The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Would you use this module to:

Play Sequences to MIDI synths
9%
Play Sequences to VCO's
20%
With a High Clock Division to CV offset other sequencers
No votes
Live Record from MIDI keyboard/controller
18%
Use MIDI CC's to make clocked LFO patterns
7%
All of the above
39%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 44

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The Sequarallel MIDI2CV Recorder+Sequencer

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:12 am

Sandrine wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm
QB's:
Quick Box control buttons can be changed to be in any order or ones not needed removed

Oh wow, you did that? That's very impressive.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:21 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:12 am
Sandrine wrote:
QB's:
Quick Box control buttons can be changed to be in any order or ones not needed removed

Oh wow, you did that? That's very impressive.
Thanks! Had to make them dynamic, the LAYER and TRAX QB's are expandable up to 7 more

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:33 pm

impressive indeed, good job

if you say step sequencer, i say step record:
will it be possible to input notes into trax in a stepped way ?
e.g. press record, play a note on a KeyBoard, step +1, repeat
-preferably when all (well the rest of the song/trax) things are running

copy part of a song or MIDI channel (so max 64 steps) into (a) TRAX ?
chain TRAX ? e.g. start TRAX 2 when TRAX 1 has finished (?)

can i say that with this 1-64 steps TRAX, you are "giving up" on the BAR 'restrictions' that define the rest of sequencer? (loop/points etc)

remote MIDI control: maybe have a global setting(s) ? or a song 0 for these? (as a default)
Sandrine wrote:

Layers that were recorded within a song loop and merged at least once will become transparent if the song is not looping at that marker, thus will only be played while looping ..which is more musically useful I believe.
are you sure about that? what if i loop a small section to perform/record another layer that will be longer than that (initial) loop ?
-this is common practice i think when making extensions or longer/evolving pads/melodies (over a bass e.g.), or even try out the 'best' sounding melody etc that fits a given range (and then afterwards i could try looping both, but the (bass) part 1 would remain, and the second layer i would change from BAR1-2, BAR3-4, etc etc (to find the best fitting part)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks!

What I meant was if a Song Loop (MIDI recorded song) is being used to build Layers on to, especially if the Layer size is set to larger than the Song Loop, or APPENDed, or MERGEd, while it might work well with the present song progression in that loop, when the song is just playing out (no looping) the next region could be entirely different key so the recorded layer would clash if it kept playing.
Rather than truncating the Layer, it just won't play at all unless LOOP is turned on.
The beauty of this is that the same Layer QB can be used globally and record into the Song as a whole, but then individual song loops would bring back the Layer recorded for that Loop instead.
If exiting a loop it will of course need to be truncated. This *could* be an option too... "PLAY OUT?YES"

Without a Song (fresh start) the first Layer or TRAX size will automatically set the 8 Loop region's sizes (this can be changed in LOOP list) so laying down a bass sequence layer, then turning on APPEND in another Layer will expand the Loop sizes again because we're still inside the first Loop, and the bass sequence will be doubled.
Turning on "ARM NEXT" in a new Layer# will jump into the next Loop when the first note is recorded, but will allow the previous to play out.

Alternately, using the *NEW SONG QB button will create 8 loop points at the set bars/loop which can then be edited in the LOOP QB list.

TRAX:
Firstly, without quoting the whole user manual here, TRAX is a free-running set of sequencers, up to 5, that can be individually triggered by markers in a Song (so plays in some loop regions while not in others, like a playlist), or continuous with the MUTE button as the only way to remove it from play. (which can be controlled by a song affixed automation or CV or MIDI remote if you like)
These can be created (or copied from TRAX created elsewhere) and run alone without a Song but will still create a set of 8 markers based on the largest TRAX size until a new marker is used (JumpTo) at which point the markers must be directly edited if different sizes are needed.

TRAX Record?
I have thought about recording into a TRAX sequencer. It might be similar to the way BeatStep pro works when in record mode, except there will be up to 4 notes per step (if a chord is played). The only drawback of this is timing/quantization to the step. The TRAX sequencers have per-note delay and length offsets in the editor, so there may need to be an option to quantize to steps or do real-time delays to meet the actual play times. If set to "real time" then the TRAX Swing parameter would need to be defeated.
In some ways, real time is appealing, and like I said the sequencer has a individual note delay parameter (primarily for strumming chords in some steps) but also adds the "human" factor, which tends to be a negative, unless you're a very good keyboardist. Anyway, another option to add.

MIDI REMOTE:
There are quite a few settings (of course!) so there is a "COPY FROM" setting. This is a Song# but also has "LAST" which loads from the last created settings (which is saved from time to time in case the Song wasn't saved!)
BTW jury's still out on Scale quant from remote keyboard, haven't tried it yet, single note would reset scale and transpose
to that note...

