Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by Jaypee » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 am

LATENCY!

I changed a lot of my setup the past year, and I'm having hard time trying to identify where the latency problem comes from.

I use ABLETON. ABLETON sends clock to USAMO. USAMO send clocks to CIRKLON.
I tried to do this test to bypass USAMO and CIRKLON and just send a trigger from ABLETON through ES-9 output and record it through ES-9.
The more I add (audio) tracks to ABLETON the more latency I have. I didn't have this problem when using the very cheap MiniDSP ADAT and ES-3/ES-6. It run TIGHT. I could send trigger in a middle of a session and I didn't have any latency. Now I can't do this anymore :(

Anyone experienced the same?
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

paosciante
Common Wiggler

Post by paosciante » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:44 am

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the clicky sound you get everytime you start any app with ES9 connected? I have seen it mentioned in several threads and forums. Like for example, whenever I open my DAW, I will hear a click/high pitched pop on my speakers.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:20 am

Im really ejoying mine with an ipad and Aum! Perfect portable combo!
I have a also been trying it with mirack and the expert sleepers es5 / es8 modules, working great.
One thing i cannot figure out, the headphone pot seems to have a push function too, what is it for?
Congrats Os!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:37 am

the user manual wrote: The knob also has a push-button function, but this is unused in this firmware revision.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:41 am

os wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 am
MATSmile wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:49 pm
Curious if you can use ES-9 as a standalone mixer in a 'standalone mode' while controlling channel's volume with external MIDI device.
At the moment the mixer can be controlled via SysEx. I plan to add CC control of the mix at some point.
Hi os - I'd be interested to hear if you've made any progress with CC mix control.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:53 am

os wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:48 am
Beta: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=226245&start=25#p3333418
:party: This excites me.

RichyHo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by RichyHo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:31 am

tonefloat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:13 pm
:tu:
os wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 am
There will be ES-9s before November.
MattTech (UK) has one in (B-Stock) if that helps anyone? - https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/es-9-b-stock/

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:39 am

There's also one in the FS/T thread... viewtopic.php?f=74&t=237196

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 am

RichyHo wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:31 am
tonefloat wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:13 pm
:tu:
os wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 am
There will be ES-9s before November.
MattTech (UK) has one in (B-Stock) if that helps anyone? - https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/es-9-b-stock/
Thanks! I sure do - very minor marks (slight "dinks") on the white painted section of the faceplate. A customer used it for one day and decided he wanted outboard mixing instead of using the software ES-9 mixer, so returned it. I'm not even sure if those marks were already on it previously, as I don't have another one here to compare against....but just in case I reduced it a bit :party:

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 pm

This worked really well so I figured I'd share. I made an "ES-9 Companion" that connects my ES-9 to my Studiolive 16.4.2 mixer via the inserts. The unit has 14 channels, each with a 1/4" TRS jack, two 1/8" jacks, and a switch. The tip (send) is connected to the first 1/8" jack, and the ring (return) is connected to either the second 1/8" jack or directly to the tip, depending on the position of the switch.

When the tip and ring are connected to each other, I have the audio going straight from the mixer's preamp to the ES-9 for recording as well as the audio returning to the mixer for monitoring. When the ring is connected to its own jack, I can send audio from the ES-9's outputs straight into a mixer channel for re-amping through my 90's rack gear.

It's the best of both worlds; I have all the preamps, aux sends and submixes that I've gotten used to using on the Studiolive plus the DC-coupled USB-C interface of the ES-9. My line-level rack gear, my Eurorack modular, and my computer are fully interlinked! :omg: I can only record 14 tracks at once instead of the 32 potential simultaneous tracks on the Studiolive, but in actuality I never record more than ten or twelve tracks at a time so it really doesn't matter. The preamps on the mixer easily boost any audio up to the point that it'll clip the ES-9 inputs (which is loud AF) and if I want to use the mixer's built-in compression and EQ, all I do is take the audio from one of the submix outputs instead of the channel's insert. So, basically, if anyone is wondering if the ES-9 works as a "normal" audio interface for line and mic signals, the answer is yes.
Attachments
0908201901_HDR 2.jpg

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 am

This interface looks incredible... Wondering when the next batch will be sent to EU sellers (Thomann / SchneidersLaden etc)?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 am

Expecting some next week.

