The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
8%
Play Sequences to VCO's
19%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
19%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
8%
All of the above
41%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 37

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:55 pm

New Addition:
MIDI record is great for recording a clocked sequence from a DAW, but perhaps a little inconvenient when playing live keyboard with a patch already in progress.
The Layer Record button is normally used for building on top of a sequence playing, which is really great, but what if there's no sequence playing?

This essentially turns the Layer Record into a sequence record. Using an incoming clock and no Sequence loaded, pressing the Layer_Rec quick box will open a window to select the number of bars you want to record from 1 to 64 in 2x steps, then the first note that is hit will begin the record.
The entire screen will display a Bar countdown (like the automation recorder) so you can see it from a distance... The Pedal 7 has this by default

Once the bars have counted to zero, the sequence will loop and play. If another note is played, a new layer is created etc. so a loop can be built up on any channels selected (via the keyboard or controller) which means a whole composition could be played in really!

Another really cool feature is is bar looping. If Loop is turned on, there's no markers so it will loop to 1 bar, 2 bars, whatever you have set for default loop size. The shorter section of the layers playing can be layered onto as well, but these will be stripped after exiting the loop to leave the main loop playout as before.

Transpose will work with this as with a normal sequence.

Using the Layer quick box, layers can be muted or peeled off the top.
This new sequence can be saved permanently, (named LAYER x) and will load as a normal empty sequence but with Layers.

Layering on a normal sequence will work the same way as before (without the bar setting and countdown)

I think this is a pretty good feature (obviously!) so it's going in

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:59 am

Anyone who ever wanted an Alesis MMT-8 in eurorack format will be VERY happy to read that above post :yay:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:14 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Anyone who ever wanted an Alesis MMT-8 in eurorack format will be VERY happy to read that above post :yay:
I've never seen that one before, I can see why too! Strange they didn't bring it back!

-removed proposed SDC expansion for further study---
Last edited by Sandrine on Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:10 am

Hey Sandy,

The expansion panel is definitely highly intriguing. I think it would be an invaluable expansion for anyone who is looking to keep a computer out of the setup, like myself. Plus, backup and restoration of important performances will be much simpler. :mrgreen:

Plus, I'm invariably going to want to play the same MIDI files i love to play through any synth with the Sequarallel, so anything to prevent needing to keep a computer nearby is :hail:

If it's a possibility I would highly encourage you to go for the expander.

I suppose using a full size SD as opposed to a microSD brings up the problem of the depth of the SD card, so you'd have to make the judgement on how far the SD card goes into the module. I personally think it wouldn't be necessary to leave the SD card in the expander constantly, so maybe leaving it more sticking out for easier insert/removal is preferable? Not sure. It's a minor detail. But, if you go for a microSD, you may be able to forego that concern AND stuff another cc jack or two. I imagine the majority of people are going to have a USB card reader anyway, and most do micro plus full size SD, and i can't imagine people are doing much else with the SD card than going between the computer and Sequarralel with it.

Here is another thing I just thought of while writing this post. It might be nice to turn all the jacks on the expander to CC or trigger mode. Imagine if you could do four synth voices plus three or four drum voices and everything would be peaches n cream. I had a vision of using the Sequarallel with a quad VCO and a couple drum modules and it was wonderful. Plus if i don't need that many CC's available, i could route those addditional outs to percussion or sampler modules, or even to do weirder stuff like trigger envelopes etc. I have a Liveloop Reflex (thank you!), a Doepfer A-112 sampler and a Ladik ROMPLAY with an IC of drum sounds. Could be a lot of fun. And then it's trivial to put a basic sequence on one of those trigger channels and then suddenly you would have 3 or so additional clock outs at different timings.

I always use the clock out on any sequencer I've used, i find it very useful, so i highly appreciate the consideration of the single Trigger out on the expander regardless :)

I wouldn't expect too much in terms of writing MIDI to the SD card. A memory dump or a raw MIDI file seems great. I don't think there's much need for anything else, honestly! Others can chime in on ideas related to if that's enough SD card support to make them happy. I tend to be not picky about that sort of thing...

Finally, if you're looking for any final hardware-related suggestions, I was wondering if a Reset button between the Trigger out LED and SDS logo would be possible? A tiny button to instantly put you back at the start of the sequence/song waiting for a trigger to start playing could be super useful for when you want to be lazy and keep trying a part of a sequence out. I have a Eurorack sequencer with a button which does exactly this and I've found I use it constantly. If there's spare unused space, it may be a cool thing to throw in.