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 am

Mega Update:

I decided to poke out of my self-induced rabbit hole for a quick look around ;)
A number of major changes to the Sequarallel have been implemented that greatly improves the way sequences can be controlled and opens up a whole new level of arrangement similar to a DAW sequencer.
Play List arranger-
This window is the classic "main sequence" time line to manipulate part's positions in relation to the song. It's horizontal (just like most DAW sequencers) 1 to 999 bars, and vertical over 15 tracks. These tracks are for:

Song Markers: the recorded song (or empty framework) can have 8 loop markers with each moved/copy/pasted in any order in the playlist. If there has been no song recorded then user can create a framework of varying sized loops from markers 1 to 8 which remain dynamic until recorded Layers are attached to them.

TRAX 1-5: 5 tracks. When a new TRAX sequence is added it appears in the playlist sequentially over entire song but can be deleted from parts of the playlist. Each TRAX block on the playlist can have it's own FX (chop, echo, FX mask, mirror, limit, scale quant, transpose etc) so the same sequence can be changed with each occurrence in the playlist time line

Layers 1-4: 4 tracks for merge-able Layer recording. Layers can be Global (song-wide) and/or inside of loops, so up to 8 layers per song per track (32 total + global)

Envelope 1-4: 4 tracks for AHDSR or drawn envelopes for CV & MIDI CC/PW triggered by position in the playlist or mask enable for TRAX notes envelopes adjusted to step size/note length (see below)

Automations track: Programmable automation (1-64 bars) triggered in timeline to control most settings (i.e transpose, channel/CV assignment, PC instrument, recording, jumps, looping, FX, main clock div, trax clocks, shift etc)

Layer Recording modes have been changed. As before a Layer can be merged with itself with 1 "undo" level.
There's 3 options for MIDI recording a Layer within a song loop region:

1-Append.
This one can add to the length of a song i.e. if the song loop size is 6 bars, then the layer size can be set to 3, 6,12,18 etc, or if set to auto-append then will increase by 2x or +1 if MIDI input continues, or overlay if input is paused for a loop. The song loop & other tracks are duplicated & Playlist size is increased to match the new layer size and keep the flow visual.

2-Overlay.
Layer size is locked to the song loop size and will also play when not looping (with 1 beat lead-in, lead-out if recording started early)

3-Exclusive.
Layers recorded during a loop will only play when looping. This is great for adding a global (over entire song) layer afterwards as looping in a region will switch over to the layer(s) built up in that loop.

Layers snap to song marker loop regions so each Layer quick-box (1-4) can have up to 9 loops associated with it.
With Layer Merge turned on, the same layer/loop can be built on at any time, with 1 undo level.
With Layer merge turned off, a new Layer quick-box will be produced on each loop, with Merge also turned off by default.
This has the advantage of being able to selectively solo/mute individual layers but can't be built up beyond 4 layers without turning on Merge in one of the Layers.

---

TRAX Record!
I have added TRAX record. (from MIDI so far) Incoming notes & chords are placed into steps in the selected sequencer with default or original velocity, delay & length to the nearest step as notes are played. Subsequent notes/chords will overwrite previous steps.
Step lengths, delays, and velocities are preserved so the sequence can have the same cadence with different notes.
TRAX will play out to selected MIDI channels and CV outputs.
As of now, as mentioned, new notes/chords will replace old ones but I'm thinking about a method of cycling notes added, or if >1 note (a chord) full replacement but not sure how well this will work. For reset/clear there is a MIDI CC but I'm thinking of a user defined Note that will clear present steps, or, if held will clear entire sequence (for as long as it's held?)
One thing about recording to a sequence is it's great to mutate into new chords and notes plus it's bloody well addictive!

TRAX Editing:
TRAX have their own step sequencer editing window with vertical notes (horizontal scrolling, shows 8 steps) and little keyboard to scroll vertically up/down. Each step's notes (up to 4 notes for chords) can be edited for delay (up to full step), length (up to 2 steps) and velocity (MIDI or jack if assigned to velocity).
(Key) shifts can be applied from a certain point onward, so notes/chords can be shifted up/down as the sequence progresses.
(Copy) will copy one step to a different step. This is useful for chords.
(X2) will copy the entire sequence doubling the size.
The manipulation and targeting is pretty simple. Upon entering the TRAX editor, an over head bar will pop-up with a scrollable horizontal series of "Action" boxes to select from. After selecting one, say [Add] the pop-up closes and you scroll horizontally to the desired step, click and select the note you want to add (matches vertical keyboard shown with octave on the right side) and click to add it. The pop-up will re-appear.
Quickly adding same notes is done by simply click-select step-click click. Adding different notes to the same step would be click-click-select note-click. It gets easy after a few times which is good.

TRAX FX:
Each of the 5 TRAX sequencers has it's own FX module. These FX include:
Chop (ratchet) : Up to 8 per step with linear or -15 to +15 exponential curve for timing ('tis cool!) - or -
Echo: up to 3 "free" steps per step but with velocity reduction (feed) at fine timing (0:00 to 4:00 steps, 24 divisions / step)
Scale: Maj,min,Maj7,min7, + 4 user created scales
Step Mapped Mask: up to 16 boxes can be turned on/off to apply FX to certain steps. This steps at the sequencer rate but can be varied in size from 2-16 steps, thus FX can be applied to some steps while not others in an offset pattern.
*If a TRAX track is back to back in the Playlist, the Mapped mask won't be reset, allowed to continue it's cycle.

