The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
9%
Play Sequences to VCO's
20%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
18%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
7%
All of the above
39%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 44

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Sandrine » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:05 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:03 pm
is there a clipboard functionality present?
cut/copy/paste/explode(traks)/combine(traks)/apply (to) clipboard (settings)
Hey, yes there is
There's Copy/Paste & Recall in TRAX (like Undo)
Also TRAX steps can be windowed over by changing the "Bottom" of sequence. This can be changed by the Play List in each pattern block which is kinda cool. You could have a short 16 step window in a 64 step sequence and move the start position around with each "bar" (whatever that is) or remotely.

I'm not sure what you mean by "combine"?
There is no "combine" TRAX although this could be done with copy/paste I guess!
In the Play List TRAX can be "combined" as far as play order right?

Update:
Anyway, I have decided to make a significant change to increase the memory space and make it more compatible with Select Bus
There are now 64 Song projects but each has twice the size. I'm also increasing the envelope's resolution etc.
This gives more freedom with Layering and even the Song size by quite a bit!

On the new Song FX (quite marvellous!) I'll have to take some time out and do a quick video on it. I'm totally in love & hope you all will be too!
Cheers!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:31 am

combine/merge track a/b/c/x into clipboard
explode clipboard (with multi track info on it) into tracks a/b/c/x...
-this also for tracks with (only) MIDI (cc/controllers) info on it

of course (?) all MIDI (cc etc) info on tracks to copy/paste etc as well

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:17 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:31 am
combine/merge track a/b/c/x into clipboard
explode clipboard (with multi track info on it) into tracks a/b/c/x...
-this also for tracks with (only) MIDI (cc/controllers) info on it

of course (?) all MIDI (cc etc) info on tracks to copy/paste etc as well
Wow that's a loaded question
In the Play List you can copy multiple tracks over multiple steps as a region, then paste elsewhere, even as a wrap (larger size) paste
The Attributes (FX) only can be copied and pasted onto other patterns in the playlist in the same way, which is similar to Explode if I understand correctly

In a TRAX editor, base attributes (lengths, delays,velocities, FX#) can be copied in a filled or skipped region and pasted onto other regions of steps...as a single Lane or all lanes

MIDI CC/Pbend recorded would be in the Layer tracks. So in the Play List, they can be placed wherever, to affect MIDI and/or CV channels as they were recorded.

Interestingly, a TRAX sequence can be used to play CC's or pitch bends without notes by using the noteFX attributes and setting all note's velocities to 0 (or in a single lane) and setting FX#'s to each
noteFX has a couple of CC # settings and pitchbend setting. So up to 8 variations can be made as FX then applied to the notes in the sequencer. Notes with velocity 0 (min) won't play by default, but the CC's will.
Just drop that into the Play List where you want the CC's applied

I have used the CC's for MIDI cut & rez and set the channel to a Layer channel and the CV5 out from that cut CC ;)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm

nice, thanks sandrine
i think the sequarallel will be loaded!
but...are you sure about the name?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:29 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:59 pm
nice, thanks sandrine
i think the sequarallel will be loaded!
but...are you sure about the name?
Bien sur! You should change your pseudo to waveGuide lol
But up to 10 sequences running in parallel, not including sub-sequences of course :guinness:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:50 am

ego sequi te

i'll need more outs

Fedor
Common Wiggler

Post by Fedor » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:43 pm

what if I don't need the gate outputs at all, can I set them to something else? Mainly interested to use both aftertouch and cc74 slide motion with mpe controller on each voice.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Fedor wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:43 pm
what if I don't need the gate outputs at all, can I set them to something else? Mainly interested to use both aftertouch and cc74 slide motion with mpe controller on each voice.
Interesting. Gate is linked to all things Note & Trigger, but doesn't operate by itself from another source. All of the CV outputs are configurable to whatever. That said, it might be worth putting in an option for, say CC switch or TRAX gates sequencing. I'll make a "note" of it :) :hihi:
Thanks!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:38 pm

We're featuring the Sequarallel this month on the site seeing it'll be out soon http://www.freshnelly.com/featured.htm I did a nice little write up (too tired to code!) that describes the module in a quick and concise way, check it out!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 am

great news

love the re-arrange (menu) feature ; users are by far too many manufacturers seen as consumers and not editors

i think the sync feature is underexposed, as currently the only device doing a MIDI/Clock/FSK sync is Roland 707/727 of old ages

"Also the Clock output, if never used, can be a CV input in a pinch" this is kinda strange, why not turned into an (extra) out instead of (extra) in ?

