The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
8%
Play Sequences to VCO's
19%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
19%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
8%
All of the above
41%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 37

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 am

Hi all,

I have been messing with the Select-Bus protocol in the Sequarallel and have come up with this so far:
Sequarallel as SLAVE:
Responds to RECALL message banks 1-8 as selected sequences defined in select bus list. (global)
Each bank has 8 settings so these will select Loop Markers 1-8. This makes a possibility of 8*8=64 different loops under SB control.
SB CC18 (Mutate) will control Note probability setting
SB CC17 (Morph) spec. is kinda sketchy so any ideas?

Sequarallel as MASTER:
Preset sends (CC16=64 +PC0-63) can be configured inside any sequence, per loop marker, to change select bus bank and parameter when loop is entered by normal play or a JumpTo marker.
Initial states can be sent on sequence load, so if using a CV to load sequences, the next JumpTo or Loop will play from the marker (1-8) in the newly loaded sequence and it's select bus settings (if any) will be sent.

This all seems quite useful but I have yet to acquire any Select Bus modules so everything is being tested by hardware emulation based on the standards presented at document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhP ... P-qw/edit#

If there's anyone that is interested in the Sequarallel + this feature that has Select Bus (thus some experience) I would love some input

The hardware is already in place so, if by the release date, there's no final decision, it will have to be in the form of a firmware update (which we all don't much like!)

Cheers! Sandy

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 am

Not a lot of modules with select bus, but i could arrange letting you borrow a disting mk4 if there are no friendly canadians willing to let you test select bus with one.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:34 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Not a lot of modules with select bus, but i could arrange letting you borrow a disting mk4 if there are no friendly canadians willing to let you test select bus with one.
Woot! Thanks for the offer, are you here in Canada?

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:47 pm

Sandrine wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:Not a lot of modules with select bus, but i could arrange letting you borrow a disting mk4 if there are no friendly canadians willing to let you test select bus with one.
Woot! Thanks for the offer, are you here in Canada?
im in the northeast usa, so its not too terrible shipping in terms of cost or time back and forth, but if it doesnt need to go through customs its better for both of us :)

that said, it wouldn't be more than $15 for me to send it. i''ll send you a pm

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 am

That's great, thank you! We'll discuss pay forward in PM's ;)

If I like it, I'll probably get one but for now this will be great. I seems things are really patchy. The Rene has SysEx information, but the Macro Machines Storage strip has none.
I imagine the Disting just sends it's mode changes and parameters continuously, and the Storage strip makes note then when a Save is done, it uses the last received data. SO I wonder if all other data on the bus is also saved, or just "known" ID's. It's all such a mystery and I hope this reveals some of it.
I would like the Sequarallel (as master) to be able to duplicate what the MM Module does.
As a slave it would be a slave to the storage strip. Because that data it understood by the Disting then testing with hypothetical messages would be the way to go.

That ES Breakout kit is somewhat of a mystery too because if you don't know what to send then how would one begin to control it with a DAW?

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:41 pm

That may be a question for Mr. expert sleeper himself :mrgreen:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:46 am

Indeed. I'm slowly getting more info on Select Bus, I feel like a Padawan Learner

So update:
I have been implementing the "MIRROR" function (not sure if it will have that name) that mirrors the notes above or below a certain note set.
The results are more musical than I thought but there should be a couple of options like mirror top/bottom/both.
I also have a divider that mirrors a certain amount of notes while not others.
Every beat, second beat, third beat toggle etc, which adds some great changes to a sequence. There also needs to be a channel parameter so the real trick is getting this all into one QB button! Working on it

Another modifier is "CHOP" (again probably not the final name) which when <1 cuts in half, quarters etc. quantized to the beat. So if there were a series of 1/4 notes, at .5 these would be doubled into 1/8 notes creating new notes on the grid. Going the other way , longer notes will be chopped i.e. 3 would chop every 2nd quarter note.
I may take this one step further into finer steps instead of 2 to 3, which is 2/4 and 3/4, have 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 or even finer.

These would of course be applied to a channel before CV output

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 pm

hell yeah sandy!

these manipulations are top notch!

maybe the divider (function) can be applied to other manipulations (mirror etc) as well?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:43 am

tiger001 wrote:hell yeah sandy!

these manipulations are top notch!

maybe the divider (function) can be applied to other manipulations (mirror etc) as well?
Thanks!

