Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm

theotteryears wrote:Is there a way to turn down the monitor outs via the front panel?
I imagine you would do this in the software.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 pm

organon wrote:451mA :eek:
I saw that too. And 130 some for the -12v. That will be the hidden Gotcha for many users who will severely tax their supplies without realizing it.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
I saw that too. And 130 some for the -12v. That will be the hidden Gotcha for many users who will severely tax their supplies without realizing it.
That really was something I wasn't aware of.

I had planned a little rack using the 4ms Pod with FH-2, one CV and one gate expander and ES-8. According to modulargrid, the power consumption is 397 mA +12V and 133 mA -12V

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:51 pm

scrunday wrote:I'm just curious if it's soundcard capabilities (not just getting sounds and CV in and out of my computer) is sufficient for music production or would I need to augment it with something like a UA Apollo for mixing and mastering.
So I'm definitely not a pro audio person by any means, but isn't this a subjective call?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:00 pm

guigui wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
That really was something I wasn't aware of.

I had planned a little rack using the 4ms Pod with FH-2, one CV and one gate expander and ES-8. According to modulargrid, the power consumption is 397 mA +12V and 133 mA -12V
The data on the Expert Sleepers page is spec'd at 96kHz, maybe it draws less at lower resolutions?:

Last edited by ersatzplanet on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:00 pm

jzwoopwoop wrote:
scrunday wrote:I'm just curious if it's soundcard capabilities (not just getting sounds and CV in and out of my computer) is sufficient for music production or would I need to augment it with something like a UA Apollo for mixing and mastering.
So I'm definitely not a pro audio person by any means, but isn't this a subjective call?
Maybe I need to rephrase the question...

Differences in features aside, is the ES-9 technically on par with an audio interface like the UA Apollo Twin MkII in terms of A/D and D/A conversion?

For the record, I plan on getting the ES-9 because of its suitability for sending and receiving several lines of audio and CV.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:37 pm

i have an ES-8 and i´m happy !
no need for more ins and outs for me.

just out of curiosity:
how do the ES-8 and ES-9 compare in regards vs. electronics, "audio quality on paper" etc.

@scrunday,
thats probably more to the studio people who might have to answer, .........or at least share their opinions.
For example ES-8 vs. a RME or so.

( interested myself to hear about)
(personally, the ES-8 is doing it for me ! As are the 200€ Audio interfaces )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 am

ersatzplanet wrote:
For some perspective here, a Pod40X is rated at 1400mA. A TipTop μZEUS is rated at 2000mA. People generally have more power available than was the case a few years ago.
The data on the Expert Sleepers page is spec'd at 96kHz, maybe it draws less at lower resolutions?
It's about 30mA less at 44.1kHz.
how do the ES-8 and ES-9 compare in regards vs. electronics, "audio quality on paper" etc.
On paper they're pretty much the same.

akrenaut
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akrenaut » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Looking forward to adding this into my recording set up. Can you simultaneously monitor all 14 inputs through the 1/4" outs without going through a DAW?

Would be nice to eliminate my interface and ada8200. While this works... you can only monitor the inputs from the ada8200 when a DAW is open.

Proud owner of 3 Disting MK4's. You guys go above and beyond with continued updates and support for your products.

drowld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drowld » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:15 am

God i think a lot of us would kill for a 14in 8out adat eurorack interface.
I know bandwith with adats and chips is complex so it's probably one of the reason there are none.
I would prefer something else than having 2 es-6 for 12 IN and 2 es-3 for 16 OUT :deadbanana:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am

drowld wrote:God i think a lot of us would kill for a 14in 8out adat eurorack interface.
I know bandwith with adats and chips is complex so it's probably one of the reason there are none.
I would prefer something else than having 2 es-6 for 12 IN and 2 es-3 for 16 OUT :deadbanana:
yep
although id be happy with even 8in/8out really
aggregating audio interfaces is a pain to me, and invites more issues. using a solid masterclock and adat makes much more sense in a studio situation.

although this es-9 can be used standalone, is kinda cool, and i suppose there is a growing market for people who dont have or need a typical audio interface setup.

boom blip
Common Wiggler

Post by boom blip » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:24 pm

I could never get the timing right with the es-8 on a pc with ableton, tempted to give this a try so it's all on one soundcard.

ianross
Super Deluxe Wiggler

ASIO driver?