"What's really amazing is the ability to record "across the board" on different tracks as they play in the Playlist. " does this mean i can feed the Sequarallel a multi channel MIDI and it will record at the same time in different tracks/layers ? Or play along with the playlist on a (MIDI) split keyboard and the recording of that will go to it's respective tracks/layers, bound to MIDI ch ?

the re-note feature looks very nice ; how many times have i not played the right notes but not with the right timing or vice versa - will this feature be available for layers/traxs/... ?

"Of course the same sequence might be elsewhere in the Play List which makes it even more interesting to use this way." So this is a sort of ghost copy feature ? You change one (basic) sequence and in the playlist, the other sequences that have the same origin, will change accordingly ? Or not change accordingly ... (?)

the Play List seems very powerful to arrange a full song as you can use the recorded/loaded sequences and arrange these into groups and start playing and trying out different arrangements on-the-fly !

with MIDI being 16 channels and 127 controllers, i think i will need more than 1 Sequarallel to output all data...
(but i think maybe an extension/expander could come one day)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:53 am
great news

love the re-arrange (menu) feature ; users are by far too many manufacturers seen as consumers and not editors

i think the sync feature is underexposed, as currently the only device doing a MIDI/Clock/FSK sync is Roland 707/727 of old ages
Yep hard to believe.
"Also the Clock output, if never used, can be a CV input in a pinch" this is kinda strange, why not turned into an (extra) out instead of (extra) in ?
It can output triggers & such but hardware isn't geared for CV like the rest..
"What's really amazing is the ability to record "across the board" on different tracks as they play in the Playlist. " does this mean i can feed the Sequarallel a multi channel MIDI and it will record at the same time in different tracks/layers ? Or play along with the playlist on a (MIDI) split keyboard and the recording of that will go to it's respective tracks/layers, bound to MIDI ch ?
Ha ha! No it can only record one tracker at a time, but it's easily remote switch-able from one to the other.
Layers on the other hand can record along with a tracker, on same, all, or different channels. This is useful for having a tracker follow the chords you're playing in (esp. with re-note!)
the re-note feature looks very nice ; how many times have i not played the right notes but not with the right timing or vice versa - will this feature be available for layers/traxs/... ?
Just with the trackers, although FX applied to a Layer will still be applied as new Layers recorded.
"Of course the same sequence might be elsewhere in the Play List which makes it even more interesting to use this way." So this is a sort of ghost copy feature ? You change one (basic) sequence and in the playlist, the other sequences that have the same origin, will change accordingly ? Or not change accordingly ... (?)
Yes the Sequence changes ( on the notes/lanes level including "local FX" if allowed to) but any modifiers imposed by the Play List FX won't
the Play List seems very powerful to arrange a full song as you can use the recorded/loaded sequences and arrange these into groups and start playing and trying out different arrangements on-the-fly !
Indeed, it's just like that! And you don't have to stop it at all, so it's like a jam
with MIDI being 16 channels and 127 controllers, i think i will need more than 1 Sequarallel to output all data...
(but i think maybe an extension/expander could come one day)
The only thing to worry about in a longer chain is latency
Because of the Sequarallel's sensitivity & drive levels, the MIDI in can be split using a standard TRS splitter, and the out will drive 3 others. I do this all the time... especially the output as most of my non-GM stuff only responds to 1 channel
The panel MIDI out & LINK out are simultaneous in timing, and the Link input can merge with the panel MIDI in.

Thanks for the comments!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 am

Song Fx is complete!
After a week long expedition into a software bug (not in Song FX) I came up for air and finished off the last bits of the Song FX button. Song FX works the whole song recorded and can influence other things like Layers and the trackers in some respects (like scale quant, swing, note mirroring etc), although as part of an FX (1 of 17 FX groups assignable), channels can be muted.
Here's a sample http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/seq ... -RinDr.mp3 of 12 bars incl. intro of the classic "Raindrops keep falling on my head" downloaded from MIDI world. The same loop, 8 bars long, is affected by 5 different FX groups as it is stepped through in the Playlist.
The loop becomes completely different with the same rhythm. FX applied are High/Low Limits, scale quants, note mirroring, lengths, transpose, tempo quant, and various FX sub-sequences masking/adding FX, retriggering and some velocity ducking.

