cre8audio

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, lisa, luketeaford, Joe.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:49 am

styledelk wrote:I started my true descent down the rabbit hole with this, arrived this week. Already pairing nicely with my 0-Coast and MiniBrute 2-- the LFO comes in handy and the oscillators are easily routed over [and back!]. The sequencer has a lot of possibilities combined with the 0-Coast's functions.

And I just added a Tides v1 that I picked up from Control used. So it begins.

Next up Disting, Plaits, a VCA (for now the Brute will do) and Mixer.
It happens fast, huh? I’d b interested to hear how you end up with yours.

My plan was to use it for signal processing primarily, but here’s where mine is after a week.

[/img]Image

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:20 am

e x c e l l e n t !

did I mention that the sound of Chips and the overall quality of the NiftyCASE is way better than expected - especially for that low price!

Cells will be explored later...

8-)
red

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Just discovered these today.

The two modules are $99 each... or $35 each if you get them in the bundle. Even $99 for that touch sequencer module is a steal in euroland. And the power supply has plenty of juice on tap. It really is an insane value.

I'm thinking about grabbing the set as an "expansion" to my Mantis and/or as a more portable rack to use for live sets.

I primarily sequence from MIDI so there's basically no downside to this case from me. Really excited to see what else comes down the pike from Cre8Audio!

cobarde
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cobarde » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:58 am

I got mine! I like. Trying not to immediately spend $one million dollars$ filling up my bargain case. :-)

ddpxl
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ddpxl » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm

I got mine as well two weeks ago, and I created an account here to post this. I wasn't planning on getting into Eurorack anytime soon but then I saw this case... and I'm hooked now :)

The folks at Cre8audio put something together quite special IMHO. The bundled modules are usable together out of the box for some fun explorations. And because it comes with MIDI IN / Audio Out built-in, it's easy to integrate it with your computer to tie you over until you spend all your money on additional modules.

I'm currently pairing with it Ableton and VCV to explore what I might get next.

Highly recommended!

Jfalconcrest
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jfalconcrest » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 am

Can anyone attest to the power supply on the Nifty? I just got mine, no modules yet, but after reading up on potential problems with cheap power, I’d like to know whats up Before I connect some Modules...

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:32 am

Jfalconcrest wrote:Can anyone attest to the power supply on the Nifty? I just got mine, no modules yet, but after reading up on potential problems with cheap power, I’d like to know whats up Before I connect some Modules...
No issues with mine with the case fully loaded.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: cre8audio

Post by Pighood » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:43 pm

That's a rather nifty kit
*phnert*

plytheman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plytheman » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:12 am

So a few months on now, how are folks getting along with the Nifty Case? What have ya'll bought to compliment it? I immediately got a uVCA and a 2HP ADSR so I could wrangle Chips into order. Also just recently added a Disting and Pam's New Workout. Disting has been fun to play with as a quantizer, now I've been running Chips VCO2 into it on Wave Animator into my MF-101 for some drones. It's been fun mixing Chips in with 0-Coast as well, especially the FM input. I'm putting a hiatus on new modules now with about half the rack still empty to really mull on what I want next. The MF 101 is awesome but I'll probably want a filter soon. Also I definitely need a mixer. The new Dreadbox VCF/Mixer is tempting but I might break it out to individual modules. Beyond that the X-Pan looks wicked but I need a stereo out module to get the most of it since the Nifty Case is summed mono.

I've run into a couple funky issues with the modules and have had a conversation with Crea8 folks via email but have others run into these? One is that the Gate out from Cellz will only trigger the ADSR if the attack is all the way down. If I send gates to the ADSR from Pam's it works as expected So I've just been multing the trigger to advance Cellz to ADSR as well. Not a big deal but kinda weird. The other issue is whenever I send signals into the VCO2 Width on Chips it affects the other VCO's timbre. When I'd sent the Width negative waves from the mini-Maths on 0-Coast it would wig out the timing on the LFO. The people at Cre8 I was emailing said they were looking into it and chalked it up as the 'unpredictable nature' of the module, which is fine enough for a cheap VCO, but definitely funky. Wondering if anyone else have run into strange behavior?

qiemem
Common Wiggler

Post by qiemem » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Here's what I got to fill mine out:

- I already had a Neutron, which pairs nicely
- Immediately got a Monsoon from After Later Audio.
- Maths
- nRings
- Mult from AI Synthesis
- Matrix Mixer from AI Synthesis; this is great because it can perform many duties in a relatively small footprint: final mixer, feedback, and CV mixer
- nRings
- modDemix since I wanted some VCAs besides what's on the Neutron, but also really like ring mod.
- Replaced Chipz with a uo_C running Hemisphere. I found I was only using Chipz for the LFOs, and the LFOs are pretty limited... no rate modulation and for some reason I couldn't get them to trigger my Maths.