TRAX PlayList FX:
Each "box" on TRAX tracks in the playlist can have a whole bunch of FX applied in addition to the TRAX editor FX.
This means each TRAX sequence loop can be transposed, re-scaled, length offsetted, vary the echo/chop/scale mask progression size/reset, Sequencer start/end points from 2 steps to full size, mirrored notes, limited notes, forward/reverse/ping-pong... So a sequence can sound totally different at each position in playlist.
Furthermore, 2 or 4 different sequences in a single TRAX can be selected using the Start/End setting to offset to them.

Envelopes!
Up to 4 different graphic envelopes can be created for use with the Playlist or individual notes. These can be linked to MIDI CC/Pitch/AT and CV outputs (i.e. VEL jacks) in any combination.
There are two methods to make an envelope:
AHDSR: 6 Pole envelope (best for notes) with +/- exponential curves on Attack, decay, and release. Variable sustain shelf.
Draw: Bipolar or unipolar hand drawn curve in real time (induced loop) or CV input recording for MIDI and CV output. This is best for Playlist triggered events.
Either type of envelope can be used in the Playlist and the rate can be set per event, so it's great for a filter or fade-ins/outs (forward/reverse/pingpongx2 can be set per event in playlist!)

CV/MIDI Controlled Transpose:
I know this is an old feature but because now elements of the Sequarallel can opt in/out of transpose (Song, TRAX, MIDI in, MIDI LINK in) some fun stuff can happen! If MIDI in is transposed, then, as the sequences/ song plays, one only needs to play in chords from C to keep on track, but breaking away into 5ths can feel pretty cool. Multing from jacks Row 1 while assigned to stack chords notes (will always produce the root) to CC5 or CC6 set to transpose with Song/Layer transpose turned off will automatically transpose mono sequences in TRAX + the MIDI input. MIDI2CV must be turned off though or a gain loop will happen and notes will all double lol.
I have done this while recording a TRAX sequence from a keyboard, wow! You just have to remember what key you're in ha ha!

So that's it for now! I can't wait to start with the videos. I want the Sequar to be more or less complete for that though. It's coming!

I have been playing around with this new format for the Sequarallel and, for lack of a better term, it's amazing!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 am

massive is the word sandrine

TRAX: : erase key (be that predefined note or MIDI cc or button on the sequarellel) + note in question to erase looks most suitable to me
TRAX editing : why only + 2 steps for LENGTH ? (why not longer?)
when ACTION editing, is key(board) input still possible?
if the pop-up reappears this is good for fast workflow because i hate it if i have to repeat & repeat the same action over&over to do multiple edits
TRAX PLAYLIST FX : now with all manipulations going on, how's the timing holding up?
ENVELOPES : do these refer to the PLAYLIST FX or the PLAY LIST ARRANGER or as 'standalone' ?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:38 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 am
massive is the word sandrine
The playlist changed everything, to the better I hope. SO far so good ;)
TRAX: : erase key (be that predefined note or MIDI cc or button on the sequarellel) + note in question to erase looks most suitable to me
Yes the more I use the record feature, the more I feel this is needed. A simple note select (and learn while selected) should suffice. The QB button exists in each TRAX "drop down" and the CC is assigned in the Remote QB list.
Mostly because of potential for ring buffer overloading. i.e. 5 TRAX each play a 4 note chord for 1 step at the same time, that's 20 notes on, 20 notes off, making 40 notes held for 2 steps. Another step with the same makes 80 etc. Then add ratcheting. They can add up pretty fast! Have to plan for every contingency. Bridging would solve this, but is then another option.
It could be longer but excess notes will be chopped off.
So how long were you thinking?
I think I know where you're going here. Right now the MIDI record only makes changes during play, but I have decided to add a per-event sequence increment that will simply step as notes are entered, while not playing.
Chords will need to be played simultaneously (within a given time) but I have seen this used elsewhere so should be OK.
I think you're thinking about during an edit, when steps are being selected, if [REC] is on, then any notes played will be placed in that step, correct? I think that's a great idea! This could probably be done whether playing or not. (notes would be muted when playing)