-Song FX, such as transpose, mirroring, and scaling, can be simultaneously applied to the trackers and any Layers usefully.
-When loop markers are created in a Song, up to 16, each is assigned one of the FX groups (in order if they are not already being used) making it simple, but can be switched around or to default FX which is used by anything before the first loop.
I did it this way so an entire group of FX can be applied to any loop just by selecting it.

There's 2 ways to modify Song FX, from the Button drop-down, or from the pattern block in the Play List. If from the button, the present loop will hold (Loop) the entire Play List progression so adjustments can be made by ear. If in the Play List block, and Loop is not turned on, the edit can be made while others play.
Each block can have it's own FX group or none so bar to bar changes can be made over a series of loops or the same loop which is great for putting together a sequence.
Each of the 17 FX groups has Maj/min/7 + 4 user scales, and up to 4 different sub-sequences under the same sequence shift control (which is in ticks)

As to the release, it's getting closer! You know how coding is, some days everything zips along, while others are snail-paced, especially when there's a bug! Anyway trying hard to set a release well in time for Noel as I'm sure some of you would like to see the Sequarallel under the tree ;)
Cheers! S

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 am

The example is pretty mindboggling. Am I right to assume that it's lengths getting applied around the 2min mark?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:55 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:12 am
The example is pretty mindboggling. Am I right to assume that it's lengths getting applied around the 2min mark?
@2:00 most channels are stripped away (each FX has a channel mask) mirroring is on, high limit is set to deflect the higher notes from mirror, there's a scale quant knocking away some notes and tempo quant at 1/8's that kills the swing of the song, plus the sub-sequencer is re-triggering longer notes and yes the length is up to about 120% on sub-sequencer steps so that notes still on during a high on the sub-seq are re-triggered...then a transposition post everything else

I goofed on the loop size it's 9 measures not 8.
Mirror is interesting because it has lower & upper limits to validate which notes will be mirrored so some accompanying parts are left in their original form. As the scale quant is post mirror the combination of chords and melody takes on a whole new life

The result becomes use-able because of the scale quant and transposing to match a progression on say one of the trackers

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:29 am

This seems like a must-buy on-the-fly remixer in my book!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am

what kind of TRS - MIDI cable will be delivered with ?

i need some quite long (+3m) MIDI cables, so maybe best to provide a TRS to female MIDI ?

(long enough to 'exit' the rack)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am
what kind of TRS - MIDI cable will be delivered with ?

i need some quite long (+3m) MIDI cables, so maybe best to provide a TRS to female MIDI ?

(long enough to 'exit' the rack)
The Sequarallel will come with either a TRS to panel mount female MIDI or TRS to in-line female MIDI, it's about 1M. the TRS is right angle and we find this length better, rather than a short "dongle" interfering with whatever is below ;)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 am

perfect!

explosiwe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by explosiwe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 am

Hey!
I am really curious to know if you will have an option of choosing to output cv in higher resolution than the 7-bit 0-127 values. Like in the Endorphines Shuttle Control where they implemented their "No Damn Steps in CC (NDSCC)" algorithm so you can choose between Smoothed or Stepped while translating MIDI to CV. How will it be on Sequarallel?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:30 am

explosiwe wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 am
Hey!
I am really curious to know if you will have an option of choosing to output cv in higher resolution than the 7-bit 0-127 values. Like in the Endorphines Shuttle Control where they implemented their "No Damn Steps in CC (NDSCC)" algorithm so you can choose between Smoothed or Stepped while translating MIDI to CV. How will it be on Sequarallel?
I haven't implemented anything like that but it's a good idea. Using timeStep = timeDiff(uS) / ValueDiff*16(0-5V) would probably work for this. Of course this would be linear rather than curved response and there would be a time delay equivalent to the previous step if that matters. Interesting!
The envelope generators use something similar but as values are already known beforehand the output is time accurate.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:12 pm

be sure to remember/implement the bipolar outputs, also for MOD/MIDI cc (please)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”