The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
9%
Play Sequences to VCO's
20%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
18%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
7%
All of the above
39%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 44

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Sandrine » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:48 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:54 pm
Available? Any idea current timeframe to release?
For sure this summer. I've been taking my time with this as we haven't really wanted to release during the CoVid thing :sstorm:
Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks, Sandrine. No doubt it will be!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 am

Subject: Scala
There are some issues with the scala implementation that put a limit on the MIDI
The CV tunings are no problem using the VCO tuning section by simply selecting a loaded scala table and auto-tuning to it....
The MIDI can be made to follow (not by tunings as many synths don't support this) using pitch bend variations on notes in the scale range, BUT, for polyphony, the MIDI channels need to be set to MPE mode (zone 0, or zone 1) or only single notes can be played. As many non-GM synths don't support multiple channel MIDI there arises this conundrum.

So there's a choice of leaving MIDI out of it entirely, or just allow the user to deal with the non- MPE limitations.
On the other hand the tunings could be compiled into an MTS for synths that do have it, but then many synths seem to handle it different ways (i.e. some using the pitchbend ranges only, while others actually re-tune)

Seems to be a real can of worms on the MIDI side, whichever way you do it!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 am

true, few (midi) synths support poly pitchbends
for scala to work correctly (in case of few or more than 12 keys per octave), one needs a KBM file (keyboard mapping)
so i advocate to compile into MTS as this is most precise system
leave it up to the (synth) manufacturers to compile/agree fully with the MTS standard
(if your code is 100% in line with midi.org MTS standard, you are not to blame)

in case of eurorack, tuning from a scala file seems indeed the most elegant way
(i don't know if MTS files can be used to tune VCO's)

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/micro ... on-systems

ps. i think many of those non-GM synth that you refer to are monophonic

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:58 am

impressive how much music/notes you can cramp in/out of this little sequie #blackmidi
also a nice/ideal blend of MIDI and CV appliances control

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm

Indeed! It does benefit from remote control and recording though as a half hour composing multiple TRAX gets hard on the neck ;) Course I'm a geezer so everything's hard on the neck. Remote on the PlayList, especially controlling which loop plays from an assigned note or CC is very useful. I want to do this via CV as well, just need to experiment more with it. I find myself splitting loop arms on notes C+ for TRAX1, and F+ for TRAX2, and A+ for TRAX 3 or 5 (those are percussion) but on a 4X4 pad controller one could divide them up left to right.
It's a good idea to kind of standardize PlayList control too, like always use the same setup so you don't have to think much ;)
wavejockey wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 am
true, few (midi) synths support poly pitchbends
for scala to work correctly (in case of few or more than 12 keys per octave), one needs a KBM file (keyboard mapping)
so i advocate to compile into MTS as this is most precise system
leave it up to the (synth) manufacturers to compile/agree fully with the MTS standard
(if your code is 100% in line with midi.org MTS standard, you are not to blame)

in case of eurorack, tuning from a scala file seems indeed the most elegant way
(i don't know if MTS files can be used to tune VCO's)

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/micro ... on-systems

ps. i think many of those non-GM synth that you refer to are monophonic
Missed this one!
Each has it's pluses and minuses though don't you agree?
Mucho software can do it, but yes the synths are patchy it seems, even with the same brand name...for whatever reason.
I suppose there could be an option for the MIDI side of it MTS or MPE/single with pitchbend. (that may be a bit of work to take on)

Yes MTS could be used to obtain VCO tuning, it's just a compiled (top tone+) 7+7 bit system based on A 440, but wouldn't be as accurate into the decimal places so...
Seems the higher frequencies, where you want more accuracy, are the ones that suffer the most, whereas the lower frequencies, as much as it doesn't matter, are very accurate :bang:

Personally I like the frequency table as it can be edited manually (before sysEx) but being an RF tech originally, of course I do

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 am

Sandrine wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:33 pm
Indeed! It does benefit from remote control and recording though as a half hour composing multiple TRAX gets hard on the neck ;) Course I'm a geezer so everything's hard on the neck. Remote on the PlayList, especially controlling which loop plays from an assigned note or CC is very useful. I want to do this via CV as well, just need to experiment more with it. I find myself splitting loop arms on notes C+ for TRAX1, and F+ for TRAX2, and A+ for TRAX 3 or 5 (those are percussion) but on a 4X4 pad controller one could divide them up left to right.
It's a good idea to kind of standardize PlayList control too, like always use the same setup so you don't have to think much ;)
Off Topic
then you haven't experienced my neck massages yet :oops:
i've got a novation launchpad (pro) on surplus so that would make a nice remote control
what is the pinout for the MIDI ins/outs on the sequarallel?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:21 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:50 am
Off Topic
then you haven't experienced my neck massages yet :oops:
i've got a novation launchpad (pro) on surplus so that would make a nice remote control
what is the pinout for the MIDI ins/outs on the sequarallel?
Sounds good! You're a bit far away though
The Sequarallel is Type A (Korg) I think the launchpad is type B
but you're right that would make a great controller

