Harsh noise & drone rig

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:09 am

brandonlogic wrote:look into the benjolin.
I have used one before. I love the benjolin! I think it works great as a standalone instrument. I can't say that I would delete anything in this rack to make room for a benjolin. I guess because I have owned or played with a lot of gear I kinda want to do something with this rack that feels new and interesting. My latest thing is to play with feedback. It is a lot like what people do with matrix mixers and guitar pedals but it is probably more deterministic and less channels the way I work now. If you have VCA you need LFO and if you have LFO then you need VCA and LFO for the VCA and LFO. These are the patches that worked well for me in reaktor, Nord modular, VAZ modular.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:45 am

I'd consider a Plague Bearer, possibly in place of the A124, and I'd try to make an extra 3HP of room for either a Hertz Donut Mk3 or a Piston Honda Mk3 instead of the E340.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:57 am

Hertz Donut mkIII
simulation of the acoustic properties of industrial machinery.
:party:

Yeah that e340 and the quad attenuator gotta go. Hertz Donut mkIII is way closer to what I am trying to do.

Swapping the wasp for a PB is a bit tempting. I think I might try them both out in this rack so I can stop guessing if it all fits together. I have never played with a PB but I know what it is. It definitely fits the rack I just don't know which one I will regret selling off more.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 am

I have the X1L3 Shard and Wreckage and NIHIL modules and I don't find them to be chiptune-ish. At least not in the way I use them. I do tend to gravitate toward PE more than Harsh Noise, though, so that could be a problem for you with these modules. One thing I use for that electro-acoustic/man-machine sound are the Koma Field Kits. I use them for my spring reverb as well. It's pretty easy as I just attach them to the top of my rack with strong velcro and they don't wobble. As suggested before, you might want to throw Jupiter Storm and Galilean Moons into the rack for that Merzbow feel.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:27 am

JM Midnight wrote:I have the X1L3 Shard and Wreckage and NIHIL modules and I don't find them to be chiptune-ish. At least not in the way I use them. I do tend to gravitate toward PE more than Harsh Noise, though, so that could be a problem for you with these modules. One thing I use for that electro-acoustic/man-machine sound are the Koma Field Kits. I use them for my spring reverb as well. It's pretty easy as I just attach them to the top of my rack with strong velcro and they don't wobble. As suggested before, you might want to throw Jupiter Storm and Galilean Moons into the rack for that Merzbow feel.
the official demo for jupiter storm has sounds that remind me of arcade games, short wave radio, square wave oscs ring mod xor etc...the trogotronic 666,669,676,679 are mostly square waves but for some reason the demos sound more usable.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:06 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
JM Midnight wrote:I have the X1L3 Shard and Wreckage and NIHIL modules and I don't find them to be chiptune-ish. At least not in the way I use them. I do tend to gravitate toward PE more than Harsh Noise, though, so that could be a problem for you with these modules. One thing I use for that electro-acoustic/man-machine sound are the Koma Field Kits. I use them for my spring reverb as well. It's pretty easy as I just attach them to the top of my rack with strong velcro and they don't wobble. As suggested before, you might want to throw Jupiter Storm and Galilean Moons into the rack for that Merzbow feel.
the official demo for jupiter storm has sounds that remind me of arcade games, short wave radio, square wave oscs ring mod xor etc...the trogotronic 666,669,676,679 are mostly square waves but for some reason the demos sound more usable.
In your original post, you stated that you want fewer drones. If so, stay away from the X1L3 Wreckage. It's a drone machine.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:07 am

One more suggestion. I'm not sure you'll like it because they're off-rack units, but have you considered devices like the Hikari Monos or JMT gear? The JMT LD-1 can achieve sounds like Merzbow/Hanatarash, etc. pretty easily. I mean, the LD-1 sounds like a screaming Zero fighter if you tweak it right. On the down side, you need to cook the line level up to eurorack for the rest of your kit, and JMT builds are not the sturdiest. I actually tore off a pot during a noise frenzy with my DNVO. You can find this stuff at Perfect Circuit.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:24 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
I had a trog 676 and it was very square wavey but not at all in a chip / arcade sort of way. It is very hectic and unstable. Should be one in bst right now too i think.

