Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

SalvorHardin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SalvorHardin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:45 am

Because I want to hear my computer sound also, I usually multitask, get a patch going, then switch to the pc (where I need the audio) and all of that using the same Headphones.

On my previous setup I used to plug my modular directly in the line in of the PC Soundcard.

With the ES-9 I expected (naively) that when plugged by USB to the computer, it would also be outputing things by the USB to the computer audio

Also if I understand correctly, I could be using the ES-9 as my PC soundcard and plug my heaphones in the ES9, but that would mean having my rack open all the time :deadbanana:

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:24 am

With the ES-9 I expected (naively) that when plugged by USB to the computer, it would also be outputing things by the USB to the computer audio
That would be true if you weren't on Windows.
Also if I understand correctly, I could be using the ES-9 as my PC soundcard and plug my heaphones in the ES9
Yes.

SalvorHardin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SalvorHardin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:03 am

Ok so this is this issue of aggregated thing people complained about.. I also have a MBP with logic, but no space on desk and used to ableton, might give it a try later.

Anyway, not a real problem as even with all these loop and weird connections there is still 0 noise and great sound quality, thanks for your great crafts.

blakflag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blakflag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:37 am

ES-9 is looking awesome to me. One idea for the future would be an alternate interface for the mixer portion, so maybe you could plug it into a tablet via USB and turn the ES-9 into a killer performance mixer with an app. I hope this can be a module that will have a "long tail" for its ecosystem.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Can someone help clarify what the ES-9's S/PDIF connections are used for in laymens terms? Had a look at the manual but didn't really make sense of it.

Also, is there any way I can utilize the thunderbolts on my laptop with the ES-9?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:48 am

The S/PDIF connections let you connect other digital audio gear and input/output 2 channels of audio.

If it's Thunderbolt 2 you need a USB adaptor. Thunderbolt 3 is USB-C and so will plug directly into the ES-9.

Audiobender
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Audiobender » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:09 am

Question:

I'm still using an old macbook pro with usb-3 and thunderbolt-1 connections.
Are there adaptors to usb-c and will this work? Any tested recommendations?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:37 am

Just use a USB A-C cable e.g.

theotteryears
Learning to Wiggle

Post by theotteryears » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Is there a way to get more than the 14 inputs?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm

You have two more on the S/PDIF inputs.

Curious to know what you'd connect up to more than 14 inputs!

Waelter
Learning to Wiggle

Standalone/All-In-One Interface

Post by Waelter » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 am

Hello!

Cant find any useful information about using this as my only audio interface.
My setup contains a small modular setup and a drum machine with everything running through a DAW. Could I plug my drum machine in this and also use it for all sounds from my computer like iTunes or whatever? The missing output knob indicates that volume is adjusted via computer?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 am

Yes and yes.

The drum machine would come in a little quiet, not being modular level, but you could turn it up in the DAW.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm

os wrote:The S/PDIF connections let you connect other digital audio gear and input/output 2 channels of audio.
So a S/PDIF to 1/8" plug cable would work for an addition stereo in/out or does the connection have to be S/PDIF to S/PDIF to interface correctly?
os wrote:If it's Thunderbolt 2 you need a USB adaptor. Thunderbolt 3 is USB-C and so will plug directly into the ES-9.
Is there any benefits/added speed to using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) over normal USB-2/3 (adapter) in this case?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:19 am

So a S/PDIF to 1/8" plug cable would work for an addition stereo in/out or does the connection have to be S/PDIF to S/PDIF to interface correctly?
I'm not aware of such a thing as a 'S/PDIF to 1/8" plug cable'. You can use a stereo S/DPIF-to-analogue converter.
Is there any benefits/added speed to using Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) over normal USB-2/3 (adapter) in this case?
No.

variablewaveshape
Learning to Wiggle

Post by variablewaveshape » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Has anyone tried to rack one of these in a tip-top mantis? I’m highly interested but fear it’s too tight of a squeeze

Waelter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Waelter » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 am

os wrote:Yes and yes.

The drum machine would come in a little quiet, not being modular level, but you could turn it up in the DAW.
Sorry for being an amateur with my questions but it wont distort or anything if I turn the volume up for my drum machine in my DAW?

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:42 am

variablewaveshape wrote:Has anyone tried to rack one of these in a tip-top mantis? I’m highly interested but fear it’s too tight of a squeeze
No pb here.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Will these 3.5mm to MIDI DIN adapters work for outputting MIDI via the ES-9? How many will I be able to run simultaneously?

這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:01 am

No. The MIDI output from the ES-9 is via the breakout:

https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/dm4midibreakout.html

or one of the 3.5mm alternatives on the market e.g.

http://www.xoxomodular.com/midixo.html

or via the ES-5/ESX-8MD.

garretttterrag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by garretttterrag » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 am

Can anybody give me honest feedback on the audio quality when multi-tracking through the ES-9? Has anybody done any critical listening?

Not trying to throw shade at the ES-9, but I'm just curious about the converter quality/headroom/etc.... Frankly, I'd really love to be convinced so I can get rid of my apollo8 and replace it with the ES-9.

Thanks.

Fallingman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fallingman » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 am

Looking forward to ordering one!

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:55 am

Hello
Maybe someone can help me decide if this is the module I need. Im currently using an Apollo 8 as my audio interface to Ableton live. Im looking for a Eurorack module to send all my modules to different tracks in Ableton using one USB cable, but I would still want to use the Apollo for mic preamps, unison plugins, monitoring. Can I use both of these at the same time? Do I possible need another module? I basically want to have cable management and transfer to and from my DAW with one USB cable as opposed to running a cable for each track to my Apollo.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:08 am

garretttterrag wrote:Can anybody give me honest feedback on the audio quality when multi-tracking through the ES-9? Has anybody done any critical listening?

Not trying to throw shade at the ES-9, but I'm just curious about the converter quality/headroom/etc.... Frankly, I'd really love to be convinced so I can get rid of my apollo8 and replace it with the ES-9.

Thanks.
I'm listening in a great room (treated) and I can say i'm blown away by the AD/DA.

But don't believe me, Buy it, and sell your Apollo8 hehehe
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:22 am

Innerself2007 wrote:Hello
Maybe someone can help me decide if this is the module I need. Im currently using an Apollo 8 as my audio interface to Ableton live. Im looking for a Eurorack module to send all my modules to different tracks in Ableton using one USB cable, but I would still want to use the Apollo for mic preamps, unison plugins, monitoring. Can I use both of these at the same time? Do I possible need another module? I basically want to have cable management and transfer to and from my DAW with one USB cable as opposed to running a cable for each track to my Apollo.
If you have spare ADAT connections you might be better off looking at the ES-3/6.

Innerself2007
Common Wiggler

Post by Innerself2007 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:14 am

os wrote:
Innerself2007 wrote:Hello
If you have spare ADAT connections you might be better off looking at the ES-3/6.
Thanks for your help. Yes I believe I have spare ADAT connections on the back of the Apollo that I have never used. I will look into the ES-3/6

Return to “Eurorack Modules”