Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

thread
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by thread » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:24 am

Wubz wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm
Hi all, sorrry if this has been answered before. Is there a way to add more audio outputs to the ES-9. Looking to integrate it further with VCV rack and more outs would be great. Thanks.
Check out the ES-5. It gives you 8 more gate/cv outs. Then from that expander, you can attach up to six ESX-8GT and/or ESX-8CV for even more.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 am

thread wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:24 am
Wubz wrote:
Hi all, sorrry if this has been answered before. Is there a way to add more audio outputs to the ES-9. Looking to integrate it further with VCV rack and more outs would be great. Thanks.
Check out the ES-5. It gives you 8 more gate/cv outs. Then from that expander, you can attach up to six ESX-8GT and/or ESX-8CV for even more.
It's my understanding the ES-5 doesn't give you audio output, is that not correct?

stringtapper
Common Wiggler

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:31 am

Wubz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 am
thread wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:24 am
Wubz wrote:
It's my understanding the ES-5 doesn't give you audio output, is that not correct?
Yes. Only gates or triggers from the ES-5. I use it as a multi-clock source.

Mcduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mcduffie » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:53 am

Wubz wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:26 pm
Mcduffie wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm
Maybe I’m missing something basic, but the 3.5mm outputs 1-8 don’t seem to be working for me. I know that USB outs 9-16 are routed to those outs by default and that’s what I’m using to send audio via Ableton. Ableton sees the ES-9 and the right outs are enabled and selected and the little green signal indicator lights, but nothing from the ES-9. Main outs and headphone outs are working just fine. Inputs also seem to be fine.

Just recently switched to Big Sur. Not 100% sure it was working correctly before, but I think so.

I haven’t messed with the default configuration and the configurator tool shows the expected settings. Firmware 1.1.1

Any thoughts?
Sometimes I have to restart Ableton after configuring the I/O for the ES-9.

Restarting Ableton solved the problem. Thanks!

Nonlocal
Common Wiggler

Post by Nonlocal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:14 pm

Had something kind of scary happen with an ES-9 the other day and I’m curious if this has happened with anyone else.

I recorded 4 stereo tracks on ableton. Everything was running smoothly, but when I played back the audio, I was punched with this very loud and distorted pitch that sounded after I reached the loudest point of the recording, which was probably close to 0db on the master track. The pitch would only play when running the recording, but after unplugging headphones, unplugging usb, rebooting ableton, it would not go away. Only after rebooting my computer did it disappear from the playback. I’m actually assuming there’s some incompatibility with my laptop (dell Inspiron windows 10) because it has kind of taken a beating over the years, but I’m not entirely sure since I’ve never had this problem with other interfaces.

Also not the only problem I’ve had now that I think about it. There was an instance where I had been recording 4 stereo voices simultaneously then suddenly all audio muted from the headphone out, even though ableton was still showing audio levels inputed. This would not resolve until I power cycled my rack.

Am I running too much audio though the inputs? Is there perhaps some incompatibility with laptops for some weird reason. I haven’t tried reinstalling the firmware 1.1.1 yet, but this is probably what I’ll try next if something happens again, seems like that’s fixed most people’s problems.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”