Harsh noise & drone rig

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ultar
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Harsh noise & drone rig

Post by ultar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:19 pm

Every Schlappi Engineering module deserves mention here. They sound rich and I think all three can be used as sound sources or processors. Angle Grinder is next on my to-buy list. Also, the layouts seem well designed for live performance.

hpsmasher
1-Post Wiggler

Post by hpsmasher » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:32 pm

I'll chime in (first post!) because I own several of the modules discussed:
X1l3 - Shard, Underwurlde: I really enjoy this combo and appreciate all of the cv options on the shard. I dont find it to be chiptunish at all really, and the pair together can create some really big textures

Trogo - m669, m679: they both sound quite different. The m679 is less tamable than the m669 (a lot of sputtering screeches), but the more I use it the more I find things to like about it. Particularly running through a spring verb. The m669 is better for audio processing imo.

IME/Harvestman - PH MKI/MKIII, HD MKII/MKIII (plus others): what can I say, I love these modules. While not specifically designed for noise, you can get noise out of all of them, particularly with the piston honda mkiii as you can create any wavetable you want. PH MKIII and Bionic Lester MKIII is one of my favorite combos in my rack, and I find Scott's designs to be very playable.

MASF - OSC03: yep it makes chaotic noise. Can be fun for percussion or further processing.

WMD - Syncro + Expand: It was already mentioned that this pair takes up a lot of space, but you can get a big range of sounds/noise from them.

Toullskouarn - Skorn Da Bask: Not very harsh at all really, but can make extremely pleasant sounds and drones.

I have a fair amount of noisy effects but I'll give special mention to the Schlappi 100 Grit which I really enjoy. I love picking up distorted radio through the touch pads and sending it through the X1l3 Underwurlde

Other non-modular stuff:
JMT - Unvo-1, snb-2b, noisy mic-2: Mentioned previously in this thread, these are relatively new to me, but I'm a fan. They all have their pro's and con's but are geared towards noise and make a lot of it. I think they sound great with a little extra distortion on top. The noisy mic is a ton of fun particularly when fed an external source like one of the trogos, and the internal distortion on it sounds nice.

Skychord - Glamour Box: an older noise synth that mangles external audio well. I don't enjoy it quite as much as the JMTs, but it has an interesting design that goes beyond the typical square waves in a box thing.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 pm

I second all the Schlappi modules. The 100 Grit is so much more than a filter + distortion, it's a feedback machine. You can get so much variety out of it.

Angle Grinder works well as a heavy bass synth for industrial/EBMish stuff. It's capable of some mean evolving drones. Pushing it for noise isn't as straightforward as 100 Grit, but it does reward your efforts. Also a very capable and unique waveshaper/filter/CV source.

Interstellar Radio I was skeptical about it, but it's grown on me. An analog noise source that can be so many different kinds of noise. There's so many weird interactions packed into it. I don't understand how it works at all. That said, whenever I need a noise source, I can get something useful but more interesting than white/pink noise out of it. The tonal aspect of it can give you surprisingly good-sounding synth cymbals and hats. A huge step up over a generic noise source, and capable of wild feedback stuff.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by funeralcake » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:39 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:08 am
for music we could say merzbow pulse demon. I don't think I have heard anything since that really nails it. I can go back to this album and it never gets old. he has a great talent for never doing anything boring. always switches it up. put a lot of rhythm into his drones. yellow swans is another one.
It's important to consider that a lot of Pulse Demon's power lies in it's insanely squashed brickwall mastering, and not so much the gear used (which was rarely anything but loops, junk metal and stompboxes in those days, EMS Synthi bewps notwithstanding, all layered/multitracked to DAT and blasted the fuck out in the mastering stage). It seems odd to spend thousands of dollars on modular stuff to make that happen (though I wouldn't try to sway anyone). I really just think we need to be focusing more on sheer volume, compression/mastering and overall technique regarding mixing sources than anything. I mean, what can a modular system do in terms of harshness to electro-acoustic sources that a bunch of cheap pedals cannot, depending on how the output is processed via compression and sheer volume?

Either way, you lose a lot of dynamics and character going this route, as invigorating as the sounds can be. For years, it's been a constant struggle to produce something that has energy, "extremity", etc. without having all of it's individual, subtle details obliterated by dynamic compression. Easier said than done.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:00 pm

wow! great stuff. what I thought I would put in my rack and what I actually put in my rack has changed with my budget. I built some kits. I purchased the eowave lfo and two 4HP dual VCA's from doepfer. that MASF - OSC03: I might buy this next after I shuffle things around. I don't think I can get MASF + shard. there is some cool skychord stuff out there but not in eurorack. I am seriously considering unloading this brand new toulskourn dual filter over drive for the future sound systems FIL3. not sure about the beast tek. I should give it a chance at least. I watched a lot of angle grinder videos and I still think it is a one trick pony. you can spot that sound as the angle grinder. but this could also just be something that is better in real life than in videos. there could be some L33T way to use it.

