LPZW.modules TRAM8 MIDI Converter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Re: LPZW.modules TRAM8 MIDI Converter

Post by kay_k » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 am

MvK wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 am
This would be perfect for me an my octatrack if it could just put out 8 gates of the 8 octas midichannels + 8 CCs. Just like the default FW but on seperate Midi-channels with gate-on on any note. For the CV outs velocity would be more important than 1v/oct, so there is no need to calibrate it AFAIKS. Since I have a sequencer in my rack I use the OT as a 8CH gate sequencer and with the OTs complex but fast rhythmical settings per track and trig conditions that can get very powerful. Resetting LFOs, Use as Clock divider, "rare" gates to switch things....
Hi, IMHO you do not need individual MIDI Ch on the TRAM8 .. you can just set all MIDI tracks to the same channel but change their note.
Basically no need for a different FW there. I am not far up enough my learning curve just yet but I think one can make a template on the Octatrack so you do not have to set it up everytime.
The other suggestion was for the case that you want to use a minimal amount of MIDI tracks but still take full advantage of the TRAM8. (preserving the other tracks for other synths n stuff)

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:13 pm

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Caught a firmware bug today:
seems like devices with continuous MIDI messages could result in hanging gates (for instance Octatrack, MOTU828)

download V1.1 of the original firmware (8 gates+velocity) from our website:
http://leipzigwest.org/?page_id=242

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Thinking about grabbing one of these to go with my sp-2400 that’ll be shipping in a month or two. Seems it would be a fun combo.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm
Thinking about grabbing one of these to go with my sp-2400 that’ll be shipping in a month or two. Seems it would be a fun combo.
Oh, I haven't followed with those. I am surprised they are going to ship already. Nice! Let me know how it works out for you with our module!

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:53 pm

I made a Firmware as discussed before:
Gates as in the stock firmware.
CV Outs are CCs from 69-76 of the same channel.

This way DIGITAKT and OCTATRACK users can save on MIDI channels on their devices by utilizing polyphony but still get to output different CVs. (polyphony on Digitakt/Octa means all notes get the same velocity)
Another nice side effect is that you actually don't need to couple gates and CVs at all (by using gate-less trigs).
You are free to spread over as many OCTA/DIGI MIDI Tracks as you wish.

I am looking for someone to beta check this before I publish it.

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 am

Very nice, would love to beta test it.
don't fold the wave you're riding on

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 am

señor-bling wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 am
Very nice, would love to beta test it.
It is up on the website .. I think I already found a bug tho (misrepresentation of CC maximum value on the output) but otherwise this is fun in combo with Octatrack (I now know I don't need a CV recorder anymore)

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm

OK, stop me if I'm being too enthusiastic… but this thing just got far more useful than I ever expected. With the CC->CV converters detached from the gates, one can also send CV via Octatrack Midi LFOs and/or (conditional!) trigless trigs. Eight of them. With close to no configuration hassle at all. Crazy. Still need to wrap my head around the new possibilities. Perfect Octatrack->Eurorack companion. It's true, some other device might still be needed for Midi->Note CV if that's what you want, but you won't get more Octatrack modulation+gates per buck per HP into your Eurorack than with this.
Erm, right. I'm off, conditionally locking parameters and triggering trigless trigs...

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:07 am

señor-bling wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
OK, stop me if I'm being too enthusiastic… but this thing just got far more useful than I ever expected. With the CC->CV converters detached from the gates, one can also send CV via Octatrack Midi LFOs and/or (conditional!) trigless trigs. Eight of them. With close to no configuration hassle at all. Crazy. Still need to wrap my head around the new possibilities. Perfect Octatrack->Eurorack companion. It's true, some other device might still be needed for Midi->Note CV if that's what you want, but you won't get more Octatrack modulation+gates per buck per HP into your Eurorack than with this.
Erm, right. I'm off, conditionally locking parameters and triggering trigless trigs...
while testing this I accidentally gave my root note a LFO modulation of +1. I was wondering what the fuck is going on here. When I figured it out I was stoked. The Octa is def. one of the most craziest hardware sequencers I ever had.
LFO --> CC is super dope and I haven't even started with the custom LFO shapes.
The only thing I'd wish for is that they would have build in at least two MIDI outs so you wouldn't be crippled by the bandwidth so much (especially when using LFOs).