The Beast Tek P239 was a sick drone machine but it was TOO noise oriented for my tastes, i couldn't possibly use most of the voices in it in a pitch mapped sense trying to make something musical with it. I later noticed the demo videos almost never have the pitch CV patched up regardless.

Any of those plus the doepfer A-101-6 is pulse demon territory.

Picking up a radio music for >$50 could be a good move to load a microSD up with wavs of noise textures and let it do its thing.

I have a benjolin and i dont know about it. If you need more rhythm/melody in your drones, yes go ahead but i always felt it depends too heavily on the incoming pitch cv to make any noise.

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler

Post by PapaLazarou » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Have you tried Rings? Can be either beautiful or hideous. Also Mikrophonie/Ears...can be used as a sound source, CV source, or a line level boost.

Wasn't a big fan of the Benjolin, but obviously just comes down to taste.

Bataserpa
Common Wiggler

Post by Bataserpa » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 pm

If you really wanna go harsh with euro I suggest you to get a pedal interface
, like ph Inout, sgb or pedal integrator. Distortion and fuzz pedals can make any euro vcos, with the right modulation, sounds like a destruction havoc.

Delepathy
Common Wiggler

Post by Delepathy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:11 am

I'm very surprised to see no mention or suggestion of Metasonix modules. In that case, I would suggest you throw an RK2 XS-VCA in there.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 am

Delepathy wrote:I'm very surprised to see no mention or suggestion of Metasonix modules. In that case, I would suggest you throw an RK2 XS-VCA in there.
I listened to the demos but didn't think it was dirty enough. nothing like a TX-1. I would love a TX-1. I just checked the prices on culture vulture, they are up to $2100 NEW for the standard poor people version. R-51 is cool not as cool as TX-1 but can't get an R-51 either. I am pretty much settled on a trogotronic 277.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1024108

this is the final boss mode of the rack after many hours of research and price checking. used module surfing. DIY case and power building. I am not too sure about fourses and VCNO. I almost want to swap for ultra random analog but at the same time I kinda don't cause I had one and didn't like it. maybe I just need to put a 669 in there. comments welcome.

EDIT: this is what it looks like without fourses, VCNO, PLL, white noise. added arcade button, theremin, trshmstr.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1024576

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Delepathy wrote:I'm very surprised to see no mention or suggestion of Metasonix modules. In that case, I would suggest you throw an RK2 XS-VCA in there.
I listened to the demos but didn't think it was dirty enough. nothing like a TX-1. I would love a TX-1. I just checked the prices on culture vulture, they are up to $2100 NEW for the standard poor people version. R-51 is cool not as cool as TX-1 but can't get an R-51 either.
I don't know if there's anything like the TX1, having not tried one. Maybe the RK3 would be more your speed?

FWIW, if you were looking for a Metasonix VCA nastier than the RK2, the R57 would have probably been more what you're looking for than the R51- which I think is considered to be one of their tamer offerings. The R57 has stupid amounts of gain and at the highest settings will choke the crap out of whatever you're sending it. It also experiences a very strong CV feed-through effect with quick envelopes, which can be used for adding a really heavy crunch to whatever you're gating with it.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:16 am

Yes Powder wrote:I don't know if there's anything like the TX1, having not tried one. Maybe the RK3 would be more your speed?