if the pop-up reappears this is good for fast workflow because i hate it if i have to repeat & repeat the same action over&over to do multiple edits
Yes it does, just cycles. Oddly, I have been considering changing the TRAX editor to more of a tracker format. There's quite a few tricks that can be used to greatly speed up the editing process. (like "hop" sequential note addition) I know lots of people hate the tracker format, but I am finding the piano roll format cumbersome, mostly when notes are far apart tone-wise...i.e.
Vertically only 7 semitones range is visible so I find myself using [EDIT] to scan up & down to find /view notes in a step which feels like reading sheet music with a microscope.
A tracker format will indicate the (up to) 4 notes in discrete columns, with steps ascending the "list" as we all know.
The thing I don't like about trackers is reading the C#6 Ab5 F#2 etc.. but it's far denser and I am seriously considering trying it out. I used a tracker in the 90's and it takes some getting used to.
Worst case it can be reverted back a few days.
TRAX PLAYLIST FX : now with all manipulations going on, how's the timing holding up?
Seems OK thus far. Trax echos chew up quite a bit of the MIDI bandwidth as do envelopes, but it's surprisingly still manageable. The MIDI envelope resolution is reduced if multiple envelopes are being played of course, but the CV resolution is fine.
ENVELOPES : do these refer to the PLAYLIST FX or the PLAY LIST ARRANGER or as 'standalone' ?
Envelope trigger option is set per envelope occurrence in the PlayList which can select away from it's initial state set in the envelope editor.
The two trigger options are Notes & playlist event. Notes will trigger an envelope over the range (size) of where it is added to the ENV track. Editing the box when placed on the time line in playlist opens options for trigger, (repeat, rate) plus participating MIDI channels, which can all be set away from the default, per event.
There are 4 ENV tracks on the time line so they can be used in various combinations and types. AHDSR or drawn has not bearing on trigger type/rate. The CV destination can be set to follow the CV Mode configuration/velocity jacks, or a specific jack. That way envelopes to control 4 different VCO's VCA's could be assigned by simply selecting CV Mode, while a different envelope to control a post-mix filter could be output from CC5 and/or CC6.

Thanks a lot for replying!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Here I'm playing in a swingy 32 step with TRAX 2 recording while sequencing. The drums were in TRAX 5 and kick/snare/hat on a main song track loop (perc is my trusty old Kawai keyboard partially and a yammy v-drums). TRAX 5's swing is slightly different from TRAX 2
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/TRAX2rec-swingy.mp3
I was concerned about my timing with the swing because the incoming notes are quantized to the swing as well, but it actually felt pretty natural.
I hammered in some notes advanced quite a bit (at 6:00), you can hear those, and they still fell in nicely!
Trax 2 & 5 are on clock mult x2 and the source is MIDI 24PPQN @ 124BPM and the input was also /24 so the steps are 1/8, perfect for swingin'

I started recording in new steps after 4:00 or so
Notice how the record is replacing steps? Morphing..
In the first part a RIT_M (scaled to m7,on a different clock) is controlling a transpose via CC5, which is also transposing MIDI in so the live notes heard are correct, but I pause the RIT_M to stay on 1 key because as I mentioned before, you have to remember what key you're in as it's changing all over the place!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:29 am

those drums have nice 8T swing/feel

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 am

Sandrine wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:38 am
wavejockey wrote:
Mostly because of potential for ring buffer overloading. i.e. 5 TRAX each play a 4 note chord for 1 step at the same time, that's 20 notes on, 20 notes off, making 40 notes held for 2 steps. Another step with the same makes 80 etc. Then add ratcheting. They can add up pretty fast! Have to plan for every contingency. Bridging would solve this, but is then another option.
It could be longer but excess notes will be chopped off.
So how long were you thinking?
ok, but 4 notes = 4 notes, we cannot exceed that poly - i mean, another step would only be possible when the previous step is stopped (note off) - or do you plan a (real) poly sequencer?
that's why i was thinking about exceeding the length to (max) TRAX length, as all other notes then/still in the TRAX would be overriden/not sound
Sandrine wrote:
wavejockey wrote:
I think I know where you're going here. Right now the MIDI record only makes changes during play, but I have decided to add a per-event sequence increment that will simply step as notes are entered, while not playing.
Chords will need to be played simultaneously (within a given time) but I have seen this used elsewhere so should be OK.
I think you're thinking about during an edit, when steps are being selected, if [REC] is on, then any notes played will be placed in that step, correct? I think that's a great idea! This could probably be done whether playing or not. (notes would be muted when playing)
sounds like (real) step recording/editing there ; edit+REC
Sandrine wrote:
wavejockey wrote:
Yes it does, just cycles. Oddly, I have been considering changing the TRAX editor to more of a tracker format. There's quite a few tricks that can be used to greatly speed up the editing process. (like "hop" sequential note addition) I know lots of people hate the tracker format, but I am finding the piano roll format cumbersome, mostly when notes are far apart tone-wise...i.e.
Vertically only 7 semitones range is visible so I find myself using [EDIT] to scan up & down to find /view notes in a step which feels like reading sheet music with a microscope.
A tracker format will indicate the (up to) 4 notes in discrete columns, with steps ascending the "list" as we all know.
The thing I don't like about trackers is reading the C#6 Ab5 F#2 etc.. but it's far denser and I am seriously considering trying it out. I used a tracker in the 90's and it takes some getting used to.
Worst case it can be reverted back a few days.
i would love the tracker format & with it you would position yourself (if you haven't done so) in the forefront of #eurorack sequencers
take a look to polyend (tracker) and NERDSEQ (https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/)
-why not extend the tracker functionality to the PLAYLIST ARRANGER (too) ?
-have the ENV & PLAYLIST FX as a tracker would benefit to have it positioned off-track/song, as a vault where we can summon/attach it to the 'right/correct/wanted' sequence/TRAX when we want it
-why not display notes as HEX (or both options?)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am

