Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by BaloErets » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:01 am

AndiSt wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:27 am
fruitsnake wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:13 pm
AndiSt wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:12 am
The sound quality of the ES-9 is very good. Suggestion for a future firmware update (if possible): visual indication that inputs are clipping (inputs hitting the upper limit). Clipping is generally not an issue with the ES-9, but when jamming on a modular, it can happen. For modular, 32-bit float would be perfect, but this might nbe something for a mark II...
Maybe clipping could be indicated by having the LED blink rapidly for a second or two. I would really love such a feature.
Yes, this is what I have in mind: blue flashing when signal OK, red flashing when cipping.
I think it would be really cool to have the option where an input or output flash red continuously when they are clipping and don't go back to showing the normal CV values until they are not longer clipping.

Not sure I can see the benefit to have a continuous flashing colour to indicate that the signal is ok. In the sense that you already have that information if the signal is not clipping. In other words; if input/output is not flashing red, then you already know the signal is ok.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:59 pm

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 am
I'm having a problem connecting my es9 to my ipad air 4th gen. Sometimes the ipad recognises it, sometimes it does not. It just seems to be at the whim of the ipad. Changing apps or going into sleep mode can disconnect it, then it will only come back at a seemingly random time of the ipad's choosing. It's connected directly via the brand new USB-c cable coming out of the brand new ipad going into the brand new es9. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm in touch with Os via email who is very responsive but thought I'd reach out here as well because I really need a solution quickly. Any insight would be highly appreciated.
I bought a very nice ($50) USB-c cable that was intended for use on photo shoots where you want to link the camera to your computer: beefy, high data speed and all that - sounds good right? For whatever reason, when connected to the ES9 that cable would cause the computer to constantly disconnect and then reconnect with the ES9, like about every 5 seconds. I bought a different brand cable with similar specs and it works perfectly. Also my wife's crappy phone charger cable works fine, although it causes massive latency if you're monitoring through the DAW. So maybe just try a bunch of different cables?

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:57 am

fruitsnake wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:59 pm
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 am
I'm having a problem connecting my es9 to my ipad air 4th gen. Sometimes the ipad recognises it, sometimes it does not. It just seems to be at the whim of the ipad. Changing apps or going into sleep mode can disconnect it, then it will only come back at a seemingly random time of the ipad's choosing. It's connected directly via the brand new USB-c cable coming out of the brand new ipad going into the brand new es9. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm in touch with Os via email who is very responsive but thought I'd reach out here as well because I really need a solution quickly. Any insight would be highly appreciated.
I bought a very nice ($50) USB-c cable that was intended for use on photo shoots where you want to link the camera to your computer: beefy, high data speed and all that - sounds good right? For whatever reason, when connected to the ES9 that cable would cause the computer to constantly disconnect and then reconnect with the ES9, like about every 5 seconds. I bought a different brand cable with similar specs and it works perfectly. Also my wife's crappy phone charger cable works fine, although it causes massive latency if you're monitoring through the DAW. So maybe just try a bunch of different cables?
Thanks for the tip (similar to what Os suggested over email) - this seems to be the way
I bought a USB hub and a cheap USB c to USB a lead from amazon (sorry), and the problem has mostly gone away
It's worth noting that the es9 actually deals in usb 2 protocol (despite the c type connection)... So I'm going in to the type 2/a connection on the hub
Much better:)

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi all, quick question! Does anyone use (or know if it's possible to connect) the Michigan Synth Works F8R bank, via the midi breakout behind the panel to the ES-9? I'm looking into adding a F8R to interface with Ableton cv tools. But would love to know if it's possible to go the midi route as well.

nondes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nondes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:40 am

This may have been asked already, but I'm trying to use ES-9 to sequence an analog oscillator, using an iPad with miRack. I'm sending CV out of the ES-9 into v/oct on the oscillator, but it's not tracking properly. I'm sending midi into miRack and using it to convert midi into CV. CV is going out through CV Output 1 into the v/oct on the oscillator, but it sounds off / out of scale. Is there a setting or something else, I may be missing?

Sequencing the oscillator with Poly2 is working correctly, where I'm using the same sequencer on the iPad, but using Poly2 to convert midi to CV.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:03 am

@plainjanefrancis Yes.

@nondes You need to use something to calibrate the connection e.g. Silent Way. https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/vcvrack_silentway.html

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:02 am

os wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:03 am
@nondes You need to use something to calibrate the connection e.g. Silent Way. https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/vcvrack_silentway.html
I don’t believe this is available in miRack atm?
Would it be possible to use a simple offset to account of the dc offset of the es-9s outputs? Sure it’s not going to fix poorly tracking oscillators but could be a quick fix for now?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:09 am

Yes, but more important would be to apply a slight scaling the the pitch CVs.

nondes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nondes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:08 am

Got it, thanks @os and @ronnieb. Is there a module in miRack/VCV that could be used in place of Silent Way for now?

onnurdark666
1-Post Wiggler

Post by onnurdark666 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:54 am

does anyone know if it's running on macOS Big Sur?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:04 am

onnurdark666 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:54 am
The ES-9 is class compliant so it certainly should. The ES-8 has been confirmed to work on Big Sur.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:29 pm

onnurdark666 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:54 am
Yes, I am using mine (currently only for inputs from modular to computer) in Big Sur on an M1 Mac without issue.