Thank you again for your consideration of the community's opinions on this and I look forward to seeing how this evolves :)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:55 am

Sandrine wrote: Clocked portamento?
That's an interesting idea too! If was set to complete a run (gliss) in 1/8 then notes happening faster wouldn't get the full porta or wouldn't get played before another note. That's where tuning comes in, but if it was settable as timing 1/8, 1/16 etc then you'd be sure it would.
:P
i vouch for as much as possible clocked parameters
-of course MIDI input is clocked but maybe the translation and/or quantisation (to CV) is not

EG/LFO/portamento that can be clocked (and/or quantized/thinned!) is a huge advantage/selling point

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 am

the SD card add brings the SEQUARaLLEL into forefront of #eurorack battlegrounds, a spearhead as to say

you see more&more modules coming with this possibility

maybe it is nice to have a choice here (so an add-on like suggested is positiv)

like mentioned, i cannot come up with other possibilities than to enter the card into a card reader / computer - unless i can insert this (i can!) into my MPC Live/X-or Electron boxes (?) to save MIDI sequences directly (and not take the computer detour) - but then again, playing into SEQUARALLEL will records those sequences anyway (1 by 1 though)

i must sincerely add that i like the directness of the base module that 'forces' you to play (manually or with a sequencer) the MIDI sequences you want to record

but maybe an SD card brings also possibilites to do folder management/bulk dump, so i can organize my MIDI files on the SEQUARALLEL (better)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks Tiger001 for taking the time to ring in on this :)
Yes maybe upping the functionality a bit on the SD expansion would be better. It'll add $$ but I can see the advantages.

So CC7,8,9,10 might be more appropriate. That would put them on their own circuit and they could be note triggers, Notes, or CC's, like the others.
A button would fit nicely there (in place of LED but lower) but that function can already be done with the S button (stop) and the MIDI in jack as a start trigger. (subsequent pulses are ignored so could just be multed from the clock line)

The larger SD isn't an issue with depth as the module has to be about 30mm anyway to reach the headers (don't want to use ribbon) and those little SD cards ug, in an iphone, goPro or adapter they're great but I've busted many in half plugging into bigger things. Like you said adapter cards are fine.
This one will probably be push in-click-push-out style, those are great so the card can almost be flush.(2mm)

I have had several inquiries via email etc about SD possibility, which is why I'm considering it. I may just go ahead with the headers anyway, then do the expansion later...

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:53 am

hey sandrine,
i found the software that can do mirroring/inversion of MIDI by percentages
it is Voyetra Sequencer Gold Plus (runs under DOS)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:10 am

tiger001 wrote:hey sandrine,
i found the software that can do mirroring/inversion of MIDI by percentages
it is Voyetra Sequencer Gold Plus (runs under DOS)
Wow thanks! I haven't attempted to run it yet but the manual is chock full of great ideas! I can see why it still has appeal 3 decades later, really cool.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:49 pm

VIDEO!

At last I got around to connecting the Sequarallel's MIDI out to the Reflex LiveLoop's (w/Flash8 exp) MIDI control input. The results were not disappointing!
I used a demo sequence created a while back for the Flash-8 when it came out, but modified it to play MIDI drums and added 8 Loop Markers for the Seqarallel (Note#121).

What it does is records a few seconds of whatever audio is at the inputs by creating 10 slices (there can be up to 400!) then playing them and twisting them with PlayFX, granulizing, stuttering etc.
This is all from the Seqarallel which is running under the modular clock rate so it's all in sync.
I mixed the input with the MIDI percussion being played so when recording, the beats are always there at the start of slices, thus acting as a rhythmic beacon. This means any audio coming in will sound great! And it does :))

After recording it in, away it went. Jumping around the sequence was fun, but transposing produced really unpredictable stuff to happen as many of the Reflex's functions are note dependent (like PlayFX button, Record button etc) so that's probably a no-no.
Otherwise it was amazing.
Jumping to Loop 0 of course starts recording a new sample slice set.

I plan to do some vocal looping with this patch as it's just too cool not to. Once I come up with a song I'll post it on YT, cheers!

