to add variation.
Mirror, like transpose, can be automated or changed via playlist FX as well so it can be pretty fun to work with.

Swing or Groove Map
Each of the 5 main TRAX trackers has a swing control (+ and -) and a mask that steps with 1/4 notes (of course) or every beat. The mask is 16 steps and, like NoteFX mask, each step can be turned on or off. This means some steps will have swing while others not. The default map is "all on" to the swing control will act as a normal swing (except that it can go -99 to +99 %!) The swing control is in each TRAX's drop down QB's, so easy access

The swing amount is global to each tracker so TRAX sequences can change while the groove remains the same. I had considered making each unique to each of the 40 tracker total, but it was too complex and I ended up duplicating them anyway. If the groove is to be different, the Play List FX can take-over swing control (and map?) anyway.

Bridging Steps
The Bridge feature is also mask map based. (1-16 steps) This also creates a groove but specifically with the GATE ouputs, not MIDI notes as they can't switch once struck. Note lengths have no bearing though so MIDI can almost match it.
By default all elements in the map are off.
When a bridged step is on, the gates will stay on up to the following gates, whenever that is, and if off for that step, will end the gate. Just like a normal sequencer except it can be 4 lanes of notes with bridge being ended or continued by one.
Bridge is a QB in the TRAX editor so can be unique to each sequencer letter so up to 40 patterns.

Level:nnn
The Main TRAX Level is also in the TRAX's QB's drop-downs for easy access. There is a small menu under the QB for setting MIDI CC7, to enable level of TRAX channels by volume, or Velocity offset, which is up to you.
The Level control translates to the modular realm via the VEL jacks if being used for level, so is also an option to disable/enable for Level. VEL jacks could be being used for other things so this is more of a fall-back option.

PlayList TRAX Editing
When you dive into a TRAX editor from the main screen, there will be a list of TRAX Letters (A-H) and their names if named, to select from. The presently playing TRAX letter will be highlighted so a single click will enter into that sequence. -Or you can select a different one.
Once in a TRAX editor (this is while the PlayList sequence is playing) the Play List sequence will be frozen so it continually loops at that point. This is great for adding a TRAX sequence to a particular part of a main sequence, which can then be inserted, numerous times) while still in the editor if it's a new one using "+PLIST+" QB button.
TRAX patterns (blocks in PL) will be added in their own group so will continue to play once exited.

If the TRAX sequence is entered via the PlayList (triple-click on block, select edit QB), it will directly open for editing and freeze the Playlist as well. This can be useful even while performing because as long as you don't save the whole song, all changes are temporary. I like to do note lane shifts or shift every second or third step to modify the sequence without completely changing it.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 am

Update:
Making TRAX copy/paste area usable across the board with any TRAX sequence.
Granted the TRAX "Load From", which covers any Song's TRAX, could be used for entire sequence pasting, I have found it would be useful to be able to copy only sections, or every 2nd, 3rd step (using SKIP:n button) to prime an alternate sequence that will be switched to in the PlayList.

PlayList editing
I have changed the PlayList editor so that QB buttons related to editing (i.e. copy, fill, skip, delete, shift+-, insert) are turned on before the action of selecting pattern blocks or regions to invoke the said edit function.
The first bunch of buttons are editing related, then the status buttons follow (PlayList FX record & play etc) and some modifiers like Record, Solo, Mute, Remote "Learn" mode
Right now record action in the Playlist will enable multiple tracks to be recorded to (ones with the same record MIDI channel will defeat others) but am considering assigning record to individual patterns while the PlayList steps through them.

As mentioned above, if *Record is turned on in a main TRAX QB, notes can be added to any TRAX letter as the PlayList steps through them. This is fine if they are all the same only one TRAX letter will be recorded to, but as mentioned previously, a whole set of TRAX letters can be recorded to which might not be what we want.

Adding single pattern blocks to a record grid will take a fair chunk of volatile memory so I'm thinking of creating a stack to keep track of record enabled patterns which would be more forgiving. The entire PlayList track will still be selecable for record.