Yes that's the plan. i.e. chop then mirror/probability/transpose/automation would be one flow order

-edit-
I guess chop could be seen as ratcheting (duh!), and if under control from a CV could be gated ratcheting (on next beat)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 am

Sandrine wrote:
-edit-
I guess chop could be seen as ratcheting (duh!), and if under control from a CV could be gated ratcheting (on next beat)
again a welcome addition

could it be under MIDI (-> CV ?) control too?
we're entering REFLEX territory here

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:48 am

tiger001 wrote:
Sandrine wrote:
-edit-
again a welcome addition

could it be under MIDI (-> CV ?) control too?
we're entering REFLEX territory here
Yes. It would be more an on/off gate. I tested CV switching of divisions but it is more beneficial/useful to just make the setting and then turn it on/off at will. The test I did turned it on every 2nd quarter note time and it sounded really great!
1/12 was particularly interesting (quarters/3) as was 3/16 especially with Swing applied

This is an absolute ratchet aligned to beats which is again more useful.
I also tried various chop patterns but the jury's still out on that (not super great!)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:36 am

Addition Updates:

Sequence Clock Gate

An input (or MIDI CC) assigned to this function will stop the clocked flow of the Sequence without causing a tempo mis-match as just stopping & restarting the clock would.
The Clock gate addition is real time 1/24 or 1/96 so offers a lot of possibilities to playing a sequence:
Converting a 4/4 time into a 6/8 time by gating each beat with 1/2 duration (if was clockDiv:/2 this would just be direct clock to the gate) which will add 1/8 to each 1/4 = 3/4 = 6/8

Freeze Gate

Freeze holds the present sequence without losing recovery position in the sequence and will cause notes on to be held, but will resume the sequence where it would be once released.
Freeze will allow slews (portamento/gliss) to get to the targets note.
Where could this be useful?
Imagine a cycling arp of eighth notes that is progressing through root keys. Every second note can be frozen giving a simpler representation of the more complex arp, or every 3rd to get a cycle of each note in each arp.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Possible Addition Updates:

Stretch:
When active, stretch controls the length of all notes on specified Channel FX in the sequence. This can be CV or MIDI CC controlled, or changed by an automation. Notes can be from 10mS to 2.5 seconds long.

Here's a sample that plays 2 bars of single notes stretched, then stretch CV (from another sequencer) is applied
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2019/FXstretchM.mp3

Echo:
This cool FX echo's notes on selected Channel FX from 1 to 4 echos. The delay is quantized to the tempo as 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1 measure and can be changed via CV or MIDI CC.
Two other parameters that can be changed is echo pitch (+/-12 semitones) that is accumulative, and velocity (feed +/- 50%) which is also accumulative.
Pitch steps by semitones so set at +6 would play as C2, F#2, C3, F#3 etc. while velocity at -50% would play 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% etc.

Echo creates notes that will also be processed by other FX such as Transpose, Chop (ratchet), Mirror so results can be really interesting.

Here's an example of how Echo will be with the same synth & a slower single note sequence with various settings applied.
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2019/FXechoM.mp3

Here's Echo with chord Sequence, maybe a bit too much
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2019/FXechoChordsM.mp3

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 am

coming back to the MIDI (note) manipulation(s)
i really really liked this one on the old VOYETRA gold soft sequencer:

I'd like this concept : a simple screen where you can select a range (start and end) and be able to re-size/re-position (i.e. scale) all events within the original range to within the new range.

we have talked about mirror, this (above) is scale - again as a percentage

scale of course could be a reference to a musical scale (apply scale X to selection) but also to just a linear/logical/logaritmic scale (apply -position & length- stretch/shrink% to selection)

not only to notes but also everything else (MIDI cc info, pitchbend etc)

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:02 am

I just finished reading through the thread, for the first time, and frankly - I'm blown away.

Are you able to estimate when this will be ready to ship, at this juncture (+/- a few months)?

btw, definitely interested in Select Bus functionality.