[video][/video]

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:39 pm

I have been doing some feature organization while PCB waiting and have come up with a (possible) new Mode :TRAX

TRAX Mode is selected from the MIDI Chan-CV quick box right after DRUMS mode. This opens 5 persistent Quick Boxes below it to scroll through.

Sequences for TRAX are written in a different way, but can be recorded in the same way via MIDI.
The differences are...

Each Channel can have it's own Loop/Jump marker notes, thus varied loop sizes

Depending on the total number of sequences (loops) on each channel (track) and the length/number of loop markers, each tracks length might be different.

Each channel should correspond to intended track channel setting in the Sequarallel, i.e. track 1 (row 1 gates/CV's) = MIDI channel 1, track 2 = midi channel 2 etc in any order.

Up to 16 tracks can be in the sequence but only the ones presently selected by track/channels list set will play out on CV's and MIDI output.

Track channels can be blocked just like sequencer modes.( but see below)

Percussion channel 10 will always play out as MIDI output (unless blocked)

---Using the TRAX mode---

TRAX mode assigns one track to each row of jacks. Each track's loop size can be different.
When TRAX mode is selected, or when a TRAX sequence is loaded from memory, 4 Quick-boxes (QB's) show up under the Channel-CV Mode QB. One for each track. + 1 QB for the percussion track (MIDI only)

Choose a Track QB (T1-T4) to turn off a track, or turn on + select a loop#0-8 (or bar if there are no loop markers ).
Once the QB is exited, after a moment a small graphic representation of the notes in the track will appear in each active track's QB. As the bars change so will the notes.

Arming to Play
Only Tracks that are turned on will play when a sequence play is started. They will play from the selected marker (0-8) or Bar (00-99) if no markers.

---Writing a sequence for TRAX---
Some things must be considered...
Each MIDI channel works independently of the others so can be of different length i.e.
Channel 1 has 5 different 4 bar melodies, Channe1 2 has 2 different bass lines each 2 bars long, percussion channel 10 has 3 variances only 1 bar long.
The sequence length recorded would be 20 bars because of channel 1, while channel 2 would end after only 4 bars and percussion after only 3 bars.
As a sequence it'll sound crappy while being recorded, but after recording the Sequarallel will recognize this (because of markers on >1 channel) as a TRAX sequence and set TRAX mode and divide them up accordingly.

With up to 8 markers (+1 for start), 4 tracks to the jacks, and 11 more channels to use as track alternates, a lot can be done with this mode

All tracks are bar quantized meaning they will always sync to the beat clock and if turned on mid way through a bar will wait until the new bar before beginning. (Option to break in positionally?)

---cool stuff---
Of the 3 CV inputs, two can be configured to control TRAX. One for selecting a track (0=percussion, 1V=track 1 etc..) and the other to select a loop JumpTo or turn off a track(0,>0V to 4V) . As these are bar quantized actions some great switches could be done to each sequence without touching the panel.

Any MIDI Channel (except 10) can be assigned to be output when that track is active. It can be the same, different, or off altogether.

All modifiers and transforms will work on these notes/CV's as usual

Taking a "normal" MIDI sequence into TRAX mode will separate out it's channels for mix and matching bar loops

TRAX mode won't affect normal sequence modes (1+1+1+1, 3+1, 2+2, ALL4, DRUMS) in any way.

The Loop on/off QB button will just display present marker/bar number for each track as "00 03 08 06" . Each Track QB, when scrolled over, will switch from piano roll display to present loop marker/bar and beat count

Layered MIDI Recording will still work but won't self destruct once a loop is changed as looping is always on so no need to.

*This is probably what a lot of people want (i do now!) in a MIDI sequencer but is all on the drawing board as of yet, so won't be seen in any videos for a little while. Hey it's an exciting addition I think :goo:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:50 am

o man/women, this thing is getting better with every iteration!
(and that for something that's not out yet since all manufacturers these days send HW out in BETA stages)

why use only CV inputs for control / why not MIDI in (too) ?

why no merge mode where you merge selected channels to track outputs (?)

what is the maximum sequence length (and thus length of the longest track) in this mode?