Super happy with my current setup. Can jam on this thing for hours. The Neutron is a nice compliment since it has so many utilities, and has more traditional VCOs and VCF. That said... I do kind of wish I'd gone with a bigger case :P

As for the modules:

Cellz is really cool. You can do some fun stuff with randomizing the pathway through Cellz and such (if you've got something like Branches; I use the uo_C for this). The arpeggiator is definitely a nice touch; it can be finicky, but in kind of a happy accidents sort of way. I do have a few complaints though:
- Can't tune while playing
- Responds inconsistently to short triggers; for instance, it will frequently skip triggers from my uo_C. This has been super frustrating.
- "Gate" is really a trigger. You really can't use it as a gate afaict. This might be what plytheman is experiencing as well.
- I wish a negative trigger would cause it to go back a cell. Would really open up some complex sequencing possibilities.

Chipz has a lot going on, and is useful in any patch. I'm not crazy about how Chipz sounds, but it could definitely fit in nicely with some types of music. Sound aside, you get a good bit with this little module. Worst case, the two VCOs can be noise sources with controllable frequency, the depth knob on the LFO is super handy, and having metrically-related LFOs is pretty nice. The lack of CV controls over lots of stuff plus a few other grievances made me swap it out:
- Again, I couldn't get the LFOs to trigger my Maths (though I could get it to switch cycle on and off). Not totally sure what's going on here. I think their max voltage is 5v, so I guess Maths trigger voltage is just higher than that. Given that there's a depth knob, I really wish the max voltage was higher; say, 10v. Also, I tend to prefer bipolar LFOs, but nbd there.
- The filter on VCO 1 doesn't close all the way, which makes it impossible to get differentiated notes if you don't have any VCAs. The width on VCO 2 does go to 0 (iirc), which is nice.
- Similar to what plytheman mentioned, when you send negative voltages into... basically anywhere afaict, the rate of the LFOs would change. The solution I arrived at was to just not send negative voltages in, which seemed to be fine.

The case is decent enough. I do wish the output had been stereo, though I understand why they did summing (so that, out of the box, you get sounds from both VCOs without having them each in a different ear); a switch would be nice to control mono/stereo, but would've probably increased the price. Biggest grievance is the lack of any kind of volume or attenuation for when going straight into headphones. VCO 1 in particular is super loud. I honestly haven't tried the midi connector as I've got that on my Neutron.

I've also had pleasure of working with their support on a couple of occasions. When I first got the case, I started getting some weird behavior and it turned out that the -12v rail was underpowered. Support was super awesome. Walked me through diagnosing the problem and then shipped me a new case when we figured out what was going on. When I got the new case, I discovered that my Cellz seemed to have been fried by the old case (tune had stopped working). Reported and they promptly sent a replacement. Shout outs to Alex and Al for the help!

Eddi18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddi18 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:03 am

Hi Guys,
So I recently fell down the rabbit hole too. I bought a moog case with power, but as it turns out it was not proper Eurorack power but in fact a power supply for a DFam, no negative 12V.

After having an um and an ah and a few messages on another thread, I went ahead and bought the nifty bundle.

Firstly super excited to be getting into eurorack, it seems like you have a buzzing and active community!

Secondly I just wanted to clarify the volume issue that some people have been having.

So I’m running my 1/4” mono out into a Scarlett 2i2 and yes...super hot. Even with gain all the way down it is clipping.
I assume if I buy a VCA and put it in between chips and the output I will have full control over the volume?
Secondly my plan for my first module is Plaits, will I have the same problem with plaits if I don’t get the VCA first?

Thanks in advance for bearing with the noob.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Post by smithjohn » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:22 am

Yes, a VCA will attenuate the incoming if CV amount and possibly gain offset are adjusted suitably.

The simplest way to reduce levels to your sound card is a passive attenuator, but then again who wouldn't want VCAs?

Eddi18
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Eddi18 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:18 pm

smithjohn wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:22 am
Yes, a VCA will attenuate the incoming if CV amount and possibly gain offset are adjusted suitably.

The simplest way to reduce levels to your sound card is a passive attenuator, but then again who wouldn't want VCAs?
Cool, thanks. I’ll keep looking!

JayEm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JayEm » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:26 pm

So i broke down and ordered this tonight.
BandCamp Instagram
"peoples moist elbow cruxes, sodden with phlegm" - Joe.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:49 am

Will order this in a few weeks. Just ordered and received a Panharmonium as my first piece, and waiting for my funds to re-accumulate so I can pick this up. I already have a MIDI to CV converter on both my Minibrute 2 and my Beat Step Pro, but having two more routing options (especially as the MIDI to CV is negated by running the sequencer/arpeggiator on the Minibrute, from what I understand) is always a good thing.