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Update:
Holidays not over but I'm already getting back into the Sequarallel in spirit!
If there's a rainy week in August I'll be into it no doubt :headbang:

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:59 pm

"Up to 3 CV inputs configurable to control almost anything in the Sequarallel or any MIDI control"

I have more than enough MIDI to CV available to me right now (Minibrute 2, Nifty Case, Disting EX), but the above quote from the first post would seem to indicate that this is also able (in an obviously truncated version of going the other direction) to do CV to MIDI conversion, or am I reading this incorrectly?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:59 pm
"Up to 3 CV inputs configurable to control almost anything in the Sequarallel or any MIDI control"

I have more than enough MIDI to CV available to me right now (Minibrute 2, Nifty Case, Disting EX), but the above quote from the first post would seem to indicate that this is also able (in an obviously truncated version of going the other direction) to do CV to MIDI conversion, or am I reading this incorrectly?
No you're not, the CV inputs will control most functions of the module or send MIDI CC/PW etc to MIDI out or LINK out and merge it with whatever else is being sent. The main reason for this is CV control of MIDI FX ( like cut/ rez or pitch mod ) but can be used in any way. Envelopes can also be recorded through this jacks (CC5 & CC6). Jacks can be set I/O individually

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 am

Here's a planned integration that can be used if one has both the new Sequarallel & Melisma modules
Connecting the Accord Melisma to the Sequarallel via backplane LINK and turning on "Melisma CV Slave" in Sequarallel will switch the Melisma to become a Gate/Trigger/CV interface (to MIDI) for recording / merging into the Sequarallel.
This can also be done with 1/2 the LINK interface (MelismaTX to SequarallelRX) and special Select Bus commands, either way.

So the Melisma's Gate controls capture of Root CV to send notes to be played/recorded into a Layer or TRAX tracker in the same way a MIDI keyboard might.

The difference between this and just recording CV2MIDI is that, from the Sequarallel, the other CV inputs can be assigned away from the Melisma's usual functions to special controls for the Sequarallel's internals like NoteFX and other global FX adjustments, Play List control, even record controlling, all via CV or trigger.
This expands CV inputs to give 6 additional CV controls to the Sequarallel in any combination + 2 more gate/trigger inputs to be assigned to switch-like functions.

All of this gets loaded & set with the Sequarallel's Song# and can be unique to each Song or copied from the default Song.

I would love to be able to do all of this via the Select bus alone but not certain how some other modules would react to this amount of throughput so decided to let LINK do the heavy lifting.
Of course, during "normal" non-slave operation in this configuration, the Sequarallel can simply take the Melisma's chords and present them to the panel jacks for VCO's as an advanced feature MIDI2CV, with record capability

All in the works!!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 pm

So what you are saying is that I need to get me a Sequarallel??
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 pm
So what you are saying is that I need to get me a Sequarallel??
:tu: ;)

hurphendale
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hurphendale » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am

I'm very interested in this module, but not entirely sure I understand it correctly. Excuse me if this a pretty basic question, I'm new to modular. My use case is this: I compose a lot of songs on my Synthstrom Deluge, but would like to perform some of the instruments with modular. I was thinking I could record entire arrangements of songs from my Deluge to the Sequarellel via MIDI. Then assign each MIDI channel to a different CV+Gate pairing and play these parts on my modular voices. Using the loop points I could define parts of the song to "hang" with while I jam, then progress on to the next part when ready. Is this a correct understanding of the way the module works?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 am

hurphendale wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am
I'm very interested in this module, but not entirely sure I understand it correctly. Excuse me if this a pretty basic question, I'm new to modular. My use case is this: I compose a lot of songs on my Synthstrom Deluge, but would like to perform some of the instruments with modular. I was thinking I could record entire arrangements of songs from my Deluge to the Sequarellel via MIDI. Then assign each MIDI channel to a different CV+Gate pairing and play these parts on my modular voices. Using the loop points I could define parts of the song to "hang" with while I jam, then progress on to the next part when ready. Is this a correct understanding of the way the module works?
Exactly!
You can also add tracker sequences, Layers, or FX while looping (via screen or MIDI controller), arrange the song to play in certain ways or just live control which loops play when.

