What's in your 4U Palette?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:32 pm
Location: Clinton, NY

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Rocking this right now... my original plan was to have the Palette just be a "going on a trip" case, but it's turned into a separate little industrial drum machine. Last 8 hp are going to go to a 4 channel mute module and... well, something else :hmm:

Image

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by soggybag » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am

What do you use for the out on your 4u palette? I'm split between the 1u headphone out or the 1u line out. Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?

I'd use the headphone often but the line out would get a lot of use.

User avatar
mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by mrhooks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 am

soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am
Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?
The line out has a 3-pin output that can send to a 3-pin input on the headphone out.

I wish they would have consolidated the two into a single module; it would save a few HP by eliminating unnecessary input jacks, more if it used a single shared volume knob. I also suggested redesigning the headphone out and line out so they can be used together to allow cueing and mixing their inputs together, but it's all wishful thinking.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by soggybag » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am

mrhooks wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 am
soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am
Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?
The line out has a 3-pin output that can send to a 3-pin input on the headphone out.

I wish they would have consolidated the two into a single module; it would save a few HP by eliminating unnecessary input jacks, more if it used a single shared volume knob. I also suggested redesigning the headphone out and line out so they can be used together to allow cueing and mixing their inputs together, but it's all wishful thinking.
Good ideas. I’d like to have both headphone and line out. The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette, I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.

I just ordered a palette but just went with the headphone jack for now.

User avatar
Yaitw
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Estonia

Re:

Post by Yaitw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm

gluepet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:52 am
exper wrote:I'm thinking of either getting another (or swapping modules from my main cases) to make it a control skiff:
Image
Looking at doing something similar for a hybrid system w/vcv. Maybe swap the second tetrapad for an es-8 and a pam’s...
The ES-8 will never fit into the Palette tho.
Too shallow

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by versipellis » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:31 pm

It's doable, Os suggested risers and people have done it.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, 4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

User avatar
mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by mrhooks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 am

soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am
The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette
How so?
I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.
Mixup can connect directly to the jacks internally. But AFAIK Mixup does not drop signals to line level, so that suggests that the last set of stereo inputs, which don't have an attenuator, will be output at full Eurorack level. Assuming Intellijel doesn't want to redesign Mixup to include line level output, perhaps they could add a jumper to lower those inputs?
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Boston

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by versipellis » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm

mrhooks wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 am
soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:02 am
The line out 1u panel seems to waste the jacks built into the palette
How so?
I’d like these to act as line out without taking up panel space in the 1u row.
Mixup can connect directly to the jacks internally. But AFAIK Mixup does not drop signals to line level, so that suggests that the last set of stereo inputs, which don't have an attenuator, will be output at full Eurorack level. Assuming Intellijel doesn't want to redesign Mixup to include line level output, perhaps they could add a jumper to lower those inputs?
I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Mixup to the output stereo jacks on the Palette case does attenuate. I'm not doing any attenuation on my mixer and its coming in at the same level as most of my outboard stuff.
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, 4x Frap Tools Plus cases (6Ux84hp)]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234975

User avatar
mrhooks
Common Wiggler
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by mrhooks » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 pm

versipellis wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:01 pm
I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Mixup to the output stereo jacks on the Palette case does attenuate. I'm not doing any attenuation on my mixer and its coming in at the same level as most of my outboard stuff.
I guess that connector is different from the front jacks then. That's good to know!
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

User avatar
davidjames
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:53 am
Location: Austin

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by davidjames » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm

soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am
What do you use for the out on your 4u palette? I'm split between the 1u headphone out or the 1u line out. Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?

I'd use the headphone often but the line out would get a lot of use.
I think you can use both. In the Stereo Line Out 1U manual, it says you can use the 3-pin connector to duplicate the stereo signal to the 1U headphones, and use the 6-pin connector to drive the 1/4" jacks on the case. Although it doesn't explicitly say you can use both at the same time, unless I missed it. I hope it does since I would use it this way.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by soggybag » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 pm

davidjames wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 pm
soggybag wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 am
What do you use for the out on your 4u palette? I'm split between the 1u headphone out or the 1u line out. Really I'd like to have both can they be connected internally?

I'd use the headphone often but the line out would get a lot of use.
I think you can use both. In the Stereo Line Out 1U manual, it says you can use the 3-pin connector to duplicate the stereo signal to the 1U headphones, and use the 6-pin connector to drive the 1/4" jacks on the case. Although it doesn't explicitly say you can use both at the same time, unless I missed it. I hope it does since I would use it this way.
Thanks for that reply. I’ll give it a try. I bought palette and a headphone 1u module, they’re in the mail.