Thanks.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:38 am

tiger001 wrote:coming back to the MIDI (note) manipulation(s)
i really really liked this one on the old VOYETRA gold soft sequencer:

I'd like this concept : a simple screen where you can select a range (start and end) and be able to re-size/re-position (i.e. scale) all events within the original range to within the new range.

we have talked about mirror, this (above) is scale - again as a percentage

scale of course could be a reference to a musical scale (apply scale X to selection) but also to just a linear/logical/logaritmic scale (apply -position & length- stretch/shrink% to selection)

not only to notes but also everything else (MIDI cc info, pitchbend etc)
I have thought of this too. It does open a can of worms so haven't even tried it beyond a light piano roll. This would be ok for a couple of bars of notes or curves. The bigger challenge with that is to avoid getting too menu-divey. The new displays are much faster (20x) so totally capable of it.
I'll keep it in mind idea guy! :tu:
BlinkyLights wrote:I just finished reading through the thread, for the first time, and frankly - I'm blown away.

Are you able to estimate when this will be ready to ship, at this juncture (+/- a few months)?

btw, definitely interested in Select Bus functionality.
Thanks.
Thanks, it's going to be a great little module we think! I'm projecting about a month or so. There were a few minor delays so we're only slightly behind. It might depend on how many more features Tiger throws my way lol.

Yes the Select Bus addition was a good one. As a master, sequeneces will be able to choose a preset for the bus, even by the loop marker which will be cool.
As a slave, presets could set next jumpTo marker, and load entire sequeneces on the next measure..similar to the way the jumpTo CV works.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Updates:

We were behind schedule with the Sequarallel PCB's but now back on schedule again!

Proposed feature:
SCALE button (QB) is already incorporated as a function in the Sequarallel but I'm thinking on expanding it drastically to include a bit of SCALA created data ( http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/examples.html )
to program the Scales list in the Sequarallel with a SysEx comprised of SCALA data or our own format.
The SCALA option would be the Keyboard Mappings function which, in a word, is really a quantization but with explicit note mappings.
(The disting uses SCALA created files via it's SD Card in this way)

Scales sent either way via MIDI SysEx will be loaded to the selection of Scales that can be applied to a running sequence. These can be manually selected, automation selected, Remote MIDI selected, or CV selected.

Here's an example of the SCALA format and how it will be interpreted:

In this example input notes fall to lower note in scale:
  • !"1:Major-min"
    (This is the name that will appear when select in quick-box, and "1:" is location of scale in the list)
    24 !Size of Map
    0 !Start Note
    127 !end note
    60 !ignored by sequar
    60 !ignored
    261.62 !ignored (only PW could do this)
    10 !ignored
    ! mapping
    0 !C
    0 !D
    4 !E
    7 !G
    12 !C
    15 !Eb
    19 !G
    24 !C
*ignores are not permanent! the "!" is a comment, not read as data except the name by Sequarallel

This method allows selective quantizing (not just notes below/above or nearest)

Our Method which will also be recognized uses notes from C so it's more musically readable as a file. Here's 4 scales in a SysEx:
  • "1:Major-min"
    C
    E
    G
    C
    Eb
    G

"8:Quartal1"
    C
    E
    Ab

"4:min7"
    C
    Eb
    G
    Bb

"7:Whites"
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    A
    B
If the names have no number they will be loaded to the next SCALE slot, they should all have numbers or all not ;)

============
Then there's our "Special Scales" which is where it gets interesting:

Random notes can be added to scales as shown below
Random notes can have octave offset. Up to 4 random notes can be added to each note in scale.
  • "1:Major-Rnd"
    C
    E
    G
    C
    E:RND:E,F,Eb1,D-1
    G
*If note in second octave (oct.1,3,5,7 etc) is E,F,F# then a random note chosen from specified notes E, F, Eb1, D will be played.
Eb1 if chosen will play in next octave above
D-1 if chosen will play 1 octave lower

Conditional Notes can be added to scales as shown:
  • "2:MajorCdx"
    C
    E:CDX:0<=E<2,2<=Eb<4,4<=E4<5
    G
    C
    Eb
    G
*This would quantize E, F, F# always, but if input=E to F# (octaves 0,2,4,6..) will use conditional as:
If note is E,F,F# in octave 0 then E in that octave (Oct. 1 would be in upper - Eb)
If note is E,F,F# in octave 2 then Eb in that octave
If note is E,F,F# in octave 4 then E4 +4 octaves (E8) will play (a number following note is added or subtracted)

Random and conditional notes can be in the same quant scale, but can't be used on the same note

The "C" note root is affected by Transposing, which happens after scales (of course)

===========

If a program like MIDI-Ox is used to send the SysEx, then global scales will be overwritten by the new scales.

