Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by d2ba » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi whats the performance like with a long USB Type C cable? ---I need to use a 15 foot (4.6m) cable.

d2ba
Common Wiggler

Post by d2ba » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:42 pm

Hi also anyone tested ES9 with Pro Tools 2020
thanks in advance
David

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:29 pm

d2ba wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:41 pm
Hi whats the performance like with a long USB Type C cable? ---I need to use a 15 foot (4.6m) cable.
I'm using this 3m cable:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363072395071

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:14 am

Upgraded to the version 5 windows driver and the clicks are now very definitely every time I open a sound file or video. Do the apple linux users have this problem?

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:30 am

Lanky Skills wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:14 am
Upgraded to the version 5 windows driver and the clicks are now very definitely every time I open a sound file or video. Do the apple linux users have this problem?
I have the ES9 for a bit more than 2 weeks, used it a lot and I did not experienced click issues at all (I have a 2015 Macbook Pro)

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am

I booted ubuntu and still have the random clicks upon opening any sound so its not windows at least. Also tried on my laptop without the Expert Sleepers driver and it also clicks. Really disappointed, the ES-9 works fine once Bitwig or VCV is opened but as a general day to day audio device its unusable.

menagerie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by menagerie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Lanky Skills wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am
I booted ubuntu and still have the random clicks upon opening any sound so its not windows at least. Also tried on my laptop without the Expert Sleepers driver and it also clicks. Really disappointed, the ES-9 works fine once Bitwig or VCV is opened but as a general day to day audio device its unusable.
FWIW, I used to get clicks with my ancient Lexicon Omega when I had Renoise open and tried to play audio from other locations - I ended up fixing it by choosing the same audio device in Renoise, Foobar2000 and as a default for my browsers. This ... may not be the same issue though.

I'm still waiting on my ES-9 from MIDI Amsterdam though so I can't test this.

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:47 pm

No totally different, I can reboot the PC and I get a sharp click when opening any sort of sound source about 80% of the time, once its open it plays fine. I get the same click as I initialise ASIO from VCV or Bitwig, again everything runs very smoothly there after. I have ordered a extra Eurorack PSU to rule that out.

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:58 pm

koyl wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:30 am
Lanky Skills wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:14 am
I have the ES9 for a bit more than 2 weeks, used it a lot and I did not experienced click issues at all (I have a 2015 Macbook Pro)
So if you close your audio program and open youtube you dont get a click when you first start a video?

koyl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by koyl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm

I don't know actually because I only use the ES9 when I use the modular and DAW, and alongside my K-Mix (as an aggregated device). The K-Mix is the main output so anything not related to the DAW (YouTube or listening to music) don't go through the ES9 at all.

Nibson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nibson » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:31 pm

I'm looking to switch to an ES-9 from a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK. This might be a stupid question but would someone be able to confirm for me....

It's a 16in/out interface so that means maximum of 16 channels in operation in a given configuration at any one time? Can all 8 output channels be used be used simultaneously with all 14 input channels? So recording 14 tracks in a DAW whilst also using 8 channels for CV?

Currently on the MTK I lose 1 track to audio clock pulse and 1 stereo track as a return track from the computer so I'm left with 5 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks. This will be a worthwhile upgrade but if I do most things on the modular, separating wet and dry tracks into the DAW, then those 14 channels could get eaten up fairly quickly. There doesn't seem to be any way to expand the number of outputs. I guess this might be going slightly off topic but has this been a problem for anybody else? I guess the option then becomes getting a pricey audio interface/s.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:10 pm

All the inputs and outputs can be used simultaneously as you're describing; I've done it. However, if you want 16 inputs you'll need to make use of the lightpipe situation for inputs 15 and 16.

You totally can add outputs, I believe with an ES-5, and I think you can add several of them to create a massive beast with like 24 outputs. Someone corrects me if I'm wrong cause I haven't actually done that.

Lanky Skills
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lanky Skills » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 am

Fairly certain the optical inputs are plain SPDIF not lightpipe, previous Expert Sleepers interfaces did use ADAT lightpipe hence the confusion.