señor-bling
Common Wiggler

Post by señor-bling » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 am

Yep, with Midi LFOs it's getting crowded rather quickly. Especially since they're always active, even when the transport is stopped. Real bandwidth hogs. That's why I didn't use them much when I had the Octatrack connected to a larger setup. Currently I have it isolated controlling (almost) only Tram8 and an FH-2. Not the perfect setup either, but I'm quite happy with the situation for now.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm

fixed the maximum value => 0V problem. This is also valid for the last version with velocity outputs (V1.1 now V1.1b)
Download from the leipzigwest.org website

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Quick question for users with Windows: how did you upgrade the module, software and MIDI interface. I have a customer who can't upgrade his module and I can't access a PC right now.
(I use SysEx Librarian on OS X - I'm sure I tried a windows thing but I can't remember what I used)

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 am

MvK wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:05 am
This would be perfect for me an my octatrack if it could just put out 8 gates of the 8 octas midichannels + 8 CCs. Just like the default FW but on seperate Midi-channels with gate-on on any note. For the CV outs velocity would be more important than 1v/oct, so there is no need to calibrate it AFAIKS. Since I have a sequencer in my rack I use the OT as a 8CH gate sequencer and with the OTs complex but fast rhythmical settings per track and trig conditions that can get very powerful. Resetting LFOs, Use as Clock divider, "rare" gates to switch things....
you can set the 8 MIDI tracks of the octagon to be on the same MIDI channel. I actually often use one of the tracks for modulations and one or two other tracks for gates, which leaves me with enough free tracks for my other synths

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:19 am

NEW FIRMWARE OUT!!!

V1.2 became necessary because of a change in hardware (revision 1.1) but I took the chance to also solve a point I disliked for a while now:
I combined CC and Velocity firmwares. You can now switch between the two behaviours without loading the other firmware!

1) stop sending midi
2) enter the learn menu - long press on "learn"
3) tap "learn" to toggle between Velocity mode and CC mode (blinking LED is CC, steady LED is Velocity)
4) leave by long press on "learn" or by auto leave after actually "learning" by sending 8 notes as before

download on our website!

tysm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tysm » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Congrats on firmware v1.2 LPZW! For months I've been looking for a suitable MIDI -> CV converter module to use with my Digitakt. Yesterday I came across Tram8 on Modular Grid, and its 8 gates & CV outs seem to fit my needs perfectly. Being able to switch between CC and velocity on CV outs without sending new SysEx configurations (à la Mutant Brain or CV.OCD) is a huge boon for speed and convenience.

I have a couple questions for ya:
  • Now that hardware revision 1.1 is here, would you recommend I order this new rev? If so, where could I find it in stock?
  • Is it possible for the Tram8 to support high-resolution MIDI CC (NRPN) on its CV outputs? Digitakt's MIDI LFOs have the ability to output at 14-bit resolution via NRPN instead of 7-bit resolution via standard MIDI CC. I'm hoping I could use Tram8's CV outs with DT's high-res LFO output.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:38 am

tysm wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Congrats on firmware v1.2 LPZW! For months I've been looking for a suitable MIDI -> CV converter module to use with my Digitakt. Yesterday I came across Tram8 on Modular Grid, and its 8 gates & CV outs seem to fit my needs perfectly. Being able to switch between CC and velocity on CV outs without sending new SysEx configurations (à la Mutant Brain or CV.OCD) is a huge boon for speed and convenience.