Since it’s class compliant all you have to do is plug it in and change your audio in/out settings.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 pm

This module just sounds too good to be true, especially for macOS users! Thinking of cancelling my WMD Performance Mixer pre-order and getting this instead.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:10 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 pm
This module just sounds too good to be true, especially for macOS users! Thinking of cancelling my WMD Performance Mixer pre-order and getting this instead.
It is. Changed everything for me. Merged my whole studio together. Highly recommend.

DukeOfPrunes
Common Wiggler

Post by DukeOfPrunes » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:46 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:10 am
studio460 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:05 pm
It is. Changed everything for me. Merged my whole studio together. Highly recommend.
Same here! It allowed me to tap in to my itb arsenal and save a bit of coin in the process. Not sure the ES-9 replaces the very tactile WMD performance Mixer though (if you have a good control surface, then you won't need the WMD Performance Mixer). As the old MW saying goes, you should get both!

Whatever os touches turns to gold as far as I'm concerned...

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:49 am

Hi,

is it possible to NOT route the audio back into the ES-9 after i sent the Audio into Ableton / my DAW?

i just want to use the 3,5mm headphone jack of my Laptop and not the Expert sleeper as final output

how would i achieve this?

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am

Dennis wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:49 am
Hi,

is it possible to NOT route the audio back into the ES-9 after i sent the Audio into Ableton / my DAW?

i just want to use the 3,5mm headphone jack of my Laptop and not the Expert sleeper as final output

how would i achieve this?
Gonna take a guess here since I think I understand but maybe not.

Are you Mac or Windows PC? If you’re on Windows you might need to create a composite device in ASIO4All that includes both your ES-9 and your laptop audio device.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:39 am

hey thanks for the fast response!

i'm afraid i use windows with the asio4all.... gonna search up if i can split the audio up there (maybe you can give me a hint in that regard)

i thought about using sound flower for splitting my audio up but im not sure if that would work. I never thought that working with multiple sound cards would be not possible / difficult to achieve

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:36 am

Hi Everyone, Just got started with my ES9 in Bitwig and VCV and everything seems really good in both of those, low latency and no problems... When using it as an ordinary audio interface in Windows 10 for listening to music, YouTube etc I get a short burst of white noise at the initialisation of each music or video, is this normal, can it be prevented?

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:55 am

Sorry its more of a click than a hiss!

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:45 am

Dennis wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:39 am
hey thanks for the fast response!

i'm afraid i use windows with the asio4all.... gonna search up if i can split the audio up there (maybe you can give me a hint in that regard)

i thought about using sound flower for splitting my audio up but im not sure if that would work. I never thought that working with multiple sound cards would be not possible / difficult to achieve
Heres a video. The spdif stuff is probably not as important for your use case, you just want both your pc audio and ES-9 audio configured in ASIO4ALL - you only will be recording with the es-9 not your built in pc audio device. Examples of the config screen are midway in:

I’ve set this up but really am not the expert to give you a step by step - I do trial and error but it’s not too hard for most devices.

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:26 am

Just got my ES-9 from Analoguehaven installed and I have not used it for euro yet (waiting on modules). But, I did use it as a normal windows sound card, and it's working perfectly. It's immediately replacing the gigantic card I have on my desk. Gonna keep the big on ein the garage just in case. But so far, pretty seamless and a seriously cool idea. Gonna load up VCV rack here soon. Really looking forward to it. No hisses or clicks when switching youtube videos or anything.

I did install the drivers from the ES site however. Before that, the device didn't work at all with the computer. Very easy, simple. If you're getting into modular/hardware and want a sound card, you'd never buy anything but the ES-9.
SunSpots

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:05 am

Right now I record from my Befaco Hexmix to my Babyface RME audio interface into Ableton DAW and it works perfectly and super easy. So, I am not sure if spending the cash on the ES-9 is really worth it to me at this point in time. Also considered the 4ms wav recorder then import from micro sd card to PC but again not sure as the same cash would buy me a cool granular looper type module like Nebulae, Arbhar, or Morphagene that would let me record incoming CV and rehash it for later use perhaps.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by SunSpots » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:18 am

Actually I spoke too soon... some youtube videos are clipping loudly with a pop at the beginning. Some aren't.
strange. if you have a solution please post it here, thanks
SunSpots

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:50 pm

The click is completely random using VLC - sometimes clicks sometimes not, really strange!
Maybe its only on windows!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”