If the SysEx is included while recording a sequence from DAW (Logic can include SysEx in a sequence) the scales will be applied as part of that sequence. This means there could be a complete set of scales for each Loop Marker.

These methods are far better than a few fixed SCALE quantizations, so are probably going in. Jury's still out with on-screen note editing but after some experimentation, the CC/PW viewer/editor is looking good!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:39 am

the Percussa SSP has a quantizer module in it that reads SCALA scales
just save the scales (scala file) you want/need in the folder on the SD card, load up the module and choose the scale - it is very straightforward

to convert the scala file to sysex would require a few extra steps / manipulation(s) but being able to change the scale while playing and/or loading/recording by (just) sending a sysex file is a bonus

i'm curious about the CC/CV viewer/editor - did you uploaded a pic of that already?
Last edited by wavejockey on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am

tiger001 wrote:the Percussa SSP has a quantizer module in it that reads SCALA scales
just save the scales (scala file) you want/need in the folder on the SD card, load up the module and choose the scale - it is very straightforward

to convert the scala file to sysex would require a few extra steps / manipulation(s) but being able to change the scale while playing and/or loading/recording by (just) sending a sysex file is a bonus

i'm curious about the CC/PW viewer/editor - did you uploaded a pic of that already?
Yes so does the Disting, which is where I came up with the idea. There's already a SysEx interpreter so may as well add scale loading. If it's in the sequence recorded, each sequence can have it's own scales for the scale quantizer, rather than a huge list of scales that are not pertinent to the sequence...
Scala produces basically a text file so it's a copy & paste into MIDI-Ox or Logic (or other DAW softs, haven't checked yet)

With our custom scales SysEx there's an ID "}SQ" that must be placed at the top to avoid other SysEx's from being misinterpreted as the Sequarallel can record and pass through a SysEx (possibly for the synth that it is sending MIDI to) which can be useful.

The CC/CV display is still in it's infancy (albeit cool looking already) so no pics yet. It was just displaying not editing yet so...

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am

Update:

This "Feature" already existed basically but has been fine tuned to be much more useful..

Added Pitch Bend Range control to both the Sequarallel and the Accord Melisma module. This is a difficult (perhaps impossible) feature to include in a DAW sequence because it involves sending 4 consecutive control messages.
In the Melisma, the range options are +/-2 semitones (default with most synths), 5, and 12 semitones. The Sequarallel will have +/-1 to +/-12 semitones.
The bend CV (CC in on Melisma, CC5 or CC6 on the Sequarallel) at +/-12 range will operate at 1V/Octave input from 0V to +/- 1 V. This allows for microtonal modulations as well as pre-quantized quantized inputs for "tonal mini-sequences" that have to be heard to be believed!
At the +/-5 setting, the CV input is regarded as 1V/semitone thus +/- 5 notes.
Other settings will divide the +/- range into +/- 0-5V range (i.e. +/- 10 semi's equates to 2 semi's/volt)

The setting in the Sequarallel, if different, can be made post-record and saved with the sequence, or just automatically applied pre-record globally, which will be sent for each active channel when a sequence is recorded or loaded.

Some examples of ways this bend range feature can be used in the Sequarallel:

Set to +/- 12 semi's, a simple 0-5V gate or clock pulse will warble playing notes up one octave.

Set to +/- 5 semi's, the same gate or clock pulses will warble a third, inverted a fifth

A RIT_M or other fast sequencer's CV output, on +/- 12 range can play mini-scales inside each note, regardless of the cadence of the notes, adding a completely different feel to the sequence.

- To reduce MIDI bus loading, only channels active will have this applied at any given time

- Sequenced Pitch Bends on any channel will mute the CV input on that channel while in operation, returning CV control afterward.

- The controlling CV (On CC5 or CC6) input's assigned channel selects the channel to Bend just as with any CC control assignment. This means both CV inputs could be used to control 2 different channels.

