LPZW.modules TRAM8 MIDI Converter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Re: LPZW.modules TRAM8 MIDI Converter

Post by kay_k » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 am

MvK wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 am
This would be perfect for me an my octatrack if it could just put out 8 gates of the 8 octas midichannels + 8 CCs. Just like the default FW but on seperate Midi-channels with gate-on on any note. For the CV outs velocity would be more important than 1v/oct, so there is no need to calibrate it AFAIKS. Since I have a sequencer in my rack I use the OT as a 8CH gate sequencer and with the OTs complex but fast rhythmical settings per track and trig conditions that can get very powerful. Resetting LFOs, Use as Clock divider, "rare" gates to switch things....
Hi, IMHO you do not need individual MIDI Ch on the TRAM8 .. you can just set all MIDI tracks to the same channel but change their note.
Basically no need for a different FW there. I am not far up enough my learning curve just yet but I think one can make a template on the Octatrack so you do not have to set it up everytime.
The other suggestion was for the case that you want to use a minimal amount of MIDI tracks but still take full advantage of the TRAM8. (preserving the other tracks for other synths n stuff)

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:13 pm

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Caught a firmware bug today:
seems like devices with continuous MIDI messages could result in hanging gates (for instance Octatrack, MOTU828)

download V1.1 of the original firmware (8 gates+velocity) from our website:
http://leipzigwest.org/?page_id=242

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Thinking about grabbing one of these to go with my sp-2400 that’ll be shipping in a month or two. Seems it would be a fun combo.

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Thinking about grabbing one of these to go with my sp-2400 that’ll be shipping in a month or two. Seems it would be a fun combo.
Oh, I haven't followed with those. I am surprised they are going to ship already. Nice! Let me know how it works out for you with our module!

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:53 pm

I made a Firmware as discussed before:
Gates as in the stock firmware.
CV Outs are CCs from 69-76 of the same channel.

This way DIGITAKT and OCTATRACK users can save on MIDI channels on their devices by utilizing polyphony but still get to output different CVs. (polyphony on Digitakt/Octa means all notes get the same velocity)
Another nice side effect is that you actually don't need to couple gates and CVs at all (by using gate-less trigs).
You are free to spread over as many OCTA/DIGI MIDI Tracks as you wish.

I am looking for someone to beta check this before I publish it.

señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by señor-bling » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 am

Very nice, would love to beta test it.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 am

señor-bling wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 am
Very nice, would love to beta test it.
It is up on the website .. I think I already found a bug tho (misrepresentation of CC maximum value on the output) but otherwise this is fun in combo with Octatrack (I now know I don't need a CV recorder anymore)

señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by señor-bling » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm

OK, stop me if I'm being too enthusiastic… but this thing just got far more useful than I ever expected. With the CC->CV converters detached from the gates, one can also send CV via Octatrack Midi LFOs and/or (conditional!) trigless trigs. Eight of them. With close to no configuration hassle at all. Crazy. Still need to wrap my head around the new possibilities. Perfect Octatrack->Eurorack companion. It's true, some other device might still be needed for Midi->Note CV if that's what you want, but you won't get more Octatrack modulation+gates per buck per HP into your Eurorack than with this.
Erm, right. I'm off, conditionally locking parameters and triggering trigless trigs...

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 am

señor-bling wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
OK, stop me if I'm being too enthusiastic… but this thing just got far more useful than I ever expected. With the CC->CV converters detached from the gates, one can also send CV via Octatrack Midi LFOs and/or (conditional!) trigless trigs. Eight of them. With close to no configuration hassle at all. Crazy. Still need to wrap my head around the new possibilities. Perfect Octatrack->Eurorack companion. It's true, some other device might still be needed for Midi->Note CV if that's what you want, but you won't get more Octatrack modulation+gates per buck per HP into your Eurorack than with this.
Erm, right. I'm off, conditionally locking parameters and triggering trigless trigs...
while testing this I accidentally gave my root note a LFO modulation of +1. I was wondering what the fuck is going on here. When I figured it out I was stoked. The Octa is def. one of the most craziest hardware sequencers I ever had.
LFO --> CC is super dope and I haven't even started with the custom LFO shapes.
The only thing I'd wish for is that they would have build in at least two MIDI outs so you wouldn't be crippled by the bandwidth so much (especially when using LFOs).

señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle

Post by señor-bling » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 am

Yep, with Midi LFOs it's getting crowded rather quickly. Especially since they're always active, even when the transport is stopped. Real bandwidth hogs. That's why I didn't use them much when I had the Octatrack connected to a larger setup. Currently I have it isolated controlling (almost) only Tram8 and an FH-2. Not the perfect setup either, but I'm quite happy with the situation for now.

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm

fixed the maximum value => 0V problem. This is also valid for the last version with velocity outputs (V1.1 now V1.1b)
Download from the leipzigwest.org website

Return to “Eurorack Modules”