Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Rob303
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Rob303 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 pm

@Cameron, latest I've heard is that the next shipment will be mid July and that was from a shop in the UK :| Let me know if you find anything in Aus, I'm pretty desparate to get my hands on one!!

Cameron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cameron » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 pm

Rob303 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 pm
@Cameron, latest I've heard is that the next shipment will be mid July and that was from a shop in the UK :| Let me know if you find anything in Aus, I'm pretty desparate to get my hands on one!!
@Rob303 - I hear you! Everything is uncertain in these strange days but the good thing is if these issues are all we have to worry about, then we are most likely very fortunate! 🙂

Cameron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cameron » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:38 pm

So the latest shipment from Expert Sleepers has arrived at my favourite local modular store in Melbourne but sadly no ES-9s with that shipment :eek: . Super Disting EX yes, which is nice and now in my rack but oh boy would I love to get my hands on an ES-9 one day! :waah:

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Cameron wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:38 pm
So the latest shipment from Expert Sleepers has arrived at my favourite local modular store in Melbourne but sadly no ES-9s with that shipment :eek: . Super Disting EX yes, which is nice and now in my rack but oh boy would I love to get my hands on an ES-9 one day! :waah:
I know your pain - I placed a pre-order for the ES-9 over 2 months ago. The arrival date started at as 'late May', to 'early June', to 'June', to 'late June' to 'early July' and is now listed as July...

Asking on the Expert Sleepers forum here hasn't exactly been fruitful.

What do you guess? Do you think I'll see it in 2020?

Cameron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cameron » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Asking on the Expert Sleepers forum here hasn't exactly been fruitful.

What do you guess? Do you think I'll see it in 2020?
I hope we will both see one in 2020, but as I have mentioned before, these are very much minor problems in these strange times.
Regarding asking here, yes... the silence is deafening! 🤫

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:21 am

Cameron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm
I hope we will both see one in 2020, but as I have mentioned before, these are very much minor problems in these strange times.
Regarding asking here, yes... the silence is deafening! 🤫
That wide perspective is a great thing to keep in mind during all of this, of course.

I guess my related perspective is that in these strange times, many people don't have much money to spend, so a purchase like the ES-9 is a big deal that at least merits an occasional update. Especially if you're using your limited funds to support a small manufacturer.

I'd be fine with "Hey, we're trying - it's hard these days." It doesn't take much.

51u6d15c0
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface / alternative ways of connecting

Post by 51u6d15c0 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:52 am

Hallo there.
My goal is to connect the modular with Ableton's CV tools via the ES-9, or 8 or possibly 3. Sadly, I'm already maxed out on USB or ADAT ports on my main interface, RME 802. But I would need the ES-9 to be synced to the 802 in some way, right?
Would it work to connect the 802's AES/EBU (XLR) port -- which can output S/PDIF -- to the Toslink port of an ES-9 (S/PDIF as well), or another ES interface? If so, are there adapters that can do this? The only one I found that looks sort of right might not work as it's a Dante Toslink so I'm wondering if an S/PDIF version exists... https://www.thomann.de/gb/amphenol_amph ... s3_i_o.htm
Has anyone tried something like that, linking up an ES interface with S/PDIF connection from another interface?
Or can USB achieve this?
Then again, Ableton only permits one interface under windows, correct? :hmm: What would be the most promising and foolproof way to make it all work?
I might be missing something important.
Sorry, I'm slightly noobish and confused on this, so would be thankful for any help really. Hopefully this hasn't been covered elsewhere already.
Thanks in advance.

note!

Post by note! » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm

I pre-ordered one a while back from Perfect Circuit. No news yet. Hoping within 2020 at this point.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm

Hey lads, I have got a few questions regarding the ES-9, I went through the whole thread but could not find the answers I am looking for!
I read already that the ES-9 can be a stand-alone audio interface so, here the first questions: could i use it instead of my Scarlett? and in this case, is it possible to input a sound source and output it directly to the speakers? and do I need a mixer/attenuator to lower the hot levels from a modular synth or will it already normalize all the inputs levels itself?
The next and also last questions are about the ES-9 interfaced with a DAW: if I want to record my modular synth in Ableton, in order to use its effect and then mix the track, do I need CV Tools? or can I just set the interface in a channel as an external instrument and record from there?