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by soggybag » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:46 pm

I bought a Palette case and the 1U Stereo Line Out. The Palette is pretty awesome. Works great and looks good. It’s a good size for thinking about a couple modules or contained ideas. The depth isn’t a problem though I do have a module that doesn’t fit.

Here’s a question: I have the Stereo Line Out, it connects to the built in jacks with a 3 pin cable. If I get the 1U headphone Out can I connect the line out to the headphone out and still send the line out to the jacks on the case? It would cool to have the line out along with the headphones. You could listen to the headphones and record from the line out.

User avatar
ATW
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Location: Northampton, MA
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

Loving the palette so far.

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4, that’ll give me a plenty of sequencing and sound sources to play with and loads of triggers, gates, envelopes and midi data. I am using this primarily to create rhythmic patterns and polyrhythms, sometimes melodic. I’ll also be bringing my external semi modular monosynth into one of the vca inputs. it is light on fx, I am going to lean on the mk4 for that.
Attachments
Intellijel palette v1
Intellijel palette v1
6A104211-1023-4A32-9DCF-F2E4A74B4DA3.jpeg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 507 times

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 pm

I made a little video about my use of the Palette earlier this month; had a blast playing with this over the holiday. Using the 301 as a looper and sampler playing, and pushing the SY-05 to the max :

instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

User avatar
MarkSinister
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by MarkSinister » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm

ATW wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4
Maybe worthwhile checking if other wrigglers have been able to get the Tip-top One and Disting Mk 4 to fit in a palette case as they are both relatively deep modules. I guess it depends on where the power cable is located on these modules. Good luck.

User avatar
exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10135
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am
Location: Southern NJ

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by exper » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:01 pm

MarkSinister wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm
ATW wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am

I’m planning to fill the remaining 8hp with a Tiptop one sampler and an mk4
Maybe worthwhile checking if other wrigglers have been able to get the Tip-top One and Disting Mk 4 to fit in a palette case as they are both relatively deep modules. I guess it depends on where the power cable is located on these modules. Good luck.
I fit a disting 4 in a palette. Not much room to spare, but it did fit.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Image

User avatar
ATW
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Location: Northampton, MA
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

MarkSinister wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:50 pm
Maybe worthwhile checking if other wrigglers have been able to get the Tip-top One and Disting Mk 4 to fit in a palette case as they are both relatively deep modules. I guess it depends on where the power cable is located on these modules. Good luck.
Good call, thanks. I was able to fit the tall dog uplaits which is 43mm depth (incl ribbon), mk4 is 42mm (not sure if that includes the ribbon). The palette case depth is a bit shallower on the sides of the case, will have to do a bit of strategic ribbon tetris, for sure.🤞

User avatar
ATW
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Location: Northampton, MA
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Here's where I landed with the current state of my 4U Palette. Everything fit—a bit snug on the right half, to be sure. More modules = more cables to wrangle, especially on the right inside corner where there are doulbed up power cables for audio + uMidi, along w/ the usb power port. I wasn't able to get the exact module layout I wanted, I wanted the Mk4 further to the right, but pretty close. OK off to have fun with this…
Attachments
Intellijel palette v1.1
Intellijel palette v1.1
IMG_3456-palette-case-.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 377 times

User avatar
Spir4L
Common Wiggler
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:13 am
Location: London

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Spir4L » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi guys,
I was thinking about creating a minimal setup to use together with my Digitakt and this is what I ended up with:
Image

what are your thoughts?
Attachments
Eurorack.png
Eurorack.png (325.11 KiB) Viewed 325 times

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1518
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:57 pm

This should be quite fun to jam with, but maybe light on modulation ? Although I never quite got what you could do with Drezno.

I put this little thing together for the coming week, decided to go with the LIP this time.

It sounds like this :
http://www.instagram.com/p/B8o5ukrhFMb/
Attachments
60347904911__4C1DE3C4-B731-4C4F-8A17-478E2A0AC271.jpg
60347904911__4C1DE3C4-B731-4C4F-8A17-478E2A0AC271.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 290 times
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

cjstandley
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by cjstandley » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Image


Current plan, might change function for MI stages and three sisters for squawk dirty.

User avatar
ATW
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Location: Northampton, MA
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Looks good, keeping things nicely focused. There’s always the possibility of micro plaits and clouds to free up some hp.

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:44 pm

I've named it lerilletui

Image

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 pm

5D913AE7-D6CC-418F-9DAC-DD357569F140.jpeg

User avatar
ATW
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Location: Northampton, MA
Contact:

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by ATW » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Looks like some nice audio mangling is on deck. And the black & gold & silver play well together here. HWhat is the module furthest to the left w/ the clear knob?

Cheers

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”