Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by os » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:47 am

It would probably be better for you to get the ES-3 & ES-6 modules, which will connect to your Saffire via ADAT.

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Ok, we got a problem here.

My ES-9 is no longer accessible from my Windows system...

What I did today:
- I had some problems with Ableton CV tools
- apart from that, everything was working perfectly
- I used my ES-9 over months and months as my main audio interface right into Ableton
- today I checked the Expert Sleepers website and downloaded the driver for the ES-9
- installed the driver
- installed the Silent Ways VST3 (to solve my CV tools issue)
- Rebooted
- ES-9 is gone
- Windows can´t find it properly
- Ableton can´t find it any longer as an ASIO device

But the ES-9 is somehow there in the device manager...

And in Ableton I can only see it under the MME/Direct X devices

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 am

Quick update on my issue: I followed this guideline from Ableton https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... L-Windows-

The good news is: I have a connection to the ES-9 again now.
The bad news is: This connections runs now exclusively through the Asio4all drivers. So even if Ableton now works, I cannot change the settings within Windows 10. This leads to Ableton using the device exclusively.

I guess I still appreciate some help here to sort things out. Thank you

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:29 am

Thank you Os. Going back to 4.82 solved all the issues 4.86 created.

kanstraktar
Common Wiggler

Post by kanstraktar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi, are there any modules coming to thomann soon? Thanks

tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:32 pm

T makes sales of a billion a year while others go bankrupt. Nevermind, let's have some Happy Meal in the meanwhile.

kanstraktar
Common Wiggler

Post by kanstraktar » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 am

Wow thanks for your assumptions. Enjoy your happy meal!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Apologies in advance if this has all been answered, but I only just discovered this device now. I have some rather specific questions:

1. I own two Roland M-1000 digital line-mixers which accept either x4 S/PDIF coaxial-inputs or x1 TOSlink and x3 coaxial S/PDIF inputs. Since S/PDIF only supports a single 44.1/16 stereo-pair, I would only be able to receive two channels via the ES-9's single TOSlink output. Is this correct?
2. I would use this primarily as I/O from my modular-rig to Apple Logic Pro on running on an iMac. If using a USB cable/port as the primary connection (since I assume TOSlink will only send two audio channels), does Logic recognize the datastream as 14 independent channels (i.e., assignable to 14 discrete tracks)?
3. Just to clarify, both macOS and iOS devices do NOT require any specific drivers for this to work, correct?
4. Has this been tested yet with macOS 11.0 (Big Sur) and Apple Logic Pro 10.6?

Thanks!

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. not sure

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 am

studio460 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:03 pm
Apologies in advance if this has all been answered, but I only just discovered this device now. I have some rather specific questions:

1. I own two Roland M-1000 digital line-mixers which accept either x4 S/PDIF coaxial-inputs or x1 TOSlink and x3 coaxial S/PDIF inputs. Since S/PDIF only supports a single 44.1/16 stereo-pair, I would only be able to receive two channels via the ES-9's single TOSlink output. Is this correct?
2. I would use this primarily as I/O from my modular-rig to Apple Logic Pro on running on an iMac. If using a USB cable/port as the primary connection (since I assume TOSlink will only send two audio channels), does Logic recognize the datastream as 14 independent channels (i.e., assignable to 14 discrete tracks)?
3. Just to clarify, both macOS and iOS devices do NOT require any specific drivers for this to work, correct?
4. Has this been tested yet with macOS 11.0 (Big Sur) and Apple Logic Pro 10.6?

Thanks!
I’m using an ES-9 with Logic Pro 10.6 on Big Sur and haven’t had any issues but I am doing really basic stuff.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 am

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. not sure
Awesome! Thank you!
AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 am
I’m using an ES-9 with Logic Pro 10.6 on Big Sur and haven’t had any issues but I am doing really basic stuff.
Excellent! Thank you!

