Announcing: Ellis // Livestock // Precision Macro Controller

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Someday, clear panels will be the new rage :hihi:

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:07 pm

the panels have been discussed allready,
can we move now to the module and what it does please ?
has anybody a tip for a smaller, more private place to surf euro modular or "experimental electronic music making " as such ?
Or is there a place where the "old" wigglers meet again? please PM me
its too big here, can´t handle the timeload any longer

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:48 am

Dragonaut
hahah funny you get a goth feel from it. As I don't see it myself, it's retro futuristic Memphis design.

MARK27
Yeah, to provide alternate panels you need the funds to do so. And you'll always end up with left over stock. Besides all the new panel designs are made with Eagle (PCB making program), so I'd have to create new files for aluminum. Considering I already spent a lot of time converting to the new look, I don't feel it's worth the time and effort to add more options at the moment.

Funky40
Pre-orders were shipped last week, so don't think the modules have arrived yet, give it some more time. As for morphing:

The manual states;
Morph between presets when modulating or pressing presets with the morph knob.

So when you select a preset with a press or with cv. You can have it morph instead of switch statically. The morph knob determines the morph speed.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 am

I too, preferred the green.

Funky40 wrote:the panels have been discussed allready,
can we move now to the module and what it does please ?
It's a voltage block alternative.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:57 pm

What is the range of the morph speed?

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:29 am

jfprimeau
Anywhere between instantly and about 20 minutes. There are 4 multipliers to select in the settings menu, to scale the morph knob and input. It's ranged at 5 sec, 30 sec, 2 minutes and 20 minutes.

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:56 pm

LiveStock Electronics wrote:jfprimeau
Anywhere between instantly and about 20 minutes. There are 4 multipliers to select in the settings menu, to scale the morph knob and input. It's ranged at 5 sec, 30 sec, 2 minutes and 20 minutes.
cool, good idea with the different ranges, really covers all the bases on that front!

LiveStock Electronics
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing: Ellis // Livestock // Precision Macro Controller

Post by LiveStock Electronics » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:56 am

Hey all

Ellis is back in stock on my webshop and got firmware update v1.0.1 for Ellis online. Get it here.

Added:

- Trans input calibration open and available for users
- Improved Trigger Out
- Improved Morphing
- Improved Trans input tracking
- Different brightness while editing

Fixed:

- Corrected voct/volt conversion bug
- Corrected colour +5V in calibration

Have a great weekend!

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am

From the setup manual - Sequencing mode Green (0-5v) assign Value to a preset - how is this done? Inside Ellis? or does it follow 1v/o curve?

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am

So i've got it, i actually got 3 of them. Superb module. One issue - can you please add option for deselecting automatically when i press other matrix button ? 80% of the time i want to change one parameter, not many. Deselecting every time i want to change something is tiresome especially when there is none indicator on which matrix button i am now... maybe easier is to add "blinking" light on selected matrix buttons...

To be more specific :
Currently, when going to edit mode, i edit P1, click on P2, and when i turn the knob im editing P1 & P2 together. I'd love the behavior to be :
On P2 press - leave P1 at chosen value > deselect P1 > select P2 > start editing P2 value.

Then when in Edit mode i can hold Bank button and click on matrix to add/subtract from selection to edit groups.

gcheliotis
Common Wiggler

Post by gcheliotis » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am

Hey I haven't posted on here in ages, but felt compelled to because I wanted to say that even though I love your designs from a utility and musical perspective, I am unfortunately really put off by your panel designs. The old one and even more the new one sadly. I will go so far as to risk hurting someone's feelings by saying they look very amateurish. I understand it may be an aesthetic choice and that tastes may differ of course, but please collaborate with a good graphic designer. It is perhaps a superficial thing, but it's holding this buyer back and there's likely others like me.

midigods
Learning to Wiggle

Post by midigods » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:37 pm

I can't believe how many eurorack "collectors" are concerned about the color of the faceplate. I'm WAY more concerned about what Ellis can and can't do.

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 am

Really enjoying this module so far, though I wish the manual was a little more detailed. The UI hasn’t clicked for me yet, but it’s coming along. One thing I haven’t figured out is the Randomize function... my understanding is that you just have to hold a preset button when you’re in the Preset Select mode. When I do this the display rapidly scrolls 0’s, which seems right, but then nothing actually changes. I’ve been trying this in various ways but haven’t found a solution. The first run I had with the module I *thought* I had gotten it to work, but as I was just kind of noodling with it maybe not.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm

As mildly irritated as I am by companies suddenly switching their colour schemes, get a grip, man.

