can you help recommend me a filter for a more vintage sound?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

can you help recommend me a filter for a more vintage sound?

Post by zerodivide » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

So I love my Instruo CS-L for all its capabilities but I've realized I'm lately gravitating to the more vintage 70s bucchla-ish character type of sounds. Can you guys recommend me a filter for the CS-L that will make it sound more Bucchla/Verbos-ish? Even the Moog Grandmother/Matriarch seems to have that "vibe" I'm looking for. CS-L seems to be a great start for the oscillator section but I need to filter off the highest highs. I want that round, filtered buzzy sound. Should I be looking at a ladder filter? or something more complex? Thanks in advance guys!

PS: I have a Taakab 2LPG which helps for plucky stuff but still need a filter!

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

helix
Wiggling with Experience

Post by helix » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am

No resonance on that?

Im unsure about those modules. They look pretty cool, but they don't make very good use of space, clumpnig everything really together when there is so much empty panel space. Or maybe that IS better? They look beautiful and minimal, and the font/print is great too, but they just look a little imbalanced a lot of the time, looks wise......

I am pretty intrigued by them purely because of the design though so they're doing somethign right...

But there as SO many other options for a filter anyway, most filters use such similar circuits that loads sound quite similar anyway. the Doepfer SEM has a "vintagey sound" but personally i didn't like it's bleed through, but it's a popular choice. It just never cutoff fully, there is always some signal in the background.. i emailed doepfer... supposed to be like that apprently...

I'm blabbering now..

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:20 am

A -24db/oct low pass ladder filter based on the Moog low pass ladder filter is about as vintage sounding as it gets. A low-cost, but great sounding module in this category is the Doepfer A-120. The Buchla 191 sharp cutoff low pass is a similar filter. The Verbos DFP is a discrete transistor design based on the Buchla 191. The Verbos DFP is very vintage sounding. In fact, it imparts more vintage color and warmth than some people like.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

It’s not Glitch, it’s not Granular, what in the f*** is that?!?!

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am

I’d go for a ACL Discrete Core Ladder VCF to match the awesomeness of the Cš-L. :goo:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acl-discr ... ladder-vcf
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

helix wrote:No resonance on that?

Im unsure about those modules. They look pretty cool, but they don't make very good use of space, clumpnig everything really together when there is so much empty panel space. Or maybe that IS better? They look beautiful and minimal, and the font/print is great too, but they just look a little imbalanced a lot of the time, looks wise......

I am pretty intrigued by them purely because of the design though so they're doing somethign right..
TTMC makes Euro clones of Buchla 100, in both circuit and form factor. There were a few panels for the 100 that don't even have any knobs- just sockets on the top third or so of the model with blank space below it.
There's not resonance control because the Buchla 192 filter didn't have it either.

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm

I’ve just bought an RYO Aperture filter/lpg/vca, it might be worth checking out.

here hare here!

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Another vote for the Doepfer SEM Filter. It can do quite nasty sounds as well with feedback patching and/or audio rate modulation.

Might be a bit overkill but if you can afford 14HP, the Klangbau Köln Twin peak filter does have a nice vintage sound in lowpass mode, and has a lot of features e.g. as an oscillator in addition to that. I think the lowpass is 12db/oct.

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:02 pm

I will often crank the gain and loudness controls all the way up on the verbos ATC and then just use it simply as a low pass filter, and not as a VCA/VCF combo. It has a certain kind of character.

nios
Common Wiggler

Post by nios » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 pm

VSL VCF-74 mk2, which is based on the Korg 700. It's one of the grimiest/hoarsest sounding filters ever.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:42 pm

+1 A-120.

Seems simple, but there’s loads to explore in the way it responds to resonance, level and modulation.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm

for imparting "vintage sound" you are probably better of looking at VCAs and mixers... but for something 'Buchlaesque' low pass gates are your friend.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm

gruebleengourd wrote:for imparting "vintage sound" you are probably better of looking at VCAs and mixers... but for something 'Buchlaesque' low pass gates are your friend.
I mean if you take the Verbos system for example and take out the VCA, it still has that sound

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Synthesis Technology e440

Rossum Evolution

Even the Instruo Tràigh

All three are variations of what you seem to want.

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:44 pm

The Verbos ATC (v1 at least) gets pretty mean & grimey. You should be able to dial in just how much ‘vintage’ you want in spades

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:51 pm

+ A-120 and A-106..and Wasp

But, if you get something like Xoac Belgrade, it has a bunch of filter types (10 of them) and some of them sound really good.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Another vote for the A-120.

Get the vintage edition so the look matches as well.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm

I own both the Verbos DFP and ATC, and yes, they sound amazingly vintage and nice with a complex oscillator. I only use the LPF on the DFP, because I like it so much.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: can you help recommend me a filter for a more vintage so

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:06 pm

zerodivide wrote: I want that round, filtered buzzy sound. Should I be looking at a ladder filter?

I also suggest the A-106-5 SEM. Very affordable. Small HP. Variety of tones from the round LP to the buzzier BP and HP. The suggested Wasp A-124 also covers this I suppose if you don't over-do it (buzzy for sure... round... maybe). But the SEM has a richer 'rounder' bottom. At least to me.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Rossum Evolution fits the description of what the OP wants and has a great range of control parameters all under CV - beautiful build quality too. For a filter after a complex oscillator I prefer something like Aperture (bit harsh), Twin Peak ( really smooth) - or Three Sisters (to really pick out/separate narrow ranges of harmonics).

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: can you help recommend me a filter for a more vintage so

Post by mritenburg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:07 pm

zerodivide wrote: I want that round, filtered buzzy sound. Should I be looking at a ladder filter?
That’s going to have more to do with the signal you send through the filter. Try stacked saw waves in different octaves. Sweep the cut-off freq on the filter in to the higher range, then back down low. You’ll get a nice buzzy timbre when the filter is open and a nice round sound when it is closing.

Transistor Ladder filters are good for this, so are diode filters, but they are more nasal sounding.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 am

thanks for the suggestions guys. I actually fell in love with the Rossum Evolution at a modular store way before posting this thread. But for my smaller rack and for the price point, its a bit tough with just 1 mono input. I'd need 2 for my CS-L. Loved seeing so many suggestions for the Doepfer, small footprint and reasonably cheap. Might just pick that up for now and add more later. thank you all so much. Are you guys summing your L and R and sending to a filter? Or mostly running mono inputs into them?
Last edited by zerodivide on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 am

ps: I just bought a Dipole before making this thread and then returned it the next day. Its AMAZING for FX based filtering but I realized my priority should be character filters before FX toys.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 am

A question for those who recommended the A120. Is this a personal experience thing, or is there something else that puts it above the newer (improved?) A108? Are there other considerations for choosing the A120 - hp, cost?

I'm ladder-curious, so I'm interested to know.

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:24 am

I found the analogue solutions sem filter to sound very vintagey,
I also liked the filter in the dark energy v.1.
But i guess it depends on the type of vintage sound.
I think the Doepfer sem filter sounds great too, especially with some slight
Ocs. Detuning and phasing fx.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”