Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Jaypee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:58 am

Anyone has latency problems?

I have to experiment a bit more but my setup was very tight using es-3/6 and minidsp as my interface. With es-9 connected through USB port, not so much. Will try to use minidsp interface and connect es-9 to it...and report.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

igneonsystem
1-Post Wiggler

Post by igneonsystem » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Im experimenting with this soundcard for 2 weeks.

What i notice now is that when i select my Daw (ableton) and i put the expert sleepers soundcard. I keeps on playing in Mono.

If i wide my stereo field on a synth (virtual) The volume just gets louder. My output in ableton is set on channel 15/16

Do i miss something? Or what do i need to do in the mixer interface?

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm

Any updates on new units to the US? All seem to be out :( Really wish they had come in stock again before The Virus.

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 am

Hi OS - quick one - just got my ES-9 today (replacing a MOTU ultra lite MK4) at 0db in Ableton Live on the master with nothing plugged into the ES-9 i'm getting a lot of white noise. Am I doing anything wrong? Updated to the latest Firmware. Input DC Blocking turned on for all channels. Main outs L and R are at 0db in the config tool. On an iMac.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 am

Do you maybe need to turn your speakers down? Have you sent actual audio out of the ES-9 to get an idea of how loud it is?

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

os wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:16 am
Do you maybe need to turn your speakers down? Have you sent actual audio out of the ES-9 to get an idea of how loud it is?
That sorted it - signal much hotter than the motu - cheers, this going to be so good!

jones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jones » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:15 am

With regard to the ES-5 - will I need to use that specific Silent Way software with the ES-9 in order to get triggers out of it (how it was with the ES3) - if/when it's connected to the ES-9?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 am

Yes, it's the same. Silent Way or max/msp externals or VCV Rack plug-in.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 am

is there any word on when and if the next batch hits schneidersladen? they said I'm second in line but it has been like this for many weeks now (since the last batch which I missed by one slot :-| Otherwise I'd consider ordering from signal sounds but that seems not ideal atm because of corona. I really can't wait :-)

Velazquez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Velazquez » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:56 am

I would like to ask about the difference between es-8 and es-9. Do they differ in sound quality? Is the basic difference the number of inputs and additional options in the es-9 like a mixer or headphone output? I need a module for eurorack and vcv communication. Four inputs are enough for me at this moment. The Es-9 has 16 hp and is very expensive. I would rather buy es-8 as long as it doesn't differ in quality. I don't care about the additional functionality of es-9. Will I lose something important in communication with vcv by choosing es-8?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm

The sound quality is pretty much the same. The ES-9 has (many) more inputs, and has the 1/4" sockets.

Make sure you also consider the ES-3/6, if those are an option for you.

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:38 am

Anyone know if the ES-9 is multi-client ASIO?
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

dip_registered
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dip_registered » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm

The two modes (hosted and standalone) in the nest firmware are ace! Thanks! :hail:

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:44 am

So, I'm using the ES-9 along with my clarett 8pre interface as an aggregate device. So far so good as far as inputs are concerned. The clarett 8pre is the first device and the ES-9 is the second. My problem is when I set up the outputs on the ES-9. Channels 9-16 are taken up by the Clarett and so I can't output audio to my ES-9 on DAW channels 9-16. How do I change the ES-9 outputs to different Channels? The DAW doesn't do it for me automatically (it does with the Clarett) Ableton says the ES-9 outputs are on channels 21-36 (but these don't route to ES-9 outputs 1-8) . Are the output jacks fixed on channels 9-16? If I put the ES-9 first in the Aggregate device list it will work as the ES-9 then gets to use DAW channels 9-16 for the 8 outs. However I have everything aset up already to have the Clarett first. plz help...

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 am

Plz ignore this request for help. Soon as I went back to my rig and turned it all back on everything worked perfectly.

haha........

Is it not possible to delete a post btw?

Wubz wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:44 am
So, I'm using the ES-9 along with my clarett 8pre interface as an aggregate device. So far so good as far as inputs are concerned. The clarett 8pre is the first device and the ES-9 is the second. My problem is when I set up the outputs on the ES-9. Channels 9-16 are taken up by the Clarett and so I can't output audio to my ES-9 on DAW channels 9-16. How do I change the ES-9 outputs to different Channels? The DAW doesn't do it for me automatically (it does with the Clarett) Ableton says the ES-9 outputs are on channels 21-36 (but these don't route to ES-9 outputs 1-8) . Are the output jacks fixed on channels 9-16? If I put the ES-9 first in the Aggregate device list it will work as the ES-9 then gets to use DAW channels 9-16 for the 8 outs. However I have everything aset up already to have the Clarett first. plz help...

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:03 pm

os wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:34 pm
In stock: https://www.ctrl-mod.com/products/es-9- ... -interface
Huh? Nah it's been pre-order at Control for months. It's pre-order everywhere.. any updates (or used ones for sale..)?

Ellingferd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ellingferd » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:59 am

Also wondering if these will be in stock at Control soon? Control is quoting mid-late April. Thanks!

d.simon
Common Wiggler

Post by d.simon » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 am

I bought one on ctrl-mod on 3/24 (10% sale). It was out of stock...I refreshed and it was in stock...buy now.

so... its in stock if it says "in stock". when people buy the inventory it goes out of stock again.
if a site has an email list for out of stock item then my suggestion is to be on that list, and be early to respond.
me? I was just lucky.

variablewaveshape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by variablewaveshape » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:59 am

howdy y'all! any of you es9 users having trouble using the configuration tool in Mac OS? I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and when I install the updater tool, it downloads properly, I unzip, and when I try to run the application it fails to load. I really would like to update my module to use it in standalone mode!

Ellingferd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ellingferd » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:01 pm

I put in a pre-order, so I'm in line. I was more wondering if the pandemic was going to affect the production of the module in general.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:00 pm

I was in line at schneidersladen for 3 months. Got it now, its fantastic. Took me 10 minutes to set it all up and to understand the configuration tool. Win 10 -> no problems.

jxsmith
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jxsmith » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:21 am

variablewaveshape wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:59 am
howdy y'all! any of you es9 users having trouble using the configuration tool in Mac OS? I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 and when I install the updater tool, it downloads properly, I unzip, and when I try to run the application it fails to load. I really would like to update my module to use it in standalone mode!
I had an issue running it as well. My issue turned out to be that the ES9 was in an aggregate. Once I removed it from the aggregate, the flashing tool worked without issue.
-JX

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 am

d.simon wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 am
I bought one on ctrl-mod on 3/24 (10% sale). It was out of stock...I refreshed and it was in stock...buy now.

so... its in stock if it says "in stock". when people buy the inventory it goes out of stock again.
if a site has an email list for out of stock item then my suggestion is to be on that list, and be early to respond.
me? I was just lucky.
FYI I chatted with the folks over at ctrl-mod; if it's in stock, it's in stock or due to be in-stock. When they put up pre-orders, it's only for however many they're receiving.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

note!
Common Wiggler

Post by note! » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:21 pm

d.simon wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 am

me? I was just lucky.
I know you're being clever. I see that. But I'm on every single notification list for the es-9 in the states. Vintage King Audio, Perfect Circuit, Control, blah blah blah. No emails. So count yourself lucky that you got one and maybe it was the only one. But no reason to sass.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”