Post by ianross » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Does Expert Sleepers offer an ASIO driver for this or do you have to use it with something like ASIO for all?

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm

So no upgrade/add-on path then, eh? No chance to make it 32ch+ in one windows interface, I take it, since there's no ADAT port...?

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:49 am

I have a few questions before I'd be able to commit...

How well does it cope with balanced devices going in through the unbalanced inputs?

Is it possible to configure the balanced outs and headphone jacks for monitoring inputs whilst the ES-9 is not connected to a computer? For instance, are you able to configure say inputs 1 and 2 as a stereo pair, input 3 as a mono euro rack level input, inputs 4 and 5 as a balanced level electron box stereo pair, etc. Once that's all set up in the software, then turn the computer off and continue to monitor that configuration via headphones and a mixer?

Similarly, is it possible to configure the outputs to do anything whilst not plugged into a computer (pass through, merge of inputs, or similar)?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 am

Sorry for slow replies - the forum stopped sending me notifications.
Can you simultaneously monitor all 14 inputs through the 1/4" outs without going through a DAW?
Only 8 at the moment. A firmware update may change that.
God i think a lot of us would kill for a 14in 8out adat eurorack interface.
ADAT is limited to 8 channels. If you have two ADAT pairs you can have 2x ES-3/6/7 for 16 in/out.
Does Expert Sleepers offer an ASIO driver for this
Yes.
How well does it cope with balanced devices going in through the unbalanced inputs?
As well as anything with unbalanced inputs. You're just ignoring one of the two signals.
Is it possible to configure the balanced outs and headphone jacks for monitoring inputs whilst the ES-9 is not connected to a computer?
Yes.
Similarly, is it possible to configure the outputs to do anything whilst not plugged into a computer (pass through, merge of inputs, or similar)?
Yes.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:48 am

great responses! :yay: :banana: :bananaguitar:
os wrote:
Does Expert Sleepers offer an ASIO driver for this
Yes.
will any application that accepts Asio drivers be able to recieve DC signal too?
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 am

os wrote:
Is it possible to configure the balanced outs and headphone jacks for monitoring inputs whilst the ES-9 is not connected to a computer?
Yes.
Yes.
Thank you. Count me in!

artieTwelve
Common Wiggler

Post by artieTwelve » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Looks hefty, and I'm sure the build quality is top notch, but I'll stick with my ES-8 for now. Just don't need that much I/O.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:38 pm

I sold my ES-3, ES-6 and my output module...hope ES-9 won't be delayed :hihi:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 am

will any application that accepts Asio drivers be able to recieve DC signal too?
Yes. It's just audio as far as the computer's concerned.

tiger001
Common Wiggler

Post by tiger001 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:12 am

os wrote:
Can you simultaneously monitor all 14 inputs through the 1/4" outs without going through a DAW?
Only 8 at the moment. A firmware update may change that.
if i read the manual right, you could monitor through USB all ins/outs

(nowadays, many computer but also standalone consoles have USB plug&play interfaces)

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 am

Yes, over USB you have all 16 inputs & 16 outputs.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:02 am

os wrote:
Yes. It's just audio as far as the computer's concerned.
thanks
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

thebends9
Common Wiggler

Post by thebends9 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Is there any difference in recorded audio quality coming from an es8 vs an es9?

I saw this in the es9 manual but not the es8 manual:
The input ADCs (analogue to digital converters) have optional DC Blocking filters, which can be
switched on or off in pairs. It is recommended to have these on if the input is being used for audio,
to maximise dynamic range and to avoid pops due to DC offsets in the recorded audio. The filter
must be turned off in order to use the input for CV.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”