Are there any/any users that have come here from a Voltage Block ? I'd love to know how your experiences differ, pro and cons?

Just from looking, VB looks like it has more of a musical feel but isn't without its quirks. I've got a Maze that I've not really dug into, not sure if time or somehow unmotivated by the workflow. Does Ellis seem easier to learn?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Sun May 03, 2020 11:07 am

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm
As mildly irritated as I am by companies suddenly switching their colour schemes, get a grip, man.

Are there any/any users that have come here from a Voltage Block ? I'd love to know how your experiences differ, pro and cons?

Just from looking, VB looks like it has more of a musical feel but isn't without its quirks. I've got a Maze that I've not really dug into, not sure if time or somehow unmotivated by the workflow. Does Ellis seem easier to learn?
So... i currently have Polyend Preset, Emblematic System Cataclysm & Livestock Ellis... and while i love the module for how much you get out of 12 hp, the UI/UX side of things is nowhere near the immediacy of other two offerings.

Hirsbro
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Hirsbro » Mon May 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Got one in the mail ... one thing is not clear to me, so I watched this youtube vid about the ellis and I got the impression that you can only edit the "green" side? is that really true?

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bedhed3000 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:26 pm

Bumping this, as I am thinking of replacing my Voltage Block with a more preset/controller oriented module. Looking at Ellis and Dnipro Metamorph the most seriously for now. I'd also love to hear about the experience of anyone who has used both VB and Ellis.

My main gripe with VB is that you need to manually save your changes. Your changed values/settings don't remain after a power cycle unless you hold Save and select a slot. Am I safe in assuming that, with Ellis, your presets are not retained over a power cycle w/o pressing "FUNC" after editing a preset?

Another Question: can you cycle through presets by sending triggers into the select input (like a sequencer being clocked)? Or do you have to select presets with a continuous CV (like an LFO or CV sequence)?

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:00 pm

I just got Ellis in the mail. Love the box, especially the shaped foam insert to protect the module and even a separate little envelope with the screws attached to the box lid. Packed like a luxury item!

nohumans
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nohumans » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:34 pm

Has anyone been able to get the CV Selection mode "Continuous" to work? On my unit, the different LEDS light up when selecting via CV, however, this does not actually change the preset under the hood. I have confirmed that I am not on "the wrong side" or anything like that. I have also tried it with both sides and no luck. I can get this to work when using the trigger modes. Maybe a firmware bug?

jfprimeau
Common Wiggler

Post by jfprimeau » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 pm

I did run into a similar thing. The right side would react properly to cv selection, but not the left side (if i remember correctly). Also, changing the preset on the right side via trigger/cv always triggers the trigger output, but not the left side.

Someone else earlier in the thread mentionned a problem with the random generation. For me, it spins the display as expected, but the the preset is all set to 0 everywhere instead of random values.

I think a firmware update to fix the few remaining bugs would make this good module a great one.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi! I just one in the mail today.
First day but im confused about edting presets.
When editing a preset in red mode, and pressing the pad that corresponds to the cv out, sometimes it mutes it, sometimes 2 cv outs are edited at the same time..- there is no feedback on which one us being edited or muted?
Only work around i have found is go out of edit mode and go back in edit mode. Waste of time to be honest.
Could we possibly have a blinking pad so we know which one of cv values we are editing please?
Apart from that hiccup , great module congrats

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:37 pm

I updated to the latest firmware and is all working great save the randomizer, does some one know what i might be doing wrong?
Contacted livestock but have not heard yet.
Cheers

oliodnb
Common Wiggler

Post by oliodnb » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

How well does the CV selection of the presets works?
I'm looking for a preset module and Ellis would be the perfect size compared to the Voltage Block or the Polyend Preset, but the manual and the few videos around aren't very clear.
I'm not really interested in the morphing function but I need to be able to easily select presets from my sequencer.

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Bumping this thread:

Can we please have a button or encoder press as shift for multiselection and normal operation be just press + tweak, and next press deselects previous + keeps the value you set?

Press tweak, press - tweak, press - tweak. Having to deselect every time is adding 8 clicks x 8 banks for programming every time.
We could use other stuff for multi select ~~~

Pretty please with the cherry on top.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”