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 am

Wow, this thing looks badass! Nice one, Sandy!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 am

tiger001 wrote:o man/women, this thing is getting better with every iteration!
(and that for something that's not out yet since all manufacturers these days send HW out in BETA stages)
I'll have to call you a collaboration partner pretty soon!
why use only CV inputs for control / why not MIDI in (too) ?
There is a MIDI REMOTE quick box button. It gives control over transpose, pitch bend, and program change will select loops.(may change this to a CC) Play/Stop transport also works and if there's a MIDI clock from the source, and no Clock input patched, the Sequarallel will sync to it.

There are some new controls too, like the note transforms: mirror ;) scale proximity quantize, inversion, & probability, so may add those as NRPN CC's.

I thought about general control of certain functions via NRPN but may just keep them within the REMOTE set. With TRAX it might be handy to use controller NRPN's to turn on/off tracks, or even select other tracks. Just think, controller pads to select one of 16 tracks to a single gate/CV output!

If REMOTE is not turned on, then any MIDI received is merged to the output.
why no merge mode where you merge selected channels to track outputs (?)
There is a global merge (when REMOTE is not on) if I understand your question? Or do you mean channel merge?

Any MIDI in will control any track if it's on the same channel, but because of the non-poly of a CV output the notes will send a fast gate-off then gate-on for the new note being played in. Those notes input have priority over the CV output... If a keyboard note is held, for example, the notes in the sequence won't take over the CV until the note is released.
MIDI output (being poly) will still output everything on that channel.
(BTW a LAYER recording acts the same way when playing so it sounds the same way as played in)

Another thing, if a CC-CV output is assigned in a sequence, and the same CC comes in from MIDI input, the Sequence CC will be disabled (until sequence is stopped) so it doesn't conflict with the connected controller.
what is the maximum sequence length (and thus length of the longest track) in this mode?
Any length. The longest sequence I have done thus far was about 9 minutes (I recorded it in at 900BPM though because I'm impatient ha ha!)

I can't wait to get the TRAX mode running, but I have to wait for the production boards to come back (bigger processor, much more memory) because my poor little prototype module won't hold anymore data :doh:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Hey Sandy,

...If it's a possibility I would highly encourage you to go for the expander.
Here is another thing I just thought of while writing this post. It might be nice to turn all the jacks on the expander to CC or trigger mode. Imagine if you could do four synth voices plus three or four drum voices and everything would be peaches n cream.

I wouldn't expect too much in terms of writing MIDI to the SD card. A memory dump or a raw MIDI file seems great. I don't think there's much need for anything else, honestly! Others can chime in on ideas related to if that's enough SD card support to make them happy. I tend to be not picky about that sort of thing...

Finally, if you're looking for any final hardware-related suggestions, I was wondering if a Reset button between the Trigger out LED and SDS logo would be possible? A tiny button to instantly put you back at the start of the sequence/song waiting for a trigger to start playing could be super useful for when you want to be lazy and keep trying a part of a sequence out. I have a Eurorack sequencer with a button which does exactly this and I've found I use it constantly. If there's spare unused space, it may be a cool thing to throw in.

Thank you again for your consideration of the community's opinions on this and I look forward to seeing how this evolves :)
I thought I had posted a response to your suggestions, guess it never went through!
I have added the expansion interface to the Sequarallel so whichever way the SD card panel goes it'll plug in.
The design has changed a bit on the expansion. The 4 output jacks are CC5,6,7,8 with the 8th one as an optional trigger input that is configurable.
That's a good idea to make these optionally trigger outputs for percussion. It could be used along with DRUM mode or if in normal Channel-CV modes. I suppose each jack would need to be assigned a particular note for different drums. So Channel + CC# or Note#. Totally do-able.

Along with the trigger input of CC8, I did make space on the interface for a button below where the LED is, as per your suggestion. Even though the S and P button will do what you're suggesting, another button is always a good idea! +there is space for it :)
The Grump wrote:Wow, this thing looks badass! Nice one, Sandy!
Hey dude missed your post! Thanks we're pretty happy with it thus far!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Update:
I'm happy to report the Sequarallel works fine with the Beat-step Pro!
Why would I want to record in BSP sequences?
Mostly for transposing, but also for playing with percussion probabilities.
I'm also using the BSP for transposing after (with the pads) which is pretty cool if automation record is going. Then the whole thing goes on it's own so I can play with other modules.
The only bad thing was I had to insert the loop markers (some sequences were 16/32) manually in the Sequarallel, but there may be a way to do it with the BSP. It may send something in the MIDI when tracks are switched, not sure. If so that could insert markers.