FWIW, if you were looking for a Metasonix VCA nastier than the RK2, the R57 would have probably been more what you're looking for than the R51- which I think is considered to be one of their tamer offerings. The R57 has stupid amounts of gain and at the highest settings will choke the crap out of whatever you're sending it. It also experiences a very strong CV feed-through effect with quick envelopes, which can be used for adding a really heavy crunch to whatever you're gating with it.
TX-1 = agonizer. zerosum made a custom agonizer for someone in 5U. I know you had him build something for you made to order. how did that go? how long was the wait and what was the price? I might want to just order an agonizer custom if I can't get a R-57 on ebay. not sure if I should email eric first before I email zerosum. did zerosum close up shop?

I have a RIP cinemag transformer coming in the mail so the DC feed through would actually be a very welcome fuck shit up feature with the tube VCA -> transformer. one less thing to patch manually.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 am

EATyourGUITAR wrote:TX-1 = agonizer. zerosum made a custom agonizer for someone in 5U. I know you had him build something for you made to order. how did that go? how long was the wait and what was the price? I might want to just order an agonizer custom if I can't get a R-57 on ebay. not sure if I should email eric first before I email zerosum. did zerosum close up shop?
The things I got from Zerosum were his 5823 Noise Sorcerer and a Voltage Controlled Annihilator, which are both designs that he made specifically for Euro.
The 5823 Noise Sorcerer is a noise generator based on an obscure cold-cathode tube, and the VCAnnihilation is a very rough VCA/Distortion based on a 12AU6 and neon bulb. (Both might actually be right up your alley.)
I forget what the prices were honestly, since I got them over a year ago. (I wanna say the 5823 was $360 and the VCAnn was $400 but please don't quote me on that.) Turnaround time was about three or four weeks for either, and I can definitely vouch for his build quality.
I'm not sure if he's still making them, but you can send him a message here or on Instagram to see.

As for whether he'll make you an Agonizer, I'd doubt it. I asked him if he'd make me a Euro version of the Berserker and he said no.
Eric will almost definitely say no.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 pm

I started rethinking this again. this is more for power electronics and less of a drone rig. I think it can probably do harsh noise but I made it more for a range of clean and dirty sounds. I wanted something to make samples with. I will probably just multitrack in the daw. it is also a very good performance rack I think. it has the dual contact mics, lots of distortion, noise sources, feedback loops, whatever you want I got it. the fourses does both modulation and audio output. the SPO is also a 2 input unity mixer. the blender is a 4 input mixer. the starling via meta is a really feature packed module with a manual trigger on the front. top left is some tube modules that just came out but are not on modular grid yet. I don't want to say what they are till that actually happens. the trog and the erica vcf are just holding place for a mystery vca and a vcf.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1032667

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 am

Here is my current rig for this type of stuff:

and the second half which is coming along:

Planning on a Bloom, a Forbidden Planet, and a few other things to fill up the pallette.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I am very interested in your thoughts on the piston Honda mk3. I know in the past people liked mk1 mk2 because it was a shitty glitchy digital VCO. Now it is advertised as a more legitimate high quality full featured dual morphing VCO. I'm not sure how much the FM can do audio rate or if it is now slewed to prevent glitching? I don't know where the mk3 fits. Is it a noise glitch thing or is it a high quality wavetable thing?

I think your approach is very interesting. It looks like a performance rig to me because it is all samplers. I am looking to have a bit more analog in my rack. The only reason why I want one or two digital VCO is because I don't want to limit myself to strictly analog VCO.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:15 pm

the piston honda mk3 can do audio-rate through-zero fm perfectly well, and you can choose (menu options) how much aliasing noise is present with the waveforms. it's not exactly as pristine sounding as the synthtech wavetable oscillators but the morphing is very smooth (or can jump from waveform to waveform if you so choose) and the audio quality suits my tastes.

it can be as ugly or as pretty (unless you are an absolute audiophile about wavetable purity) as you like. I think it sits somewhere between the earlier Hondas and the e352, but a bit closer to the e352, with more dual oscillator flexibility and a faster interface to navigate and more of a subtly crunchy Microwave sound.

