Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Tasty Chips ECR-1 Convolution Reverb

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Got this bad boy today finally. It sounds excellent. Brief demo here. I first recorded a demo that I really liked, but it had lots of audio dropouts due to something with my computer, so had to do another recording, and this one wasn't quite as good. I've tried to find the more experimental IR's, but there are some regular ones in there too. I wish there were folders you could browse, but all IR's are in the root of the SD card, so it's a bit of a mess.

Here I'm just feeding it a very minimal percussion loop of sorts, and have the knobs set as per the Soundcloud image. So no CV'ing or knob twisting except for fading to wet from dry at the very beginning.

Anyways, it sounds exactly like you'd expect from a convolution reverb - it's excellent! I got most of these responses from a random guy on another forum (including lots of weird spaces and experimental stuff). They sound great. It's almost 3 gig worth of IR's, but if people are interested I could probably upload it somewhere. :)

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:06 pm

ordered mine, can't wait.

RHB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RHB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 pm

:banana: Mine arrived today in CA, US. The shipping tracker didn't update for five weeks, until it was delivered, so there's a bit of hope for those awaiting a tracking update in these virus-affected shipping times. Just shy of 7 weeks total.
Best of all, it works!! :nana:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 am

Quite a bit of the ECR-1 in this track. :)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm

any more thoughts/reviews on this module? surprised how quiet this thread is! curious what more new users think!

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:10 pm

Just joined the club myself. First patch with drums only using two of the stock presets. Interested in loading some other IRs now. I’ll have to go back in the thread and try some of those mentioned. Any other suggestions for IRs or recording your own are appreciated!

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:21 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm
any more thoughts/reviews on this module? surprised how quiet this thread is! curious what more new users think!
Mine is somewhere in the postal void. I will report soon.

Ruiner
Common Wiggler

Post by Ruiner » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:42 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm
It's almost 3 gig worth of IR's, but if people are interested I could probably upload it somewhere. :)
Would love to get this from you if possible! Let me know!

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 am

Ruiner wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:42 pm
Daisuk wrote:
It's almost 3 gig worth of IR's, but if people are interested I could probably upload it somewhere. :)
Same here!

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

nikmettez wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 am
Ruiner wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Same here!
Ditto :)

rareo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rareo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am
nikmettez wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:15 am
Ruiner wrote:
Daisuk wrote:
Same here!
Ditto :)
Me four!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Here's a zip with the impulse responses. I found them somewhere online once upon a time, haven't been able to retrace where - so not trying to take any credit for any of these. :)

http://marsmelons.com/muffs/Impulses.zip

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Thanks Daisuk! :) I just ordered my ECR-1 today so probably have a wait ahead of me, but am looking forward to testing out these impulse responses.

seank
Veteran Wiggler

Post by seank » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:17 am

wow. thank you so much! can’t wait to sort through these.

nikmettez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nikmettez » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:20 am

Daisuk wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Here's a zip with the impulse responses. I found them somewhere online once upon a time, haven't been able to retrace where - so not trying to take any credit for any of these. :)

Thx!!!!

rareo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rareo » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:31 am

Daisuk wrote:

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:57 pm

So this came last week and I spent some time with it and it's fantastic. I haven't moved past the stock IR files yet, but just what's default sounds amazing. Very impressed.

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:45 am

Daisuk wrote:

That’s amazing! Thank you very much!

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 am

here's a short snippet of 2 vocal samples, 1 is send through the ECR-1 with an Eventide Eclipse IR where the position is slowly modulated

since it is a IR delay, you get different delay times "all the time" ;)

https://soundcloud.com/mag-tab/back2backwav

Back2Back.Wav
(34.72 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:33 am

how do you guys who already bought it like it in your modular?
does it integrate well?

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:30 am

youkon wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:33 am
how do you guys who already bought it like it in your modular?
does it integrate well?
Got mine for quite a while now and it's really nice to have a good IR convolver in the rack. I usually tend to use it as an end of chain reverb, but loading in weird / custom IRs for more experimental stuff is a great source of sound exploration potential. Also modulating it gives suprising effects, you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else out of the box.

That said I would strongly suggest to get the 1.1 firmware as a replacement DIMM from tastychips if you don't have it; in the beginning the 1.0 had very low pp voltage making it almost unusable other than an end of chain effect, IMHO.

Also there is a minimal amount of digital noise being introduced by the module, but using a good power supply and with firmware 1.1 this is not a big deal for me anymore.

youkon
frequency research department

Post by youkon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:41 am

what about clicks and clipping? do you have enough headroom or do you have to take care to prevent nasty clipping noises?

erde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by erde » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 am

youkon wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:41 am
what about clicks and clipping? do you have enough headroom or do you have to take care to prevent nasty clipping noises?
You do infact have to monitor your input and output (wet) levels so that clipping does not happen on either stage. But I found that to be pretty simple to take care of; there is some headroom. Though the output depends very much on the IR used.

Edit: There are clipping indicators on the input stage.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am

Hi all:

So I've had my Tasty Chips reverb for a while now. First off, awesome. Super awesome. Clearly the best reverb in eurorack, not even a question. The question is it better than VST's like Waves IR1? That's the serious question, and in some ways it feels better and sounds better. Compared to a rack unit like a PCM90/91 (of which I have one), the IR verbs are better. Tasty Chips is some serious beef. Not only is there the IR files, but there's also an envelope across the IR that allows you to tailor the reverb's response to your material better.

Headroom is generous and clipping is indicated by a 'C' on the display before it is audible. This suggests the ADC has at least *some* clean headroom. The input gain is pretty good, there are a few times where I had to add some gain from a VCA before the TC but most of the time I'm attenuating. The output signal also isn't super-hot, but I won't say it's weak. It's sort of in the middle, but then again euro audio levels vary a lot PtP. Generally not an issue.

I have been having the most fun using the dry knob at zero and putting it entirely wet. This is something I would rarely do with any other reverb, generally I like to run it as an Aux bus effect but the TC I actually like in serial much better.

But I imagine audio tells you volumes more than my drivel.

The first sound of the track is a Spectrum Osc into a Cynthia Saw animator and then to a 106 Chorus which makes it stereo. It then goes through a Rossum Morpheus and to two VCA's and last through the Tasty Chips running 'Terrys Warehouse' IR file. This is the first 50 seconds of the track and it's the TC on full wet with about -8dB of dry signal blended back.

Here's a video I made, just a phone mic.

Here's another that show's off the TC, again just a phone mic:

Overall if you want the best reverb and can fit this in your rack, the ECR-1 is it. Period. I don't even foresee anything beating this, maybe equalling it, but not surpassing, at least not easily. Convolution reverb has always been my jam and my collection of IR files on the computer for my VST's is vast so the TC is a natural extension to that into euro, and a very welcome addition as my favorite reverb. It's tremendous.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 pm

what i want to do is built my own 4-ch IR files, from my vast collection of IR files on my computer, then load in the ECR-1 and blend between the 2 reverbs (4 channels)
the question is : what would work nice?
like 2 different instances of a ROLAND RE201 echo (those sound great on the ECR-1!) - or 2 instances of a lexicon 480 (i like these better than the 960 IR's i have) plate verb ?
or like 2 totally different IR's of 2 totally different spaces ? (some eventide H3000 algoritms are really spaced out)
or maybe 4 total different IR's alltogether

Return to “Eurorack Modules”