Wow! This is clearly a hugely powerful capability, and for macOS users, apparently, seamless. A bit pricey, but it provides unique capability that multiplies the power of modular, by, uh . . . 14!

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:22 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 am
fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:26 pm
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. not sure
Awesome! Thank you!
AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 am
Excellent! Thank you!

Wow! This is clearly a hugely powerful capability, and for macOS users, apparently, seamless. A bit pricey, but it provides unique capability that multiplies the power of modular, by, uh . . . 14!
It’s so smooth. Plug and play, no software required. It even works on M1 Macs. Meanwhile, I still can’t install the software for my Apollo.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:34 pm

So I got an ES-9 yesterday.

I mostly got it for the purpose of multi-tracking, with a thought or two toward trying VCV rack and M4L CV Tools/etc.

What I wasn't prepared for was the almost instant eureka moment of running VSTs out of it through my modular back into Ableton.

In any event, I've never felt more freedom and integration with my setup. Sending run-stop commands and CV clock (jittery as it may be) from Ableton to Pams is pure joy. But so easily and seamlessly running Diva into Blades and FX Aid...well, that's just changed the game in my corner of the universe.

I know the hardcore purists around here are anti-ITB sound generation, but this is special for me. Fusing the two things together might actually, finally, get me making some tracks I really like. So, thanks to Expert Sleepers for making a product that has me feeling like this awful year might not have been so bad after all!

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:32 am

Just ordered this. I'm psyched to run audio from my ipad through some analog bits. One thought: I don't really need 14 inputs, but some extra dc outputs would have been useful.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:37 am

Does anybody know if I could get 16 channels out of Audulus using an es9 with the es5 expander?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:41 am

AFAIK Audulus doesn't support the necessary encodings for the ES-5. However an ES-8 plus ES-3 would give you 16 outputs from Audulus no problem.

AndiSt
Common Wiggler

Post by AndiSt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:06 am

How do I configure an ES-9 in Presonus Studio One on Windows 10? I seem to get only L and R inputs...
es9.jpg
Last edited by AndiSt on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:13 am

Maybe click one of the 'Add' buttons?

AndiSt
Common Wiggler

Post by AndiSt » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 am

os wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:13 am
Maybe click one of the 'Add' buttons?
...correct - add inputs, and then don't get distracted by default labelling conventions in Studio One... :roll:

AndiSt
Common Wiggler

Post by AndiSt » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 am

The sound quality of the ES-9 is very good. Suggestion for a future firmware update (if possible): visual indication that inputs are clipping (inputs hitting the upper limit). Clipping is generally not an issue with the ES-9, but when jamming on a modular, it can happen. For modular, 32-bit float would be perfect, but this might nbe something for a mark II...

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm

AndiSt wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 am
The sound quality of the ES-9 is very good. Suggestion for a future firmware update (if possible): visual indication that inputs are clipping (inputs hitting the upper limit). Clipping is generally not an issue with the ES-9, but when jamming on a modular, it can happen. For modular, 32-bit float would be perfect, but this might nbe something for a mark II...
Maybe clipping could be indicated by having the LED blink rapidly for a second or two. I would really love such a feature.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 am

I'm having a problem connecting my es9 to my ipad air 4th gen. Sometimes the ipad recognises it, sometimes it does not. It just seems to be at the whim of the ipad. Changing apps or going into sleep mode can disconnect it, then it will only come back at a seemingly random time of the ipad's choosing. It's connected directly via the brand new USB-c cable coming out of the brand new ipad going into the brand new es9. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm in touch with Os via email who is very responsive but thought I'd reach out here as well because I really need a solution quickly. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

AndiSt
Common Wiggler

Post by AndiSt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:27 am

fruitsnake wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm
AndiSt wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 am
Maybe clipping could be indicated by having the LED blink rapidly for a second or two. I would really love such a feature.
Yes, this is what I have in mind: blue flashing when signal OK, red flashing when cipping.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”