Hope this answers your question!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 am

Updates:

Layering no longer locked to Song Loops
When a Layer is switched to record, the Layer size is no longer linked to the Song Loop sizes, but will initially be that size for convenience. When record is turned on, the initial size prompt appears and can be adjusted or left alone. If adjusted to the right (upward) the size doubles. If adjusted to the left will be divided until 1 at which point any adjustment will be +/-1 so the Layer can be any size.
The Append function still operates as a doubler or adder (in Layer settings) so if you continue playing X quarter notes after a loop then the newest Layer's play is cancelled and the size is doubled / added, record continues. Append is very useful!

New MIDI Layer format.
With the new Play List format, making Merged MIDI Layers to only play as a whole now seems limited. So I am going to change the way Merged Layers act in the Play List.
Each Merged Layer can be accessed by recorded points!

For example:
You play into Layer 1 initially. This is named Layer 1A, and Playlist will insert an "A" block on the Layer 1 track.
Then, with Merge and Append turned on, you play again into Layer 1 again, say twice as long. The "A" block becomes "B" and both layers merge and play.
Then you play in some percussion, still on Layer 1 and the Playlist block becomes "C".

Next you go to the Play List and can insert another Block and scroll back to "A", and another block to "B"
So now you have a sequence group in the Play list of C, A & B pulling up different stages of the Layering without having to "peel" or remove Layers merged.

What's really cool is you could add Layer "A" on it's own in the Play List (or in the Quick-Box) and re-Layer onto it with a different melody etc. and it would be named "D" so now you have an alternate A+B and A+D to choose from and add into the Play List, which is great for builds and musically cohesive

It's planned to allow up to 8 merged Layers this way, so A-H...and of course the can be Layer 2,3 & 4 making a total of 32 different Layers playable at any time.
Because Layers are completely channel compatible, any channel can be used at any time effectively offering complete hand-played composition potential without touching the module, as long as your controller (keyboard) can easily switch channels.

If Merge is turned off, then new Layer Quick-boxes will be created as usual and have their own tracks in the Play List, but there can only be 4 of these so depends on your application I suppose. (Muting/Solo tracks, assigning a Layer to Play List groups of TRAX)

I can see tremendous applications for this feature so I'll do my best to implement it!

hurphendale
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hurphendale » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Sandrine wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 am
hurphendale wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am
Exactly!
You can also add tracker sequences, Layers, or FX while looping (via screen or MIDI controller), arrange the song to play in certain ways or just live control which loops play when.

Hope this answers your question!
Thanks, it certainly does. Really looking forward to checking out this module, is there an updated ETA on when it will be available?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:50 am

hurphendale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks, it certainly does. Really looking forward to checking out this module, is there an updated ETA on when it will be available?
We're hoping before November barring any issues arising

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:42 am

Update,
Back to TRAX sequencers evolution..
TRAX Recording Options:
Note lengths recording (option) to the TRAX sequencers is working
Note Velocities recording (option) is working. This can also be used for MOD CV outs
Note Delay recording is working. I had some reservations about this one but it's good
Kill FX option overwrites any FX
"Re-Notes Only" is new. This captures notes input, stacked to lanes 1-4, and replaces notes in the sequence. The original sequence & FX remains but the notes are different. Holding 1 note will only replace notes in the 1st lane, two notes replaces lanes 1 & 2 etc. This is great for morphing one progression into another.

4 MIDI Notes can be assigned/learned (on selected input channels as they become active) to control the way notes are added / deleted from the sequence. Double-tapping any of these notes will lock it on.
None: (Rec-Notes off) Notes will be added to sequence into lanes 1-4 up to 4 at a time
Delete: Notes are removed as they sequence
Stack: Notes are stacked onto lanes until full
Cycle: Notes are added cycled through lanes (i.e. 4 notes at once would replace an entire step)
Recall: double-tap key to save presently playing sequence, single tap recalls it. If not saved, will recall entry state if in TRAX editor

I assign these to the top 4 notes on my keyboard with the recall on a black key, works well!

The note lengths option can be up to 8 steps, holding notes on in MIDI and causing bridging in Gate/CV land. It adds a more natural sound to the tracker sequences and is a quick way to add variability to an otherwise mechanical sounding sequence, especially chord steps

TRAX recording works across the board, i.e. can modify all tracker sequences as they play in the Play List i.e. TRAX 1 A, B, C etc. Originally this was going to be disabled and lock into one tracker sequence only (which can still be done simply by Solo-ing the sequence) but it has so much to offer I had to leave it alone! Plus they can be selectively recorded to by waiting for the sequence to come up in the Play List, best of both worlds!

So TRAX Trackers are finished, moving on to completing SOng & Layer FX. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:30 pm

The Sequarallel is coming along faster than expected (fingers crossing) :goo: :goo: :goo: Can't wait to get him into the wild!

