New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by r05c03 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Got z5000 the other day. I am little undewhelemed. It seems like an adequate effect module. Maybe it is because I am not clear on exactly what the fidelity control does?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

TTHX
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:48 am
Location: Canada

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by TTHX » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:39 am

r05c03 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 pm
Got z5000 the other day. I am little undewhelemed. It seems like an adequate effect module. Maybe it is because I am not clear on exactly what the fidelity control does?
From the manual:
Fidelity - Is a DSP manipulation technique developed originally for the Z-DSP and brought to this line of effect modules as well. Inside the module is an analog VCO that clocks the DSP chip, the use of an analog clock (not a digitally generated clock) not only contributes to the overall organic sound quality of the module, but also lets you take the effects into new sonic territories with variation of the clock speed. The Fidelity knob in will alter the frequency of the VCO clock with sound effects ranging from pitch shifting and down to total degraded digital noise.

Why is it underwhelming? What were you expecting from it?

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by r05c03 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 am

What is new sonic territories? What is the clock rate and how fast is it? It seems to just smear sounds more than anything else. I guess I think it sounds a little “thin”.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by continuum » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:39 am

r05c03 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:19 am
What is new sonic territories? What is the clock rate and how fast is it? It seems to just smear sounds more than anything else. I guess I think it sounds a little “thin”.
Turn the Fidelity control clockwise for higher clock rate (max is about 32k) and counter-clockwise to decrease the rate down to a few hundred Hz. Lowering the Fidelity control will make the delays longer but also the overall sound darker which can be useful or not. For the brightest full range sound, keep the Fidelity all the way to the right.

The FAQ has more info on Fidelity vs Time:
Question: What is the difference between Time and Fidelity CV?

Answer: The Fidelity control changes the speed of the digital processing sample rate. This can have a similar effect to changing the Time control of delays but the important difference is that Fidelity also changes the entire processing including filter cutoffs, LFO speeds, etc. Lowering Fidelity will increase the delay time of a delay but also lower the cutoff of a low pass filter and slow down an LFO modulating the delay line. The Time control will only change the delay time of that same delay.
edit to add:

The z5000 is intended to cover a wide range of pretty standard effects for all types of music so it tends to have more 'bread and butter' algorithms instead of heavier processing that create more limited special effects. We essentially created it after hearing years of 'I love my Z-DSP but just need a delay/reverb/chorus and 28HP is too much space.'

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'thin'?
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by r05c03 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:45 pm

Idk. It is fine, just not as lush I had hoped. At least so far. It is a very subjective thing.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

User avatar
Duplan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Lyon, France

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Duplan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi everyone !
The other day I had Wogglebug smooth output modulating both Fidelity CV on Echoz and Speed CV on Qu Bit Nebulae V2. When I toggled the CV switch on Echoz to have Time modulated (instead of Fidelity), I noticed it also changed the Speed on Nebulae... Now what I mean ? Like there was some CV bleeding OUT of the Echoz CV input...

Any clue on that ?

Cheers !

User avatar
tta
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by tta » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am

Duplan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi everyone !
The other day I had Wogglebug smooth output modulating both Fidelity CV on Echoz and Speed CV on Qu Bit Nebulae V2. When I toggled the CV switch on Echoz to have Time modulated (instead of Fidelity), I noticed it also changed the Speed on Nebulae... Now what I mean ? Like there was some CV bleeding OUT of the Echoz CV input...

Any clue on that ?

Cheers !
The input resistance for Time and Fidelity are not equal, so you see a slight drop or increase in the Wogglebug output when you switch. That is normal.
Gur
Tiptop Audio

jones
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:51 am
Location: Dublin

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by jones » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Really loving this Echoz module, shimmer delay is gorgeous, considering getting a second one.
continuum wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:02 pm
jones wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:17 pm
Anybody else getting noise/pops/crackles from the echoz module when the fidelity knob is turned to the left from 12 o clock?
At the very extreme counter-clockwise Fidelity setting the noise gets very pronounced which is expected for a sampling rate that low. That should only happen below around 9 o'clock on the pot. Modulation with CV can drive the rate so low that the DSP chip turns off and outputs DC.

continuum
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by continuum » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:15 pm

jones wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:23 pm
Really loving this Echoz module, shimmer delay is gorgeous, considering getting a second one.
Nice to hear! ZVERB has even more Shimmer algorithms to explore.
Tiptop Audio R&D
www.tiptopaudio.com/

User avatar
Arson
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:34 pm
Location: London

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Arson » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:14 pm



Open on youtube if you want to preview modes through description

User avatar
m-m
Common Wiggler
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:50 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by m-m » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:42 pm

Just started to play around the ZVERB and ECHOZ. I would never have noticed that the output is lower if I didn't know it – works fine in a patch. Plus it actually distorts nicely when overloading the input.


User avatar
Franktree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Franktree » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Anyone know when these will be back in stock? I've had one on order with Perfect Circuit since Jan 1, but am still waiting.

User avatar
tta
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by tta » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:11 am

Franktree wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm
Anyone know when these will be back in stock? I've had one on order with Perfect Circuit since Jan 1, but am still waiting.
I’m sorry for delays, we have a combination of high demand but also longer than usual time to get the parts that goes into these effect modules. We should have more ready to ship by April 15.
Gur
Tiptop Audio

User avatar
Franktree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Franktree » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:59 pm

tta wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:11 am
Franktree wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:19 pm
Anyone know when these will be back in stock? I've had one on order with Perfect Circuit since Jan 1, but am still waiting.
I’m sorry for delays, we have a combination of high demand but also longer than usual time to get the parts that goes into these effect modules. We should have more ready to ship by April 15.
No worries. Delays are all that can be expected at times like this. Just helpful to have an update. Thanks.

User avatar
Duplan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Lyon, France

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Duplan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm

tta wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am
Duplan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi everyone !
The other day I had Wogglebug smooth output modulating both Fidelity CV on Echoz and Speed CV on Qu Bit Nebulae V2. When I toggled the CV switch on Echoz to have Time modulated (instead of Fidelity), I noticed it also changed the Speed on Nebulae... Now what I mean ? Like there was some CV bleeding OUT of the Echoz CV input...

Any clue on that ?

Cheers !
The input resistance for Time and Fidelity are not equal, so you see a slight drop or increase in the Wogglebug output when you switch. That is normal.

Thanks for the explanation.

I've noticed something really weird on my Echoz this time.. Feedback and Filters CV inputs are... inverted ! My fback input is actually on the left and the filter input on the right :hihi:

User avatar
Hek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:15 am

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by Hek » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 am

Ppl happy with the sound of these? Owned an effect with the FV-1 chip (flame fx-6) and it _really_ sucked. So i have my doubts with these.

User avatar
zvukoprocessor
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:51 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by zvukoprocessor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:44 am

Here is my Zverb video:
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Cheers!

User avatar
r05c03
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 892
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by r05c03 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Hek wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:14 am
Ppl happy with the sound of these? Owned an effect with the FV-1 chip (flame fx-6) and it _really_ sucked. So i have my doubts with these.
See my comment above.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

outspacer
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Re: New FX modules from Tiptop Audio - ZVERB ECHOZ Z5000

Post by outspacer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Can anyone comment on how well Echoz works for chorus and flange sounds? Looks like z5000 has more options for this, but I'm primarily looking for a delay. Decent flange/chorus would be a really nice bonus though.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”