Genki Instruments Wave

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Genki Instruments Wave

Post by SavageMessiah » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

https://genkiinstruments.com/

Has anyone used the Wave with Wavefront module? It looks really cool but I could see it being more awkward than useful since it would pick up everything you do with that hand, even unintentionally.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Genki Instruments Wave

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:55 am

Crickets.

But I am intrigued. Buchla experimented with this sort of thing.

Looks like $200 for the ring itself, and $200 for the Eurorack module.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:27 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:55 am
Crickets.

But I am intrigued. Buchla experimented with this sort of thing.

Looks like $200 for the ring itself, and $200 for the Eurorack module.
Seems a bit pricey to me. I was very interested in this but I can't justify spending $400. Maybe later.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

lylebot
1-Post Wiggler

Post by lylebot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:52 pm

I've been using Wave + Wavefront for a couple of weeks so far, really enjoying it. Like any piece of gear you have to get to know the quirks to get the most out of it. Some random thoughts in no particular order:
  • Basics are on point: pairing was a breeze, the ring feels comfortable to wear and use.
  • The default settings were too sensitive for me, but it was easy to adjust this with Edit Mode. I adjusted the movement ranges for Tilt, Pan, Roll, to somewhere around their maximum ranges, and the sensitivity for Tap to the minimum (without turning it off), I found that very helpful with playability. Obviously attenuation can help here too.
  • I haven't yet found a good way to use Pan and Vibrato outputs individually, so at this point I haven't gotten any real usefulness out of Vibrato specifically, but I'm finding three dimensions of motion are plenty to be keeping track of at once anyway.
  • It's really playable! Due to the sensitivity though I prefer to set up patches that are specifically designed around being controlled with the three dimensions (plus gates from Click, and occasionally Tap), and then once those are set up I step away from the modular and just focus on my hand movements.
  • The little screen is great! It's extremely helpful to get the visual feedback on where you are with Tilt, Pan, and Roll, and I find when I'm playing I'm usually also looking at the screen, though it can be fun to close my eyes too.
  • I wish it had some visual feedback when it's charging; the first time it ran out of charge and I plugged it into USB power, I didn't see any lights go on and I was worried it was broken. But it was fine.
  • Recentering doesn't work how I'd expect it to. I wish when I held the center button to recenter, it just put my current position as the middle point for Tilt, Pan, and Roll, but instead it seems to put my current position as the bottom left of the range? Or something like that? I don't have mine in front of me right now (writing from work) so I can't confirm exactly what it does, but anyway this is a minor gripe. Hopefully in the future they will fix this.
  • Another odd thing related to recentering is that if you move beyond the end of the range (e.g. continuing to move your hand leftward when you're already all the way left in the Pan range) it seems to redefine the range. I see that as a pro since it means I could, for instance, turn around and keep playing without having to explicitly recenter, but it's definitely something to be aware of. Since recentering didn't work how I expected (see above bullet), I usually "recenter" using this approach instead (by moving the extremes until the center is where I want it).
  • I initially thought I might want two of these, but I found that even one takes a lot of focus to get the most out of, so I'll probably be sticking with one.
Anyway all in all I'm having a great time with it. I've been primarily using it with a small case focused on Morphagene, using Click to shift between splices and Tilt, Pan, Roll to control various things, and for that use case it has been working out great. Morphagene is a module I've always loved to play by hand with knob tweaking, so it's cool having another way to e.g. scrub around with the Slide parameter which feels more gestural than just moving a knob.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 pm

I have it and really like it, though admittedly have only had for a week.

I have had a lot of fun in my time using theremins to control the modular. This is similar but with more voltage sources. Am using it through a Sinfonion with the auto gate feature to make melodies/ leads. As @Lylebot says, it’s a breeze to setup and three axis are more than enough, but I am using the others as just random voltage sources.

Only gripe is that I wish the wavefront had another out so you could have two clicks (top and bottom buttons) as find these useful for routing and things like that.

Anyway, it’s lots of fun and would be great live.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:27 am

Is it worth the price of admission though?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”