wavejockey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 am
ok, but 4 notes = 4 notes, we cannot exceed that poly - i mean, another step would only be possible when the previous step is stopped (note off) - or do you plan a (real) poly sequencer?
that's why i was thinking about exceeding the length to (max) TRAX length, as all other notes then/still in the TRAX would be overriden/not sound
I think you're confusing the MIDI ring buffer with the TRAX buffer, two different animals. Yes the sequencers are true poly (except @ CV outs) so there could be dozens of notes waiting to emerge at any given time (i.e. Echo FX can produce up to 12 additional overlapping notes per track, spaced apart more than 1 step)
So you're thinking bridging then, I hadn't considered length causing a bridge, but rather simply skipping entry on the following steps. Perhaps a length of 100% + could cause a bridge at which point the length would be in steps, or courser gradations...

In the tracker this would appear as large quotes or downward arrows or something, and if that step is edited then the previous bridged step would be shortened, destructively.
Decisions decisions!
sounds like (real) step recording/editing there ; edit+REC
I haven't tried it yet considering the change to tracker format, but totally logical
i would love the tracker format & with it you would position yourself (if you haven't done so) in the forefront of #eurorack sequencers
take a look to polyend (tracker) and NERDSEQ (https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/)
-why not extend the tracker functionality to the PLAYLIST ARRANGER (too) ?
-have the ENV & PLAYLIST FX as a tracker would benefit to have it positioned off-track/song, as a vault where we can summon/attach it to the 'right/correct/wanted' sequence/TRAX when we want it
-why not display notes as HEX (or both options?)
Well that's one thumbs up, good enough for me! I have seen those both but don't like the playlist because it seems there's no offsets, maybe I'm wrong.
In the Sequar's playlist, events are placed by the bar (4 beats in main song outline) so offers staggered placement and varied loop sizes as the "song" progresses.

The Sequar's playlist TRAX tracker tracks (been waiting to say that lol) can have unique FX applied per block (like transpose, scale quant, start/end points, Randomizer/prob, FX masking sequencer modification, length offset, and overrides etc) and even select a different Note FX preset.
The Note Fx (up to 8 per trax, inter-usable so 40 total) has echo, chop/curve chop, glide, dual CC, Fine-tune, pan, PC, FX map enable/disable/invert, and other stuff I forget. These can be selected from anyway.

So it's pretty similar to your vault idea. The Note FX "blocks" can be accessed from any TRAX editor as 2:8 (select TRAX 2, FX 8) and clicking the following button to edit it. It's up to the user whether or not to keep them separate or use them interchangeably.
I thought this would be a good method so, once a spicey FX block is created it can be applied to whatever note in whatever step without copy/past/load-from etc. confusion. ..and there's assignable randomization/probability parameters.

On displaying as HEX, that could be an option in the tracker. I'm accustomed to the standard notation but I am familiar with the hex format,sure! What I meant was I'm more accustomed to positional note indication (from all those DAW years I guess) and have considered a tracker with 1 octave of notes per column (block & dots) and the octave number at the end, a sort of quasi piano-roll tracker. When selected the note designation pops up somewhere. Perhaps another option :hmm:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 am

Update:

In a different thread I posed the question of whether to start a sequence at 0 or 1. Of those that chimed in, most chose 1. Now the Sequarallel has a tracker format for the 5 TRAX sequencers (much better BTW!), and many trackers are in hex and start at 0, I have decided to just make that an option, along with hex/notes option.
Myself, I prefer note names over hex, but also 0 offset over 1.

The sequencer navigation and editing tools make creating a sequencer much easier than the previous piano roll version. Editing tools like Fill:x, Copy, Skip:x, Scale:x, automate adding/modifying steps with notes or whole chords, so not a lot of time is spent making a sequence. Then there's record (step and live when playing) which is the fastest.

The (up to 16) step FX sequencer map is now displayed along with the tracker steps as it progresses in the form of little boxes on or off so you can see which steps have FX settings applied at any given time. This will change as the FX sequence on/offs progress, if the the FX Seq size is not aligned to the Trax Sequence size. Also each TRAX sequencer has it's own FX map, plus Each note can have 1 of 8 FX presets applied individually.
This means that a chord step can have, say, chop (ratchet) applied while the remaining notes only an octave transpose for example. This is great with a MIDI note based sample player as one step can play up to 4 samples in various ways.