Nibson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nibson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:10 pm
All the inputs and outputs can be used simultaneously as you're describing; I've done it. However, if you want 16 inputs you'll need to make use of the lightpipe situation for inputs 15 and 16.

You totally can add outputs, I believe with an ES-5, and I think you can add several of them to create a massive beast with like 24 outputs. Someone corrects me if I'm wrong cause I haven't actually done that.
Thanks for clarifying.

I was aware I could add more outputs but inputs are capped. I don't think there is a route to expand and add more inputs. I'd have have to go down the audio interface route which is what I'm trying to avoid due to size/cost/usability. I currently record to a PC, not a Mac, so there's isn't a simple way to create an aggregate device. I won't use all the inputs initially but it's nice to know there are options for when that time comes. That door is closed with the ES-9 but you get a lot for a very reasonable price. So until I actually need the inputs this seems like the best option.

kobe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kobe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:20 pm

solved
Last edited by kobe on Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Post by ForAiur » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:17 pm

My ES-9 configuration tool isn't showing any states, it just says save to flash and restore from Flash. But I want to edit standalone settings. I have firmware 1.1.1 and I guess that means I also have the latest configuration tool because I can't find a solo version of that (and the Chromium version also doesn't show different places to save or restore to/from)

Also, an older problem, my ES-9 seems to change names. Now it is called "w - MIDI Out". It's a long time since it "called itself" ES-9 in the configuration tool and this is at least the 2nd name change it did to ... itself?

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 pm

can someone help me with the es-9 plus the OBS screencast software? I got it to work before but didn't store the settings.

I want to do a livestream and have the audio inputs 1&2 as live audio. No matter what I try in the configuration software it doesn't work. In OBS you can use the windows destop audio as audio source. There is a setting in the win 10 audio configuration where you can set the input of the audio interface as a source for desktop audio. That did the trick last time. But now I really don't know how to get this right.

Thanks

Thoow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Thoow » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 am

Just wondering: Can the ES-9 be used to create send and return tracks?

Looking at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQ6qFH1OtI it should be possible.
But how would you configure this (using Ableton)?

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Thoow wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 am
Just wondering: Can the ES-9 be used to create send and return tracks?

Looking at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQ6qFH1OtI it should be possible.
But how would you configure this (using Ableton)?
Very easy to set up and use it all the time.

Ableton Return track set with ES-9 output -> ES-9 output to input of your module -> module output back to ES-9 input -> Ableton audio track with the ES-9 input.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:33 am

MvK wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:25 pm
can someone help me with the es-9 plus the OBS screencast software? I got it to work before but didn't store the settings.

I want to do a livestream and have the audio inputs 1&2 as live audio. No matter what I try in the configuration software it doesn't work. In OBS you can use the windows destop audio as audio source. There is a setting in the win 10 audio configuration where you can set the input of the audio interface as a source for desktop audio. That did the trick last time. But now I really don't know how to get this right.

Thanks
got the solution. For OBS Studio there is an open source ASIO plugin. works perfect now.
Last edited by MvK on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:33 am

double post

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 pm

MvK wrote:
Try enabling "listen to this device" in windows sound control panel under ES-9 inputs. The same thing happened to me but on my focusrite, I haven't tried the ES-9 with OBS studio but it should allow OBS to recognize the inputs.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:24 am

nicholasponcedeleon wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:44 pm
MvK wrote:
Try enabling "listen to this device" in windows sound control panel under ES-9 inputs. The same thing happened to me but on my focusrite, I haven't tried the ES-9 with OBS studio but it should allow OBS to recognize the inputs.

thanks a lot. I got it to work now with an open source Asio plugIn for OBS. Seems very stable and the Audio latency is much better than before.

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 am

it seems to me that many problems i had in the last few days were due to a loose contact / defective contact with the USB-C socket in the expert sleepers... i bought it new and it always was kind of flimsy and feels wobbly.... i don't know if it is supposed to be that way?
if i don't move the cable around or touch it its very stable and no problems. sometimes if the cable is moved it will disconnect. have to try out a few other cables as well....

osten
Common Wiggler

Post by osten » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:52 am

Sounds like typical USB-C to me. God it really was a step backward.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”