I am really looking to go the other way, though...CV to MIDI, and none of my current gear can help me with that. Anyway, looking forward to this case next month.
Last edited by Peng33 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onusbone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Onusbone » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 am

I purchased it in February as an introduction to the format and, speaking from a newbs perspective, I honestly love the thing. I decided on it because the powered case and 2 simple mods was such a solid return on investment, and after some use and small experience that has been borne out. I've gotten to the point where I will need to drop the 2 included modules in order to make room for wackier things and while Chipz is feeling a bit limited, my continued enjoyment of Cellz is making me do the math on starting a second case.

I would say that for someone thinking of getting involved in a fun, rewarding, and gear-heavy hobby, this case is simultaneously a wonderful and wonderfully disastrous financial decision.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:52 pm

I only discovered this bundle today while looking for expansion options since I've run out of space in my current setup. The case by itself seems like an elegant solution to my problem, and for the price, I could not resist ordering.

I plan on using the case as a control surface, specifically for MIDI interfacing, sequencers and tactile/hands-on CV modules, so the included modules were just gravy. I am curious to try Cellz. And based on samples I've heard, I personally like the rather "manky" sound of Chipz, which gives me that warm, fuzzy NES-through-12" TV speakers feeling. I have to admit that I probably wouldn't buy it standalone either, but as an included "freebie", I'm excited about it.

I also bought another Mantis. :bang:
useless

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 am

Getting a lot of use out of mine.

Might need to swap out the Cellz today, as I ordered Brain Seed that will arrive today. Actually, will probably drop that in next to the Disting until I get the MIDI breakout. Then I will need another case. This stimulus money cannot arrive quickly enough.
Attachments
20200714_004347_HDR.jpg

duelinmarkers
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duelinmarkers » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm happy with my NiftyBUNDLE (and 8hp away from packing it full: Chipz, Cellz, BeeHive, Monsoon, Stages, Cinnamon, 2hp Euclid, Void Modular Hexagram).

I'd love to get it up off my table and angled for more ergonomic access (above a Neutron sometimes, Synthstrom Deluge other times). Has anyone bought or built a stand that works for this? One thing I worry about is a stand looking ideal and then sliding around as soon as I try to patch the thing.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:44 am

As much as I like the idea of this package, I was really disappointed to discover the rails aren't even properly aligned in the case I received, and there appears to be no way of adjusting them. What the fuuuuuck? When will I learn there's never going to be an exception to "If it sounds too good to be true..." and "You get what you pay for"? The case was the main selling point of this package for me, too. As it stands, trying to mount modules relatively neatly, without an obvious tilt or weird, uneven gaps between them, has been such a pain. I've opted not to use the thing at all until I completely run out of options with my 2nd Mantis case, which shouldn't be for a while.

On the bright side, I've had some interesting experiences with the included modules. Not always stellar experiences, mind you. Both are a bit weird and buggy at times, though Chips (which is inexplicably listed everywhere as "Chipz" with a Z, but look at the graphic) is definitely a not-always-but-often endearingly weird one with a variety of tricks up its sleeve. It's definitely a decent supplemental module, in spite of its weird quirks, as it offers a variety of functions I can make use of in a pinch. It also makes neat sounds when fed back into itself.
useless

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 am

Question what have been people's experience in adding a second flying bus? It's mentioned in the FAQ section on the Cr8audio website. I'm just wondering if it causes any power instabilities. As I plan how I will fill mine, I may want a 11 or 12th module that will need power.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am

pmboos wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 am
Question what have been people's experience in adding a second flying bus? It's mentioned in the FAQ section on the Cr8audio website. I'm just wondering if it causes any power instabilities. As I plan how I will fill mine, I may want a 11 or 12th module that will need power.
It should be fine as long as you stay under the power limits. You could always use a few 4MS pod multi power cables to add extra modules without things getting super crowded underneath.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:13 pm

xcc wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:43 am
pmboos wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:14 am
It should be fine as long as you stay under the power limits. You could always use a few 4MS pod multi power cables to add extra modules without things getting super crowded underneath.
I did this in the last few days, got one of the 4ms 3 in one type deals and have added it to the end of the flying bus with my lowest power drain modules attached to it. No issues to report so far!

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Either of you mind pointing to where you bought your 4Ms cables? I am assuming (without removing modules to check) there is a second adaptor in the case or do I need to chain it off the end of the current one?
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:52 pm

You need to chain it off the existing cable, which is why I elected to put my lowest drain modules through it.

I got mine from Signal Sounds: https://www.signalsounds.com/4ms-pod-mu ... 10-pin-x-3

Return to “Eurorack Modules”