What VCO to recreate Arp sound?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

boubi
Common Wiggler

Re: What VCO to recreate Arp sound?

Post by boubi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:47 pm

As the original poster resurrected the thread, of which I was made the obvious fool after being helpful (panem et circenses - owners of the Keys to the Kingdom loyally displayed their usual condescension and didn't offer him any suggestion), I'll just say I'm glad to know that he enjoys the oscillators and filters I advised. Which are : Steffcorp clones. Just stating it before innocent newcomers start to fumble their way through the clutter here.
ARP 2600, ARP Sequencer, EMS Synthi E, Waldorf Microwave XT, Korg z1, microKorg

https://soundcloud.com/improvising-beings

drdel
Common Wiggler

Post by drdel » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 am

Hello... :sstorm: sorry I did not mean to offend anyone .. based on what I learned so far, I can only agree with thowe fellows that do see differences in the sound of different VCOs looking at the “same” waveform (or whichever other module might be concerned)—and logically, I think there would have to be, indeed, as normally different electronics are behind it. I do not know if/by how much this would always matter, or not. Suppose there will be all types of examples. To me, eventually, the sound matters.. (and sometimes availability.. and my purse too :hihi: ). Re the two major 2600 clones discussed here, Steff and GSE, by my view both are very nice indeed, and—sound different from each other. All else is up to each wiggler to decide, isn’t it? Sorry again if I may have caused any confusion.

boubi
Common Wiggler

Post by boubi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Don't be sorry. What matters most is that you have found instruments that help you create the music you want to create.
Like you, I hear differences in basic waveforms. Maybe it is just a delusion and a poetic license. If 'people in the know' say I'm wrong, well, why not. Let it be.
Above all let engineers engineer, and musicians music. They can say whatever they want, I trust my ears, and yours, and whoever uses them to create art, more than the bureaucrats of synthesizer.

drdel
Common Wiggler

Post by drdel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:52 am

:tu:

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:14 am

Anyone know of any smaller arp clones? I’m definitely interested in the sound but not the size. I don’t want micro but I’ve also basically maxed out my 9u 168hp. Trying to buy a house so another case isn’t going to go down well with the lady.... but I can always slip in another module without it being noticed...

boubi
Common Wiggler

Post by boubi » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:10 am

Far as I know, G-Storm are the smallest, at 10 and 12hp respectively for the VCO and VCF. Unless there are DIY options I am not aware of.

To stay within the confines of early ARP circuits, the Odyssey's VCF has been cloned a few times. Nonlinear Circuits and Frequency Central versions are 8hp. It's different from the 2600, but it has flavor and is 'ARP-ish' because it is quite unlike other filters of the era.

drdel
Common Wiggler

Post by drdel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:07 am

Freq Central have very nice Arp 2600 utility modules: More VCAs and Process 26, at 4 resp.6 HP; I have them in my rig and can highly recommend them.

drdel
Common Wiggler

Post by drdel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 am

or wait a bit more until Korg and/or Behringer release their micro-Arp ... :sb:

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:20 am

drdel wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:07 am
Freq Central have very nice Arp 2600 utility modules: More VCAs and Process 26, at 4 resp.6 HP; I have them in my rig and can highly recommend them.
Have you tried the whiteface VCF?

I was looking at the gods box humpback and I see it utilises the rochester chips that are used in the arp filters, I checked a demo too and it sounds effing amazing, was curious about getting close to the arp sound with it.

Ive recently become obsessed with arp style vco's and filters. Please help haha.

boubi
Common Wiggler

Post by boubi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:12 pm

Anything labeled 'SEM-style' draws its inspiration from the Oberheim SEM. Its multimode filter was designed by Dennis Colin who was responsible for the beautiful 1047 VCF in the 2500. Such filters are... siblings. Subtle differences but definitely an early 1970s vibe to them.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:27 pm

boubi wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:12 pm
Anything labeled 'SEM-style' draws its inspiration from the Oberheim SEM. Its multimode filter was designed by Dennis Colin who was responsible for the beautiful 1047 VCF in the 2500. Such filters are... siblings. Subtle differences but definitely an early 1970s vibe to them.
I see, thanks for the info. Its been quite an interesting read up for me tonight in regards to the 70's sounds. Arp filter clones, SEM clones, transistor ladder filters etc.

I did come across a DIY group where on fella came up with a PCB and panel for an ARP vco in eurorack format and pusherman stock the pcb and panel.

drdel
Common Wiggler

Post by drdel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Hello.. no I didn’t try the Whiteface, this seems to be a clone of the Oddy filter, I was only interested in the 2600 (and perhaps 2500, for that matter)..
@boubi, interesting insight about the heritage of the early Arp and the SEM filters .. the overall sound of the 2600 and SEM seems to be rather different though, to my ears, what do you think? (though I must admit I did not have a chance yet to hear them live) so, if they do sound different, why is this so—still difference of the filters (well you said siblings, not clones, and referred to the 2500, not 2600), or some other difference in the path, which? (and what about the Moog hassle then? :minimoog: :deadbanana:)
interesting discussion, indeed :tu:
best wishes, drdel :sb:

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:21 pm

drdel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 pm
Hello.. no I didn’t try the Whiteface, this seems to be a clone of the Oddy filter, I was only interested in the 2600 (and perhaps 2500, for that matter)..
@boubi, interesting insight about the heritage of the early Arp and the SEM filters .. the overall sound of the 2600 and SEM seems to be rather different though, to my ears, what do you think? (though I must admit I did not have a chance yet to hear them live) so, if they do sound different, why is this so—still difference of the filters (well you said siblings, not clones, and referred to the 2500, not 2600), or some other difference in the path, which? (and what about the Moog hassle then? :minimoog: :deadbanana:)
interesting discussion, indeed :tu:
best wishes, drdel :sb:
The 2600 had 24dB per octave lowpass filters (different designs over the years, but all 24dB lowpass). The SEM is a 12dB multimode filter.

So the SEM can do low pass, hi pass, band pass, and notch, the 2600 is only low pass. (unless you get tricky with patching a 2600 using an inverter & mixer to 'make your own' hi pass response outside of the filter).

Even when the SEM is set to lowpass, like the 2600, it will still sound quite different because one is 24 dB per octave slope and the other is 12dB per octave slope.

Note that the original white face Odyssey had a 12dB filter and the rev II & III had different types of 24dB filters. The Korg re-release version of the Odyssey has a three way switch that selects between all three types, which makes it really obvious what the differences are.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”