Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Wubz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 am

Hi, If i had an ipad, would i be able to plug it into the ES-9 usb socket and use an app of some kind to control all the volume levels of the inputs and outputs? erhaps even have EQ for all those channels. Basically turn the ES-9 + Ipad into a mixer for my modular. Would i then be able to also use, at the same time, for example, audio apps on the ipad to process the sound coming from the ES-9? Is any/all of this possible?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:56 am

You can use something like AUM on the iPad to create a full featured digital mixer with EQ and effects. I've done this myself and indeed gigged with such a system.

Other audio apps can link in as inter-app audio or plugins or whatever.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:50 am

This is awesome, might have to get me an ipad.
os wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:56 am
You can use something like AUM on the iPad to create a full featured digital mixer with EQ and effects. I've done this myself and indeed gigged with such a system.

Other audio apps can link in as inter-app audio or plugins or whatever.

maxbobo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxbobo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:06 pm

To those who are using the main outputs for monitoring directly (ie not going into a stereo channel of a mixer first), how are you controlling the output levels in the crosspoint matrix mixer from a workflow standpoint? Are you using a set and forget approach in the software configurator? Or are you going through a monitor controller before you reach the monitors? Are you toggling back and forth between the config tool to set the levels manually? Have any of you created a SysEx tool to make this easier?

I’m having some basic workflow issues with mixing levels to the outputs.

With Ableton for example, I have a 16n giving me control of the master fader via CC. So I can set the output level in the configurator and attenuate the mix volume appropriately with the fader.. but when I use the browser window, let’s say scanning through some samples, the audio comes out at the full volume.

So I’m looking for a simple solution to create a software ‘master’ fader, so to speak. Any ideas?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:21 am

Why not turn your monitors down?

maxbobo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxbobo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am

That would be great! But I'm using a pair of Equator D5's. The back panel carries a sensitivity control with a range from +12dBu to -10dBu. They don't go lower than that.. so turning them down doesn't quite turn them down enough. I think there's a sweet spot to find with them at -10 and a set and forget position in the config. but haven't figured out the best way to calibrate my setup. So yeah, just curious how others set up their workflow with regard to levels.

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 pm

here's a question that is applicable to all DC-coupled audio interfaces, but I'll ask on this thread because the ES9 is the newest bad boy AFAIK

if I wanted to take some CV from a Eurorack module, send it into the computer via ES9 to process it (eg sample and hold, slew, mix with other signals using Bitwig, or Silent Way + VCV rack), and send it back out via the ES9 to modulate some other Euro module, I should expect that final signal to be delayed by the round-trip latency (input latency + output latency) of the ES9, correct?

and that if I wanted to avoid a latency mismatch relative to other events (e.g. sequencers clocked by the ES9), I would need to either avoid this use case (processing external CV through the computer and sending it back out) or apply some track delay compensation workarounds in the DAW (here I get lost easily)?

if this is all right, I get the sense that the most headache-free uses of CV involving Silent Way / Ableton CV Tools / Bitwig are:
- OTB output of CV derived solely from ITB tools (eg Silent Way LFO and sequencer plugins)
- input of CV from OTB for the sake of recording it ITB
- input of CV from OTB for the sake of modulating ITB objects (plugins, track levels, etc)

but that things become messy when you try using the DAW as a processing layer for your OTB CV and sending that CV back outside the box?

-es
Learning to Wiggle

Post by -es » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:39 am

How many esx -8cvs can you have working with the es9? Can’t see this stated anywhere. If more than one does each need an es5?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm

One ES-5 can drive five ESX-8CVs (or six, if you don't want to use the ES-5's own outputs).

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Os, hope next module will be a dedicated module for more inputs for es-9 (s pdif). :)
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 pm

I want 16 more outputs
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:18 am

I want 16 more inputs :lol:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Ellingferd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ellingferd » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Does anyone know the capability of the headphone jack to drive headphones? I am looking at a pair of the Drop x Sennheiser HD6xx and their impedance is 300ohm. Planning on the ES-9 as my primary headphone output so hoping it will be able to drive them, and couldn't find any direct info on this.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 am

That will be fine. The headphone amp is specified to drive down to 16 Ohms.

Jtalton
Common Wiggler

Post by Jtalton » Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 am

on the website it mentions "For even more outputs (up to 48 more), the ES-9 can be expanded with the ES-5*. It also has a pair of S/PDIF sockets for connecting other digital audio gear."

I am still confused on what the limitations on the outputs and what modules i should get to expand. My dream is to have 32 outputs that can be either gate or CV (is that possible?).

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sat May 02, 2020 5:25 am

For any expansion you first need an ES-5. Then you can add the ESX modules, up to 6 of them.

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am

Hi os,
I would like to get the ES-9 and use it as an aggregate device together with my Apollo Twin Duo on Mac. I prefer the ES-9 over the ES-8 because of the standalone mixer mode plus headphone and balanced outs, when I want to go without computer and Apollo.
But I am a bit worried about sync between the 2 interfaces. For the ES-8 you mentioned to also run an ADAT cable from Apollo to slave the ES-8 to the Apollo clock.
Any way to do something similar with ES-9? The Apollo also has S/PDIF ...
Best, Klaus

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Hello!
Curious if you can use ES-9 as a standalone mixer in a 'standalone mode' while controlling channel's volume with external MIDI device.
Thank you.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 11, 2020 2:37 am

kobe wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am
I would like to get the ES-9 and use it as an aggregate device together with my Apollo Twin Duo on Mac. I prefer the ES-9 over the ES-8 because of the standalone mixer mode plus headphone and balanced outs, when I want to go without computer and Apollo.
But I am a bit worried about sync between the 2 interfaces. For the ES-8 you mentioned to also run an ADAT cable from Apollo to slave the ES-8 to the Apollo clock.
You can use the two in an Aggregate. Unless you're using the ES-5 expansion you don't strictly need to sync them, as 'drift correction' will work fine. You can connect the two via S/PDIF if need be.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 am

MATSmile wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm
Curious if you can use ES-9 as a standalone mixer in a 'standalone mode' while controlling channel's volume with external MIDI device.
At the moment the mixer can be controlled via SysEx. I plan to add CC control of the mix at some point.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 am

Hi!

I'm currently in the market for a eurorack mixer. Having control of pan is important to me, and ideally having cv automation over that.

With 14 ins on the ES-9, is it feasible that in standalone mode I can send audio to some of the ins, then use remaining ins to cv pan those incoming audio channels for example?

MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MATSmile » Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 am

os wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 am
MATSmile wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm
At the moment the mixer can be controlled via SysEx. I plan to add CC control of the mix at some point.
Thank you Os!
Thinking it would be really awesome with a faderbank.

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 am

os wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:37 am
kobe wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 am
You can use the two in an Aggregate. Unless you're using the ES-5 expansion you don't strictly need to sync them, as 'drift correction' will work fine. You can connect the two via S/PDIF if need be.
Thanks for the quick answer. Why is it with ES-5 expansion needed to be synced and how to do that? I plan to get ES-5 later.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 11, 2020 5:18 am

NaiveMelody wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 am
With 14 ins on the ES-9, is it feasible that in standalone mode I can send audio to some of the ins, then use remaining ins to cv pan those incoming audio channels for example?
No, sorry.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon May 11, 2020 5:20 am

kobe wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:23 am
Why is it with ES-5 expansion needed to be synced and how to do that?
Because the ES-5 needs the exact bitstream to work properly. Drift correction works by interpolating.

You would connect an S/PDIF cable and set the Apollo to sync to the ES-9's clock.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”