Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by gtrmstr53 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm thinking of getting one of these and thought I'd check in to see what people think. Does it work as advertised? Joranalogue seems to be pretty well respected, from what I can tell, so I'm assuming it does? Any quirks worth mentioning?

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1788
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by Blairio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 pm

gtrmstr53 wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these and thought I'd check in to see what people think. Does it work as advertised? Joranalogue seems to be pretty well respected, from what I can tell, so I'm assuming it does? Any quirks worth mentioning?
What do you want to use to for? It seems to me that it is not as flexible as something like the Doepfer A-185-2, which is a similar price.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2000
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by cackland » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 pm

Blairio wrote:
gtrmstr53 wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these and thought I'd check in to see what people think. Does it work as advertised? Joranalogue seems to be pretty well respected, from what I can tell, so I'm assuming it does? Any quirks worth mentioning?
What do you want to use to for? It seems to me that it is not as flexible as something like the Doepfer A-185-2, which is a similar price.
This might be true, however the OP may only have the real estate for 2HP

User avatar
Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1788
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by Blairio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 pm

cackland wrote:
Blairio wrote:
gtrmstr53 wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these and thought I'd check in to see what people think. Does it work as advertised? Joranalogue seems to be pretty well respected, from what I can tell, so I'm assuming it does? Any quirks worth mentioning?
What do you want to use to for? It seems to me that it is not as flexible as something like the Doepfer A-185-2, which is a similar price.
This might be true, however the OP may only have the real estate for 2HP
The first step (as we software engineers say) is requirements capture. If the OP wants the module for variable offsets, then the Joranalog isn't the tool for the job, 2HP or not.

User avatar
sko87pro
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:38 am

Post by sko87pro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:59 am

For adding variable offsets, I’m looking at the Shakmat SumDif which is small at 2HP and does a few tricks like sideband and inversion:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-modular-sumdif

Pairing this with my uMod2 will allow me to add variable offsets on both signals going into the ring-mod (TZVCA).

Just for reference here’s the Joranalogue Add 2:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalog ... sign-add-2

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by gtrmstr53 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:13 am

Blairio wrote:
gtrmstr53 wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these and thought I'd check in to see what people think. Does it work as advertised? Joranalogue seems to be pretty well respected, from what I can tell, so I'm assuming it does? Any quirks worth mentioning?
What do you want to use to for? It seems to me that it is not as flexible as something like the Doepfer A-185-2, which is a similar price.
I'm mostly looking to use it to add v/Oct signals together. I have a v2 Rene and 2 Stages, so I should be good on v/Oct sources. Just wanted a small, simple something to add them together.

I liked the Add 2 because it has 2 adding sections, as well as being small/affordable. I looked at the A-185-2 and it definitely looks more feature rich and more performable, but it is only 1 adder instead of two and my patching style is more focused on setting things up and letting it go (instead of doing hands on interactions throughout the patch).

Are there ways you like to use the Doepfer module? Right now I recognize the added functionality but I'm not totally sure how I'd use it. The thing that jumps out is the switches would make it easy to transpose signals at will.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

Post by gtrmstr53 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 am

sko87pro wrote:For adding variable offsets, I’m looking at the Shakmat SumDif which is small at 2HP and does a few tricks like sideband and inversion:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/shakmat-modular-sumdif

Pairing this with my uMod2 will allow me to add variable offsets on both signals going into the ring-mod (TZVCA).

Just for reference here’s the Joranalogue Add 2:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalog ... sign-add-2
Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the SumDif compared to the Add 2? To my eye, it seems like the main difference is the SumDif has the inverted outs while the Add2 can be an adder or averager.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by andybizarre » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm

gtrmstr53 wrote:Are there ways you like to use the Doepfer module? Right now I recognize the added functionality but I'm not totally sure how I'd use it. The thing that jumps out is the switches would make it easy to transpose signals at will.
I like feeding it four attenuated gates (=pitches), coming from clock dividers and/or logic modules. With some simple AND/OR/XOR operations added up using the switches on the A-185-2, followed by a quantizer, cool riffs and melodies can be found easily. For attenuating, a DC-coupled 4in-4out exponential mixer like the Pittsburgh Mixer works best, with linear ones it can be hard to tune in pitches of the lower octaves. The Doepfer precision adder is one of my most playable modules, love it to death.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3600
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:01 pm

This is left-field, larger, and more expensive, but the new AJH Precision Voltages module seems intriguingly playable in combination with an adder.

https://ajhsynth.com/Precision.html

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

Post by gtrmstr53 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

The AJH module does look nice, but probably a little much (especially size/price) for what I'm looking for. Definitely a great looking module though.

User avatar
Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: Ohio, US

Post by Foghorn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Halfway between the Doepfer and the Joranalogue adders sizewise is the VPME.de T43.
In my experience (only with Doepfer A-185) the T43 works better as far as accuracy (keeping notes from a VCO in tune)

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

User avatar
WaveRider
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1656
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Joranalogue Add 2 - Precision Adder

Post by WaveRider » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:41 am

gtrmstr53 wrote:
I'm mostly looking to use it to add v/Oct signals together.

I have the deopfer precision adder... my unit is not precise, but there is an adjustment pot.... I used an intellijel 2hp mixer, and it works fine, so the joranologue should work nicely.

BTW, you can add voltages BEFORE going to quantizer, so you stay in the scale! easier to deal with.... but it is not the same as transposition.

gtrmstr53
Common Wiggler
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:25 am

Post by gtrmstr53 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:19 pm

I ended up going with the Add 2, and it was just the right size to fill a gap in one of my rows.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:53 am

I’ve got a couple of frapp 321 and 333 for this exact reason...such great modules
look up!

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”