Thanks in advance for any reply, you’ll have a beer paid! Cheers :guinness:

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:39 pm

shize312 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm
Hey lads, I have got a few questions regarding the ES-9, I went through the whole thread but could not find the answers I am looking for!
I read already that the ES-9 can be a stand-alone audio interface so, here the first questions: could i use it instead of my Scarlett? and in this case, is it possible to input a sound source and output it directly to the speakers? and do I need a mixer/attenuator to lower the hot levels from a modular synth or will it already normalize all the inputs levels itself?
Yes you can send audio out, at least on my windows pc it works well. You can use the internal mixer to send audio directly in the ES-9. No issues about hot euro signal.

shize312 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm
if I want to record my modular synth in Ableton, in order to use its effect and then mix the track, do I need CV Tools? or can I just set the interface in a channel as an external instrument and record from there?
Yes you can input what you wish even with no cv tools. It works like any other audio interface
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

tthogs
Common Wiggler

Post by tthogs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Anyone else experiencing this? With nothing plugged into the es9, if i just virtually plug the first 4 "from device" outputs into any initialized 4 oscillators in vcv rack, they are detuned and dont track v/oct properly. I get the same detuning using "merge" and a "polyphonic" cable into any of the poly enabled modules too. Sure i can tune each oscillator in vcv but the tracking is barely useable within one octave.

Is there a calibration procedure for the es9? I have the dc blocking off of course. I dont know what im missing here? Ive tried to feed the es9 signal from both a tetrapad with tete in chord mode and the 2 outputs of intelligel scales, same result. Any help would be rad thanks!

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 am

tthogs wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Anyone else experiencing this? With nothing plugged into the es9, if i just virtually plug the first 4 "from device" outputs into any initialized 4 oscillators in vcv rack, they are detuned and dont track v/oct properly. I get the same detuning using "merge" and a "polyphonic" cable into any of the poly enabled modules too. Sure i can tune each oscillator in vcv but the tracking is barely useable within one octave.

Is there a calibration procedure for the es9? I have the dc blocking off of course. I dont know what im missing here? Ive tried to feed the es9 signal from both a tetrapad with tete in chord mode and the 2 outputs of intelligel scales, same result. Any help would be rad thanks!
If you are using the ES-9 for cv have you turned off the DC Blocking filters for the channels that you are using?

tthogs
Common Wiggler

Post by tthogs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:46 am

virtualpt wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 am
tthogs wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm

If you are using the ES-9 for cv have you turned off the DC Blocking filters for the channels that you are using?
Yes I've turned off DC blocking. I've tried using VCV on my mac and on my PC. I've tried re-routing the ES9's inputs and they all do the same detuning thing. Just the raw inputs with nothing patched into them, when i use them in vcv rack, they aren't all the exact same voltage. Its so weird there is nothing patched.

tthogs
Common Wiggler

Post by tthogs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:37 am

Hey all i feel the need to clear this up a bit. Turns out the ES9 isnt hardware calibrated so you can use plugins like "voice controller" to calibrate its ins and outs. I got a suggestion from the vcv forum to simply use a quantizer directly out of the es9 and its working for me at this point.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:34 pm

tthogs wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:37 am
Hey all i feel the need to clear this up a bit. Turns out the ES9 isnt hardware calibrated so you can use plugins like "voice controller" to calibrate its ins and outs. I got a suggestion from the vcv forum to simply use a quantizer directly out of the es9 and its working for me at this point.
Glad you got to the bottom of it & thanks for sharing the solution :)

note!

Post by note! » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am

Any news on new shipments? I have a pre-paid, pre-order shaped hole in my wallet?

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:31 am

Hi os,
is there any possibility to open the config tool in Chrome on an iPAD? I could not figure it out.
Thanks in advance!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:42 am

I don't think Chrome supports MIDI on iOS.

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Does it also change modular level to line level?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 am

The ES-9 works at modular level. What is it you want to do exactly?

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm

os wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 am
The ES-9 works at modular level. What is it you want to do exactly?
Thanks for the reply!
I would like to know if it's possible to send, for example, a VCO output straight to the ES-9 and then from the ES-9 to the speakers without passing through a VCA or an attenuator?

Cheers

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 pm

The ES-9's main outputs are designed to be connected directly to speakers (or a mixer, etc.).

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm

os wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:01 pm
The ES-9's main outputs are designed to be connected directly to speakers (or a mixer, etc.).
Hi os, thanks! that's why my question; do i need an attenuator or will the ES-9 attenuate the inputs itself?

ForeignKeys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ForeignKeys » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Still hoping to get my hands on one of these sometime in the next year...

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:37 am

@shize312 The ES-9's inputs handle modular level signals directly.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”