Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Overand
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Post by Overand » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:17 pm

erde wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:45 am
That’s amazing! Thank you very much!
I want to see (hear) you use your profile image here as an impulse response! Use one of those image-to-audio, reverse (?) FFT tools for it!
B84EF4A3-95E1-4A90-A6D0-78EC2255A824.jpeg
B84EF4A3-95E1-4A90-A6D0-78EC2255A824.jpeg (40.51 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Attributes:They/them, Queer, Enby, Poly*, Anti-hierarchy, Nature/Tech Weirdo
Sites: overand.com | SoundCloud | YouTube ModularGrid: Euro | MOTM
WTB: SynthTech E352/E370, Euro VCAs, Mixers, Env Followers
Building the modular since ~2003

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:07 am

Overand wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:17 pm
erde wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:45 am
That’s amazing! Thank you very much!
I want to see (hear) you use your profile image here as an impulse response! Use one of those image-to-audio, reverse (?) FFT tools for it!B84EF4A3-95E1-4A90-A6D0-78EC2255A824.jpeg
Hah! That actually sounds like a fun idea! I'll also include the compression artifacts from the JPG! When I'll get around to it I'll post it here :goo:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:32 am

tuj wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am
Hi all:

So I've had my Tasty Chips reverb for a while now. First off, awesome. Super awesome. Clearly the best reverb in eurorack, not even a question. The question is it better than VST's like Waves IR1? That's the serious question, and in some ways it feels better and sounds better. Compared to a rack unit like a PCM90/91 (of which I have one), the IR verbs are better. Tasty Chips is some serious beef. Not only is there the IR files, but there's also an envelope across the IR that allows you to tailor the reverb's response to your material better.

Headroom is generous and clipping is indicated by a 'C' on the display before it is audible. This suggests the ADC has at least *some* clean headroom. The input gain is pretty good, there are a few times where I had to add some gain from a VCA before the TC but most of the time I'm attenuating. The output signal also isn't super-hot, but I won't say it's weak. It's sort of in the middle, but then again euro audio levels vary a lot PtP. Generally not an issue.

I have been having the most fun using the dry knob at zero and putting it entirely wet. This is something I would rarely do with any other reverb, generally I like to run it as an Aux bus effect but the TC I actually like in serial much better.

But I imagine audio tells you volumes more than my drivel.

The first sound of the track is a Spectrum Osc into a Cynthia Saw animator and then to a 106 Chorus which makes it stereo. It then goes through a Rossum Morpheus and to two VCA's and last through the Tasty Chips running 'Terrys Warehouse' IR file. This is the first 50 seconds of the track and it's the TC on full wet with about -8dB of dry signal blended back.

Here's a video I made, just a phone mic.

Here's another that show's off the TC, again just a phone mic:

Overall if you want the best reverb and can fit this in your rack, the ECR-1 is it. Period. I don't even foresee anything beating this, maybe equalling it, but not surpassing, at least not easily. Convolution reverb has always been my jam and my collection of IR files on the computer for my VST's is vast so the TC is a natural extension to that into euro, and a very welcome addition as my favorite reverb. It's tremendous.
Completely agree with this. It's utterly fantastic. Nothing else in euro even comes close.

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 am

You convinced me, I bought it!
Here my first contact

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:15 am

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Got this bad boy today finally. It sounds excellent. Brief demo here. I first recorded a demo that I really liked, but it had lots of audio dropouts due to something with my computer, so had to do another recording, and this one wasn't quite as good. I've tried to find the more experimental IR's, but there are some regular ones in there too. I wish there were folders you could browse, but all IR's are in the root of the SD card, so it's a bit of a mess.

Here I'm just feeding it a very minimal percussion loop of sorts, and have the knobs set as per the Soundcloud image. So no CV'ing or knob twisting except for fading to wet from dry at the very beginning.

Anyways, it sounds exactly like you'd expect from a convolution reverb - it's excellent! I got most of these responses from a random guy on another forum (including lots of weird spaces and experimental stuff). They sound great. It's almost 3 gig worth of IR's, but if people are interested I could probably upload it somewhere. :)
Did you receive a usb stick with the unit or was it an sd? I received a usb stick which doesn’t seem to fit the front slot. How did you add IR’s to the device?

Thanks

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 am

magicdust wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:15 am
Daisuk wrote:
Got this bad boy today finally. It sounds excellent. Brief demo here. I first recorded a demo that I really liked, but it had lots of audio dropouts due to something with my computer, so had to do another recording, and this one wasn't quite as good. I've tried to find the more experimental IR's, but there are some regular ones in there too. I wish there were folders you could browse, but all IR's are in the root of the SD card, so it's a bit of a mess.

Here I'm just feeding it a very minimal percussion loop of sorts, and have the knobs set as per the Soundcloud image. So no CV'ing or knob twisting except for fading to wet from dry at the very beginning.