Editing possibilities:
When horizontally scroll right past the last notes column the editing QB's open and the horizontal selection becomes a selection of QB's (similar to the ones in Sequarallel's main window.) so changing tools is really easy.
Random with a Scale:x and Fill:x.
This one will create random notes or chords (if scroll left to chord column) then quantize them to a scale selected and fill every Skip:x steps below selection. Random range set to +/-12 notes will offset original step's notes by a random amount so can stay withing the octave region of original step selected for all of the following steps.
Copy with Scale. All pastes will be quantized to set scale
Skip:x set to odd number (3 or 6) for copy/paste. every 3rd or 6th step is filled with note or chord selectively or all at once if Fill:x range is on.
Scrolling in the chord column, the double-click to edit will shift all chord notes in that step as encoder is turned (I use this one alot!)
Low/Hi range setting QB's change the sequence range non-destructively. This is useful to edit and hear a sub-region of the larger sequence, which may be selected in the main playlist to use the same Trax sequence with various start/end ranges along with reverse, ping-pong effect etc.
The ranges are any value (not 4's) The range set is permanent but "hidden" steps are retained.

I have no idea when the Sequarallel will be available as with so many changes the whole thing has been re-written, but I am plugging at it daily so hopefully not much longer!!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:38 am

Here's a short video of the Sequarallel's TRAX Tracker Shift editing feature. I am using TRAX#2 solo'ed to stop everything else (even tho drums can be heard) and the source keyboard I recorded from is also providing a MIDI clock.
Shift can be applied to individual Lanes of notes, or the entire sequence over the set range. Shift can also be used in conjunction with the SKIP parameter to only shift every 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. step, so can be used to completely change a sequence around in new and surprising ways.

I make note of the TRAX FX MASK MAP bar on the left, which is applying a simple + 1 octave when the little box is lit.

This Shift is not to be confused with the Global TRAX shift found in the main QB's within the added TRAX's QB drop-downs. The shift is destructive, which means other types of shift can be layered onto previous results. In the case of disaster there's always the RECALL undo button to bring it all back.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:42 am

nice, i don't think there's a sequencer on the market (yet) where you can apply such immediate / hands-on manipulation(s)
now i know what you meant with shift -thx to the video-
so, if i want to shift the whole 4 note lane TRAX, i would apply this through GLOBAX TRAX shift?
what if i wanted to shift 2/3 note lanes ? (at the same time/same quantity)

i do like that the display 'freezes' when manipulating so you keep the focus, is that also the case when you work on step (e.g.) 15 of xx length sequence?

the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the movie is : is it remote controllable ?
then, is there some macro knob/function (possible) where 1 turn can instigate/glue different functions?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:27 am

wavejockey wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:42 am
nice, i don't think there's a sequencer on the market (yet) where you can apply such immediate / hands-on manipulation(s)
now i know what you meant with shift -thx to the video-
so, if i want to shift the whole 4 note lane TRAX, i would apply this through GLOBAX TRAX shift?
what if i wanted to shift 2/3 note lanes ? (at the same time/same quantity)
To shift all lanes, simply scroll to the far left lane where the step #'s are, which will select all. If used with SKIP:n only every nth note/step row is shifted. This method, with SKIP=4, is great for shifting hand played embellishments between the beats.
i do like that the display 'freezes' when manipulating so you keep the focus, is that also the case when you work on step (e.g.) 15 of xx length sequence?
Yes, anywhere.
the first thing that came to my mind when i saw the movie is : is it remote controllable ?
then, is there some macro knob/function (possible) where 1 turn can instigate/glue different functions?
The editor manipulations are destructive, including Shift, so I hadn't considered remote controlling, but it's an interesting idea. There are already programmable notes for the Record function (delete, note stacking, bridge etc) so that could be done, however...
The MIDI REMOTE CC QB has non-destructive shift as a parameter. Each TRAX QB drop-down has a SHIFT+/- adjustment and that has parameters for note lanes and resolution (akin to SKIP). The remote control via CC is only positive offset of course, but the SHIFT QB is an offset so can be set to a neg value. The range can also be set.
Lastly one of the CV inputs can be assigned to this (bi-polar) ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am

TRAX update:

I have finally completed the TRAX Editor and it's beginning to shine! Here's some key changes..

TRAX ranges
The BOTtom/TOP QB's ( in right side pop-up window ) is now BOT:nn (start point) & SIZE:nn and doesn't update until adjustment is finished, and at a loop point so sync isn't lost during live changes. Changing the range for a record is pretty cool (and quick!) I usually leave Record on while editing a sequence as it's so easy to plunk in a chord here and there.

This applies to the PlayList control of TRAX sequencer sizes as well, only updates on a loop. Setting TRAX automation SIZE parameter to an odd number (like 5 or 7) will still allow off-quarter rotations of the sequences but can be re-aligned by setting a reset modifier in specific bars which will reset the sequence to the present BOT setting in the new bar.
This is akin to a 64 step sequencer with variable reset points.

TRAX NOTE FX
Each TRAX Tracker has 8 NOTE FX "sets" that each contain per-note actions like Ratchet (linear/curved), Echo, Transpose, PC, 2 CC's for MIDI manipulation, Glide and interesting randomizations on these and standard note modifiers + bridging, repeat.
That's in addition to per note adjustments of velocity, delay, and length made in the TRAX Editor grid.
Once up to 8 FX sets have been set up, simply assign the FX# to individual notes or multiple notes etc. in the grid.
The FX Mask Map will enable/disable FX and has it's own cycle from 3-16, so it can cycle for quite a long time.
The reason I chose to go with the 8 FX setups is doing a per-note settings is a lot of work in the end. This method is "choose one preset" which is quick & easy!

