Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Post by joskery » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:08 pm

curious lack of demos... I found the examples on the TC page kind of odd. Would love to hear this go blade runner. And bonkers, for that matter.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm

It is great. Sounds fantastic. However, I’m getting some dodgy cycling digital noise from the module. Think probably because it’s in close proximity/shares a bus board with analogue modules. Anyone else experienced this/know how to remedy this issue?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 am

Upgrading to firmware 1.1 was a major help.... but the noise was still too present for me. Couldn't fix it without reworking my power. LIBB bus boards would help reduce the noise more.

LostForWords
Common Wiggler

Post by LostForWords » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Drowning in ECR-1 :D

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm

soundslikejoe wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 am
Upgrading to firmware 1.1 was a major help.... but the noise was still too present for me. Couldn't fix it without reworking my power. LIBB bus boards would help reduce the noise more.
Is it digital type cycling high pitched noise or more just noise floor for you?

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 am

magicdust wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:30 pm
soundslikejoe wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 am
Is it digital type cycling high pitched noise or more just noise floor for you?
Digital cycling. Sounded like a Raspberry Pi CPU crunching numbers. Definitely not a warm broadband hiss.

littlebear
1-Post Wiggler

Post by littlebear » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:56 am

Just got one of these beasties and loving it so far. I really like the "true stereo" reverbs that come loaded in the machine, like the Terry's Warehouse one. These seem to have four channels: L, R, L->R and R->L. Does anyone have any more information about this format? Is it just a standard WAV?

Interesting to note that Terry's Warehouse and some of the others like Hamilton Mausoleum are included in the "Real Spaces" folder of the ZIP download Daisuk linked to back in July... there are others in there that look to have four parts to them - like Terry's Typing Room! But they are in separate AIF files. Can I just jam them into a four-channel WAV? Well, I guess I'll try it and let you know :)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:26 am

yes you can

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Does anyone know what determines the ordering of files as they appear within the ecr-1 browser? They don’t seem to alphabetize.
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Good question!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:05 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:27 pm
Good question!
I asked Tasty Chips about this and this is what Pieter said:

“Excellent question! *looks in source code* It's "unsorted", the natural order in which the files are added, and depending a little on how the OS fills the gaps. You can use "ls -lf" on your Mac/Linux box to check this order. We should probably move on to something more understandable for non-robots ;) We'll try to add that in a new version.. And will also try to make a USB upgrade procedure (downloadable upgrades). Because shipping wares in COVID times is nuts :D

So looks like a terminal command to see the order, any smart people here that could explain if I can then edit the order using this process? Or should I just be patient for the next update?

Edit: does this mean I can add files one at a time to the SD card in the order I want and the browser will respect it? Guess I have to try...

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Let us know how it goes. For me the solution has been to only put a small amount of IRs at a time.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:08 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm
Let us know how it goes. For me the solution has been to only put a small amount of IRs at a time.
Copying them in order worked for me, instead of doing it manually I used this terminal command:

Code: Select all

rsync -rv /Downloads/impulses /volumes/RESPONSES
the source and destination should reflect the actual file path on your computer/external storage device

This technique copied the source folder onto the SD card, which made me concerned that it wouldn't work after moving them from that folder to the root of the SD card, but it did.

Photosinferno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Photosinferno » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Hi,
This was a quick play last night....can’t remember the name of reverb, but it was one of the built in ones.
Needless to say I’m very pleased with the unit, just what I was looking for 👍

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Best fucking reverb on the planet?

I was going to start a thread with the above title. Then I stumbled on this thread. I was totally planning on getting an E520 but upon closer inspection, reverb doesn't seem to be among its strengths. Since reverb is a crucial effect for most of my stuff (sound-effects/drones/spaceship engines, etc.), I wanted the best, and I think the ECR-1 is it. (Note that I much prefer to stay in-the-rack over any outboard or DAW-solutions.) Anything else come close?

I had deliberately avoided purchasing any effects modules, waiting instead for the E520. I almost bought a Tiptop Z-DSP v1 from another member and maybe would've been happy with just the effects on the Valhalla card, but someone beat me to the deal.