So the recorded MIDI Song section (the part that is an entire song you can record in) has more song-wide FX than before. These are all within the :SONG FX: quick-box button, click & scroll to them. At this point there's:

Scaling - the entire song will be in a scale you choose or program, useful for mixing with TRAX sequences under transpose control etc

Swing- Swings Layers recorded in tandem to make it simple and TRAX if it's clock is *2 (chop swings too!) beyond 50% to 90% craziness!

Limit- limits all notes in Song to a maximum note then wraps down 1 octave. Useful with Mirroring

Quantizing- 1/8 1/12 1/16 1/24 & 1/32 play quantizing which can apply to Layers recorded

Length Attenuation - 1-100% length which affects all notes in the song

Levels - Affects velocities (not MIDI level) so works on jacks if set to be velocity

Mirror - Mirrors Notes above/below mirror note set. This has a menu under it to set low/high active ranges and switch to octave stepping when adjusting

SUBSEQ:n - This totally new add-on is a sub-sequencer (16 step) that can be used to gate these FX (velocity drops to set level with off states), +1 Octave, and Re-triggering notes that are on at the sub-seq's step time! This one is cool.

Here's a little recording I did of unlikely popular songs on a GM Synth with the Sub-sequencer (1010010010100110) on Mirror, Length, velocity, +1 Octave, and re-triggering...
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/Seq ... SubSeq.mp3

The first song is ABBA "S.O.S." You can hear it sometimes when Mirror is off
The second song @3:20 is Micheal Jackson "Beat it" (or Weird AL's "eat it") with a different Mirror note. Hard to hear original eh?
The short last @7:15 is another MJ tune "Billy Jean" which is more recognizable as the bass notes are partially out of Mirror's low range

These FX would be really great for a "name that tune" game haha! Gotta get back to work ;)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:46 am

Wow, that demo is crazy. Looks like we're steadily moving towards a period were you'll be able to prepare a ton of full sequenced songs for your live sets and then turn knobs while playing live.

Ok, GM sounds a bit old school, but with some proper instrumentation, oscillators, filters, etc, you could really have a great set re-mixing famous songs. They sound nothing like the original!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:55 am

yep, a (live) set with all popular MIDI songs loaded, mmmm

seems like all your (same/similar?) FX layer on different levels ; songs, trax, layers, SUBSEQ:n etc
(i love it when 1 sequencer can steer/influence another, you can built massive complex, ever-evolving sequences like that)

can be easier to operate if (more or less) the same logic is consistent/the same at all different levels of this ghost in a shell / devil in a box

i guess you'll need a handsome assistant / secretary to write that 200 page manual ?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:55 am
yep, a (live) set with all popular MIDI songs loaded, mmmm

seems like all your (same/similar?) FX layer on different levels ; songs, trax, layers, SUBSEQ:n etc
(i love it when 1 sequencer can steer/influence another, you can built massive complex, ever-evolving sequences like that)

can be easier to operate if (more or less) the same logic is consistent/the same at all different levels of this ghost in a shell / devil in a box

i guess you'll need a handsome assistant / secretary to write that 200 page manual ?
Yep, could be anything, but it's interesting to use the original structure, even if all scaled to a single chord (then CV select between up to 8 scales) and looping on a section of the song and including it in the main mix along with Tracker sequences, it's endless!

The Quick-box FX are pretty similar and some have cloning option to other sequences, i.e. Song Mirror can clone to TRAX tracker mirror and by default to MIDI Layers recorded so they work together.
TRAX has NoteFX though which, other than the "ducking" FX, is stand-alone in each tracker. The Play List FX override all other FX when enabled and are per pattern block so can completely change the same sequence or Song Loop from one bar to the next :)

Then all this can be controlled via MIDI CC so....

I already have a manual writer, but he seems to be back-logged a bit haha (right K?)
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:46 am
Wow, that demo is crazy. Looks like we're steadily moving towards a period were you'll be able to prepare a ton of full sequenced songs for your live sets and then turn knobs while playing live.

Ok, GM sounds a bit old school, but with some proper instrumentation, oscillators, filters, etc, you could really have a great set re-mixing famous songs. They sound nothing like the original!
Yeh that's just an old and simple GM synth. The Dream Sam chips sound better, just didn't have it hooked up. Plus no VCO's were or percussion modules were hooked up then, just pure GM (2006 Yamaha) KISS

Live is the target. There's so many ways to do it too... from just playing in a MIDI recording, then building on that, to starting with a percussion loop and playing VCO's or pre-arranged groups of patterns that can be queued via the "JumpTo" button, some patterns armed for recording etc. & Live gated FX control

It probably wouldn't be all used at once, but could be!
I'm pretty happy with the processor handling too, no clock issues (yet!) and MIDI buffers are solid 8-)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:03 pm

is there a clipboard functionality present?
cut/copy/paste/explode(traks)/combine(traks)/apply (to) clipboard (settings)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”