When TRAX are added into the playlist (will be end to end in the Song by default) another set of non-destructive modifications can be added, per bar, to override FX assigned. Plus there's a few that are more Song oriented (like overall level, note lengths offset, delay offset, bridging, swing offset, transpose, scale quant, envelope selection, Reset, Start/Size, etc) modifiers.
These are also set up as 8 FX modifiers so it's just a matter of applying an FX# to any TRAX pattern in the PlayList and all of the FX will be applied. This is again way easier than editing each bar. Each of the 5 TRAX sequencers has it's own set of 8 FX as the sequences could be quite different (i.e. percussion, drones, bassline) and the FX can be tailored to match.

TRAX Clocking
Each of the 5 TRAX Sequencers has it's own Clock from the main Clock division. The range right now is from /32 (super slow but useful for key changes by CV) to x4. I had it at x8 & x16 but the swing resolution really gets coarse so reduced it back to x4. There's also x3.
Clock rates of a TRAX can be changed by Automation and within the PlayList which is interesting.
There's a MIDI latency advance setting ( seems important to have with percussion) as well as a Gate output delay to fine tune timings a bit and allow slower VCO's to get to the CV before the Gate fires.

Ratchet (chop) Note saturation
I have decided to remove all limits to ratcheting overloading the ring buffers so that's up to the user. If notes start disappearing, it's probably being driven a bit too hard. With this in mind there's also the unruly sonic saturation of 50 notes playing together 8 times within half a second. It's not desirable in most cases so....

Layers
Finally Layer recording has been changed (hopefully to the better) The addition of the PlayList demanded a different approach to how the Layers are recorded.
APPEND is still used as a choice between simply recording within a loop (Song Loop turned on) or adding to the size of the Layer while looping the the rest of the song/TRAX etc. for the extended size of the Layer.
The way it works with Append is say you have a 4 bar Loop going but you want to play in 8 bars over two loops. Layer record will assume that at least one more Loop size is to be added. Additional notes on the down beat of the next loop will continue adding to the size . This, of course, needs to be played in a timely fashion as Layer will start to play from the start then abort when more notes are played.
Once there's a pause in playing longer than 1 Song/Playlist bar, then the recording is considered complete and new notes can be added at any time to create a new Layer. If MERGE is turned on, this will all stay within one LAYER QB button. If not, then new Layer QB's will be created.

Here's where things get really different.
When Playing through the PlayList (Loop off) and an Appended Layer (on one of the Layers tracks) is encountered, the Song will Loop to play out the recorded Layer(s). This gets really interesting when adding a different Layer QB as the Record size will default to the max size of Layers causing the Loop in he PlayList. Any note played on a different Layer (different channel!) will register the recording as valid over the full range.
This size setting in the new Layer QB can easily be changed to anything once record has been turned on.
So if you have just recorded a 16 bar Layer on a 4 bar Song loop, then want to add a 2 bar percussion, the size can be changed from 16 to 2 and will be recorded once you start hitting the pads.

For a continuous percussion though, TRAX record would be the better option as it's initially global and doesn't attach to Song Loops.

"Song"
One more thing (OMG I'm rambling on aren't I?) that must be mentioned is the "Song" can be a proper pre-planned DAW recorded song with loop markers etc. Or just a framework created in the Loop QB's menu, with added markers.
One thing to be careful of is that once a Layer is associated with a Song Loop region, those markers become locked and can't be changed. The Song size initially sets the PlayList size, but this can be expanded by copy/pasting/deleting loops within the PlayList which will re-size the song.
The method I use if there's no DAW recorded song is to add all 8 loop markers of equal sizes, which will be placed in order in the PlayList, then use those to create Layers and arrange accordingly.
Normally I start with TRAX sequences though as that's really good for bass lines and percussion where you want perfect quantization. Then select an area to Loop on as the song progresses by turning on Loop and add a Layer.
Usually it just takes off from there!

Once the uglies in the UI are finished I'll start posting some videos on just that, creating a Song from scratch. I must admit I like to do a basic DAW recording to start with, which can be re-recorded into another Song# to build it differently but using the same progressions etc. It's like doing a re-mix in that respect.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 am

how are the songs stored in memory? Is there a way to access that memory other than re-playing the song from a DAW/MIDI sequencer? Can i dump a MIDI file somewhere ?

can i populate the 2 MIDI cc's automaticly? in an automated fashion? on the ZAQUENCER (sequencer) i can populate the whole sequence (/track) with a wave of MIDI cc's, offset & start/end value included

