What's in your 4U Palette?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Re: What's in your 4U Palette?

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 pm

ATW wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:50 pm
Looks like some nice audio mangling is on deck. And the black & gold & silver play well together here. HWhat is the module furthest to the left w/ the clear knob?

Cheers
looks like the qu-bit nano rand.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am

That’s a Qu-Bit Nano Rand v2. Nice module!

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 am

I just picked up one of these as a more portable, focused case. Fun!

Last edited by induktor on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Thought about the most recent Noise Engineering blog post and came up with this as an idea for a NerdSeq groovebox.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1129794

Thoughts?

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:41 am

LameAim wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:27 pm
Thought about the most recent Noise Engineering blog post and came up with this as an idea for a NerdSeq groovebox.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1129794

Thoughts?
At this point, you're pretty close to just creating that new polyend tracker, heh
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Prologue 16, Fusion Mixer v3, Qu-bit Prism, Intellijel uMIDI 1U, Raging Bull 3.0, NE Zularic Repetitor]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=239013

gluepet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gluepet » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:46 pm

FYI, If you have not yet seen them, Ricky Tinez and Mylar Melodies both have some nice content dedicated to the Palette on YT. Mylar recently launched a series of suggested system videos for the case: https://youtu.be/B40AizE6i2g

NotHerbert
Common Wiggler

Post by NotHerbert » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Here's what I was thinking:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1186892

I'm not sure if the Ts-L or the FX Aid will fit, though. Anyone know how the power connectors are placed on those?

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:24 pm

I'm not sure if the Ts-L or the FX Aid will fit, though. Anyone know how the power connectors are placed on those?
There are twelve 16-pin power connectors on the board, you might need to factor that in w/ the number of modules in your case.

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:30 pm

NotHerbert wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:17 pm

FX Aid will fit, I have it in a palette right now. You're going to need a short flying bus cable to put in all those modules - there's only 12 power headers. ctrl-mod has a nice 5 plug bus cable that would give you the extra 4 you need. I got one for exactly this purpose but haven't gotten around to actually using it. It will be very tight in there but I think it can be done.

Jondue
Common Wiggler

Post by Jondue » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:37 pm

NotHerbert wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:17 pm

I was looking at putting together something similar to this, but then discovered there are only 12 power slots available. I think there are dedicated power connections for a few of the Intellijel 1u tiles, like uMidi.

NotHerbert
Common Wiggler

Post by NotHerbert » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Good point about the power connectors. I had forgotten about that. Still might be possible with a flying bus cable, as SavageMessiah suggested.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm

Flying bus cable idea sounds like a good theory to test.

There are dedicated power connectors to the inside right side of the bus board that bridge the case’s audio and midi jacks to any modules connected to the 12 main power connector. Also one (or two?) that are small for powering the 1u USB port module. I have that module, and use it to power an SQ-1 and an NTS-1.

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shakespeare » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:09 pm

I picked up a flying bus cable for mine, works fine (though of course space is at a premium in there).

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 pm

Let’s see some more palettes. Just got one myself, and I’m loving it.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 am

Nice percussion setup. I was thinking of a similar palette, actually very close to this (AT, Sample Drum, Pluck, Pams, a wav player, and a couple more things). Looks like you managed to use every power header. Do you feel like you have enough modulation sources? With Pams and mults you prob have a lot of it covered. I know AT and Sample drum fan handle a good number and of cv ins. Cheers

BonJoey
Common Wiggler

Post by BonJoey » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:35 pm

Fun thread! Here's my current palette. I keep it on top of my desk so that it's always quickly accessible. I recently moved the Ansible to the left side, but all of the modules in there are still the same.
IMG_1003.jpeg

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Palette vs 3.0, control skiff mode.