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:16 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:I am very interested in your thoughts on the piston Honda mk3. I know in the past people liked mk1 mk2 because it was a shitty glitchy digital VCO. Now it is advertised as a more legitimate high quality full featured dual morphing VCO. I'm not sure how much the FM can do audio rate or if it is now slewed to prevent glitching? I don't know where the mk3 fits. Is it a noise glitch thing or is it a high quality wavetable thing?

I think your approach is very interesting. It looks like a performance rig to me because it is all samplers. I am looking to have a bit more analog in my rack. The only reason why I want one or two digital VCO is because I don't want to limit myself to strictly analog VCO.

Loved the Piston Honda MKIII. Made for exceptional lows and absolutely insane cyber like sounds. Once you get the wavetables some modulation it can sound like transformers going to battle.

I have shaped my rig to be focused on being studio and for live use. I like to keep my rhythms sampled based for the most part, often making my own kick or sampling a source for loops. Looking to expand the second case with a forbidden planet as the dedicated vcf for my waverazor and then snag a bloom as well.
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

mlaszews
Common Wiggler

Post by mlaszews » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Another vote for the X1l3 stuff. I have Shard and will definitely be adding Wreckage at some point. Definitely not a chiptune sound. Great for PE, harsh noise, drone, etc. The Trogotronic m669 is another great module, and much easier to come by than the 666. More sound sources in general would be my main recommendation.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:24 pm

I am in the process of building a 6U and a 12U case. after listening to more demos on better speakers, I think I like shard now but there is no way to fit that in this 6U. I know I don't want the tubes in the same rack as the spring reverb. the 6U is tubes, compact noise sources, utilities and modulation in a complete package for live performance or studio. it is the perfect desert island synth. the 12U is where I can put the really big stuff and more DIY like the sequencers I make dirt cheap. I could put shard in the 6U but then I lose a really sweet tube module. they are both 15HP.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Harsh noise & drone rig

Post by D.Tilbury » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:05 am

X1l3

I can't make chiptunes with those modules...yet (underwurlde and shard). I will try and get back to you. Maybe if you took a multiple osc atari punk console and threw it through overdrive/fuzz/distortion with delay....maybe thats what you are hearing that is like chip tunes? Trying to catch your reference.
He makes a cb mic interface which can get you some crunchy screams to spice up your dish. The piston mk3 is a good choice. Animal Factory Amps has a new godeater module that has some extreme low end response with the distortion/fuzz sounds. I love it. I play bass guitar alot and I'm always trying out low frequencies through fuzz boxes and overdrive and distortion pedals....throwing beats through those and getting a heavy low end harmonically rich clipped signal is.....relatively orgasmic.

Trogotronix 669 is way dope as well and I vote for that

Cool thread. I actually started building a pe/hn box as well. Should call it the PEe box.

Using old turntable flight cases for the enclosure...tank like at
96 2HP and you can get either 8U (3U3U1U1U) or 9U (3U3U3U) out of it.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 am

Harsh noise & drones?
Sounds like Noise Engineering BIA or one of the other Iteritas oscillators.
I think BIA would fit nicely.
I assume you are using a Batumi as an audio oscillator, so at least 5 sound sources and also noise sources.
Oh, didn't realize that this was an old thread, assume that you got this sorted.
I read through this whole post and didn't realize that.
Cheers :guinness:

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Post by D.Tilbury » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 am

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:20 am
Harsh noise & drones?
Sounds like Noise Engineering BIA or one of the other Iteritas oscillators.
I think BIA would fit nicely.
I assume you are using a Batumi as an audio oscillator, so at least 5 sound sources and also noise sources.
Oh, didn't realize that this was an old thread, assume that you got this sorted.
I read through this whole post and didn't realize that.
Cheers :guinness:

Foghorn
Yea....BIA is amazing for this as well.
I hope it isnt frowned upon to post to older threads...I find some stuff through searches and want to get involved.
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

Return to “Eurorack Modules”