Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Not sure how typical your situation is; I just wiggled my usb-c cable around pretty vigorously and it didn't interrupt the connection to ES9. Could be a bunk unit.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm

for some reason the midi part of my es-9 stopped working. it isn't available as a midi device in my programs anymore. tested with reaktor and reaper. Can't think of any reason or fix. Any idea?

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:20 pm

MvK wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:04 pm
for some reason the midi part of my es-9 stopped working. it isn't available as a midi device in my programs anymore. tested with reaktor and reaper. Can't think of any reason or fix. Any idea?
Mac or Windoze? Have you tried a different cable/different port?

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:06 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:20 pm

Mac or Windoze? Have you tried a different cable/different port?
its on windows.

port/cable: do you mean usb?

I have the expert sleepers midi I/O connected to the back of the es-9 also when I send midi to the es-9 I see the Midi-in status LED lit. Seems a software problem to me. Maybe I reinstall the firmware?

edit: i reinstalled the 1.1.1 firmware. didn't help

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 pm

Strange: After installation of the old 1.0.1 it worked again!

after that I went back to the new 1.1.1: midi is gone again.

now I'm on the old firmware again and have midi but of course want to use the latest FW. Maybe windows 10 somehow recognizes the 1.1.1 midi driver as corrupted and I have to reinstall the whole software again. For now it works but the switching sound from the es-9 when changing applications is far worse on 1.0.1.

Other than that I couldn't be more happy with the es-9

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:58 pm

I use Windows 10 and run midi through the ES9 all the time and I have never had any issues with the midi.

However, occasionally my computer will randomly stop recognizing the ES9 entirely until I restart both the ES9 and any programs that run audio or midi. This usually only happens when I open or close a program on my computer - and fairly infrequently at that - but I have had it happen in the middle of a take once.

edit: I use know I was using the 1.1.1 firmware for a while, but I think I actually have a beta version that I got from github....maybe? that gives you more mixer options and midi mapping, or something of that nature. I have a very set-and-forget approach to the ES9 configurator.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:00 pm

Try updating the config tool

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm

Confirmed: I am using 1.2.0 beta, but despite my best efforts I can't seem to figure out where I got the file from, nor can I locate the .dfu file on my computer. So basically I'm totally useless.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:41 pm

thanks, I've found 1.2.0 beta, installed it, again no midi. used the html config tool via chrome. back to 1.0.1, this time also there no midi, and a lot of audio drop-outs. Sometimes sound is gone, sometimes is sounds like a bitcrushed version of the sound.

next thing I'll try is to completely remove every driver, software etc. and reinstall completely. Something tells me I've got to remove it from the registry also, but don't know anything about that.

Steve Griff
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Steve Griff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 am

Hi, is it possible to use the ES9 headphone output without connecting to a computer? I have it connected to my Macbook and Ableton currently, but would also like to use my Eurorack case without any connections and use it outdoors. Best, Steve

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:33 am

Steve Griff wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 am
Hi, is it possible to use the ES9 headphone output without connecting to a computer? I have it connected to my Macbook and Ableton currently, but would also like to use my Eurorack case without any connections and use it outdoors. Best, Steve
Yes it is.

Nibson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nibson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:16 am

I purchased an ES-9 and wondered if anyone could help me understand something. I think I have used the configuration tool, firmware 1.1.1, to correctly set it up for both standalone and hosted. I have a PC and use Ableton as my DAW. I can record all tracks into Ableton and playback over the master channel etc so that's all good. The hosted configuration is basically the default config

However when recording in Ableton am I correct in saying in order to hear the output of the modular I would have to set monitor in Ableton to either "Auto" or "In" on each track I want to be able to hear whilst recording? Recording with monitor on adds latency to the recorded track that isn't present when recording with monitor off. But with monitor off there is no way I can actually listen to the output of the modular?

I guess I could record with 2 tracks for each input setting one to monitor off and the other to auto although this doesn't seem ideal. Am I misunderstanding something or is my setup incorrect? Any pointers would be appreciated.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:22 pm

Nibson wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:16 am
I purchased an ES-9 and wondered if anyone could help me understand something. I think I have used the configuration tool, firmware 1.1.1, to correctly set it up for both standalone and hosted. I have a PC and use Ableton as my DAW. I can record all tracks into Ableton and playback over the master channel etc so that's all good. The hosted configuration is basically the default config

However when recording in Ableton am I correct in saying in order to hear the output of the modular I would have to set monitor in Ableton to either "Auto" or "In" on each track I want to be able to hear whilst recording? Recording with monitor on adds latency to the recorded track that isn't present when recording with monitor off. But with monitor off there is no way I can actually listen to the output of the modular?