I have a couple questions for ya:
  • Now that hardware revision 1.1 is here, would you recommend I order this new rev? If so, where could I find it in stock?
  • Is it possible for the Tram8 to support high-resolution MIDI CC (NRPN) on its CV outputs? Digitakt's MIDI LFOs have the ability to output at 14-bit resolution via NRPN instead of 7-bit resolution via standard MIDI CC. I'm hoping I could use Tram8's CV outs with DT's high-res LFO output.
thanks!

as for the hw rev .. their difference in parts makes no difference for the customer. There is no benefit for you sadly. I had to change some things for ease of production.

the 14bit NRPN .. I haven't looked into that yet. I will do so, but I am not sure if it is so highly beneficial really cos if you have 8 channels of it (plus 8 gates) your your values might be less steppy but time axis resolution will become coarser. I think.

mannerly-rice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mannerly-rice » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:25 am

kay_k wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:05 am
The problem is that the CPU I am using is not the biggest one so code memory is actually a bit limited for a fully do it all MIDI interface.
Another problem would be to calibrate the outputs to an acceptable V/Oct precision. I am evaluating this in the moment.

K
Hi, I have a quick question: Did you get any progress or insights on V/Oct ? Thanks!

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:40 am

mannerly-rice wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:25 am
kay_k wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:05 am
The problem is that the CPU I am using is not the biggest one so code memory is actually a bit limited for a fully do it all MIDI interface.
Another problem would be to calibrate the outputs to an acceptable V/Oct precision. I am evaluating this in the moment.

K
Hi, I have a quick question: Did you get any progress or insights on V/Oct ? Thanks!
good question.
Not really - I mean I have a software that serves as breakout to Novation's Circuit more or less finished (i.e. two mono CV/Gate/Vel + 4 drum gate/velocity + clock) but no calibration for the V/oct yet. To be honest I don't quite know how to do that in a user friendly way.

btw: on my unit the output is already quite accurate even without calibration but maybe thats a coincidence and I shouldn't assume that for all sold units.

dot matrix madness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dot matrix madness » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 am

I've got following problem using the Tram8 (3U) with the Arturia Beatstep Pro:
After pressing the learn button (3 sec) the LEDs are assigned from #8 down to #1,
when I'm hitting the drum pads. The gate signals are present but obviously
the CV outs remain at 0V (confirmed by my volt meter), although the
velocity values are >= 100 (in the drum sequence).
The Beatstep is in default settings (MIDI channel 1).
Thank in advance for any hints!
Licenced to solder since 1993

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:36 am

dot matrix madness wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 am
After pressing the learn button (3 sec) the LEDs are assigned from #8 down to #1,
If you have a new version it probably came with the lastest FW.
It might be set to CC-->Outs not velocity. Go in learn mode; press "learn" short again .. if LED blinks press "learn" short again - LED should light constantly; press learn long again to leave learn mode.

dot matrix madness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dot matrix madness » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:57 am

kay_k wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:36 am
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 am
If you have a new version it probably came with the lastest FW.
It might be set to CC-->Outs not velocity. Go in learn mode; press "learn" short again .. if LED blinks press "learn" short again - LED should light constantly; press learn long again to leave learn mode.
Yes, that did the trick. Thanks for the fast reply!
Maybe update the manual some time. Anyway the Tram 8 is a clever made utility!
(like all your other modules)
Licenced to solder since 1993

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 am

Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:57 am
Yes, that did the trick. Thanks for the fast reply!
Maybe update the manual some time. Anyway the Tram 8 is a clever made utility!
(like all your other modules)
:tu:
will do when I find the time :omg:

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:30 am

Heads up:

I uploaded version 1.2 to the Clocks&Random Firmware.
One change only: This one stops all clock outs when MIDI stop is received. Which remedies some annoyance with devices that constantly send clock messages like the Octatrack or Novation Circuit.
If you prefer the current behaviour: just don't upgrade

chart
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chart » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 pm

I have an Analog Rytm and I've been looking for a midi to cv converter and I think this is exactly what I need!
I don't think anybody has mentioned the AR but if it was made for the Octatrack and Digitakt, it must be perfect for the AR as well.

I read the manual and I just wanted to ask if it's possible to connect the module to the built in MIDI jacks or USB port on the intellijel case with a ribbon cable (or some other way), instead of using the TRS midi input?

:)

PS are they in stock anywhere? are they only available at Schneidersladen?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”