Still waiting for PCB situation.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Update:
I have decided to hold off on the expansion until we have the manufactured version of the Sequarallel for testing. Too many variables and just discovered the intended SD Card carrier socket is no longer available so more delays!

The interface for the expansion is still present though so who knows? Maybe the expansion will be much better a few months from now!

Just thought I'd mention in case some of you are waiting for that part
Cheers!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 pm

tiger001 wrote:or you could name cc(1)/Vel - > Val ?

bar Q for jumps / loops is super interesting, always.

48 ppqn was the reso for EMU SP12/1200 hiphop flagship
96 ppqn for the original AKAI MPC 60

nowadays a decent MIDI seq can output 192 ppqn which adds a whole level of live/human feel (contrary to all those comp-temporary (16) step sequencers the stores are flooded with)

3 (??) MIDI cc to CV outputs ?

clock out could be trig out for EOS/EOL ? (end of sequence, end of loop)
I have included these clock output rates for a sequence, up to 96. Input division also does 96. 192 input can be dealt with by the clockDiv and a double-timed sequence (i.e. 1/4's are 8ths) it's all relative.
On the other hand I could include the 192 as a 3rd rate, it just won't be as easy to detect as 24-->96, so may need to be user-set as a default... like Auto/24PPQN/96PPQN/192PPQN

I have included the clock out option of EOL, thanks for the suggestion.

It's all still pretty easy to use, but then as I'm the designer of course it is. I did step away from the module for a few days and it was pretty intuitive/seamless firing it up again which is good

There are only 12 Quick-Box buttons (Except TRAX mode adds 4) total so is easily manageable. 11 of them can be pressed>1.5 secs to access options pertinent to that QB. This is a very simple way because nothing needs to be memorized.

That said, the manual is up to 21 pages (I have tried to be concise & to the point) which is a bit of a concern. There are quite a few graphics though using up space. I will post the beta pdf once completed.

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Just spotted this...

How well will this work used as a live midi recorder/looper? I'm thinking:

1. Hit Record
2. Play some ditty on the keyboard
3. Hit play-- unit starts looping the new track on one channel.

At which point, you can do a variety of additional record operations:

- Overdub some additional notes on to the existing track from the kbd
- Record to a new track, possibly a longer sequence (first track was a 2 measure drum loop for ex., second track a melody loop that lasts 4 measures, etc.)

It's been a little hard to tell how it might behave in this regard, given the number of features being thrown at you by everyone...
--

Sync

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

Sync wrote:Just spotted this...

How well will this work used as a live midi recorder/looper? I'm thinking:

1. Hit Record
2. Play some ditty on the keyboard
3. Hit play-- unit starts looping the new track on one channel.

At which point, you can do a variety of additional record operations:

- Overdub some additional notes on to the existing track from the kbd
- Record to a new track, possibly a longer sequence (first track was a 2 measure drum loop for ex., second track a melody loop that lasts 4 measures, etc.)

It's been a little hard to tell how it might behave in this regard, given the number of features being thrown at you by everyone...
Yes, I know these dev. days are crazy. Thanks for understanding

Good news is yes, in TRAX mode with Layer Record this can be done.
TRAX brings 4 channels to the Gate/CV rows as single notes of course, while MIDI out can send all channels as poly.

I'm not sure if you're thinking CV or MIDI in your example
"Overdubbing" on the same channel (track) is poly with MIDI but more a replacement of notes with CV

The reason I suggest TRAX mode is that it allows/assumes loops of different lengths

So your example would be
-Hit Re-start button to empty sequencer
-Select TRAX mode and arm Layer record (pop-up asks for how many bars)
-Play in a percussion loop on ch.10
-Hit Layer record again to select 4 bars
-Switch to KB to channel 5 (MIDI only if tacks for CV are 1-4)
-Play in a melody and chords etc
-Switch to channel 1
-Play single notes for modular CV--> VCO's
-Go back to channel 5 to overdub more notes etc

Sync
Common Wiggler

Post by Sync » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Sounds pretty good-- my interest is pretty much note sequences (CV + Gate), modulation not so much.

But I gather it could capture chord sequences from a keyboard to be sent on a separate MIDI channel to a polyphonic MIDI sound module? That really would be awesome, as I have been looking to mix the modular with MIDI sounds for such things. Or maybe even for the percussion track, as I have a MIDI percussion sound module...