Anyways, it sounds exactly like you'd expect from a convolution reverb - it's excellent! I got most of these responses from a random guy on another forum (including lots of weird spaces and experimental stuff). They sound great. It's almost 3 gig worth of IR's, but if people are interested I could probably upload it somewhere. :)
Did you receive a usb stick with the unit or was it an sd? I received a usb stick which doesn’t seem to fit the front slot. How did you add IR’s to the device?

Thanks
I received a USB Stick with my unit and it also fit in the front slot. I have noticed there is a little bit of offset between the front panel and the connector, so maybe that's a problem that could be worse on other units?

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:43 am

magicdust wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Thanks
Mine came with an SD card with an SD card reader thingie that you plug into the USB-port. Like this one:

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:44 am

yep, mine too // it is indeed (sometimes) difficult to adapt/mate

lilskullymane
Common Wiggler

Post by lilskullymane » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:36 pm

anyone using this have experience with the hiss/hirt convolution stuff in max? love working with ir enough to justify the rack space but wondering what people are thinking who have used both.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:04 pm

erde wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 am
magicdust wrote:
Daisuk wrote:

Thanks
I received a USB Stick with my unit and it also fit in the front slot. I have noticed there is a little bit of offset between the front panel and the connector, so maybe that's a problem that could be worse on other units?
I managed to get it to fit. Reached out to support and they were super speedy and helpful. In the end it just needed a bit more force.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:06 pm

Just racked this up... HOLY NOISE FLOOR! The effects processing sounds beautiful, but the underlying circuit design is NOISY AF. Take the input down to Zero, and crank the channel to hear it... sounds like a digital paper shredder or coffee grinder. Oof. I understand that gain staging and etc would help, but that noise floor will still be in there.

I read something about a firmware update that went from 1.0 to 1.0.1 but I see no way to check Firmware version or any update info on their website. Any users able to confirm this noise floor observation?

*** Will say... it could be how it reacts to my power supply. But the noise is very different and more pronounced that what I hear in other digital fx modules... DLD, E520, etc. ****
Last edited by soundslikejoe on Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Here's a zip with the impulse responses. I found them somewhere online once upon a time, haven't been able to retrace where - so not trying to take any credit for any of these. :)

http://marsmelons.com/muffs/Impulses.zip
Just in case anyone's still looking for these - check link above to download some nice IR's.

soundslikejoe - I haven't really noticed much of a noise floor, but haven't really tested or listened for it either. Sure, you need to gain stage correctly and differently on every preset to not distort, but that's to be expected. Can't say it's been bothering me much at all!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:26 pm

you can check your FW if you hold shift for 5s
if nothing displays, you're still on FW 1.0 and thats noisy indeed
the new one is much much much better

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:33 pm

Just got the chip for the new firmware. Can confirm it is much better.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm

How do you get the new chip, and how do you install it? :)

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm
Email Tasty Chips. They will send it to you for free, as long as you return the old one!

The installation process is very easy. It's more like a card that's sitting in a slot on the back of the module. There's these little connectors that eject it and then you just slide in the new one.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:20 pm

wildfrontiers wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:14 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm
Email Tasty Chips. They will send it to you for free, as long as you return the old one!

The installation process is very easy. It's more like a card that's sitting in a slot on the back of the module. There's these little connectors that eject it and then you just slide in the new one.
Awesome - thanks! :tu:

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:22 pm

youkon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:10 am
You convinced me, I bought it!
Here my first contact

Cool jam! Good work Youkon. :tu:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:55 am

As it turns out, my unit shipped with 1.1 firmware, which explains why I didn't hear much noise. :)

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 am

Confirmed that my unit was firmware 1.0 and SUPER quick emails from Tasty Chips. Seems like my replacement will ship out today.

MAJOR KUDOS to Tasty Chips for making a beautiful thing, and going the extra mile to ensure it's the best it can be.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:05 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 am
Confirmed that my unit was firmware 1.0 and SUPER quick emails from Tasty Chips. Seems like my replacement will ship out today.

MAJOR KUDOS to Tasty Chips for making a beautiful thing, and going the extra mile to ensure it's the best it can be.
Totally agree with that. Cannot fault customer service and the unit is fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 pm

Firmware update received... installed... OMG! MAJOR improvement. Much louder output. Much much lower noise floor.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:35 pm

Did you guys buy this specifically for the purpose of being able to upload your own reverbs? Im just wondering how solid the reverbs that come with it are. Wanting to order a GR-1 and thinking about adding one of these to the order.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 am

i did buy it because i have shitloads (gn's!) of IR's
(and because of the specs of course)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:03 am

Any comment on how this compares to the Mungo c1 apart from it being stereo? Seems the c1 can do real-time convolution of two signals. I'm mostly interested in sound design purposes (so non-standard reverb IRs), and I don't see a good reason to buy a module unless the CV control of the parameters is good enough, flexible, and gives good results. Care to comment on that? Someone mentioned earlier about CV being a bit jumpy, or needing internal slew.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”