Shown below is my Bitbox where I have a lot of commercial sound-effects libraries (e.g., wind, rain, etc.), so those would likely be going through the ECR-1. Of course, my E352 would be another top-candidate for drenching in reverb. Then I have a lot of samplers and speech-generation modules, and those definitely would be going through the ECR-1. In fact, everything I have would benefit mostly from reverb-effects, as opposed to other time-based effects (e.g., chorus, flanging, phase-shifting, etc., the stuff that the E520 mainly does). Here's the part of the rack where the ECR-1 would go (previously reserved for the E520):

BlinkyLights
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:03 am

ErbeVerb is its own thing/sound, and uniquely badass. Read up about it's design/features, if you haven't yet.

Z-DSP and the cards, Valhalla/etc, are uniquely badass, also, (well, unique in eurorack. Valhalla OTB is great).

The Mungo and the ECR-1 are uniquely Convolution... (in eurorack, at least). Also badass, and incomparable.

I think it's a must, personally, an ECR-1, but accompanied by others, as blending Reverbs and variety are big, to me.

With your AXYS you can blend/crossfade four different Stereo Reverbs at once to get two sets of mixed-Verbs.

If, for example, you look at Reverbs by type - and there are a handful, you can cook up all manner of combos.

or whatever, but you have lots of options, a few unique...

Convolutions are dope. But don't replace everything, imo.

nicholasponcedeleon
Common Wiggler

Post by nicholasponcedeleon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:02 pm

magicdust wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm
I’m getting some dodgy cycling digital noise from the module. Think probably because it’s in close proximity/shares a bus board with analogue modules. Anyone else experienced this/know how to remedy this issue?
If you turn down the wet signal does it go away?

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am

you sure you have the latest FW ?

Hold down Shift [ ñ] for 5 seconds to show the firmware version. If it doesn’t show it, then it’s firmware 1.0 (shipped on only the very first units before May 2020). Note that v1.0 outputs at line level instead of at 10VPP Doepfer level. V1.1 has a higher SNR. Upgrade is recommended and free (if you send us back the old DIMM located at the back of themodule).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:23 am

By the way, what color is the panel? Is it off-white, pure-white, clear-anodized aluminum? It appears slightly off-white in most photos. I'll be ordering one as soon as I figure out how to do the bank transfer!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm

This module is great, but scrolling through tons of IR's is definitely the least charming feature of it. It would be so good if you could browse folders of IR's on it, for instance, and arrange them alphabetically or by file size or something.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm
This module is great, but scrolling through tons of IR's is definitely the least charming feature of it. It would be so good if you could browse folders of IR's on it, for instance, and arrange them alphabetically or by file size or something.
Yeah, I saw that discussion up-thread. Doesn't look pretty. That said, I would probably just end up using the stock IRs. I know it's not the same, but I'm so pleased with my new Eventide Blackhole pedal, I'm re-thinking my whole effects-chain. I think I may get the Source Audo Collider delay/reverb unit next instead. I dunno. I tried my new pedal on some modular stuff, and was taken a bit off-guard.

Then I tried it with my Prophet-6 and was blown the fuck away. That massive reverb really seems to benefit polysynths much better I think. For modular, probably the ECR-1 is the thing. Or even simpler reverbs for more subtle effects.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:02 pm

nicholasponcedeleon wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:02 pm
magicdust wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm
I’m getting some dodgy cycling digital noise from the module. Think probably because it’s in close proximity/shares a bus board with analogue modules. Anyone else experienced this/know how to remedy this issue?
If you turn down the wet signal does it go away?
No, why do you have a similar thing going on?

analogbrainsurgeon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by analogbrainsurgeon » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:37 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm
Yeah, I saw that discussion up-thread. Doesn't look pretty. That said, I would probably just end up using the stock IRs. I know it's not the same, but I'm so pleased with my new Eventide Blackhole pedal, I'm re-thinking my whole effects-chain. I think I may get the Source Audo Collider delay/reverb unit next instead. I dunno. I tried my new pedal on some modular stuff, and was taken a bit off-guard.

Then I tried it with my Prophet-6 and was blown the fuck away. That massive reverb really seems to benefit polysynths much better I think. For modular, probably the ECR-1 is the thing. Or even simpler reverbs for more subtle effects.
I've been following the thread because I'm curious about the ECR-1 and have yet to hear many users' experiences. I went with the E520 as a big effects module and have hope that other reverbs could be added in the future. If you don't mind going outside the rack and spending the cash, the Chase Bliss CXM 1978 is AMAZING!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am

Tasty Chips is working on a new FW which includes folders, should be due this year

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:07 am

wavejockey wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am
Tasty Chips is working on a new FW which includes folders, should be due this year
Nice! And you can update via USB? :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”