The idea of it being capable of MIDI loop recording output to MIDI sound generators could be useful completely separate from the modular, just as a MIDI device. Package it in an 8HP Eurorack case, and you might be able to sell it to someone who doesn't already have Eurorack gear-- seems like it might do everything these stand along boxes can do:

http://www.future-artist.com/ -- sells for about $300

https://midisizer.com/midirex/ -- sells for about $200 (built) or less (DIY)

I was looking at those, but seeing where your project is going, I think I'll wait to see how it turns out...
--

Sync

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:17 am

Sync wrote:Sounds pretty good-- my interest is pretty much note sequences (CV + Gate), modulation not so much.
For that alone you can line up tracks with channels to build on easily
But I gather it could capture chord sequences from a keyboard to be sent on a separate MIDI channel to a polyphonic MIDI sound module? That really would be awesome, as I have been looking to mix the modular with MIDI sounds for such things. Or maybe even for the percussion track, as I have a MIDI percussion sound module...
Yes, that's how I use it, partly modular partly MIDI, almost always with a percussion track. With trax it's nice with percussion because little bits can be added as you go. Also probability and swing make it interesting
The idea of it being capable of MIDI loop recording output to MIDI sound generators could be useful completely separate from the modular, just as a MIDI device. Package it in an 8HP Eurorack case, and you might be able to sell it to someone who doesn't already have Eurorack gear-- seems like it might do everything these stand along boxes can do:

http://www.future-artist.com/ -- sells for about $300

https://midisizer.com/midirex/ -- sells for about $200 (built) or less (DIY)
Thanks, I had a look at those. The first one would greatly benefit from a small display. The midisizer looks more interesting but why the limited 64K memory? The Sequarallel has 16,777K and I'm still wondering if it's enough!

As for a stand-alone, it would be very different. Bigger, less CV oriented (like the BSP perhaps) and would of course have a built-in sample player like the VLT2 Pedal-7 I designed last year that this sequencer is based on ;)

All the final SW dev. is going to be happening over the next 3-4 weeks so I'll be looking for more ways to refine and improve interaction methods.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am

Hey no worries sandy. No worries on the SD expansion. I think holding off on extras is good and a cool decision. This module has experienced a wild amount of development and has turned into a master brain beast I don’t think anyone anticipated. I would be really happy to get a glance at the beta manual because I think there is a ton to digest here and I don’t mean that in a bad way at all. What I think we all thought was going to be a simple 4 track sequencer has evolved into essentially an MPC (without the pads) in a tiny form factor and it’s insane to see this take life. I think I can speak for all of us when I say I’m itching to get my hands on this and make the dream of proper MIDI sequencing in Eurorack a reality :woah:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am

Update:
I am revising the User guide once again as it was getting too big, too many descriptions.
Also, because the sequences can be modified so much now, there's going to be a "Save New" button added to the last quick-box. This will make a new sequence with all of the modifications, layers, and present mode settings.
So now that QB has:
Save Default - save for power-up
Save Edit - save modified sequence
Save New - make a new sequence
Delete - erases present sequence from memory permanently
Restart - to start fresh with no sequence

The QB above it still loads & shows sequence# as in videos and if enc held on it can edit names of sequences.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 pm

Friday night jamming and I just did another patch with the Sequarallel controlling the Melisma module and it's so interesting because along with MIDI outputs to 2 different synths + VCO's the Melisma's chords (7 of them in this list) are being selected by an LFO while row 1 on the Sequarallel is setting the Roots for the chords.

The sequence was recorded from the BSP last week as I switched sequences in it to test the Sequarallel with it's MIDI output. 2 channels + percussion with some roller FX I believe.

The Melisma is on a slow random Hold gate to switch from chords to arps, and it's LHAND (melody) input is on a hand tapped RIT_M gate so becomes bass notes with the selected chords.

A short 16 bar automation on the Sequarallel is transposing 3 or 4 times along with the sequence to give it variety.

MIDI from the Sequarallel & Melisma is being merged on channels 1 & 2, then split out inclusively to both synths

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2019/Seq-Mel-Merge.mp3

This recording is just playing untouched by me. Thought I'd share it. Quite entertaining! Quite noisy! Quite amazed!
The cool thing is I could re-patch this and replicate it more or less but maybe with different transpositions.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”