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:05 am

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 am
how are the songs stored in memory? Is there a way to access that memory other than re-playing the song from a DAW/MIDI sequencer? Can i dump a MIDI file somewhere ?
Earlier in the thread the SD Card was discussed. A backplane interface on the Sequarallel will connect to an SD Card I/O Add-on & USB MIDI (along with extra CV I/O etc) but that's down the road a bit.
So generally record from DAW (or iPhone/tablet with iRig MIDI2 interface & MIDI file Player app) is the way to get MIDI into the Sequarallel for now. There *is* the time sacrifice, but at 500 BPM it doesn't take long ;)
can i populate the 2 MIDI cc's automaticly? in an automated fashion? on the ZAQUENCER (sequencer) i can populate the whole sequence (/track) with a wave of MIDI cc's, offset & start/end value included
The TRAX Sequencer isn't the way to go with that. There are 4 Envelopes (AHDSR type or User drawn/CV created) that can be directed to a CC and/or CV outs. The envelopes reside in the PlayList as 1-Shot per bar for slower waves, or per TRAX/SEQ Note over the range placed in the playlist.
Interestingly the envelope record function can be automated so an LFO (or envgen) can be recorded at a certain point, then that captured wave played on notes or in bars following, including when recorded. This gives a looping sequence variance each time. The recorded wave form can be edited as well.
i.e.
Set ENV1 to trigger with Notes. (That's how I use ENV's mostly)
In the PlayList insert ENV1 over a range (match the loop..) then edit the first ENV to turn on record. patch an LFO to source CV (CKO or CC5 or CC6) and hit play

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am

nice, so i can built a library of ENV's ?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:40 am

wavejockey wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am
nice, so i can built a library of ENV's ?
yes and 4 can be used per "song" (any 4) so total 400

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:37 pm

I have been tweaking the MPE-like multi-channel zones for TRAX and related Note FX modules and thought I'd post this track I made earlier today using TRAX 2 tracker with 4 different voices, TRAX 5 with 2 percussion synths, and a bit of TRAX 1 with envelopes on Cut filter.
All of the TRAX were played in on a MIDI Keyboard, most are recorded during this recording using "stack" and others overdubbed.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/S4-TRAX125-FX8.mp3

TRAX Recording is set up so notes snap to steps, and the Note FX, lengths, & velocty stay in place, (options!) thus playing in new notes doesn't wreck the groove in place.
SOme of the FX on TRAX 2 (were most of the notes are) include Fine Tune, Glide, Chop (ratchet), Echo, transpose, AT, note length and cut filter. As TRAX 2 is set up as MPE, there's 4 channels so I set each voice differently (MPE usually puts them all the same) so some FX act differently. The FX mask is at 13 steps. Of course I bulk modify the note lengths and velocities from the tracker grid (towards the end)

The percussion also has some FX applied to 32 steps that it is here, so you can hear cymbals changing, and oddities (this is randomization of some FX elements with FX mask stepping to 12)

It wasn't just muting and soloing, rather live modifications, scaling, transposing inside the TRAX editors, then using "recall" to get back the original sequence I entered the editor with.
Anyway, this shows how quickly a composition can be created, just using the trackers (not Song Loops/PlayList/Layers)

This short one is using the TRAX Note FX Echo almost alone with a similar setup to above sample. Echo is at 1:12 mostly I believe.. transposing is bulk notes in editor (probably)
http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/TRAXecho.mp3

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 am

i've watched your YT #SUPERBOOTH live session yesterday, it starts here :

in the video you mention that only the 2 AUX (cc) outs are bipolar and all the rest is unipolar, is that correct?
what wasn't mentioned in the vid (because the guys were so overwhelmed by the amount of intel i think) was that each of the 5 tracks can record / holds MIDI from 16 channels, right ?
- i think they were so focused on getting something line up that this aspect was not mentioned

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm

wavejockey wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 am
i've watched your YT #SUPERBOOTH live session yesterday, it starts here :

in the video you mention that only the 2 AUX (cc) outs are bipolar and all the rest is unipolar, is that correct?
what wasn't mentioned in the vid (because the guys were so overwhelmed by the amount of intel i think) was that each of the 5 tracks can record / holds MIDI from 16 channels, right ?
- i think they were so focused on getting something line up that this aspect was not mentioned
That's right, we were going to go with bi-polar CV also but the rez is much nicer with the 0-5V for fine tuning etc. There's still the 0-10V option too.
Record can be on any channel which is applied to the TRAX channel setup, so say TRAX 1 was set to MPE zone 1 (ch2,3,4,5) then notes recorded as chords would stack up into the 4 channels. If TRAX 1 was set to Channel 6, and record channel used is channel 1, then notes are fed through during record to match the TRAX being sent to.
Layer's on the other hand duplicate whatever channel it's coming in on by default.

Yes everyone was pretty happy about the Sequarallel it seems ;) The 30 minutes felt like 5 minutes to be honest

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Update:
I have decided to do a slight hardware mod to enable CC CV Outputs 1-4 to be bipolar (or 0-10V) as it's becoming apparent that bi-polar envelopes on these outputs would be a great addition. The 1V/Oct CV outs will remain 0-5/0-10V.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:55 am

more great news from SDS Digital / Deluxe !

Return to “Eurorack Modules”