- Percussion Channel (Ch 10) can be bent if your synth supports it. This really adds to a GM percussion set.

- If the "draw control curves" idea is incorporated, Pitch Bend will be one of them.

- In MPE mode, the entire zone (4) will have Pitch Bend applied if CV input set to the Zone Master channel. Individual channels (Z+1 to 4) can be assigned too, so certain note(s) in chords will bend while others not. True MPE styling!

- This method solves the Pitch Bend difference issue between MIDI instruments and the CV outputs for said channels, making them analogous.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 am

wow, nice b(l)end of CV + MIDI functionality !!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:21 am

Update
All work on the Sequarallel module has stopped for holiday season and will resume in the new year

The SDS Digital & K Melisma module (almost ready for release) also has pitch bend range. Indeed the CV input can be set to 1V/Oct bend (recursive every volt) when the range is set to +/-12 range. This opens up the capability to, via an external sequencer, arpeggiate single notes as semitones with/without slew and at any rate as they play.
This option is amazing with the Melisma so should be equally cool with the Sequarallel

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Sandrine » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm

After a long hiatus away from the Sequarallel module, while finishing up the Melisma, I have been able to look at the current setup from an outside perspective
As a result, there's going to be a few changes which I'll post as they are tested in the near future. I believe these changes will make the Sequarallel a killer little 8HP and very appealing to anyone that loves MIDI + Modular.

I have run the MIDI output from the Accord Melisma through the Sequarallel and it makes a great MIDI2CV for that module too!
Cheers all, and thanks for your patience.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am

great news sandrine, keep us posted (and curious)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm

Updates!
I have been re-building the Sequarallel sequencer from the ground up as a sort of V.2.0
QB's:
Quick Box control buttons can be changed to be in any order or ones not needed removed

Layers:
Layer QB's are added as needed i.e. Add a new Layer LAYER:ADD-->LAYER 1, LAYER:ADD-->LAYER 1,LAYER 2, LAYER:ADD Layers (up to 4 individual) have record merge setting. This means one layer can be recorded and built up instead of creating new Layers. The last merged record can be removed
Layers can be assigned to a Song Loop or globally, affixed or free-running at set size (in bars), and each can be muted/solo'd
A single Layer QB can be left in record mode so new MIDI notes can be added to it at any time (merge on)
Layers that were recorded within a song loop and merged at least once will become transparent if the song is not looping at that marker, thus will only be played while looping ..which is more musically useful I believe.

TRAX:
TRAX is now a step sequencer that runs along with song. Up to 5 TRAX seq's can be created each with 1 to 64 steps, so basically 5 step sequencers
TRAX targets can be a Gate/CV row, MIDI channel, or entire selected CV Mode (as described by CV:1+1+1+1,3+1,2+2,ALL4,Drums) including it's MIDI channels. So, for example, 1 TRAX sequencer could be assigned to Gate/CV row 4, while another to a MIDI channel like percussion, then another to CV:3+1, the top 3 rows+midi channel
Each TRAX sequencer can play up to 4 notes per step. This means chords can be played to the 4 Gate/CV rows, and/or just MIDI channel(s)
Each TRAX seq has settings QB (drop-down) like swing, shift, chop, limit, clock div/mult, scale and editor window with copy/paste, expand etc

Gate/CV Rows:
Each Mode (1+1+1+1,3+1,2+2,ALL4,Drums) has 2 priority levels to select SONG, TRAX, MIDI IN priority to the gate+CV(+velocity) jacks. This is to prevent conflicts when gate is on and is non-latching. SO if a SONG note is playing and a TRAX note want's to play, priority 1 set to TRAX would interrupt the SONG note to play the TRAX note.
Another example would be giving priority to MIDI IN so notes played on a keyboard would override notes from internal sources such as song or trax/layers etc. and gain access to the VCO's while the played notes are on.

Remote MIDI control:
Tons of controls can be changed by configuring to a MIDI controller's CC's. TRAX & Layers mute/solos, Transforms, even Layer recording. This mappings can be copied from other "Songs" but are unique to each song.
Pitch Bend on remote channel if enabled is global to shift everything.
Notes played on Remote channel can transpose globally as does the Transpose QB

Well that's probably enough for now ;)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”