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:27 am

os wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 am
Expecting some next week.
:woah: :hail:

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Hey everyone, today i've finally got in the ES-9!
I managed to configured it both as usb device and standalone but i am curious how's you standalone configuration? Do you have any screens? Via pm is also okay!
Cheers

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm

hi,

I'm a very happy customer of the es-9.

But now I've got a problem which isn't necessarily a fault of the interface, but I'm not sure.

I got a 12 Channel setup in reaper on windows 10. When I "record arm" all the channels for input level metering everything works as it should (tested many hours). But when I record after maximum 2 minutes the device is closed as it is shown by the software and recording stops. Then the audiodevice toggles between ready and not ready. I've tried 2 different USB cables.

16gb RAM
intel sandy bridge i7 CPU
I'm using 96 kHz maximum sampling rate and "safe mode"

The fact that the metering works uninterrupted makes me think that the problem isn#t caused by the es-9 because I guess it makes no difference to the interface if recording is enabled or not. But my understanding of these things is limited.

It would be a great help if some wigglers could give me hints on what could go wrong and what I could try to get rid of the problem.
is a more expensive usb cable worth it?

thanks in advance

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 pm

I did have one usb cable that kept making my ES-9 lose its connection, but it would just randomly disconnect and reconnect every 20-30 seconds regardless of what was happening on the computer. And actually that was a really nice cable and the one from my wife's phone charger works perfectly.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 pm

MvK wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm
hi,

I'm a very happy customer of the es-9.

But now I've got a problem which isn't necessarily a fault of the interface, but I'm not sure.

I got a 12 Channel setup in reaper on windows 10. When I "record arm" all the channels for input level metering everything works as it should (tested many hours). But when I record after maximum 2 minutes the device is closed as it is shown by the software and recording stops. Then the audiodevice toggles between ready and not ready. I've tried 2 different USB cables.

16gb RAM
intel sandy bridge i7 CPU
I'm using 96 kHz maximum sampling rate and "safe mode"

The fact that the metering works uninterrupted makes me think that the problem isn#t caused by the es-9 because I guess it makes no difference to the interface if recording is enabled or not. But my understanding of these things is limited.

It would be a great help if some wigglers could give me hints on what could go wrong and what I could try to get rid of the problem.
is a more expensive usb cable worth it?

thanks in advance
I think this may be a problem with Windows turning off the USB ports to save power. There are numerous reports & solutions for this, try a search for Windows turning off USB ports & try the solutions.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 pm
I think this may be a problem with Windows turning off the USB ports to save power. There are numerous reports & solutions for this, try a search for Windows turning off USB ports & try the solutions.
thanks! But is that also the case in desktop PCs? I thought these power saving things are only present in laptops?

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm

MvK wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 pm
thanks! But is that also the case in desktop PCs? I thought these power saving things are only present in laptops?
Sadly no. I’ve had this happen both places. Can’t remember the fix but it can be fixed.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:21 am

os wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 am
Use the configuration tool to change which USB channels correspond to which inputs/outputs.

No idea why your ES-9 would be called "8". Is this on mac or pc?
I use windows to update it but mainly use it with an iPad Pro (USB-C).

tonefloat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonefloat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Possible stupid question; but does the ES-9 come with a USB C cable in box?

shize312
Common Wiggler

Post by shize312 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:23 pm

tonefloat wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 pm
Possible stupid question; but does the ES-9 come with a USB C cable in box?
No pal!

tonefloat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tonefloat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Merci!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”