I made my rack again on modulargrid. bottom row I think I may sell off. top row is what I want to buy next. if you read this thread a year from now that rack will be deleted or changed.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1063687
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 pm

I can not find OSC03 anywhere in the entire planet earth. please anyone link to a new or used for sale listing to sort me out. It really drives me nuts when I find the perfect module but it is not for sale. the used black face 100 grit sold before I could build the courage to buy it. only $200! what a deal. if I can't find a osc03, I will probably panic buy a shard or fil3. also considering mounting a DOD death metal guitar pedal to a eurorack blank panel with 18v.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:24 pm

I don't know if you've searched for the pedal version of the MASF OSC03, but I snagged one a few years back and basically made it fit into euro standards. I haven't seen an actual Euro version of this available in a looooooong time.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Also, it's a long shot since they've stopped production, but if you can find a Moffenzeef Moffenmix used anywhere, I implore you to get one. I have a 100 Grit, Miasma/Crime, Terci Ruina, Viol Ruina, and a bunch of other outboard distortion units, but the Moffenmix is just totally ugly, abusive distortion.....4 channel madness!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:37 pm

thanks for the tip. I will keep my eyes open for osc03. moffenmix seems like something I could build myself in about an hour. I am also considering getting two more plague bearers. there is a snazzy high gain for sale used. I like it but I'm not in love with it. I have always been rather underwhelmed by snazzy FX. they mostly seem like stuff that should have been designed a little more. people always sell them. I have never heard anyone talk about how great snazzy is.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:32 pm

I spent the money. this is the conclusion to this story. not even mad about the MASF OSC03 being out of production. I think the doepfer phaser will nail that sound and more.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1032667

Terdjman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Terdjman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 am

As in the pedal world, I find graphic EQs very useful for harsh noise. The Random Source Resonant EQ is great. There is room for hands on playability and it makes harsh square waves sound great. It is great for feedback patching too.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 am

Terdjman wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 am
As in the pedal world, I find graphic EQs very useful for harsh noise. The Random Source Resonant EQ is great. There is room for hands on playability and it makes harsh square waves sound great. It is great for feedback patching too.
I always wanted Q VCF but the panel is too big 14HP. I have the plague bearer. I never liked the resonant EQ even though all my friends say they love it. I don't like fixed filter banks either. I played with the casper dark matter. I thought it was great but my big problem with it is the fixed frequency of the crossover. I don't even need a two band EQ. I usually need only low pass or band pass. when I worked with protools every day I used 1 knob parametric EQ whenever I needed an EQ. I find that most of the time, that is all that you need. I am currently selling my touellskouarn ar merc'het brao to get either a WMD TRSHMSTR or a FSS FIL3. the ar merc'het brao has two channels of overdrive but an overdrive doesn't make me happy when what I really want is distortion and high gain.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Update. I made some low quality cell phone video so everyone can hear the result and the beginning of me using my new harsh noise & drone rig.

1960strat
Common Wiggler

Post by 1960strat » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 am

Noise Engineering and Erica Fusion Series can bring you a long way here

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am

I am aware of them. I went through all the module demos. The new NE reverb module that is not out yet is the only thing I would buy. I totally regret not buying shard from X1L3. Trying to simulate that with other modules uses the entire rack for one sound.

Right now there is a crisis with swapping filters for more compact filters or filters with different features. Attenuators are not here yet so that is really holding me back. No crossfaders or panners because I have the VCA's. I feel like I need a DOD deathmetal. I need to finish building another batch of joysticks so I can keep one for myself. The joysticks I make have XOR, gate outs, comparators, analog outs bipolar + unipolar. Those are all things I really really need anyway. Not getting crossfaders is a big mistake. I can't stress that enough. I'm also thinking that ornaments and crimes would be an excellent choice for algorithmic organic modulation. Cause if that doesn't work I will need to get an entire row of NLC. I'm still hunting sprott and MASF OSC03. There are 40 people with WTB on modulargrid. Someone who speaks japanese should email them asking about getting another batch. Tell them that 40 modules are already sold.

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am
I'm also thinking that ornaments and crimes would be an excellent choice for algorithmic organic modulation. Cause if that doesn't work I will need to get an entire row of NLC.
in my quest for interesting modulations, i find myself in possession of 2 o_C and a full row (equivalent) of NLC.

My prescription for you, sir, is 1 NLC Hypster, which is my favorite of all modulation sources. The o_C can be quite useful for many things, however i was musically unsatisfied with the built-in pattern generation algorithms, if that's what you're after.

The Hypster can be beautiful on its own, but it's outstanding in feedback patches as the sort of 'root' modulator driving s all modulations.

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:00 pm

My current harsh noise & drone rig:

noiserig.jpg

Great for making horror movie soundtracks, I think the spring reverb is essential.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:16 pm

I disagree about the dark matter. I’ve gotten very controllable fb out of it. It’s great in a delay feedback chain.

forrest
Common Wiggler

Post by forrest » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Also the NE reverb was just on pre-sale for people who signed up for the newsletter, dunno if you were & got that link or not.. Too expensive I think though @ $350 or so but I'm sure it will sound great.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Any interest in Koma Elektronik's Field Kit or Field Kit FX? There is an add-on for the FX for spring reverb, and it is supposed to be great at microphone/found sound/field recordings. Plus the Field Kit has a built-in shortwave radio scanner, iirc.

These both are available as stand-alone units and as Eurorack compatible.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:40 pm

yeah I would if I was starting over but I already have the RF nomad, the expander. I am buying either ears or or error instruments spring. this would pair well with the spring contact mic.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 pm

Update. I got some more modules in. Noise is happening.

joey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by joey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:30 am

METASONIX

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am

joey wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:30 am
METASONIX
240V DC SMPS in a case with spring reverb? I have my concerns about hum getting into the spring tank return that is very sensitive. I would get the epicycloid turbo entubulator before I buy any metasonix. the power supply is isolated and I think if you can get only one, this is the one to get. I would also get some zerosum inertia. nothing against metasonix. I just find these other things to be more interesting. this cloe v3 also has a tube but I'm not sure if it is a starved plate design or if it is SMPS.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bizarre-jezabel-chloe-v3

Return to “Eurorack Modules”