The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
8%
Play Sequences to VCO's
19%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
19%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
8%
All of the above
41%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 37

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Sandrine » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 pm
Available? Any idea current timeframe to release?
For sure this summer. I've been taking my time with this as we haven't really wanted to release during the CoVid thing :sstorm:
Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks, Sandrine. No doubt it will be!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 am

Subject: Scala
There are some issues with the scala implementation that put a limit on the MIDI
The CV tunings are no problem using the VCO tuning section by simply selecting a loaded scala table and auto-tuning to it....
The MIDI can be made to follow (not by tunings as many synths don't support this) using pitch bend variations on notes in the scale range, BUT, for polyphony, the MIDI channels need to be set to MPE mode (zone 0, or zone 1) or only single notes can be played. As many non-GM synths don't support multiple channel MIDI there arises this conundrum.

So there's a choice of leaving MIDI out of it entirely, or just allow the user to deal with the non- MPE limitations.
On the other hand the tunings could be compiled into an MTS for synths that do have it, but then many synths seem to handle it different ways (i.e. some using the pitchbend ranges only, while others actually re-tune)

Seems to be a real can of worms on the MIDI side, whichever way you do it!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 am

true, few (midi) synths support poly pitchbends
for scala to work correctly (in case of few or more than 12 keys per octave), one needs a KBM file (keyboard mapping)
so i advocate to compile into MTS as this is most precise system
leave it up to the (synth) manufacturers to compile/agree fully with the MTS standard
(if your code is 100% in line with midi.org MTS standard, you are not to blame)

in case of eurorack, tuning from a scala file seems indeed the most elegant way
(i don't know if MTS files can be used to tune VCO's)

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/micro ... on-systems

ps. i think many of those non-GM synth that you refer to are monophonic

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 am

impressive how much music/notes you can cramp in/out of this little sequie #blackmidi
also a nice/ideal blend of MIDI and CV appliances control

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Indeed! It does benefit from remote control and recording though as a half hour composing multiple TRAX gets hard on the neck ;) Course I'm a geezer so everything's hard on the neck. Remote on the PlayList, especially controlling which loop plays from an assigned note or CC is very useful. I want to do this via CV as well, just need to experiment more with it. I find myself splitting loop arms on notes C+ for TRAX1, and F+ for TRAX2, and A+ for TRAX 3 or 5 (those are percussion) but on a 4X4 pad controller one could divide them up left to right.
It's a good idea to kind of standardize PlayList control too, like always use the same setup so you don't have to think much ;)
wavejockey wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 am
true, few (midi) synths support poly pitchbends
for scala to work correctly (in case of few or more than 12 keys per octave), one needs a KBM file (keyboard mapping)
so i advocate to compile into MTS as this is most precise system
leave it up to the (synth) manufacturers to compile/agree fully with the MTS standard
(if your code is 100% in line with midi.org MTS standard, you are not to blame)

in case of eurorack, tuning from a scala file seems indeed the most elegant way
(i don't know if MTS files can be used to tune VCO's)

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/micro ... on-systems

ps. i think many of those non-GM synth that you refer to are monophonic
Missed this one!
Each has it's pluses and minuses though don't you agree?
Mucho software can do it, but yes the synths are patchy it seems, even with the same brand name...for whatever reason.
I suppose there could be an option for the MIDI side of it MTS or MPE/single with pitchbend. (that may be a bit of work to take on)

Yes MTS could be used to obtain VCO tuning, it's just a compiled (top tone+) 7+7 bit system based on A 440, but wouldn't be as accurate into the decimal places so...
Seems the higher frequencies, where you want more accuracy, are the ones that suffer the most, whereas the lower frequencies, as much as it doesn't matter, are very accurate :bang:

Personally I like the frequency table as it can be edited manually (before sysEx) but being an RF tech originally, of course I do

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 am

Sandrine wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Indeed! It does benefit from remote control and recording though as a half hour composing multiple TRAX gets hard on the neck ;) Course I'm a geezer so everything's hard on the neck. Remote on the PlayList, especially controlling which loop plays from an assigned note or CC is very useful. I want to do this via CV as well, just need to experiment more with it. I find myself splitting loop arms on notes C+ for TRAX1, and F+ for TRAX2, and A+ for TRAX 3 or 5 (those are percussion) but on a 4X4 pad controller one could divide them up left to right.
It's a good idea to kind of standardize PlayList control too, like always use the same setup so you don't have to think much ;)
Off Topic
then you haven't experienced my neck massages yet :oops:
i've got a novation launchpad (pro) on surplus so that would make a nice remote control
what is the pinout for the MIDI ins/outs on the sequarallel?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 am
Off Topic
then you haven't experienced my neck massages yet :oops:
i've got a novation launchpad (pro) on surplus so that would make a nice remote control
what is the pinout for the MIDI ins/outs on the sequarallel?
Sounds good! You're a bit far away though
The Sequarallel is Type A (Korg) I think the launchpad is type B
but you're right that would make a great controller

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Update:
Holidays not over but I'm already getting back into the Sequarallel in spirit!
If there's a rainy week in August I'll be into it no doubt :headbang:

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:59 pm

"Up to 3 CV inputs configurable to control almost anything in the Sequarallel or any MIDI control"

I have more than enough MIDI to CV available to me right now (Minibrute 2, Nifty Case, Disting EX), but the above quote from the first post would seem to indicate that this is also able (in an obviously truncated version of going the other direction) to do CV to MIDI conversion, or am I reading this incorrectly?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:59 pm
"Up to 3 CV inputs configurable to control almost anything in the Sequarallel or any MIDI control"

I have more than enough MIDI to CV available to me right now (Minibrute 2, Nifty Case, Disting EX), but the above quote from the first post would seem to indicate that this is also able (in an obviously truncated version of going the other direction) to do CV to MIDI conversion, or am I reading this incorrectly?
No you're not, the CV inputs will control most functions of the module or send MIDI CC/PW etc to MIDI out or LINK out and merge it with whatever else is being sent. The main reason for this is CV control of MIDI FX ( like cut/ rez or pitch mod ) but can be used in any way. Envelopes can also be recorded through this jacks (CC5 & CC6). Jacks can be set I/O individually

Return to “Eurorack Modules”