Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Post by Dark Barn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am

nikmettez wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 am
Got a tasty package in the mail today.

20200417_133930.jpg
So jealous! I ordered a day after and mine hasn’t shipped. Hope you’re loving it!
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review: Poetic_stere0

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:22 pm

damn i'm glad i saw this. they said they were gonna send out a notice when the order page went live. whoever got theirs, demos pls.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 pm

nikmettez wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 am
I'll try to record a patch with it over the weekend.
nice! i'm personally mostly interested in hearing more experimental impulse responses, not your typical reverb sounds, but using all different kinds of unexpected audio as impulse responses and hear what kind of results you get.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 am

i've got one ordered 17/4, it's got to be on it's way tomorrow
(they said 1 week production)

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:14 am

Mine shipped earlier this week. Now hoping for speedy postal service under the current climate..

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri May 01, 2020 7:33 am

Is there really only one demo of this out there? The demo is kind of useless as there's so much background noise and whatnot. I'd also like to hear how this sounds with weirder impulse responses. I've freed up space and cash for it, but don't want to order unless I know it's going to sound at least half decent (I expect it will, but don't want to splash the cash before I'm certain). :)

I just had a brief exchange with Tasty Chips, and apparently they're coming out with sound demos "very soon". :)

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm

loading mine up with these bad boys the second i get it racked:

https://inhalt.bigcartel.com/product/to ... -responses

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat May 02, 2020 7:01 am

nikmettez wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 am
I'll try to record a patch with it over the weekend.
Would love a short demo - just a short recording of a few examples, really! :) What's your impression of it? Does it sound similarly to a software convolution reverb? Any obvious limitations?

1kip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1kip » Sat May 02, 2020 5:01 pm

I am still waiting for mine but I am prepared to load it with Samplicity Bricasti M7 IRs:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190201211 ... responses/

I have also heard these which sound fabulous!
https://vintagesynthpads.com/ocart/impu ... _Responses

By the way, if someone has other ideas of IRs, it would be interesting to post them here :)

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat May 02, 2020 5:15 pm

1kip wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:01 pm
I am still waiting for mine but I am prepared to load it with Samplicity Bricasti M7 IRs:

By the way, if someone has other ideas of IRs, it would be interesting to post them here :)
I've had these for a while, and have used them with software convolution reverbs, they're ace.

http://www.diegostocco.com/rhythmic-convolutions-2/

Also, just interested in experimenting with it, making weird spaces by loading in stuff I've recorded around the house, for instance.

Ah, I'm dying to hear a demo of this thing, literally been hovering the mouse pointer over the "buy" button for a few days now, just want to properly hear it. :eek:

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Sat May 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Came this afternoon.

Quick sequence with Rings, since it's the only osc I had in the system. I'm enjoying it so far. I don't have any experience with software convolvers, so I can't compare. But the sound quality is very high. By default, there is lag and a recomputation time when you change same of the parameters. But there is an internal slew option, which at least makes it less jarring. Haven't tested CV yet. Really excited to get deeper with this thing. Didnt realize it could also record at the inputs.

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Sun May 03, 2020 4:44 am

I finally got round to record a few short demo's. 8-)

First one is a simple piano loop showing the foreground/background feature. This way you can crossfade between 2 IR's.

Next one is a drumloop with brushes. Right side is louder because the sample is louder on the right side btw. Randomly changing settings.

Final one is a synthloop. Also just randomly changing settings.

Have been playing around with it for a couple of days now, and i really enjoy the module. It's really versatile in that it can be used as a really high end natural sounding reverb, a cool sound design tool where you just put stuff through and see what happens (really cool when using strange samples as ir's) , give any input source texture and character,...

Using cv to modulate parameters also gave me nice results. I found that using a really short release and modulating the position of a long reverb space or a sample creates cool variations.

Minor things that I dislike are that you can't save presets, recalculations of ir's sometimes give a short dropout (which is not a problem for me, but i can imagine that to be not great for live use).

I do also have an issue with it. When using it for some time, some of the parameters seem to behave strangly and seem to freeze. When turning a dial it previews the Impulse response. I am in contact with tasty chips, and i'm sure they will find a solution shortly. There is a discussion on their support forum for more info.