The other issue is indicating which tracks/blocks are enabled for recording.
In TRAX it may be a simple matter of using modified icons (i.e. the letter scrunched over enough to allow a record "ball" to appear, or with envelopes just a record icon in place of the waveform icons) but with Layers blocks, they are numeric indicating persistently the number of bars so something different will need to be done with those.

Remote CC/FX Gate recording
The fore-mentioned Remote FX Note Gate remote controls will also be able to be recorded (haven't added this yet) so the same issue kind of happens with this... But this is loop oriented (only records Gates while looping) and the track is selected remotely for modifying FX with CC's + the Gate note so not as much of an issue as the results will be heard immediately ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 pm

After attempting to equate and understand a confusing question about multiple velocities in sequencers, I came up with this..
Using a single CV and Gate outputs to trigger multiple samples together in a sample player.
As we all know most modular samplers (Reflex included) use the CV state and a trigger to play samples. If the sampler is poly (i.e. can play more than 1 sample at a time, poly wave synths the same thing) then this is a way to do it with only 1 Gate and 1 CV jack.
When a TRAX tracker is assigned to play all of the notes in one step to only 1 row, the notes are all loaded to the output rings (both MIDI and CV/GAte) at the same time. When playing, the 1st note is sent to the CV and the Gate would be turned on (after a user set delay time). Immediately after that, the second note will be "seen" and sets the CV etc.
So all you end up hearing is the last note.
Now if all notes in lane 2 were set 1/24th delay, (easy to do with FILL) and all notes in lane 3 were set to 2/24th delay, etc. then the gate will be reset for the new note only mS later, thus producing a burst of gates on each step, CV pre-adjusted.
So one pair of jacks would be able to do 4 note poly with any sampler or poly CV synth.+ with velocities if it takes that CV.
I haven't tried this yet but the theory is sound ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:24 pm

Update:
VCO Auto-Tune working!
The Sequarallel now has auto-tuning for each of the 4 rows of jack's CV (1V/Oct) with maps for up to 8 VCOs (with 16 char names) per jack.
In [FINE TUNE] QB theres fine tune offsets, MIDI note Zero Volt offsets, and the VCO selector. A CV out can be calibrated by selecting (and naming) a VCO for that jack, then selecting that jack to calibrate (at the bottom of list).
Then you patch the VCO (set VCO to square wave output) and the CVout to the VCO, then click to start the tuning procedure. It takes about a minute for the full 10 octave range as it's very accurate. The tuning is standard 16 Hz @ note C0
MIDI notes beyond the VCO's range (above or below) will simply wrap so there's always a proper note on the VCO.

So I first tested using an SDS_VCO, which didn't need much correction. It is tonically perfect!
Then the real test, a tragically horrible VCO on the ModEm1 module I threw together back in 2015. It's a Hz/V type and is very non-linear. Just an oscillator to be controlled by the ModEm's sequencer.
It tuned perfectly as can be heard here: http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/mod ... -wMIDI.mp3 ..it's within 1 or 2 Hz! It's playing along with MIDI, and the changes are by the "MIRROR" setting so there's full coverage. Even with that high popping out things are very in tune. :tu:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Is there anything this module doesn't do?!? Congratulations Sandrine!!!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 am

we chatted before about tuning & (micro) scales
could loading a scala file as a tuning base be helpful / possible ?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:18 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:58 pm
Is there anything this module doesn't do?!? Congratulations Sandrine!!!
Thanks K, yes the one thing it can't do is program itself so I still have to do that part
wavejockey wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 am
we chatted before about tuning & (micro) scales
could loading a scala file as a tuning base be helpful / possible ?
Yes I have made room for scala. It's a separate entity -edit- to be applied during the tuning process logically in place of the chromatic scale. I think this would be the best way albeit a bit tedious to set up.
So I figure there should be a small library of named scala tunings to select from (once loaded via sysex) for VCO tunings. It would be up to the user to appropriately name the VCO/tuning.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:58 am

cool 4 me

Return to “Eurorack Modules”