I guess I could record with 2 tracks for each input setting one to monitor off and the other to auto although this doesn't seem ideal. Am I misunderstanding something or is my setup incorrect? Any pointers would be appreciated.
I made a simple device that solves this issue by tapping into the inserts of a mixer, which actually gives you both zero-latency monitoring and the use of the mixer's preamps. There's a post explaining it on the 14th page of this thread. PM me if you want a drawing or something, but it's really the most basic thing possible. Works great tho!

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:49 pm

Ableton has a queue output, use that to route to your master/headphones out 1/2 of ES-9

Nibson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nibson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:29 am

nicholasponcedeleon wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:49 pm
Ableton has a queue output, use that to route to your master/headphones out 1/2 of ES-9

Even using the cue output you have to switch monitor to either input or auto and recording that track will result in the given track being recorded with latency.

I've setup a project template with a one group of 14 tracks that have monitor set to input and send to a send track and another group of 14 tracks set with monitor off that send to master. I use the first group to monitor and hear the mixed output but the second group to actually record. I can switch the off all the monitor tracks from the output by just muting the send track in Ableton. This way I can monitor and record with no latency but it's a bit clunky.

Mcduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mcduffie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Maybe I’m missing something basic, but the 3.5mm outputs 1-8 don’t seem to be working for me. I know that USB outs 9-16 are routed to those outs by default and that’s what I’m using to send audio via Ableton. Ableton sees the ES-9 and the right outs are enabled and selected and the little green signal indicator lights, but nothing from the ES-9. Main outs and headphone outs are working just fine. Inputs also seem to be fine.

Just recently switched to Big Sur. Not 100% sure it was working correctly before, but I think so.

I haven’t messed with the default configuration and the configurator tool shows the expected settings. Firmware 1.1.1

Any thoughts?

Mr. Pete
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:13 pm

-never mind- :hihi:
Last edited by Mr. Pete on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm

Mcduffie wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm
Maybe I’m missing something basic, but the 3.5mm outputs 1-8 don’t seem to be working for me. I know that USB outs 9-16 are routed to those outs by default and that’s what I’m using to send audio via Ableton. Ableton sees the ES-9 and the right outs are enabled and selected and the little green signal indicator lights, but nothing from the ES-9. Main outs and headphone outs are working just fine. Inputs also seem to be fine.

Just recently switched to Big Sur. Not 100% sure it was working correctly before, but I think so.

I haven’t messed with the default configuration and the configurator tool shows the expected settings. Firmware 1.1.1

Any thoughts?
Have you checked to see if Ableton is asking for additional access through System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy?

Mcduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mcduffie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:21 pm

AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm
Mcduffie wrote:

Any thoughts?
Have you checked to see if Ableton is asking for additional access through System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy?

Thanks for the suggestion. No, Ableton doesn’t seem to be asking for anything there.

Mr. Pete
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mr. Pete » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:41 pm

slight little caveat worth noting here, Steve:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=228973&p=3502259&h ... T#p3502259

just discovered this today after wondering why headphones out on my ES-9 weren't working as expected when everything else has been so flawless
Steve Griff wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 am
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:45 pm

Mcduffie wrote:

Any thoughts?
Do the led-rings around the jack show any activity if you have an output with audio playing?

Mcduffie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mcduffie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm

BaloErets, thanks.

No led-ring activity. First thing I looked for - plugging those outs into an old Mackie 1604 which has intermittency issues.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:22 pm

Mcduffie wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 pm
BaloErets, thanks.

No led-ring activity. First thing I looked for - plugging those outs into an old Mackie 1604 which has intermittency issues.
Would be nice to hear from someone that is using Big Sur and has a working ES-9. I'm on PC, so I am of no help there.

One way to check the outputs could be to use the configuration tool and setup the standalone state to have one of the ES-9's inputs routed to an output, and see if that creates any activity on the ES-9's outputs. That would at least help you to weed out if it's a problem with the ES-9, or if it's something to do with your system.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Mcduffie wrote:

Any thoughts?
Sometimes I have to restart Ableton after configuring the I/O for the ES-9.

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi all, sorrry if this has been answered before. Is there a way to add more audio outputs to the ES-9. Looking to integrate it further with VCV rack and more outs would be great. Thanks.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”