Great module! :tu:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun May 03, 2020 5:15 am

Aahhhh, sweet! Thanks so much, guys! You made my day. Ordered! :) Hyped about this one now!

jdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdee » Sun May 03, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm Enjoying this module very much! It's great being able to use more esoteric effects in eurorack. This is an Arp Odyssey through the ECR-1 with a custom impulse I've had knocking around on the computer for years. Sounds great in hardware form! No other effects are added. Just the ECR-1.

1kip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1kip » Tue May 05, 2020 2:27 am

Daisuk wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:15 pm
1kip wrote:

I've had these for a while, and have used them with software convolution reverbs, they're ace.

http://www.diegostocco.com/rhythmic-convolutions-2/

Also, just interested in experimenting with it, making weird spaces by loading in stuff I've recorded around the house, for instance.

Ah, I'm dying to hear a demo of this thing, literally been hovering the mouse pointer over the "buy" button for a few days now, just want to properly hear it. :eek:
very interesting, I think I might also try these, thank you!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 am

Record some bleeps and bloops and try using those as impulses, for some weirdness!
Also, Curious about the cv ins. Assuming cv control is the biggest reason for going this route instead of just using a daw plugin for this, interested to see how it responds to cv.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed May 06, 2020 10:46 am

of course, the whole HW convolution thing draw me into it
-since i have thousands of IR files, mainly from real / easoteric / hi-end / expensive units, now i can have a EMT 320 in my eurorack

instant techno!ç!

KnobTurner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KnobTurner » Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm

1kip wrote:

Apparently, these also work in Altiverb 7, interesting....

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm

It's so hard to wait! I ordered approx first day as well, and mine is (for the last two weeks) somewhere between NL and US, in that strange, virus-enabled limbo where there will be no more tracking info until it's both on the ground and out of customs. 2-1/2 weeks total so far; hoping it won't take tooooooo much longer--!

:banana: :sadbanana: :ripbanana:

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat May 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Has anyone tried any any more abstract/unconventional impulse responses?
All the demos so far sound great but rather conventional/expected.

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sun May 17, 2020 12:42 pm

I've received the module late last Week and have been trying it out in a couple patches over the Weekend. There is a lot to love about this module! Very nice handling and it does what it says. Just a great convolver with stereo and CV control over some parameters! I've also tried out some weird impulses and recorded some stuff into it and used that to quite a good effect -- really weird if you put speech into it, for example. There are also some glass sounds provided with the module.

The only thing that is a minus in my opinion is that the output level of the module is pretty low; almost line level, so I needed to run it through a Erica Pico Input back into my System to use it at modular levels which raised the noise floor a bit. Tastychips said in a mail exchange that this might be fixable through a software update, but those cannot be flashed by the customer, but needs an exchange of the DIMM on the back of the module.

That said, I am really happy to have a great stereo IR reverb in my rack!

l e b e r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by l e b e r » Sun May 17, 2020 3:04 pm

After reading the manual I’m still confused regarding the record function. Does it offer the ability to record IR’s? If so, how? Doesn’t it need to be able to output an short sine wave impulse to create a reverb tail.... then capture this via the modules inputs.....?? I feel like I’m missing some information regarding this potential feature. Any user feedback on this? Thanks!!!

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm

l e b e r wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:04 pm
After reading the manual I’m still confused regarding the record function. Does it offer the ability to record IR’s? If so, how? Doesn’t it need to be able to output an short sine wave impulse to create a reverb tail.... then capture this via the modules inputs.....?? I feel like I’m missing some information regarding this potential feature. Any user feedback on this? Thanks!!!
It's really simple in that it allows you to record the input and use that directly as an IR. This is nice for more experimental IRs, but it's not a sophisticated IR deconvolver or something like that (unless there is some hidden feature that I haven't found yet).

l e b e r
Veteran Wiggler

Post by l e b e r » Sun May 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback.

erde wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:58 pm
l e b e r wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:04 pm
It's really simple in that it allows you to record the input and use that directly as an IR. This is nice for more experimental IRs, but it's not a sophisticated IR deconvolver or something like that (unless there is some hidden feature that I haven't found yet).

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:10 am

Check out the Past to Future IRs as they do great IRs captured from classic hardware. some venture into more creative usage with super long IRs (check out the Blade Runner ones). a bit pricey when buying them individually but they do a sale every now and then where you can get them all at a huge discount.

https://gumroad.com/pasttofuturereverbs

The Diego Stocco ones are good as well.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”