Sending CV to a 6U case, which is about 50/50 percussion/synths, vcas/envelopes/mixers/fx and a wav player. The audio all routes back to the palette in a stereo pair via a Hyrlo, and often goes through the Overseer at the end before going out of the palette outs and into an audio interface. Shifty is going to trade places with something in the 6u case to reduce the spaghetti.
Attachments
7290D538-9CFA-4EFF-964A-0587B962A069.jpeg

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm

ATW wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 am
Nice percussion setup. I was thinking of a similar palette, actually very close to this (AT, Sample Drum, Pluck, Pams, a wav player, and a couple more things). Looks like you managed to use every power header. Do you feel like you have enough modulation sources? With Pams and mults you prob have a lot of it covered. I know AT and Sample drum fan handle a good number and of cv ins. Cheers
Pam's definitely is struggling to keep up with all this, but still brings it to life. The mults help, but I'm thinking about cramming in a noise tools or something to help out. At the moment it's connected partially to my 7U case (mainly for recording samples into a Squid Salmpler), but I wanted something that could stand alone as well.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm

ATW wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 pm
Palette vs 3.0, control skiff mode.

Sending CV to a 6U case, which is about 50/50 percussion/synths, vcas/envelopes/mixers/fx and a wav player. The audio all routes back to the palette in a stereo pair via a Hyrlo, and often goes through the Overseer at the end before going out of the palette outs and into an audio interface. Shifty is going to trade places with something in the 6u case to reduce the spaghetti.
Man that's a fun setup. How do you like the Scales? I have one on the way.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:58 pm

xcc wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm
Pam's definitely is struggling to keep up with all this, but still brings it to life. The mults help, but I'm thinking about cramming in a noise tools or something to help out. At the moment it's connected partially to my 7U case (mainly for recording samples into a Squid Salmpler), but I wanted something that could stand alone as well.
Yeah that makes sense, and noise tools could provide some useful additional modulation for sure. i am remembering the NLC 1u sloths and i think a couple other similar modules they have, to get some free running modulation in the mix. Not too expensive either. I think they are the Intellijel 1u standard, gotta double check.

And thx for the feedback on my setup—Scales is good, it has a lot of functionality packed in there, and very playable/instant for getting going right away. Can be good to have an attenuator nearby to wrangle some of the modulation into narrower ranges before quantization. Similarly I’ve enjoyed using the Flexshaper for that, it moved to the bigger case but it is an interesting way to shape the pitch cv signal and emphasize different bands of the pitch cv. Enjoy it and let me know of any discoveries!

Airyck
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Airyck » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:47 pm

New here and to Modular.
My first build is going to be a 4U palette and I’m completely stuck on the idea of a trident (which eats up a huge amount of space).

I have a MIDIBox Seq V4 I built which I’m adding the Aout_ng board to.
I also have a keystep pro
CVOCD
and a Blackbox
For external controls and even CV recordings.

Newb Modular

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks for sharing + welcome!

With a limited amt of space here, a couple ideas around adding functionality and/or combining things to allow for more types of modules to better achieve a wider range of things. Assuming the Trident stays (yeah…it's huge) the Tallin and 141 might be able to be replaced w/ something like the Cosmotronic Delta-V (new sleeker looking version coming out soon I believe). Quant duties can be performed by the Disting, and an MMF or other compact filter could replace the Polaris (which is a nice choice, too). Just food for thought—keep going!

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ATW » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Thinking of configuring a complex oscillator style Palette to pair w/ a Digitakt. I've got a couple analog VCOs + a uFold going as the core complex osc unit, and then going from there to add a bit of modulation and fx. Digi will send pitch/clock and such into the uMidi.

Thoughts? Anything critical missing from your POV? Or that you would do differently?
Attachments
palette_complexosc.png

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 pm

ATW wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:22 pm
Thinking of configuring a complex oscillator style Palette to pair w/ a Digitakt. I've got a couple analog VCOs + a uFold going as the core complex osc unit, and then going from there to add a bit of modulation and fx. Digi will send pitch/clock and such into the uMidi.

Thoughts? Anything critical missing from your POV? Or that you would do differently?
Looks like fun!

Garnoth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Garnoth » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Maybe some more Palette's??

I want to use my palette case as a monophonic synth with a digitakt for techno (eventually aiming for live performance). But, I want it to be able to be used standalone so it needs both CV and pitch sequencing:

I also hope to incorporate some sequencing ideas from mylarmelodies, using the rnd step, S-141, steppy and digi to decouple trigger and CV sequencing. I can then use the A-185 to transpose melodies using digi and S-141 pitch information as inputs.

I am wondering though if it's not just better to switch S-141 for a vox digitalis. Or remove the S-141/rnd step combo and make room for a mimetic digitalis to take care of pitch sequencing. Any thoughts on this case? I am quite new at this.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”