"Esoteric" drum machine

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

"Esoteric" drum machine

Post by jadrowsky88 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm

This is my project for an "esoteric" drum machine

Sound sources are BIA, Karp Meng Qi, Akemie's Taiko so far, eventually adding Plonk or Erica Synth Drum Module.

What do you think?

I'd like some suggestion regarding logic modules or ways to make it more generative. What would you change/add? thanks

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: "Esoteric" drum machine

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:08 pm

if 'esoteric' is what your going for maybe instead of plonk or a dedicated drum module, maybe try a module that isnt a drum module that could make drum sounds for more interesting, unique sound. mulit peak filters like klangbau twin peak and ssf stereo dipole are great for this and make awesome drum voices. noise modules used with filters and LPG's is great too. maybe two simple analog vcos and lpg too for fm drum sounds.

for logic, check out Plog and A-166 or Artificial Neural Network
Last edited by brandonlogic on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

Post by jadrowsky88 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention that I have another case with Cs-l, Telharmonic, Mangrove as voices, which I also use as drum sounds through lpgs, but this rack I would like to focus more on modules to develop it as a drum machine, using modules specifically for rhythms, glitches and drum sounds.

Twin peak filter is a really good adivce

brandonlogic wrote:if 'esoteric' is what your going for maybe instead of plonk or a dedicated drum module, maybe try a module that isnt a drum module that could make drum sounds for more interesting, unique sound. mulit peak filters like klanbau twin peak and ssf stereo dipole are great for this and make awesome drum voices. noise modules used with filters and LPG's is great too. maybe two simple analog vcos and lpg too for fm drum sounds.
for logic, check out Plog and A-166 or Artificial Neural Network

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 pm

I was on a similar mission recently ..I now use MI Rings and Plaits for world percussion sounds. I had mainly used two MI Peaks with MI Grids for base ,snare,hi hat duties, knowing they can be Lfos and EGs when needed too. I did add a Taiko hoping to generate an open/close hi hat without using samples.

All the best with your project.
rgds Pav

Pav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pav » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Oh forgot to mention I'm trying out a 2HP Burst utility module for more pattern variety . Other burst modules are also available of course.
rgds Pav

thebends9
Common Wiggler

Post by thebends9 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:23 pm

Id drop Akemie and add Matter II.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:17 am

thebends9 wrote:Id drop Akemie and add Matter II.
Yes, Matter ii is the first thing that comes to my mind when I'm reading "esoteric drum machine". It makes all kinds of sounds from nice Bongo like sounds to totally wild animal like howls to industrial noises and it's also good at processing external sources. I use it a lot piping individual outputs of my Drumbrute through it.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:48 am

It doesn't look esoteric for me. But rather classic drum modular machine, specially if you add a Plonk.

You want esoteric? Add a filter, ping it, go for more obscur/weird modules and a real esoteric approach, not ready-to-go modules.

But it's just me!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 am

Logica XT is cool

Plonk is.. decent. Can do drones and basically anything. It's not a classic drum machine. Can sound a bit thin sometimes. I went for Prok drums instead, more happy with how they sound. Hope they update it soon though, its not perfect.

Drips is pretty nice. There's a v2 now i think.

Jomox M.Brane 11. Really good sound.

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 am

bemushroomed wrote:Plonk is.. decent. Can do drones and basically anything. It's not a classic drum machine.
[...]
+1
There isn't terribly much space left in that rack, I'd look at something complementary to the desired concept. Some intuitive interaction, like a synthwerks fsr 2, or maybe MI ears, and a compressor with some extras, God's box Lollipop or the WMD compressor.
That Matter II looks really interesting, definitely, but I also feel some people here a messing up the terms esoteric and experimental...

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:11 am

It doesn't look esoteric for me. But rather classic drum modular machine
I took O/P to mean "esoteric" in comparison to a traditional drum machine rather than esoteric by modular standards :hmm:

bibleblack
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bibleblack » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am

I would recommend the Future sound systems FIL1 less as a drum module more a weird envelpe or modulator (although it does make a nice sub bass kick which you can then use the + out to trigger/envelope other noisier modules).

Also second the addition of some crazy filters and more noise sources

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:16 am

What about folktek matter II to go next to that other folktek you got there?
Matter is an excellent source for unusual drum sounds.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:25 am

+1 on the Twin Peak. I have been able to get everything from kicks and snares to tambourine-like sounds with that and a noise source, envelope+VCA :sb:

Logic modules, clock dividers and seq switches is a cool way to make rhythms, Ladik and RYO for exemple have affordable 4hp logic modules. The RYO modules can be abused as audio manglers too, I like my XOR/XNOR for this also.

Doepfer A-151 switch, A-160-2 clock divider and the mighty A-152 would be my recommendations too :tu:

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

Post by jadrowsky88 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 pm

brandonlogic wrote:What about folktek matter II to go next to that other folktek you got there?

Yes it's under my radar but I'm not sure how much control there's on the sound, the demo have nice sounds but I'm not sure if it's easy to tame it

HZR
Common Wiggler

Post by HZR » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 am

jadrowsky88 wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:What about folktek matter II to go next to that other folktek you got there?

Yes it's under my radar but I'm not sure how much control there's on the sound, the demo have nice sounds but I'm not sure if it's easy to tame it
Matter (1&2) are the first thing what comes to my mind when i read Esoteric drum machine.

I got MatterII a couple months ago and i sometimes end up patching almost nothing and just using it standalone. You can get so much out of this module like blips, cuts, drones and stuff.
The other day i got a nice pwm with rate control.

You can still write down some sounds you archive with it when you want to recall them. So its kind of predictable sometimes.

Maybe look at instagram, there are much more sound demos of it than on youtube.

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:40 am

If you want esoteric, have you ever thought about electro-acoustic sounds? The Koma Field Kit might be a good addition.

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

Post by jadrowsky88 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:46 pm

JM Midnight wrote:If you want esoteric, have you ever thought about electro-acoustic sounds? The Koma Field Kit might be a good addition.
I had it but I didn't enjoy it so much, I mean it's good for sound design and experimentation but I think that similar results can be achieved with samples or other modules, I see it more useful for installation art rather than eurorack music creation, I want something esoteric as sound but with a "traditional" eurorack interface as module

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 am

HZR wrote:
You can still write down some sounds you archive with it when you want to recall them. So its kind of predictable sometimes.

I take cellphone pics of patches I like. Of course that only works if you keep the same things plugged into the trigger and modulation inputs. It's highly sensitive to the width and amplitude of triggers and you can patch other signals than triggers into the trigger inputs to make it sound (like the outputs of other drum modules).
On the opposite "edgy" modulation signals like sequencers or s&h on the modulation inputs can trigger Matter. And then there's the drone mayhem you can unleash if you plug more than one banana into one patch matrix.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:34 am

If you go more traditional generation style (or not) than I would suggest a 2HP Freeze. Fast cv inputs and audio out into a fast enveloped VCA seem odd. I use the Tiptop VCA.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

jadrowsky88
Common Wiggler

Post by jadrowsky88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:05 pm

MindMachine wrote:If you go more traditional generation style (or not) than I would suggest a 2HP Freeze. Fast cv inputs and audio out into a fast enveloped VCA seem odd. I use the Tiptop VCA.
I had it but I got tired of it after a while, it sounded all the same to me and didn't like so much the sound outcome of it

carlfunkenn
Common Wiggler

Post by carlfunkenn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:39 am

[quote="jadrowsky88"]This is my project for an "esoteric" drum machine

Very nice project! :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”